Magellan eXplorist 100

See the Best Handheld GPS Units in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Bad GPS Don't Bother

this gps lasted me about 3 months two of which it sat in a draw and now it does not start up a waste of money especially if you can't download data
looks great
everything else

Simple to use,position points easily logged. Small as mobile phone. Excellent portability and you always know your relative position. To save batteries remember to switch off when stationary. This greatly increases battery life to last over a couple of days. The fact that it may take up to 15 minutes to log into a new position is minor compared to getting lost. Don,t forget it is an aid and we must have a map and be prepared when adventuring into wilderness.
Compact and simple to use.I use 2 x rechargeable Nimh batteries for about 18 hrs run time. To enter POI (point of interest)simply press mark and then enter and fill in details latter.I use it in vehicle to enable back track in county areas for intersections. Accuracy varies depending on satellites available, surrounding hills etc. but I can still find intersection within about 80ft worst case. Also in canoe for navigating rivers and lake fishing positions. I do not want a map, just a track, as I have maps and basically know the areas. When in canoe or walking I can easily see starting point and direction back to it with distance. For canoe the tide movement is critical for accessing energy needed to return. The date/time function is also good. I did not want a full map with voice over but a method to prevent me from getting lost. I bought what I needed at a reasonable cost. Sometimes we go for to complicated a system when basic is good enough.
I thought I may be able to download a map if needed but as I said this was not essential and after all I paid $250 FROM Dick Smith store in Bathurst.They gave me the downloaded info from web site. I was not spun any tall tails.

Good

Great value for money if you need a basic GPS for measuring speed, distance, and elevation, or for finding your way to a particular location in featureless terrain. I use it to get to map co-ordinates, and to find my way back to certain places in the bush. I also found out that my speedo was not as accurate as I thought at higher speeds using this GPS. I would recommend this for anyone looking for a cheap basic unit.
Besides looking good, this unit is surprisingly accurate, good enough to calibrate a speedometer with. It is easy to use, with large clear display.
Battery life is good especially if you use NiMh re-chargeable batteries.
It is waterproof and rugged enough to take the knocks without damage.
The price is quite reasonable.
The battery compartment cover is a pain to unscrew because the screw is recessed. Probably OK for small fingered person.

Really good value for money. If all you want is a very basic unit for recording locations and finding them again it is excellent. It does not replace a compass and if you want to do more than this buy a more advanced unit.
Small, rugged, waterproof, easy to use and great for bushwalking. Backligt display very easy to read at night
Tedious to enter or edit data manually and slow to scroll through the waypoints. Trip odometer badly underestimates the distance when travelling on foot.