Osprey Sojourn Series

Osprey Sojourn Series

See the Best Suitcases in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Took this bag on a round the world trip, amazing product!

I went on a 7 month round the world trip and I wanted a backpack that had decent storage space, was durable and could be used as a backpack or wheeled bag.

After weeks of research and reading a hundred reviews on different websites, I finally chose the Osprey Soujourn 80L/28" Hybrid Backpack.

I was super happy with my purchase. During my travels, 80% of the time I used the wheeled function, which is great because the wheels and wheel chassis are heavy duty and can go over cobbled streets, grass and gravel with ease.

When I did need to use the backpack function, the straps were easy to set up within a couple of minutes and the harness was super comfortable with the weight distributed across my hips and core.

I highly recommend this bag to anyone who wants the best of both worlds with a backpack and wheeled bag.

Best of all worlds.

Great product. Well balanced provided you load the heavy stuff at the bottom. Internal pockets for organising smaller stuff and a larger top pocket for things you might want to remove before checking in. Wheels really well and great sturdy and removable harness if you need to back pack it. I don't intend to though! A real back saver after my Osprey Farpoint. It's my concession to age. I love it.

Could be much better with some changes

I travel about 4 times a year and have had many bags. I liked the idea of a hybrid case/backpack. I've owned Osprey bags before and the quality is good but this bag falls short in many areas:
- the shape is all wrong. It's like a big egg when packed so it's somewhat too heavy making it unstable.
- although the bags says it stores 80l I dispute this because even when packed the weird egg shape means there is unusable storage area. Osprey should have made the bag a more square shape.
- the base is too small when the bag is fully packed adding to the instability. The base should have been made bigger.
- because of the egg shape the middle of the bag is way to big. In Europe I had trouble getting down the isle of trains and through train doors as it's just too wide! Again Osprey should have made the bag a more square shape.
- wheels are not wide enough compared to size/shape of bag so even small steps off the sidewalk cause the bag to rock from side to side and often spin over. Sooo annoying!

This could be a good bag but Osprey need to reconsider the design. If I had my time again I would not have bought this bag.

Plastic base, handle went quickly and tips easily.

I got a 80L one back in 2011 to take on an extensive fieldwork trip which included long distance travel through Central and Eastern Asia. This bag let me down in so many ways. Firstly, the telescopic handle became stiff and then jammed. It took some time for it to extend and after the second month, it was completely stuck. The hard plastic base started to fall off by the third month, which was a shame because the wheels were pretty decent.
Admittedly, this bag wasn't treated with much care as I traversed through frosts to sandstorms and desert and being thrown into the back of trucks and on pack animal. Gravel streets weren't kind to it either. That said, I bought this bag because I was led to believe that it could stand such rigors - obviously I was wrong. It is also a bit top heavy, which caused it to tip quite easily when fully packed.
Honestly, the backpack-suitcase hybrid bag still hasn't been perfected in my eyes and in my opinion, the Osprey Sojourn doesn't come close to hitting the mark.

Good for Female - Adjustable spine

I purchased this bag for an overseas trip, because it has the straps and also the wheels. I found a lot of the other wheeled backpacks were too big for me (I'm about 169cm tall) the hip straps where always in the wrong spot and the height of the bag far too big. However, this was the only bag i tried on that i could change the spine length so that the hip straps fit perfectly and the bag was not too big on my back. It is also good that the zip goes down the length of the bag so you can get to the bottom when packing and unpacking, also are a number of compartments within the bag. Visually the bag looks nice and the back straps can be zipped away quite easily. I am yet to take it on the trip, but will edit my review once i am back.

Best luggage we have owned to date

This is top quality luggage, well designed, quality materials and great wheels, world wide warranty and above all it is flexible and very comfortable when used as a back pack (best of both worlds). Not the cheapest on the market but in this instance you get exactly what you pay for, quality luggage that can take a pounding and still look great.