Seagate Expansion Desktop

STBVx000300, STEB5000300, STEB4000300, etc...

KillaWhat

KillaWhatSouth-Eastern Region, NSW

Large Capacity But Don't Leave Them Running!

Purchased in February 2017 at JB Hi-Fi Retail Stores for $199.00.

Travis

TravisPerth, WA

Currently using the HDD in my NVR with no issues

I purchased this SEAGATE 4TB EXPANSION DESK HDD from Officework, I imediately extracted the HDD to use in my NVR. Absolutely no problems with the drive so far, i'll update this review if it experiences issues in the future.

Purchased in August 2019 at Officeworks Online store for $99.00.

Matthew Cardier

Matthew Cardier

Useless cheap garbage.

I've actually had two Seagates, the first one stopped working pretty quickly and I never did try to get a refund. The more recent 4TB actually worked about 9 months before screwing up. My computer failed to read it, switching it on and off again would sometimes work but I have just tried to format and transfer files again to the drive, and it is not working. Cheap useless rubbish, don't waste your money.

Date PurchasedDec 2015
Portable / External Hard Drives

Find out how Seagate Expansion Desktop compares to other Portable / External Hard Drives

Adam Dale

Adam Daleadamdale148@yahoo.com

At least it fixable!

Date PurchasedAug 2017
CoolVooky

CoolVookyGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Value for money

Being a external hard disk I use it as a Archive of my personal photos, videos..
paid 150$ and I feel its worth it .. 30$ / TB to save your memorable moments what i see.
Personally, I trust seagate harddisk as it has never failed for me.. *Touch wood

Date PurchasedJune 2017
rad

radBrisbane

Do not attempt to buy this product.... use at own risk

Date PurchasedMay 2015
WHITE SNAKE

WHITE SNAKESnake City

Terrible Seagate poop

These HDD stop working exaclty im talking E Xactly about a week to a month before the warranty is overdue. Every single time without fail they stop spinning, stop letting you access the data, the cord wont even work properly that goes to the HDD and other factors. Even upon getting one HDD back under warranty repaired it stopped working 3 months later again.

Then i went to the seagate website for data recovery they are charging 600 to 1700 to send it in , if there software online doesnt work, which it never does.

It wreaks of scam! con and set up and revenue raising ,
What a stinker!!!!!

Other companies seem to charge 4 times less the price for data recovery and their HDD lasts 3 times longer.

Date PurchasedFeb 2015

Don't trust Seagate External Drives. Take care.

I bought a new "Seagate Desktop External Hard Drive 5TB USB 3.0" and after 3 months it crashed.
I need it to store all my backups that I had in several Small HardDisks.
All my works of 15 years were lost them all :(
Of course, Seagate offers me a branded new HD. But that don't help me in recover my lost life works.
Search for another brand.

Date PurchasedAug 2016
Irdioc

IrdiocBrisbane

DO NOT BUY Seagate for your data backup needs

Date PurchasedMay 2016
Portable / External Hard Drives

Constantly dismounts during file transfers.

You can't leave these drives unattended during large backup tasks, as they frequently dismount and remount, requiring the user to constantly respond to error dialogues to keep the process moving. Don't expect to set off a large backup task, and come back a few hours later to find it finished. You'll only be disappointed.

Repression

I have 3x of your desktop 2tb hard drives. Well it does say 2tb but even after formatting I only get 1.81tb.
To me this is just an out right untruth if I was to only get 1.81tb please indicate that is what I am buying. Yes you may need to add things into the driver for me to use BUT not at my expense. Will no longer buy this product or recommended it.

no reliability

2 drives have failed in the same service over a 2 year period. The drives were being used on a LG TV to record TV (ie as a PVR function). Perhaps they are not suitable for this use. I would look elsewhere. You might ask why buy a second when the first had failed ?. Benefit of the doubt and they were on sale at the time.
And to the IT expert no these drives sat in one spot well ventilated and suffered no physical damage

Ian M

Ian M

New and Not working

My PC running Windows 10 would not recognise the drive. Tried the trouble shooting, to overcome a drive number conflict. Says it is online but "unallocated". Still doesn't recognise it. Makes the USB sound when plugged IN and OUT, still does not appear in File Explorer. It's going back. I tried it with my Panasonic twin tuner PVR, and it did recognise it and seemed to copy files onto it.

Annoyed!

Annoyed!Tuggerawong

Disgusting! Dont waste your money!

Had it for a year then it just stopped working! Tried everything to get it to work but no joy. It's just a piece of crap. Regretting this purchase! Don't buy it! Don't waste your money! This brand is supposedly a top brand but that's a crock if you spend $180 for the product and then it stops working a year later! Disgusting product!

melb_tim

melb_timGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

This works Great!

I bought this as an external drive for my Xbox One. Its working fine I have had no problems. It is important that you have the Xbox turned on before you plug it in for the first time or it wont be seen but if you plug it in to the Xbox while the Xbox is turned on and then power it up it is detected and formatted straight away and it works perfectly.

I have seen some bad reviews of these drives on here and as an IT professional I must say that I find them hard to believe.

I would point out that all Hard drives with moving parts are very fragile and an external drive is not something you can throw around like a USB stick. I suspect many of the people that have had multiple failures of these drives are not handling them correctly.

Waste of money

Pathetic

I am disgusted with the Seagate Expansion hard drives, i have the 2TB desktop one, they are not cheap!! this is my second one in just over 2 years now out of know where this one decides to stop working it is pathetic I am not wasting anymore money on a money hungry company!!! this is pathetic and if I could get my money back I would!!!! I am going to announce to all my friends what a horrible hard drive it is, this company should be investigated or shutdown!!!!!!!

Sickofwastingmoneyonrubb

Sickofwastingmoneyonrubb

Garbage

Don't waste your money on this piece of garbage, will not work at all, no lights, no noises, no nothing, tried on 4 different machines, complete waste of money, might be useful for a paperweight I guess, or a perhaps sinker :(

AntonMelbourne

Major issues with file systems, speed and compatibility out of the box but solved it

Tammy

TammyPerth, Western Australia

Never Again

2Tb external hard drive, have had 2 in the past 3 years stop working, lost everything, only used at home so doesn't get bounced, but never again will I get another.

fptrasked

Expansion Desktop

I have about 35 seagate drives and all have worked reliably over the years and have failed more than segate and toshiba and hitachi rarely fail before you buy check the stats on backblaze and u can what drives fail under pressure?

Marg K

Marg Kasked

Expansion Desktop

Interested in a portable external hard drive to hold my music (13000 + songs) - was thinking of the Seagate 4tb. Need something easy. Any views?

fptr

go for toshiba very reliable

Jules

Julesasked

Expansion Desktop

I have a Seagate desktop hard drive. Worked fine for a year and now I can't get power to it. My boyfriend has one and he only used it twice and now the same problem has happened to his. Any ideas what has happened or how I can fix it? I've tried a new power supply and still won't work on either hard drive. Frustrating!!

krisget
krisget

If your power supply plug came in two parts, you may have loosened it slightly with plugging in and unplugging. That was my initial problem with my hard drive. The power supply plug came in two parts (probably cheaper overall with different plugs internationally). When I put it together it looked and seemed ok, but it wasn't, no power at all. I found out by accident that this power supply does actually work. I went to plug it into a power board and it was a bit stiff so I leaned over it and put some force on it. That's when I heard a click and yes there was power running through it. So all along it had been the connection between these two parts that was the problem. I had put it together properly, but it just had not quite connected properly. Originally I snapped it together with my fingers holding it in my hands and would have plugged it in as normal pushing it in with my fingers, but when I got it to work and heard that click - I used my hands and leaned into it pushing the plug into the power board. The other option is to find a power supply that is sealed and comes as one part and not two, but I believe the power supply output needs to be the same (eg 12v - 1.5A). This will be on the power supply itself. Try the power supply on something else (making sure of the matching output still). That way you will know for sure if the problem is something to do with the power supply and not your hard drive. If it is the hard drive (hopefully not as you may lose data/files) it may still be under warranty. I believe Seagate has a three year warranty. Good luck.

See all Seagate Expansion Desktop questions

Compare all 5 Seagate Expansion Desktop
Seagate Expansion Desktop STEB3000300
  • Discontinued

Seagate Expansion Desktop STEB3000300

No reviews yet
CategoryPortable / External Hard DrivesPortable / External Hard DrivesPortable / External Hard DrivesPortable / External Hard Drives
Compare all 5 Seagate Expansion Desktop