Makita DUH523Z

Makita DUH523Z

MPN: DUH523Z
See the Best Cordless Hedge Trimmers in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Listing monitored by Makita

3.9
  • Safety
Melbourne Chris
Melbourne ChrisGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Very bad design

This hedge trimmer has a two operation safety feature that means you have to pull in a switch on the front bar with one hand and then operate the trigger with the other. Obviously to stop you moving the blades with your finger in the way.
This is a terribly designed feature if you want to use it on a vertical surface such as a hedge front or back. To use a hedge trimmer on a vertical surface you hold the front bar on the side. With your hand in this position the movement required to operate the switch is very limited causing your hand to seriously cramp after 5 - 10 minutes use as you have to use a lot of pressure.

Otherwise the cutting blade is very good and the tool is quite light even with the battery.

Purchased in August 2021 at Just Tools Online store for $242.00.

Colin
Colin

Advertising is so Dishonest

The Box said "18mm cutting diameter", inside the box the instructions say "Do not attempt to cut branches thicker than 10mm in diameter with the tool". You would be hard pressed to describe the way it smashes my 6mm twigs as cutting.

Simon
SimonPerth, WA

Perfect for light hedges.

I have a two stroke Hedge trimmer already which has more power but is 3 times heavier. This little baby is lightweight, and has adequate power to do light hedges. And is better at shaping. Had two 3 amp batteries that came with my drill set. So just need to but the skin. Very happy with this so far.

Purchased in October 2020 at Bunnings Warehouse Retail Stores for $149.00.

PeterSouth East Queensland, QLD

Light and very easy to manoeuvre but just lacking a little in power...

Purchased in June 2020 at Bunnings Warehouse for $149.00.

Cordless Hedge Trimmers

Find out how Makita DUH523Z compares to other Cordless Hedge Trimmers

Kracken72
Kracken72Sydney Surrounds, NSW

Great bit of kit

Bought this cause I was sick of using one with a power cord, a bit concerned that it would not be powerful enough just did all our hedges/shrubs and no issue whatsoever.

Purchased in April 2019 for $129.00.

Ken
KenSydney

Great Value!

This is my first trimmer and i like it! I already have the Makita batteries for this so the choice was easy. I did my research and tossing up between this model or the dewalt 18v battery version. For the cost, quality, safety and subtle looks the decision was for the makita. I don't have a big hedges so the slighter shorter length was fine. Also i dont use the machine very much at all so there was no meed to spemd big. Can't go wrong with the Makita model for residential use.

Date PurchasedJuly 2017
JJSouth Australia

Excellent design, performs well and good value.

This product is very well designed and has excellent safety features. It is ideal for maintenance trimming between major cuts for which I use the Makita 240 volt model. I have just taken 150 mm of growth off of 25 metres of hedge and this tool handled it beautifully on one charge of a 1.5 Amp hour battery. The cost was reasonable at $129 and the decision made easy since I already have the batteries and charger from an earlier power took kit purchase. It is early days but it performs well and is quite durable with good quality steel blades.

Date PurchasedNov 2016

Smart shopping tips to help you make the most of Black Friday sales

Clara V.
Clara V.15 Nov 2021
smart-shopping-tips-to-help-you-make-the-most-of-black-friday-sales
How to be more eco-friendly when you're gifting this Christmas

Clara V.
Clara V.30 Nov 2021
how-to-be-more-eco-friendly-when-youre-gifting-this-christmas
Tim

Easily met my expectations, simple safe and effective.

I purchased this hedge trimmer yesterday for $125AUD after doing some online research. The 36v model was more than twice the price and the specs didn't seem to be that much different so I went for the 18v version. I have already pruned back several hedges and shrubs with absolute ease. This tool is light weight, simple to use, has a fool proof safety system and is powerful enough for the majority of DIYers. This adds to my now 5 strong Makita LXT tool collection and everyone of them is a great tool and no regrets. This one is particularly good value.

Tim

Just some feedback on battery life. I have just pruned around 8 trees/hedges across my entire 800sqm block and the low battery indicator has not come on yet using a 4 amp hour battery so no issues with this chewing through the batteries.