Stihl HTA 85

Stihl HTA 85

See the Best Hedge Trimmers in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Do not by anything from stihl with the battery option as it is just not worth it

I purchased a Stihl polesaw thinking I was buying a good quality product. The chainsaw works great but after two and half years you need to replace the battery ( Ap300 and Al300 charger ) if I knew this previously of buying the product that every two half years I would have to fork out another $300, I would have NEVER purchased this product. The polesaw has only been use 3 times in it's life. The battery is kept in it's original box. With moisture absorbers in the box. The reason why I'm pointing this out is because sthil are telling me it is the way that the battery is being stored, and that is why the battery is not working. But I am sure this is the same way it gets stored in there store.
Don't get me wrong I do understand that the battery would need to be replaced at some stage but I would have thought that it would have lasted a lot longer then 6 months after the warranty runs out. You pay a lot of money for this product and you would expect quality. On Stihl website they actually do say the reason why the battery system cost so much is because you are buying a high quality product. So can someone please explain to me why the life span of the battery is so bad. Has anyone else had the same problem? When we took the product into the dealership, we got no where, it's not there problem. We have contacted stihl Australia and they are sending us around in circles.

Purchased in April 2016 for $1,150.00.

Best pole saw I've had

Had a petrol powered & a mains powered pole saw in the past.
This thing is lighter & cuts a lot better than either of the previous ones I've had.
Around 20% duty cycle, it went all day, pruning the fruit trees.
Would be nice if it extended a bit further, but no matter how long it extended, there would always be something out of reach.

Date PurchasedApr 2018

Great hype. Dead after 1 hour

Had gas unit and had carb issues so I bought bare unit hta 85 as I have the chop and chain saws. It cut small stuff for less than one hour less than 50 duty cycle. Started on larger stuff 6". Made two cuts. Then unit died. 3 bars flashing. It sat for an hour. While I used battery saw for an hour cutting 6" stuff unit ran 30 seconds. Dead again.

Date PurchasedMay 2017

I am thinking of buying a Stihl HTA 85 cordless pole pruner, and would appreciate any comments from owners/users about the capabilities of the product.
HI Trex, I bought one of these over a year ago and I'm having trouble with chain lubrication. I Don't know if it's an intermittent blockage or a design fault. Either way the service department were just a waste of time and they've had three goes at it and I've run out of warranty so I will not use it unless I ever get a chance to fix it myself. Like any product these days I wouldn't buy it unless you read a lot of good reviews about it as warranty usual means nothing for any brand cos there just aren't enough good tradesmen left to go around to all service departments. However if you have time to exercise you consumer rights then you might want to risk it because it does work very very well and I would have electric any day rather than petrol cos they are far more reliable. I have quiet a few other Sthil battery products and they all work very well. Battery power is not quiet as convenient as you might think cos it is not a good idea to store them fully charged, if you do you will shorten the battery life. It's an unfortunate fact about lithium ion batteries. It' s a bit inconvenient for me as I sometimes get very narrow windows of opportunity to cut the grass. I would have preferred 240V for all my tools but I needed a mower first and Sthil only made a battery mower then it seemed logical to buy the next tools that use the same battery. Good luckI have similar issues with an HTA85 purchased in New Zealand - I will be exercising my consumer rights if needed as the unit is used domestically only and will be covered by the NZ Consumer Guarantees act. All my other Stihl tools are excellent.

HTA 85