Bayer Profender

Bayer Profender

See the Best Heart & Intestinal Wormers in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

10 year old cats are having reactions.

The female has a large bald spot on the back of her neck where the medicine was applied. The male is lethargic and in some pain but this could be a result of the vaccines as well. The large dose Profender was applied by the vet three days ago. I do believe in routine de-worming but I am concerned. I feel the vet should have warned me of the possible side effects.

Purchased in July 2019 for $38.45.

My cat had a horrible reaction

Right after applying this to my cats neck (between shoulder blades) she started running around acting crazy. I thought it was just because I had put medicine on her neck. Shortly after, she was drooling and gagging and constantly licking like something was in her mouth. She was acting aggressive toward our other cat and started looking like she felt really bad. After having it on about 15 minutes she was just getting worse so I put her in the bath tub and washed it off. Luckily she seems to be back to normal after bathing her. The vet recently used this on my other cat and he did fine but I definitely won’t be using this again.

Purchased in July 2019 for $23.00.

Horrible experience

Vet suggested a preventative deworming. It’s 3 AM and my two playful cats are now very sick. All balled up, not moving. Unresponsive. Been trying to wash this stuff off using dawn for dishes. Will contact different vet in AM to see what needs to be done to reverse the effects. Do not use! This stuff is pure poison.

First time user.

Like many others I read the reviews after I had used it. Glad I did or I may not have bought it. After years of torture to the cat and myself trying to force tablets down his firmly clenched jaws ... We will suffer no more. He was fine with application, was happy ( as happy as old cats can be) after and apart from a restless belly, 24 hrs on, he is his normal whiny, self centered, slightly crazy, ignorant self. Definitely recommend to those who have awkward cats.

Do not give to cat.

Within 12 hours of first administering to our younger cat, he started having severe seizures, completely unresponsive, appears near death, we put it right between shoulder blades so he couldn't have ingested it. Obviously having a reaction to it because he has not taken any other meds and no other lifestyle changes.

Purchased in June 2019.

He has died, approx 14 hrs from first admin it to him. We are shocked and saddened. Awaiting a call back from his vet.

Do not use

I bought this treatment from my vet and applied it to the back of my cats neck. He ran off terrified and all his fur on the back of his neck has fallen out. He looks terrible. I washed it off. I feel bad for using this. Never again.

Purchased in April 2019.

Dreadful product! I will NEVER use it again!

Painful damage caused to beautiful pedigree Norwegian Forest cats:
When I applied the Profender to the back of my cats’ neck, he ran away crazily. He was petrified and acted feral. I believe the solution smarted him. He remained distant and fearful of me all day. He has been left with a large patch of missing fur, with sore red, weeping skin. Frighteningly, the patch is getting bigger. I’ve applied sudocream (vet suggested) to the area. My poor beloved friend. He is not his usually loving self. I am distraught! My aim was to maintain his health, not cause a chemical burn. I don’t know what else to do. Bathe the area? Leave alone? I am just so worried, I don’t know what he will suffer tomorrow. At least I had the good sense to separate him from my other cat, (also treated) so at least he didn’t lick him. He also has missing fur (no burns seen yet) but he is quite subdued. I can’t think what the damage may have been, if this stuff was Ingested. We are caring owners, these pets are our family and we love them. We visit the vets; pay for prescriptions, administer the meds, all to keep them well. I can’t believe I have subjected them to this trauma.

I am disposing of the remaining packets (2 x cats whole year treatment).
Another worry is where will we apply the next flea treatment (if indeed my cat recovers)?

Purchased in October 2018 for $10.00.

Instant violent reaction after Profender

I just gave our cat Profender to prevent worms. He instantly vomited, got a violent reaction and started runnning around like crazy foaming out of the mouth! And this is a strong cat who has had zero healthproblems. We put him in the shower rightaway to rinse it of as we recognized rightaway that this is not ok! We got it at the vet but I guess vet’s are prone to visits from pharmaceutical companies too. A vet apparently is no guarantee that this product is safe! The 1,12 ml pipet is for cata 5 to 8 kilo’s, which we already thought was quite a large range as our cat is only 5,8 kilo. It seemed the recommended 1.12 ml was way too much. He seemed ok after rinsi g it of but I hope there are no delayed symptoms. And this cat did NOT lick the product! If this were for people it would be of the market. DON’T BUY THIS PRODUCT!!

Purchased in May 2019 at Direct Vet Supplies for $19.99.

Profender for cats

I am a reputable breeder with a spotless, national reputation and thousands of followers. I’ve used Profender for over a decade on hundreds of kittens / cats with excellent results and zero problems. It is very safe and can be administered to pregnant cats as well as kittens older than 12 weeks or 2.5 pounds. It is effective as long as you do not bathe the cat within one week on either side of the application date. There is absolutely no need to have a positive fecal prior to using it. In fact regular worming is not a bad idea as many cat owners miss the symptoms. Never underestimate the power of coincidence; cats / kittens can come into contact with a multitude of poisons in the environment that produce the same side affects. I have over 15 years of experience in feline health and am not affiliated with Bayer. Purchased from vet - always.

Purchased in May 2019 for $12.00.

Hate it

Gave this to my cat today was from the vets was weighed for her so was ment to be right. Four hours later I'm at the vets cause she can't stand or walk properly without having to flop down on the ground she was then having really bad tremmers in both of back legs and could hardly walk. Then was sick 3 times in the carrier. And now has had to have her stomach pumped and on a drip and they still don't know if she is going to make a full recovery cause she still can't walk and having tremmers. She was poisoned/overdosed by the wormer even though she was weighed and given the right weight for her weight.

Purchased in February 2019 for $16.00.

I’m very concerned

My vet administered Profender to my 9 week old kitten. Shortly after we got home Oliver began to vomit. He threw up one live worm. Then the diarrhea started....and the vomiting continued. He drank a lot of water but refused to eat. Every time he drank, up it came. The next morning he appeared to be much better so I didn’t contact the vet. However he has never returned to “normal.” He’s 11 weeks old and he acts like he’s 11 YEARS old. He doesn’t play, he didn’t regain the weight he lost while he was sick, he’s not an active kitten anymore. I’m devastated. He’s seeing the vet tomorrow and I hope they can give me an answer as to what went wrong. Please don’t let your vet dose your cat or kitten with Profender. It’s nothing but poison!

So far, so good. Bought direct from a Vet.

I do not trust meds & this has bad reviews. I recently lost a cat after he was given CONVENIA ANTIBIOTIC shot for an earache, and he had died 2 weeks later for anemia. After all my research, come to find out, several pet parents' animals died from Convenia, and it has a Facebook page full of victims (see Convenia Adverse Reactions Facebook page.) Fast forward: I adopted a cat to help somehow get thru the heartache. She hasn't acted right since I got her. Monday (5 days ago) she puked up worms. I called the vet immediately and went in and got the Profender, brought it home and carefully put it on her, although terrified since the last Vet med killed my boy. However, my cat has done well, and pooped out worms 3 days later. Disgusting. She has roundworms, and this led me to tremendous research. Something to keep in mind is that if they're worms, they can "infest" the cats insides and get into their lungs. This can cause everything from lung disease to fatal heart condition. I am now panicked, hoping this stuff does the trick. I've seen some reviews of people saying the cat randomly died. Trust me, I am trying to find a way to go after Zoetis, due to the death of my previous little boy. But here, I am thinking that it may be possible that the deaths may have been from extreme cases (not sure) of infestation. Yes, infestation can kill them. Next time you have a vet sell you this stuff, do not accept it without a fecal sample. Bring a poop sample to the vet with you and always have them test it. If it's positive, ask to see the results via email. If your vets are prescribing it with no tests, I question if they are just trying once again to make money. I'm angry that I asked my vets "tech" and in typical know-it-all fashion (which identifies most techs who pretend to be vets) the tech said, "Nope, no said effects." Now I know now that she is either a complete idiot, or she blatantly lied after reading all the stories. But at least for now, my cat has had no side effects other then eating a little less. That would be normal though, because roundworms would have been causing her to eat more before. So eating "normal" now may be perceived as "eating less". Just saying, check into exactly what type of worms your cat has. Even Google the scientific name for it. Then, research the MEDICAL STUDIES from actual scholarly articles. Don't listen to Google. I saw so many blogs with crap "advice". But I did find that apparently, millions of cats can have worms and pet parents have no idea bc they may show no symptoms. Strange cough or heavy breathing? Check for worms. Vets are undereducated idiots in many cases. They're going to think "upper respiratory... Take this pill." They may never even suspect worms, so be diligent, book an appt, and don't tell them you're bringing in a poop sample. Just bring it in and hand it over and don't take drugs anymore until you have verified results of which illness it is. These ripoff vets are robbing us blind. Hope this helps and remember to be your baby's advocate. And always be careful of buying online. We have no idea where this stuff is really coming from.

Purchased in February 2019 at Veterinary clinic for $21.00.

Two weeks and tons of squirming tape worm segments still in stool

I applied the medication to the back of my cats neck just as the vet instructed but it didn't kill any worms, and in the two weeks since application there seems to be more squirming tapeworm segments in his stool, which contain the eggs that he licks up again.

Purchased in January 2019 at Barclay Hills Animal Clinic for $25.00.

Never again !

This product was suggested to us for all of our cats. We will never administer again. After a few minutes our one cat licked the other (before we could get to him) and began running back and forth foaming at the mouth .. We cleaned him up and gave fluids. He seems fine now but will watch very closely and be calling the vets in the morning to let them know. This was a very scary situation to witness.

My cat passed

I gave this to my cats 1 is ok the other one passed away within 30 hours i am heart broken wish i never use this

Cat Foaming at the mouth

Do not buy this product. Within minutes of application, my cat started foaming. Like others, I wished I'd read the reviews and side effects first. A little foam would have been bad enough but this was freaky scary. Gave my cat a bath right away (minutes ago). He seems calm right now but I'm still watching him closely.

I am with everyone else: this is poison

My 2 1/2 year old male Flame Point Siamese is strictly indoors, but developed flea worms from getting fleas, probably from my fenced garden. I brought him to the vet immediately. A year ago, my other cat got the same thing and she got a shot and was fine. This year, with this cat, I was told that the vet was moving to a topical oil. I really wanted the shot, but she said this was better. I didn't know what it was called. On my receipt, it says "Profender" so that's how I came to this website. He was OK the rest of the day, but seemed lethargic. He became really lethargic overnight and I woke up to white tufts of fur all over my house! I don't know from where on him it's coming. He's all white. He's gotten worse throughout the day and I called the vet. He seems drunk or out of it or both. I am keeping an eye on him and I have had both cats' charts marked NO MORE PROFENDER for either cat, ever. Right now, he's lying sprawled on my work desk, slumped onto his front paws. He's never done that. I am watching him closely. It's been 24-hours.

This worked well and no issues

I was initially concerned after I read the reviews. However, I had already put it on my cat! Like someone else said, it wouldn’t be in the market if it was dangerous. So much more convenient than trying to get my cat to swallow a tablet.

Dangerous!

Gave this for the second time to my cat, on vet's prescription. First time I did not notice any side effects. Second time, though - as the cat hates spot-on treatments (and any other treatment for that matter), he moved and the treatment trickled down his side. Next day cat was fine in the morning but I came home after work to find him dragging his behind and falling sideways. Took straight to the vets - the vet said he was definitely intoxitated but said it was not down to this treatment as he had had it previously. Yes but maybe he did not get a chance to lick it. When I asked whether it was safe, the vet who prescribed it said perfectly safe, if cat licks it, it would only cause drooling. Well, it caused intoxication and a bill of £220 to be put on drip overnight. Not happy that vets flog this poison to indoor cats who are at minimal risk of getting worms and can easily be treated if they catch them, anyway. Bayer must be cashing it in and bribing vets to prescribe it. Never again! Now researching the flea treatment that the same vets prescribed as I don't trust them anymore.

Severe Bowel reaction

When given, my cat experienced severe bowel evacuation.....never had worms, just a huuuge bowel discharge that seemed like 5 days worth in amount within 2-3 hours of administration. 3 huge balls in my room, in living room, and on him. I can only imagine what discomfort internally my cat felt. And there was no need for this application....no fecal was ever done, it was just a gimmick by the cat vet to gain money on the annual checkup. Thank goodness my new vet only worms with a (positive fecal) check.

Never again. No need to put chemicals in our pets if it is not justified.....dangerous.

(Seeing former vet received a box of "Profender promotional items", recently, which inc toys for her cats, from Bayer, shows vet possibly pushes Profender due to gifting veterinary clientele to pitch the use/sales of their product IMHO.)

This vet had dismissed my worry as to the amount of my cat's fecal reaction as a "little diarrhea"in her notes I later saw......far from it!
I changed vets...my confidence in her gone. Something I felt, was just not right, I had to get answers.

My new vet, listened. My cat's system became slow after that dose, becoming impacted suddenly one day. New vet took Xrays ....revealed megacolon!! He was always fine before the Profender. Normal BM. Just occasional firm stool if he drank less. Kitty now on meds and special food. New vet very much appreciated!

My former vet put my cat's drug reaction on the WRONG pet!!! And, she just worms because a small "SHELTER cat survey showed cats had worms on necropsy missed by fecals", (but what type fecal was done?)...(flotation or centrifugal)..and besides...(those were not indoor-only, flea spot-on monthly- well-cared for, cats)... Idexx Labs and Cornell, and many many vets, advise annual CENTRIFUGAL fecals (the gold standard), to identify nematodes, and other diseases, and other testing, to guide a cat's care. To just worm an otherwise healthy animal, without an annual fecal, is IMHO, reckless, and adverse to wise protocol, and many a feline has paid the price, as we see here. See: http://www.idexx.nl/pdf/en_ie/smallanimal/education/dx-consult/routine-fecal-exams.pdf

Can you use this if a cat has a wound from being scratched?
Do not put this product near a wound! It caused both of my cats to lose the fur on their upper backs where the Profender was applied. The large pink spot on the female cat does not look healthy and I am considering taking her back to the vet in case of infection.Thanks Kelledont use it at all there are other ways to de worm cats and dogs without making them sick

Does anyone know if Profender has after effects? My mother treated our kittens with this a few months back just as a preventative measure. I didn't want her to use it at all after I read the reviews. But she thought it was fine. They never had any adverse reaction at the time, but one of our cats keeps getting mysterious, reoccurring infections. She first had a sore on her ear which went after a course of anti biotics, and various trips to the vet. This was a about a month ago and now she has the same thing again but much worse, on her ear, the back of her neck and her paw and face was swollen. The vet keeps giving topical treatments, steroid injections and is only now referring her to a skin specialist. They can't figure out what it could be other than a possible allergy but I thought it was worth considering the drug could actually be the cause? The dermatologist could cost thousands once this is over, they are insured but a lot of things haven't been covered in the insurance. She doesn't go out and is very well looked after so this has been very strange – Has anyone else noticed anything like this, months after using Profender? -Thank you so much in advance

Two kittens were literally dumped at my front door about two months ago...too young to be taken from their mother. I've fed them extra good food, & a milk substitute for cats. One has always been a little scrawny & underweight, but has eaten well & had a high energy level. Lately she's not been as active, & is not eating as well, & I've suspected (or worried) that perhaps she was wormy, although I haven't seen any worms...but am seeing that membrane in her eyes now. I went by the clinic about a week ago and got their work medicine, which was Profender, but have yet to administer it because I'm not sure that she weighs two pounds. With her obviously not feeling up to par, I had decided to administer it a few minutes ago, reluctantly, but decided to first see what reviews I could find on it. Now I'm afraid to put it on her, but don't want to let her go untreated. Is there another product that is safe & effective, that anyone knows of? I'm concerned. Thanks in advance!
I would use Drontal, it is just as effective, cheaper and I don't now anyone who has had reactions like with Profender. If you search around the net there is official information from Bayer that Profender shouldn't be used on sick cats, I don't know why this isn't included in the information leaflet in the box... it would have saved me a lot of heartache.I would give her an oral worming tablet of some sort. When they are kittens the pills are easier to administer.Please don't give this to them. Trust me.

• GTIN14: 09310160811622 and 09310160811707