Sunbeam MultiCooker Deep Fryer DF4400 / DF4500

Sunbeam MultiCooker Deep Fryer DF4400 / DF4500

DF4500 and DF4400

Absolute Garbage!

We purchased this unit based on its brand name and it's simple rounded design similar to the ones owned by my parents and grandparents in the 1980's. I must say that this unit is TERRIBLE. It doesn't heat up enough to fry a hot chip and what heat it does have is instantly lost when food is added. I am not sure what has happened to the old SUNBEAM electric cooking devices that were once reliable staples of any kitchen but these days they are all cheaply made imported rubbish that essentially ruining a what was a strong legacy.

Purchased in April 2019 at Big W Retail Stores for $69.00.

Does the job

I have had my Sunbeam MultiCooker Deep Fryer for about 6 months. I've used it only deep frying chips, wedges, potato gems, mini dim sims, mozzarella sticks and chicken nuggets.
Although a little slow to heat oil fully, I have no complaints with the end results. Crisp and tasty food

Purchased in August 2018 at Big W Online Store for $69.00.

Hi vickiovens1965, Thank you - again for your review. Just like the FP6910 review, we hope you continue to enjoy the DF4500.

Works well, except when it doesn't

I've had 2 of these now, both with the same problem as others seem to have had. Works well at first but after a while the heater just stops working. Both times that mine conked out, I had just done one perfect set of chips, then went to do the next batch and they just sat in the oil looking like a bunch of anemic soggy uncooked potatoes. Should have taken it back but couldn't be bothered a second time :(

Date PurchasedApr 2016

Good deep fryer

I purchased my deep fryer as I was in the market for one. Got it a great price. I am very happy it fries chips perfectly. Haven't tried it's other functions yet as I am so happy with its frying capabilities and tend to only use it for that. It cooks my honey chicken nice and crispy.
Glad I didn't see the reviews before buying as I may not have purchased it, made me realise reviews are great although your own experience may not be what others have experienced.

Date PurchasedAug 2018
Thanks for the great review Bec!

not suitable as a deep fyer

I bought this a couple of months ago, probably used it at least a dozen times by now. I bought it as a deep fryer, for no other reason. It's advertised as such so should be fine. The quality of the pan is great, no problems there, it's easy to use, easy to clean etc. It only has one problem and it's a big one! it does not get hot enough for deep frying. I've tried 3 different types of oils but it makes little difference, after heating up for about 30 mins, it's still only 142 Celsius. Anything I cook in it ends up greasy, undercooked, pale as it fails to brown. This product is clearly not suitable as a deep fryer! you are warned.

Date PurchasedMay 2018
Hi Peter, sorry to hear the unit is not heating as desired. Please return to store with your receipt as this product is normally very popular as a fryer with great results.that's not borne out by the myriad of negative reviews, complaining of exactly the same problem, i.e. this unit does not heat the oil hot enough for deep frying!

Worst purchase ever

The oil doesn't get hot enough the chips have to be cooked for a long time to get crunchy but they just end up oily and soggy and they don't brown up. Buyer beware. Do not even think about buying this deep fryer it is a waste of money. No way does the oil get to 180 deg .

Date PurchasedOct 2016

Works perfectly.

I have had my Sunbeam MultiCooker Deep Fryer for some years now. Have used it for deep frying, stewing fruit, boiling vegetables and as a slow cooker to make stews and casseroles with cheap cuts of beef.
I have always been pleased with the results I achieve with this appliance.

Date PurchasedDec 2010

Absolutely perfect.

I don't know why other people are having problems with this I almost didn't buy it but very happy I did the oil gets more than hot enough for deep frying anything you need easily deep frys frozen chips and haven't had any issues with oil not being hot enough mine was bought from BIG W.

Date PurchasedApr 2017

Deep Fryer that can't deep fry?!?!?!

My young children bought this for their father for his birthday. How disappointing that it cant even get hot enough to cook frozen chips!!!!!!! The chips came out white like they hadn't even been cooked. Wish we had of spent our $69 on something that he could use. We would like a refund but I guess that wont happen

Date PurchasedJan 2017

sunbeam deep fryer

not long ago I wrote a review about the seal the seal on my sunbeam pressure cooker gave up on that one I also bought a SUNBEAM deep fryer the plug in cord failed after a few days got a replacement 2months later the heating element stopped working so that's it for me no more sunbeam products the quality in their products is just not there

Date PurchasedAug 2016

Great unit But!

I wrote a review of this deep fryer in 2014 a few months after using it on the Good Guys website, I was able to evaluate how it performed. I am writing this now because it has stopped working! With only a couple of things to go wrong, I was surprised that it stopped working, there are no moving parts and the only things that can go wrong is that the element stops heating or the control which has a built in thermostat stops working, in my case the control stopped working, it lights up as if it's on but the element doesn't heat. It's lucky I have another control for the Sunbeam wok and that works a treat to replace the one for the deep fryer. Sadly a replacement control costs around $30, still it's cheaper than a new deep fryer.

Date PurchasedDec 2014
Hi BenOz, I do apologise for the issues you encountered with one of our Sunbeam products. Your feedback is much appreciated and will be passed onto the product team. Kindest Regards Sunbeam

Good little deep fryer

I was worried about buying this after so many bad reviews but it pretty much does exactly what it says it does. I don't fill the oil past the mark and mine heats up quite quickly. I don't fry a lot at once and it works just fine. I haven't used it for anything other than deep frying yet and can't fault it. It is more expensive that many other fryers but i like that i can do soups and other dishes in it too.

Date PurchasedAug 2016
Hi Melskik, Thank you for your great feedback on the Sunbeam DF4500! Its great to have a unit with more than one functionality! If you require any further advise or information on the unit, please don't hesitate to give our Customer Care Team a call on 1300 881 861 and one of our representatives will be more than happy to assist. Kind Regards Sunbeam

So far so good

It worked for me.the first time so Im happy
The oil got hot in a reasonable time and it cooked potato chips just fine,l then I did some frozen chicken 'tenders' in the same oil, which were also good n crispy.
Just like any frying you need to give the oil time to reheat in between batches.

Date PurchasedJul 2016
Hi Caffinuk, Thank you for your great feedback on the Sunbeam DF4500! If you require any further advise or information on the unit, please don't hesitate to give our Customer Care Team a call on 1300 881 861 and one of our representatives will be more than happy to assist. Kind Regards Sunbeam

not great!

I brought this specifically for frying donuts. when I set it up on maximum and on for over an hour only heated to 175 degrees. pretty sad really then I came on here to see if anyone else had issues. glad I did! I was going to exchange it for another one thinking it was faulty but after reading all these having same issue may return it and get my money back. thinking i'm pretty lucky now to be getting 175 degrees out of it. pretty poor if you ask me. especially considering the price of the item.
This item definantly needs to be taken off the market!!!

Hi Michelle K I do apologise for the issues you encountered with one of our Sunbeam products. Your feedback is much appreciated and will be passed onto the product team. SunbeamThe issue i have is with all these comments on this particular product why is it still on the shelves. It should be taken off and fixed or dont sell it. Its not cheap. If it was $20 it'd be oh well it wasn't that expensive. But for that price it shouldn't be on the shelves anymore.

Product not as advertised

Sold as a deep fryer but does not get to the temperature required. Says in the manual that it can get to 210 degrees but only got to 145c. This is no where near enough to deep fry no matter how you pre cook or dry the chips. Don't waste your money on this, it's crap as a deep fryer.

Hi Fast Food Freak, I do apologise for the issues you encountered with one of our Sunbeam products. Your feedback is much appreciated and will be passed onto the product team. Sunbeam

piece of crap!!!!

its a rort!!!!! its not a deep fryer!!! temp goes down as soon as you put food in!! YOUR FOOD WILL SOAK IN OIL AND IT WILL NOT COME UP TO TEMPERATURE!! I called customer service and they gave me a spin on how it should work eg: if using frozen chips you need to thaw the chips and then dry them thouroughly then cook them???? ??? why would I buy frozen chips If I need to thaw them first???!!!!! Then she told me the manual says that temperature drop is normal and she advised me that next time I buy something in a store I should open the box up and read the manual before I buy it to make sure the product works the way I want it to work ... Who does that??.I have never heard of anything so ridiculous in my life! So next time I go into an electrical store Ill just go and open every box of the item im thinking of buying and read the manual first.....hahaha!!! I'll end up opening every box in the store cause I would love to buy a new tv, washing machine, blender, vacuum, nutribullet etc..... What a crock of crap!!! its not a deep fryer sunbeam... its a piece of rubbish that your selling! and your rorting everyone who buys it!!! AND....If you stood by your products sunbeam, you wouldn't advise people to read the manual before buying the sunbeam product!!! I would love to go into Harvey norman and open up every sunbeam product in the store and see how they react when I tell them that Sunbeam told me to read their manuals first before purchasing any of their products to make sure that I like the way it operates before I purchase it. You know i just might do that and see what happens...ABSOLUTE RUBBISH!!!!!!! ILL NEVER BUY SUNBEAM AGAIN AND YOUR CALL CENTRE CUSTOMER SERVICE IS JUST AS BAD AS YOUR "DEEP FRYER" !! YOUR PRODUCT IS MISLEADING!! DONT BRAND IT A MULTICOOKER DEEPFRYER!!!! SUNBEAM, YOU ARE RORTING PEOPLE!!!! CHECK OUT YOUR REVIEWS.........BAAAAADDDD!!!!! I GAVE YOU ONE STAR CAUSE IT WOULDNT LET ME GIVE YOU A BIG FAT ZERO!!!!

I forgot to mention that the customer service girl told me that frozen chips are recommended to be cooked in the oven not a deep fryer.....now shes an expert cook on how to cook frozen chips!!! AND!!! She's telling me how I SHOULD cook my chips!!! actually your WRONG! sweetheart!! Frozen chips turn out better when deep fried....It says on most packs!!!!! Idiot!!!Hi Bradybunchplusone. I do apologise for the issues you encountered with one of our Sunbeam products. Your feedback is much appreciated and will be passed onto the product team. Please give our customer call centre a call on 1300 881 861 and please ask for Jessica. Kind Regards SunbeamWell, I did call you Jessica,, multiple times and you kept getting the phone operator to say your in a meeting. I have left messages.. but guess what? you never call back.... so sad really.. not even the decency to call back after you suggested I call you... as far as im concerned, your customer service suits the product you sell. Its crap and a money stealing product just like your customer service.

Average at best

Don't buy this product of you want crunchy deep fried food ! It takes ages to warm up and as soon as you put the chips etc in the temperature drops and the element can't get it back to a high temperature quick enough so the food just soaks up the oil and you get disgusting oily soggy chips . For some reason you also have to change the oil much more frequently than any other deep fryer I've used . Waste of money ! Sunbeam should not promote this as a deep fryer , it's really just a slow cooker, also beware the handle slips out of the clips ! while I was pulling out chips cooking in hot oil a couple of times I got splashed with hot oil because the basket handle is crap ! Won't buy sunbeam again ! Who could be bothered arguing to get a refund :(

Dear Love to cook, Thank you for your feedback. Please contact our Consumer Support Team on: 1300 881 861, for further assistance. Kind Regards Sunbeam

Don't waste your money!

Absolute rubbish!
The most inaccurate thermostat gets to 120c maximum ,you need min 180 c.Dont waste your time, money or effort.
Just go old school, saucepan filled with oil on the cooktop.
Can't imagine it's even worth getting at looked at as it'll probably cost more than to buy another brand.

Hi Annie, I do apologise for the issues you encountered with one of our Sunbeam products. Your feedback is much appreciated and will be passed onto the product team. SunbeamAnd ? I've now got a product that's not fit for purpose. How do I get a refund didn't keep the receiptHi Annie, Please give our customer care team a call on 1300 881 861 and one of our representatives will be able to help you locate the date of manufacturing on the unit to determine a warranty period. Kind Regards Sunbeam

Absolute garbage

Bought this for one purpose, deep frying. Purchased this as it seemed like a good price (too good to be true) & failed to get to temperature, so I returned it & got an exchange as Big W would not give me a refund. So second time round & exactly the same thing! Waste of time, money & food.

Hi Ryan, I do apologise for the experience you have had with the Sunbeam DF4500. Please give our Customer Care team a call on 1300 881 861 and one of our representatives will be more than happy to assist. Kind Regards Jessica

Great little cooker, awesome value.

I almost didn't buy this appliance based on the feedback. I eventually bought it from big w knowing I could take it back easily. This cooker does the best chips ever! Cooks them with ease on level 8 and browns them onto a crisp on level 10. It makes great stews and curries and I am thankful I chose to purchase it. Can't understand the poor reviews at all.

Dear Kris, Thank you for your feedback, have a lovely day! :) Kind Regards Sunbeam