Philips Avent 3 in 1 Electric Steam

Philips Avent 3 in 1 Electric Steam

SCF285/01, SCF285/02, SCF286/05, etc...

Dimitri

DimitriMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

DO NOT BUY!!!!!!

I have never written a review as i do not usually have the time. Although this sterlizer is the worst product ever.
We received this as a gift and we need to descale literally every 2 days, last night 10/12/2019 , upon filling the bottom tray with water i noticed a burning smell halfway through , the bottom tray smoked up , leaving our 4 brand new bottles stinking like smoke ( now unable to use ) and the tray was literally black on one side. Now we have to buy new bottles , a new sterlizer ( I cannot wait " up to a month " for a replacement ) I have no idea why the manufacturer's would take short cuts to make something so bad, possibly affecting my litle one's health if i use the same bottles , pathetic.

Purchased in May 2019 at Baby Bunting.

Kylee V.

Kylee V.Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Cleaning steriliser

Using a white marker sponge will take off the yucky colour it leaves and stained element.
I clean mine with citric acid then during the cpl weeks I dont clean it I use the white sponge works like a treat .

Philips S.Philips Avent

Thanks for your review on here, Kylee - as well as the tip, we're sure that'll be helpful for some people on here as well!

The Philips Australia Team

KatyJ

KatyJBelconnen 2617, ACT

Worked well for a short time then burnt.

We really liked this at first and took care to only use purified water in it to help prevent limescale build up. Soon (after a couple of weeks, maximum) it started giving off a burning smell and there was a brown burn mark on the plastic and burn marks on the metal despite us cleaning it. It's a shame because it is more streamlined and convenient than the microwave versions, but it is higher maintenance.

Purchased in July 2019 at Chemist Warehouse for $99.00.

It Gets The Job Done

I can easily fit in 7 bottles, which is helpful to not spend long periods of time in the kitchen. Unfortunately the element burnt? very quickly, although we followed all instructions. Also don’t like that even when turned off at the wall, if you knock the button when moving it, as soon as the PowerPoint is switched on, so too is the steamer, so keep an eye out for that!

Purchased in December 2018.

SJC

Yes I have tried as per tha manual, it won’t budge.

Harvey WilsonSouth East Queensland, QLD

Sterilised once on the stove....this gave me my time back.

I sterilised bottles once by boiling them on the stove before i decided there has to be an easier way. I load 3-4 bottles, teats and lids into the steriliser and it is done and can be handled in about 20 minutes. It does the work when i have other things to do. I have sterilised Avent bottles as well as a Chicco bottle, which despite having a wider lid, it still fits no problem.

Only negative, it does build up limescale quickly.

Purchased in March 2019 at Baby Bunting for $104.00.

Carly

CarlyGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Do not waste your money!

Purchased this steriliser following a recommendation from a salesperson at our local Baby store. Following first use, the element burnt, leaving the bottles with a horrible burnt smell. I followed instructions to descale, it then burnt again on the second use and large pools of water began leaking from the device. I called customer service and was advised I need to descale more regularly and the leaking is due to warping on the plastic buckets, both of which are not considered faults. I was told there is nothing I can do. I have since thrown the device out and I wish I had done my research before purchasing such a faulty product

Purchased in January 2019 at Baby Bunting Physical store for $80.00.

Patricia

PatriciaSydney, NSW

Kitchen constantly smells of burning even if I clean after each use

Have only used this product a few times as I’m mixed feeding . Using directions provided - I poured water into bottom compartment - switched on steriliser ect... bottom ( element) unit turns brown with each use. Even when I clean after every use. Bottles still smell burnt and Im not sure how safe they are to to use? If they smell burnt do they taste burnt to baby??? Expensive and not worth cost

Purchased in January 2019 for $200.00.

Steam tray burns

Bought this philips steriliser, which i had difficult times with it even though cleaning the tray and bottles thoroughly it still get the burns. Color is changed to brownish burn marks within 2 times of use. I bought it from toys r us. Can't go to the store as it has been closed forever. I am kind of in dilemma.

Tash

TashMelbourne

Love it!

Purchased 3 in 1 Avent electric steam steriliser from Chemist Warehouse in August 2018. Have been using it for 4 months and love it from day 1! It is very easy to use, just put 100ml water in the base, push the button and in 8 minutes you have clean bottles, teats and dummies. It is also quiet. Clean and safe, no chemicals or nasties sterilising.
Beats microwave steriliser as plastic is not meant to be used in microwave.

Andrea17

Andrea17SYDNEY

Quick and easy

Recommended to us by hospital midwife - takes only 6 minutes to sterilise 2 layers of bottles/teats/etc. Easy to uses, just put 100ml of water in the base layer and hit the button - very handy for those midnight shifts! Quite compact, so doesn't take up too much space on the countertop.

George

GeorgeMelbourne

Went through 3 in 4 months!!

We purchased the Avent steriliser from Baby Bunting and thought 'Philips' would be a good brand. Well this has really been a let down. Each one we purchased just stopped working after a month. I thought it was something we may have done, seems like many suffered the same fate. The mechanism (heating element) should be basic and straight forward, something that should have been perfected over the years. I don't see why they should stop working. I hope Philips repaired the ones we returned and didn't through all that plastic in a landfill.

Stops working! Very faulty + overpriced

I have the 3 in 1 Avent Electric Steam steriliser. For my first baby, it stopped after about 5 months use. I got a replacement from Avent after sending in the faulty bottom. Continued to use it for the next 6 months - after continually cleaning and descaling after almost every use.
Just had my second baby; and the product stopped working after about 1 month. I was using a microwave steriliser for quite some time; then just got around to calling Avent customer service again to see what they could do. They said because the 2 year warranty expired 4 weeks ago there was nothing they could do.
Terrible product and SO overpriced considering how faulty it is!
Will be buying NUK instead.

Julia L

Julia LSydney

Quick and easy to sterilize baby items

Stylish steriliser for kitchen tabletop. Doesn’t take up much space but is big enough to steriliser breast pump parts and a few bottles at once. Only takes a few minutes. Only annoying thing is the bottom gets black frequently so you need to clean it with citric acid every week or so.
Love the ease of use. Recommended

Alex

AlexSydney

It works well but hard to clean

This steriliser generally works well but the problem is it is difficult to clean. I wash all the bottles very carefully. The brown stain starts to appear after 2 months especially on the bottom of the white plate. Now I have to wash with vinegar every day and still can't remove the stain. All the bottles and breast pump parts turned yellow. I'm worried as it provides unclean steam for every cycle. I believe this is not covered by the warranty. I'm thinking about replacing the white plate but unsure about the cost.

Jen

JenDunedin, New Zealand

A terrible design

Purchased the 3 in 1 Avent Electric Steam steriliser for $214.99 from Farmers. A terrible design! The hot plate constantly turns a brown colour and smells burnt (we have to clean with vinegar every 2-3 days and it is tricky to remove the brown stain!) and my bottles have started turning a brown colour because of the burning hot plate. We follow all the instructions and put the correct amount of water on the plate before each use. Is also a pain having to remove the main part (where the bottles go) to place water in the base before each use. It would be sensible and a lot easier if Philips invented a funnel to tip the water into! A very basic product at an expensive price. Would not recommend!

Terrible

Much like an explosive baby poop, this baby bottle steriliser has [Word Remmoved] itself twice! The switch on the first one broke within 5 months of use. We then bought a replacement which has the same problem with only another 5 months use. $100 per product is s lot of money for a faulty product as the reviews on this page attest. Severely disappointed and annoyed

1CAUCP1457656

1CAUCP1457656

Dont Buy ! dissapointed

we bought this for our first but,just two weeks stopped working and we had to change. second one was a whole new unit and it was working only for three weeks. we had to change this for the third time. we bought this from toys r us cairns. Now its leaking water from the middle basket. so they gonna replace this as a goodwill.. they said IT'S NOT COVERED UNDER WARRANTY
had too much hazels with this product for this six months.

Adam

AdamBrisbane QLD

Misunderstood - Huge help

These things seem to get bad press mainly because folks do not know how to clean them. A little white vinegar and sometimes some heat and we are golden!
We have Prem twins, and this thing helps us SIGNIFICANTLY.
The modular construction is flexible, it has a short run time and is very convenient.
Plastic and rubber/nitrile do need drying post cycle.

Becky

BeckyAU

Waste of money

Bought the newborn natural avent pack on 2/12/16 and everything working well for a two weeks. Then the steam steriliser stopped working. Managed to exchange product on 27/12/16 ( thanks baby bunting you're awesome) and this morning 5/01/17 this one stops working ??? I think Phillips should recall the product as this is ridiculous I'm going to get a microwave steamer and stay clear of avent.

Lware

LwareLeeds

Worst thing I've ever bought.

By far the worst product I purchased for my babies. Not only does the machine leak the plate is so burnt I'm afraid to use it as like others have said my bottles smell like burning. I now cannot afford or have time to replace having new born twins so have resorted to a plastic box and sterilising tablets. May I add I followed every rule in the book.....cleaning more than once a week, wiping after use and correct amount of water

Sharan

Sharanasked

Hello
I bought my Philips Avent sterililizer in india..it was working fine in india all time but i have recently moved to US..the sterilizer is not working properly, as in the orange light never turns off, indicating that the sterilization process did not complete properly. Do i need to buy some coverter, and if yes which one? I bought one converter 220v -110v but with that the sterilizer is not switching on. Kindly suggest.

JAH

JAHasked

Hi there. Please help us. I can't press the switch on/off button of my avent 3 in 1 steamer. Why? Hard to press the button and i don't want to force it. But whenever i plug it in the steamer becomes hot easily. I just don't know why i cant press the switch. Thanks

Philips S.Philips Avent

Hi Jah. Thanks for reaching out. It's very odd that you're having some issues with turning on your Avent steamer. We'd advise reaching out to our colleagues directly, so they can look into this for you. They can be reached at 1300 363 391 (Mondays to Fridays: 9:00 am - 7:00 pm EST) for Australia and 0800 658 224 (Mondays to Fridays: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm) for New Zealand.

We're looking forward to hearing from you. :)

The Philips Australia Team

Moni

Moniasked

Hi, I've been using this sterilizer for over a week, and when the cycle finishes the bottles are always a little wet. Since today I've noticed that at the end of the cycle the bottles are dry. I don't know if it si normal or if something's happened?I've read the manual and lots of troubleshooting pages but couldn't find an answer. Thanks.

Harvey Wilson

Mine are always a bit wet as is the inside of the steriliser.

Hi Moni,

Thanks for your question. It is indeed quite normal that your bottles are still slightly wet at the end of the cycle. :)

Philips Consumer Care