Ryobi OHT1851R

Ryobi OHT1851R

See the Best Hedge Trimmers in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

• Incentivised Review Yes (0%) · No (100%)

Michael P.

A powerful and easy trimmer to use

I bought my Ryobi cordless hedge trimmer OHT 185 1R in 2017 from Bunnings. It is used intensively and has never let me down. It will cut through branches up to the size of the cutter bar. It is important to oil the cutter bar after every use, using SAE 30-40 engine oil. CRC or RP7 is to light!!. A great investment for the garden. My wife loves to use it on her box hedge.

Purchased in February 2017 at Bunnings Warehouse for $149.00.

aceraceQld, 4521

Hard to beat

The hedge trimmer has been a great addition .Battery power ie NO LEADS My wife loves this thing ,it does in minutes that took ages. Saves me doing it!!! My son has one too.

Purchased at Auction for $51.00.

Anna

AnnaBrisbane

Best hedge trimmer

I do my own hedges and also others in the family. This is such a great hedge trimmer.
The long blade ensures I can reach across and makes it easier to get a straight cut. It is not too heavy for me to handle. I have owned it a year and use it fortnightly and it is still cutting well. I am unsure of what to do if the blades dull, are they able to be sharpened? A question I didnt think to ask and get answered before I bought it.

Purchased in March 2018.

Paulk

PaulkSydney

Changed from petrol to battery after 15 years as a lot of my trimming is done on a ladder. Much lighter, quieter and easier to use. The twist grip is handy. Feels just as powerful as the petrol. I already had a 2.5amp battery and bought a 2nd one for this trimmer which I have needed due to the amount of hedges I have. The charge lasts a while so you may be happy with one.

Date PurchasedOct 2018

Karl

KarlSydney

Plenty of grunt

I was hesitant in buying a battery powered hedge trimmer. I convinced myself that I needed petrol or electric to get through my hedges. But the guy at bunnings suggested I try the ryobi one plus. The weight alone was enough to convince me to go with the ryobi. So much lighter than the petrol and electric. I still wasn’t sure it was going to power through the hedges but it more than handled it and battery life is great.

Date PurchasedMay 2017

JohnStevens

JohnStevens

Does the job very well.

Date PurchasedOct 2017

Pat D

Pat DTaree

Delighted

I have a big garden with much trimming required. When I bought the place I started with manual trimming, impossible task. I then tried a corded power trimmer, found this dangerous and inconvenient. Next step was motorised hedge trimmer - this worked well but was much too heavy for me. In desperation I bought this product - at last I found a solution, it cuts great, is lightweight and easy to adjust. I bought a 2.5 ah battery for it and find this lasts multiple uses, never have run out of juice when starting with a full battery.

Date PurchasedJun 2016

DeniseSLaunceston

Fantastic - A back saving device

GazajrGladstone

What a great piece of kit.

Charles

CharlesAdelaide

Massive step up from last model

I was given one of these by Bunnings as a warranty replacement for the last model which the handle broke on.

This thing is excellent. I go looking for things to hedge now. It has a protector on the end on the cutter that protects it when you get low along paths etc, it has a handle that rotates to different angles which makes it a lot easier to use and the switches to make it go (two points of contact) do not require herculean strength to keep it going.

Great product development and a 2yr warranty which has just restarted for me.

George Schaeferasked

how to replace cutting blades

acerace

ask ryobi.,sometimes cheaper to buy a new one!

Michael P.

You don't say why you want to replace them? but if you did you would have to dismantle the whole body to split it apart to get to the whole cutter bar, and unscrew the bolts that hold the bar together. I have done this on a corded Bosh cutter, the principle is the same,just takes a little time and patience. All the best,

George Schaefer

Thanh you for the report.The blade was bent,
Now oiled and unbent.

Alex mal 1

Alex mal 1asked

What is the difference between the ryobi 1851 and 1855 hedge trimmers?

Sorry. I don't know.

DeniseS

Not sure, the 1851 is 18V, it may be the other being 1855 might have a power cord. I would check with Ryobi directly. The power models are normally cheaper but of course the whole idea is convenience and freedom of movement hence the battery models are so much better.

Lukkii
Lukkii

The 1851 is an older released model with mostly the same features as the newer 1855 version. Main difference is the 1851 has a 50cm blade and weights 2.7kg where as the 1855 has a 55cm blade and weights 2.8kg.

Pete

Peteasked

Hi, Bunnings told me today that the Ryobi OHT1851R does not come with the Hedge Sweep but this photo clearly shows it is availed. This would be very useful in cutting my Boganvillea hedge. In fact, it has held me back from purchasing this Ryobi hedge trimmer. Can you please tell me where I can obtain a Hedge Sweep for the Ryobi OHT1851R? Many thanks

Gazajr

Sorry. Mine is battery powered and different to the one you're after. I got mine from Bunnings and they're still on the shelf

DeniseS

Mine came with a hedge sweep, used it once and found it to be a waste of time. Quicker to use a plastic rake and a blower to clean up.
In theory it is a good idea but in practice it doesn't do much. If you really want one go into bunnings and have a look at the box it comes in, well meaning sales people sometimes get it wrong.

Get an answer from our members and Ryobi representatives

Download manual