Sentinel Spectrum
See the Best Heart & Intestinal Wormers in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Brand Manager for Elanco? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

Lesley
LesleyPerth, WA

Great product .. works well

I have used this on my Beagle for 8 yrs without any issue .. Seems to work well and never found any fleas as yet ..
she swallows it whole though not sure if that makes any difference ?

Purchased in January 2021 for $75.00.

Traumatizing

Both of my tiny dogs eat just about anything but, I have to fight both of them literally tooth and nail to get one of these little pills down them! This morning I didn’t do it very well and one of my dogs couldn’t breathe because it got stuck in her throat. Very traumatizing!!! Will never use your product again!

Purchased in April 2021.

Will Not Give To Dog Again

My daughter gave her dog this tablet about a month ago. A few days after giving the tablet to her dog, she became lethargic and would not eat her dog food. My daughter mentioned that her dog usually takes the tablet without any issues but this time she would not take it. She placed the tablet in her dog food, but she would not eat from her bowl for days even after after removing the tablet and cleaning the bowl. 2 months later, I spoke with a dog owner who said her Chihuahua had to go to the vet after taking Sentinel. She said he would throw up and had seizures and that lasted for a week. I told my daughter not to give her any of the remaining tablets.

Purchased in February 2021.

My dogs hate it.

I have 3 dogs that are NOT picky eaters. They will not touch these things. They will lick peanut butter off of them. I've wrapped them with cheese. Nope. Nothing will get them to eat them.

Find out how Sentinel Spectrum compares to other Heart & Intestinal Wormers

Terrible and a waste of money

I bought a 6 pack of the Sentinel spectrum chews. My dog eats almost anything, even poop, but she won't eat these things. I had to slather the chew with peanut butter for her to take it. The chew then made her so sick that she threw up.

What a waste of money.

Purchased in September 2020 at Pet Circle for $84.00.

Do not give to Australian Shepards .IMO.

I have heard specific (anecdotal) reports saying it is potentially deadly for that breed.
It is suspect in our niece's Australian Shepard's death, as well.

That said we have given it to our three standard poodles and a husky/shepard/dobie mix successfully.

Raw meat, butter or cheese is their preferred camouflage. Not peanut butter.

Purchased in January 2009 at Pet Care Pharmacy for $65.00.

Side Effects None
Pet Type Dog

Frightening Reaction

My 14 year old pomeranian had a terrible neurological reaction. Extremely restless, vomited, had a dazed look, back leg twitched, at times collapsed, symptoms bad for a week, dissipated after 3 weeks.

Purchased in August 2019 at Ridgeview Animal clinic...Omaha Ne for $53.00.

KateRiley88
KateRiley88Southwest, VIC

Made my dog lethargic and not eat

The day after I fed my border collie a sentinel chew, he stopped eating for two days and stopped drinking water. He had diarrhea, was really lethargic and not his normal self. Took him to the vet and he was really dehydrated. They gave him a nausea injection and $370 later for a weekend emergency appointment after hours he was eating again. Do not feed this to your pets.

Purchased in June 2020 for $150.00.

Cathy
CathyGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Sick dog

I gave this to my Aussie Bulldog for the first time last night and she has been vomiting ever since. She keeps arching her back like she has a sore tummy and is lethargic. So annoyed as this cost $140 for 6 months worth and we won't be using it again.

Purchased in August 2019 for $139.00.

Side Effects Short-term illness
Pet Type Dog

Linda McMahon
Linda McMahonMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Terrific product and well-priced

I have been using this product on my Maltese Poodle for a few years now and never had an issue. She has never had a negative reaction to the product and gobbles it up each month just like a treat! Gives me peace of mind that she is protected from nasties.

Purchased in February 2019 for $80.00.

Steve Little
Steve LittleBrisbane

Effective but expensive

Our small dog has had no issues since using this product. We have to wrap the pill in ice-cream for him to eat it though and this is OK as its once a month. The RRP on this is outrageous and with an automated on-line search I can still get it for around $13 per pill buying packs of 6 or 9. The dog does still get the occasional Tick and we have to inspect him every day basically for Ticks. No issues with Spectrum other than the cost.

Purchased in March 2018.

This is an awful medicine that made both our dogs sick

Our bigger dog 50 lbs is very lethargic and not acting her normal self. Our little dog 10lbs has had bad diarrhea and extremely lethargic. Neither dog is acting normal.

Purchased in May 2019.

Joy
JoyPerth, WA

dosn' t work on fleas

Maybe it works on worms but didn't seem to have any effect on fleas. It says on the packet it will not kill fleas but prevents re infection. Both my dogs had fleas during treatments. "did the dogs pick the fleas up from outside"? well the fleas today were tiny so seemed to be new borns. I am going to change products but in all fairness we have people visiting us everyday with their two dogs and have cats so maybe impossible to control xx

Purchased in August 2018.

Hilary
HilarySouth East Queensland, QLD

Excellent Product

I have used Sentinel Spectrum for many years and have seen zero side affects.
The product works well and we not had fleas or worms.
I highly recommend it from puppy through to an aged dog.

Purchased in December 2003.

Never use this for your loving dog!

I gave this to my dog on December 31st because I was off of work and like to monitor a reaction, of any. From this day on, and it is now Jan 8, my dog has rarely had anything to eat. One side affect of this drug is anorexia. I have never experienced this issue with my dog and would appreciate further studies to determine if this drug is safe as I really dislike the idea of having further vetenary bills on top of what this medication costs. So, the manufacturer needs to put out a warning to dog owners and veterinarians that this is a big problem.

D. booth
D. boothasked
Spectrum

I have sentinel spectrum but it expired 1/21/21, today is 5/16/21, is it still ok to give?

Karen O.
Karen O.asked
Sentinel Spectrum Yellow (Medium Dog)

Can I give my dog her dose 6 days early if I find fleas?

Marva D
Marva D

I would wait because the fleas you are seeing are probably adult male fleas. The ingredient (Lufenuron) in the tablet targets the eggs of the female flea not adult fleas.

Missy
Missyasked
Spectrum

If my dog ate two doses of sentinel to accident—his and my other dogs—should I worry?

Maximus S.

• Sentinel Spectrum Green - for small dogs from 4-11 kg
  • Sentinel Spectrum Yellow - for medium dogs from 11-22 kg
  • Sentinel Spectrum Blue - for large dogs from 22-45 kg

Dosage

One chew per month should be given to your dog, with a meal. All 4 versions of the product require application every month. This medicine is designed to be used on puppies 6 weeks old and over.

The taste - not a fan favourite for dogs

This is a beef and bacon chew, and Sentinel claims that ‘97% of dogs accept them straight from the hand.’ However, several reviewers reported that in reality, this was far from the truth. This was the case even for those who gave positive reviews. Many reviewers resorted to methods of food camouflage, such as disguising the chews in: ice cream, cheese, peanut butter, and raw meat, to entice their dogs to eat the medicine. Sometimes this worked, however more likely than not it didn't.

Positive reviews

These were given on the basis that the reviewer’s dog didn’t experience any adverse side effects after taking the medication, and that the product worked at effectively preventing the growth of new fleas, heartworm and tapeworm.

Negative reviews

Sentinel states that dogs can experience temporary adverse reactions to Sentinel Spectrum. According to the brand, these side effects usually disappear within 24 hours, and are commonly a result of overdosing.

These signs include: depression and lethargy, pruritus (the intense need to scratch), vomiting and diarrhoea.

Negative reviews were often written due to prolonged and extreme side effects caused by this product. Along with the side effects cited by Sentinel, they also included nausea, loss of appetite and weight loss. Sometimes symptoms lasted for a few days, and sometimes they lasted for three weeks. Both were noticably obvious and caused reviewers to become concerned for their pets' welfare and health.

Compare all 4 Sentinel Spectrum
CategoryHeart & Intestinal Wormers and Tick & Flea Control ProductsHeart & Intestinal Wormers and Tick & Flea Control ProductsHeart & Intestinal Wormers and Tick & Flea Control ProductsHeart & Intestinal Wormers and Tick & Flea Control Products
Application TypeChewableChewableChewableChewable