TomTom Start 42 / 52 / 62

52 (5"), 62 (6"), 42 (4")
See the Best GPS Navigation Systems in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Brand Manager for TomTom? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

• Battery Life
  • Route Choice
  • GPS Location Accuracy
racqNO
racqNOSouth East Queensland, QLD

Fantastic unit

Used TomTom Start52 on a day-to-day bases for work, that took me out and about the city and country towns, always spot on.
As long as you have the right names to start with.

Purchased in December 2017 at Caloundra Ballcock street .

Liam Flanagan
Liam FlanaganPerth, WA

Terrible customer service

There is no Customer Service telephone number... its easier to get through to Fort Knox!!
I have a problem with the suction pad of my GO 520 car gps not sticking to my windscreen and nobody can help.
I tried the Chat Help but it was closed at 3.30pm WA time. I then tried "Contact Us" and it was frustrating trying to explain to AI ..a robot!! which came up with the most ludacris suggestions not even related to my problem.
I just feel as a Customer we are all being taken for granted and "Customer Service" is just a Marketing slogan with no substance. I won't buy Tomtom again.

Purchased in May 2018 at JB Hi-Fi Retail Stores for $295.00.

Linds
LindsWide Bay-Burnett, QLD

Better off without it

I have had the unit for 2.5 years and it has been the biggest waste of money. On a recent trip in Central Queensland I followed the directions explicitly but I eventually ended up 15kms further away from where I was going. I had an old Navman unit that I plugged in and it gave me a totally different route that got me there with no problems. Similarly it had suggested doing U-turns at traffic lights that do not allow U-turns. The touch screen is a joke as you have to press it extremely hard to operate it. It often does not provide verbal instruction. I have gone back to the Navman and tossed the TomTom. I will never buy anything from them again

Purchased in April 2018 at The Good Guys for $100.00.

Hp H.
Hp H.Wheatbelt, WA

Avoid

The map visualization sucks, it will ruin most of your trips.
It costs a lot for what it offers.
Battery lasts for 30 minutes.
Freeze for no reason (no sun heat, cold oranything else)
TomTom Connect Software usually takes 1 hour to update and gets stuck.

Avoid this nav that I bought on highway for emergency.

Purchased in December 2019 for $100.00.

Will never buy another Tom Tom

My Start 62 gave reasonable service for 2 1/2 Years Had a problem after upgrade of map a month ago and did a reset then ok. Just done another map upgrade which went faulty at Tom Tom site saying they were very busy.
Now it only works when connected to My Drive, Tried everything TomTom suggested good. In vehicle it will only half load and go blank I am not alone with this problem when ask about it on Google.

Purchased in May 2016 for $252.00.

speedy2460
speedy2460Mid North Coast, NSW

Waste of time and money

Maps are really good. I installed it on m y Android head unit by wifi. When it works its good.
But the device loses contact and it has to be reloaded. That makes it useless in traffic.

Purchased in December 2019.

Not Happy
Not HappySouth East Queensland, QLD

This is the worst Tomtom I have ever used.

I have had nothing but trouble with me Tomtom Start52. It is hard to use compared to the other more expensive Tomtom's. It is hard to enter addresses and it doesn't give the name of the street you are turning into. If you forget the street # of where your destination is you can not find it on this device. I really regret buying this Tomtom Start 52

Purchased in August 2019 at Domayne for $170.00.

Features / Functions
Battery Life
Route Choice
GPS Location Accuracy
Tonsta
TonstaDubbo

Great product for the price

ldat
ldatPerth, WA

Not the best GPS

I purchased the Tom Tom Start 62 about twelve months ago. The device has now failed. The power supply can not maintain contact. The suction cap fails to stick to anything. The device barely lasted 12 months before it became useless.

Good basic gps

Easy to set up. Easy to view maps. The voice direction could be louder and the maps need an update but all in all a good basic gps for those of us who want a good first buy. The manual is virtually non existent but not needed anyway. Very happy with it.

Mike
MikeGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Usually better than nothing

The 'Start 42' was a replacement for an early model Tom Tom, stolen from my car. Really liked the earlier one. This new one however, not my favorite. It's slower, has a more fiddly menu, and occasionally presents a screen full of electronic 'hash'. It possibly has an overloaded CPU for the job. The best feature is the free maps, delivered by a clunky, fussy 'My Connect'. Battery life is remarkably brief. Needs to stay plugged in.

The device works, but only slightly better than stopping and using a street directory book.

Frank
FrankWellard

Expected so much more!

Brian Lamprell
Brian LamprellSydney

Useless - can't connect

I've just waster some 4 hours trying to connect the Start 52 to Tomtom's My Drive Connect without success. First, it told me a dll file was missing. Installed that, then tried again. Message "unable to start correctly" kept appearing every time I tried to start it. Tomtom support is non-existant. Just looking t the forums, it seems EVERY tomtom customer has problems. I have re-packed the GPS and am returning it for a refund.
Lesson: Don't buy TOMTOM.

Anthony
Anthonynewcastle

Simply crap !!!

Purchased for my son after I was "then" happy with my via 255 and its "lifetime map updates" ,but the newer model has always been trouble the screen image is barely visible and when mounted next to my 255 completely inferior, also just shuts down when driving even when plugged in, have spoken to TOMTOM so many ,I have now just given up.And now TOMTOM have has ended the lifetime maps guarantee for my 255,as lifetime for TOMTOM equals 5 years, can only say a crap company that reneged on its promises.

Kimizoo
KimizooPerth, WA

Performance is OK, however the software update is buggy. Not recommended.