Shakespeare Ugly Stik Gold Series

Shakespeare Ugly Stik Gold Series

See the Best Fishing in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

johnsonb21

johnsonb21Richmond-Tweed, NSW

Improved my casting

I have returned to fishing after 20 years, dusted off my old gear and discovered my casting was terrible, I threw left or into trees, lost a few lures in the process. Thought I would give the little Ugly Stik a go as they were on sale at Dingas. Parcel arrived a few days after ordering, well packed and such a beatiful well finished rod. I put my old Shimano Aerocast reel on and suddenly I could put lure where I wanted it to go, beautiful smooth action on the Ugly Stik was a great improvement, caught a couple of little Bass, super stoked.

Date PurchasedNov 2018

Very Disappointing

I Bought the Rod from Anaconda & took it home, while setting it up I found their was Fractured between 3rd & 4th Guides.I returned it to shop & asked for replacement but was only given a credit.
As they no longer had Uggly Stiks in stock. Didn't even get to try it. very disappointed.

Date PurchasedSep 2018
Ed.

Ed.

Great rods

Date PurchasedJun 2017

Strong and well made

I have a 12 ft medium beach model which suits the Alvey reel. Really well made, rugged blank, I think justifies the hype and performs well. High quality components and manufacturing. Nice to hold, very comfortable. I haven't really used it enough but going to change that with some more fishing this weekend. Recommended highly.

Date PurchasedMar 2016

GO the Ugly Stick!

Had a 5ft 6 lite O/H for 20 years, used it for estuary shore, boat and even inshore. Caught hundreds of fish. Sold it when I had no boat. Roll forward to my new boat and I brought another brand graphite 6ft spin for squid/bait catching - snapped it first use. So I bought this "new"Ugly Stick for bait catching - its just as durable, responsive and solid as I remember the old classic. Did cost about $100 but for any non-finesse boat use, the Ugly Stick is an ideal choice. Classic good looks with crisscross metallic binding. Run this with an Exceler 2000 (metal) and 6lb braid. Best for bait and jigs. Super-strong, should last a lifetime.

Date PurchasedJun 2016

Vince

VinceCaboolture

Ugly stik

I am very happy with my new Ugly Stik After braking my 2-5 kg i had to get a good quality rod one name came to mind Ugly Stik as they have been around for a long time in the fishing world performance and even the feel of the rod Good quality fittings
How light it is

TREVOR

TREVORsydney

Ugly stick usg-ohd56a

I recently bought a 5foot 6 inch ugly stick for use with my beach rod egg beater, it worked well while trolling of laparouse with a lure this rod is special because it has a dual spine which means its suited for overhead and egg beater [bait castor] use i reckomend this rod for first time outside boat fishermen.
For what this rod can do for the price is spectacular.
For 100 dollars aust you cannot ask for more.

Slazmo

SlazmoSouth East Queensland, QLD

• Selected Review

Shakespeare Ugly Stick 'Travel' - won me over.

dennis

dennis

absolutely a brilliant rod for 4kg line when matched to the catala 200, totally reliable
Comfortable in the hand, very flexible during a fight so the fish really has to work

Valerio P.

Valerio P.asked

Hi someone knows the weight of the gold series or from where I can find it PLEASE??? Because IT LOOKS IMPOSSIBLE!!!

Coutta

Couttaasked

Found a Shakespeare 1.5 MTR ugly stick gold bury in mud with reel striking out of mud up the Murray, just wondering if these are a kids rod? PS cleaned up like a new one

Stable

If it still has the model number on it then just Google the number. Or measure the length and look up the Ugly stik golds that are around that length. You can bend it and compare to a known rod you have to compare what rating it is approx. I don't know if they make a kids rod but I don't think they do. Great find.

OldSalty
OldSalty

Hi, re the Ugly Stick, the other reply is along the right lines (no pun intended). Most rods will have the weight rating on their labelling above the foregrip. With lighter duty rods this usually equates to the line strength you would use, eg: 1 - 3 kg equals you should use 1 to 3 kg (2 to 6 lb) line, etc but once you get to about 8 or 10 kg rod rating, the rods start to handle much heavier line eg: An 8-10 kg rod should have 10 kg minimum line, with 15kg quite suitable. I thnk US Gold would max out at an 8 or 10 kg model. Also, rods (beach rods excluded) usually get shorter as they go up in weight rating, as the shorter the stiffer and stronger. If its 1-3 kg it'd be suitable for fish to about 2 or 3 lb and from a boat or kayak. Won't cast too far. If its heavier then suitable for a larger reel and heavier line and cast even less well. I don' t think US make cheap, crappy "kids" rods.

Get an answer from our members and Shakespeare Fishing representatives