Philips Avent 3 in 1 Electric Steam Steriliser

Philips Avent 3 in 1 Electric Steam Steriliser

SCF285/01, SCF285/02, SCF286/05, etc...

1.9

Kellie

KellieSouth East Queensland, QLD

Did a descale and now all my bottles smell burnt

It states on the machine to regularly descale. I did this and then the next time I used it, all my bottles came out smelling burnt. I also had my Spectra breast pump parts in there and they are also now ruined. This will cost me a lot of money to replace. I really liked this steriliser until I followed the instructions and did a de scale.

Purchased in March 2020 at Baby Bunting for A$169.00.

Jyoti Pun

Jyoti Pun

It has served me really well.

I used the avent 3 in 1 electric steriliser after having my first child on Feb 2017 and I am still using the same one after my second child on 2019. The steriliser is working perfectly with never any issue. I sometime descale it using lemon juice and warm water and this cleans the steel part perfectly.
I have loved this steriliser so much that I have gifted it to a couple of good friends in their baby shower. And they say they have loved it too. Infact, after I am done using this steriliser, I intend to give it to another friend who is expecting a baby in 2020.
My experience with this steriliser has been nothing but great. I absolutely trust and recommend this product as I have had a good run with it.

Purchased in February 2017 at Chemist Warehouse.

Dimitri

DimitriMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

DO NOT BUY!!!!!!

I have never written a review as i do not usually have the time. Although this sterlizer is the worst product ever.
We received this as a gift and we need to descale literally every 2 days, last night 10/12/2019 , upon filling the bottom tray with water i noticed a burning smell halfway through , the bottom tray smoked up , leaving our 4 brand new bottles stinking like smoke ( now unable to use ) and the tray was literally black on one side. Now we have to buy new bottles , a new sterlizer ( I cannot wait " up to a month " for a replacement ) I have no idea why the manufacturer's would take short cuts to make something so bad, possibly affecting my litle one's health if i use the same bottles , pathetic.

Purchased in May 2019 at Baby Bunting.

Bottle Warmers & Sterilisers

Find out how Philips Avent 3 in 1 Electric Steam Steriliser compares to other Bottle Warmers & Sterilisers

Kylee V.

Kylee V.Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Cleaning steriliser

Using a white marker sponge will take off the yucky colour it leaves and stained element.
I clean mine with citric acid then during the cpl weeks I dont clean it I use the white sponge works like a treat .

Philips S.Philips Avent

Thanks for your review on here, Kylee - as well as the tip, we're sure that'll be helpful for some people on here as well!

KatyJ

KatyJBelconnen 2617, ACT

Worked well for a short time then burnt.

We really liked this at first and took care to only use purified water in it to help prevent limescale build up. Soon (after a couple of weeks, maximum) it started giving off a burning smell and there was a brown burn mark on the plastic and burn marks on the metal despite us cleaning it. It's a shame because it is more streamlined and convenient than the microwave versions, but it is higher maintenance.

Purchased in July 2019 at Chemist Warehouse for A$99.00.

It Gets The Job Done

I can easily fit in 7 bottles, which is helpful to not spend long periods of time in the kitchen. Unfortunately the element burnt? very quickly, although we followed all instructions. Also don’t like that even when turned off at the wall, if you knock the button when moving it, as soon as the PowerPoint is switched on, so too is the steamer, so keep an eye out for that!

Purchased in December 2018.

SJC

Yes I have tried as per tha manual, it won’t budge.

Harvey Wilson

Harvey WilsonSouth East Queensland, QLD

Sterilised once on the stove....this gave me my time back.

I sterilised bottles once by boiling them on the stove before i decided there has to be an easier way. I load 3-4 bottles, teats and lids into the steriliser and it is done and can be handled in about 20 minutes. It does the work when i have other things to do. I have sterilised Avent bottles as well as a Chicco bottle, which despite having a wider lid, it still fits no problem.

Only negative, it does build up limescale quickly.

Purchased in March 2019 at Baby Bunting for A$104.00.

Carly

CarlyGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Do not waste your money!

Purchased this steriliser following a recommendation from a salesperson at our local Baby store. Following first use, the element burnt, leaving the bottles with a horrible burnt smell. I followed instructions to descale, it then burnt again on the second use and large pools of water began leaking from the device. I called customer service and was advised I need to descale more regularly and the leaking is due to warping on the plastic buckets, both of which are not considered faults. I was told there is nothing I can do. I have since thrown the device out and I wish I had done my research before purchasing such a faulty product

Purchased in January 2019 at Baby Bunting Physical store for A$80.00.

Patricia

PatriciaSydney, NSW

Kitchen constantly smells of burning even if I clean after each use

Have only used this product a few times as I’m mixed feeding . Using directions provided - I poured water into bottom compartment - switched on steriliser ect... bottom ( element) unit turns brown with each use. Even when I clean after every use. Bottles still smell burnt and Im not sure how safe they are to to use? If they smell burnt do they taste burnt to baby??? Expensive and not worth cost

Purchased in January 2019 for A$200.00.

Steam tray burns

Bought this philips steriliser, which i had difficult times with it even though cleaning the tray and bottles thoroughly it still get the burns. Color is changed to brownish burn marks within 2 times of use. I bought it from toys r us. Can't go to the store as it has been closed forever. I am kind of in dilemma.

Tash

TashMelbourne

Love it!

Purchased 3 in 1 Avent electric steam steriliser from Chemist Warehouse in August 2018. Have been using it for 4 months and love it from day 1! It is very easy to use, just put 100ml water in the base, push the button and in 8 minutes you have clean bottles, teats and dummies. It is also quiet. Clean and safe, no chemicals or nasties sterilising.
Beats microwave steriliser as plastic is not meant to be used in microwave.

Andrea17

Andrea17SYDNEY

Quick and easy

Recommended to us by hospital midwife - takes only 6 minutes to sterilise 2 layers of bottles/teats/etc. Easy to uses, just put 100ml of water in the base layer and hit the button - very handy for those midnight shifts! Quite compact, so doesn't take up too much space on the countertop.

George

GeorgeMelbourne

Went through 3 in 4 months!!

We purchased the Avent steriliser from Baby Bunting and thought 'Philips' would be a good brand. Well this has really been a let down. Each one we purchased just stopped working after a month. I thought it was something we may have done, seems like many suffered the same fate. The mechanism (heating element) should be basic and straight forward, something that should have been perfected over the years. I don't see why they should stop working. I hope Philips repaired the ones we returned and didn't through all that plastic in a landfill.

Stops working! Very faulty + overpriced

I have the 3 in 1 Avent Electric Steam steriliser. For my first baby, it stopped after about 5 months use. I got a replacement from Avent after sending in the faulty bottom. Continued to use it for the next 6 months - after continually cleaning and descaling after almost every use.
Just had my second baby; and the product stopped working after about 1 month. I was using a microwave steriliser for quite some time; then just got around to calling Avent customer service again to see what they could do. They said because the 2 year warranty expired 4 weeks ago there was nothing they could do.
Terrible product and SO overpriced considering how faulty it is!
Will be buying NUK instead.

Julia L

Julia LSydney

Quick and easy to sterilize baby items

Stylish steriliser for kitchen tabletop. Doesn’t take up much space but is big enough to steriliser breast pump parts and a few bottles at once. Only takes a few minutes. Only annoying thing is the bottom gets black frequently so you need to clean it with citric acid every week or so.
Love the ease of use. Recommended

Alex

AlexSydney

It works well but hard to clean

This steriliser generally works well but the problem is it is difficult to clean. I wash all the bottles very carefully. The brown stain starts to appear after 2 months especially on the bottom of the white plate. Now I have to wash with vinegar every day and still can't remove the stain. All the bottles and breast pump parts turned yellow. I'm worried as it provides unclean steam for every cycle. I believe this is not covered by the warranty. I'm thinking about replacing the white plate but unsure about the cost.

Jen

JenDunedin, New Zealand

A terrible design

Purchased the 3 in 1 Avent Electric Steam steriliser for $214.99 from Farmers. A terrible design! The hot plate constantly turns a brown colour and smells burnt (we have to clean with vinegar every 2-3 days and it is tricky to remove the brown stain!) and my bottles have started turning a brown colour because of the burning hot plate. We follow all the instructions and put the correct amount of water on the plate before each use. Is also a pain having to remove the main part (where the bottles go) to place water in the base before each use. It would be sensible and a lot easier if Philips invented a funnel to tip the water into! A very basic product at an expensive price. Would not recommend!

Terrible

Much like an explosive baby poop, this baby bottle steriliser has [Word Remmoved] itself twice! The switch on the first one broke within 5 months of use. We then bought a replacement which has the same problem with only another 5 months use. $100 per product is s lot of money for a faulty product as the reviews on this page attest. Severely disappointed and annoyed

1CAUCP1457656

1CAUCP1457656

Dont Buy ! dissapointed

we bought this for our first but,just two weeks stopped working and we had to change. second one was a whole new unit and it was working only for three weeks. we had to change this for the third time. we bought this from toys r us cairns. Now its leaking water from the middle basket. so they gonna replace this as a goodwill.. they said IT'S NOT COVERED UNDER WARRANTY
had too much hazels with this product for this six months.

Adam

AdamBrisbane QLD

Misunderstood - Huge help

These things seem to get bad press mainly because folks do not know how to clean them. A little white vinegar and sometimes some heat and we are golden!
We have Prem twins, and this thing helps us SIGNIFICANTLY.
The modular construction is flexible, it has a short run time and is very convenient.
Plastic and rubber/nitrile do need drying post cycle.

Ingy Mandouh

Ingy Mandouhasked

3 in 1 Electric Steam Steriliser

Hello, i am using the sterilizer now for my 2nd baby, which i had bought for the 1st 8 years ago, once i plug the cord the orange light is on, it works and i see steam, but it does not turn in to green nor turn off automatically. I'm in Egypt so is there anyway i can have it fixed? or do i just unplug it after 6 mins?(as i know the cycle is 6 mins). thx

Philips S.Philips Avent

Hello there, thank you for your message. Check to see if other electrical products will work on the power outlet. If so, connect the sterilizer to a working power outlet. Did this not solve the issue? Please contact us. You can reach our product team directly on 1300 363 391 (Australia), or 0800 658 224 (New Zealand) from Mondays to Friday: 7:00 am - 7:00 pm EST. They'll be happy to help.

Kind Regards

Seema Faraz

Seema Farazasked

3 in 1 Electric Steam Steriliser

Hello. Will be sterilizer show steam coming out?
Mine is not showing. It did the first time only. Please guide about how to know if its functioning properly? And the steam part ?

Hello Seema,

Thank you for your question. That is correct, the sterilizer should give off a bit of steam. If your sterilizer doesn't, please reach out to our product specialists at 1300 363 391 (Australia) or 0800 658 224 (New Zealand), so they can take a look at it for you. They'll be happy to help.

Pink F.asked

3 in 1 Electric Steam Steriliser

The sterlizer immediately started the moment I plugged in. The power on and off button is not functioning am i doing something wrong?

Dani S.
Dani S.

I just bought mine yesterday and it is also doing the same thing...i was wondering the same as you.

Philips S.Philips Avent

Hi there. Thanks for taking the time and write this review. We are sorry to hear that you are encountering some issues with the Sterilizer, and we understand it is disappointing. Did you try and check if the power button is stuck? Perhaps cleaning the are around it can help. Also, is there any visible damage on the appliance or the cord that could cause this? We recommend contacting the following numbers in order to get further assistance: 1300 363 391 (AU) from Mondays to Fridays: 9:00 am - 7:00 pm EST and 0800 658 224 (NZ) from Mondays to Fridays: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm.

Kind regards,
The Philips Australia Team.

Pink F.

Thanks for the reply... i plugged in the cord and it automatically started sterilizing so I let it complete the sterilization and the power button switched off by itself once it's done. Now it's working fine I hope it doesn't happen again

Get an answer from our members and Philips Avent representatives