TomTom Rider 400

TomTom Rider 400

See the Best GPS Navigation Systems in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Brand Manager for TomTom? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

• Battery Life
  • Route Choice
  • GPS Location Accuracy
CompuLit
CompuLit

Good as a paperweight

I have had every component of this (except the screen) replaced and it still does not work, it never has! Support aren't easy to communicate with and mine is still sitting in a bag doing nothing. From the day I bought it, the GPS did not and still does not charge. In the end I gave up, as did every mechanic who tried to install it. Nobody in 3 states of Australia could make it charge/work.
Just useless!!!

murriteacher
murriteacherSouth East Queensland, QLD

Rider 400 perfect for sports cars too.

Dan B
Dan B

A resilient but incredibly flawed GPS

Tezza
TezzaCanberra 2600, ACT

Not user friendly

I have spent hours trying to use this. I can't work out how to import maps from Google maps, and it has so far defeated me trying to set up a route on the device. The screen is touchy and just when I think I am getting somewhere it takes itself off somewhere else. It doesn't even recognise some addresses I try to search for. I am fed up with this thing. Needless to say I should have bought something else.
I was hoping to use it for adventure riding, but I can't even use it to get to the start of the dirt!

GPS Navigation Systems

Find out how TomTom Rider 400 compares to other GPS Navigation Systems

Tim
Tim

Poor mapping

Don't buy a rider 400 to use on a adventure bike.The dirt road mapping is either non existent or very inaccurate.I complained to customer service!,they said there had not been enough complaints logged to do anything about it.And you cannot use another brands map on the device.Should have got the Garmin.Tim H

Des
Des

Worth throwing off a bridge

AJSMelbourne

Great GPS & Service

Had mine just over 12 months, I have power supply to the unit but it keeps "going to sleep" even when fully charged. Screen blacks out and then 5 mins later lights up again. I have reset it 4 times and still an issue. 12 month warranty isn't long enough for such an expensive product. $700 is a lot to pay, I was very disappointedh however, TomTom were great, they rectified the problem even though it was just out of warranty.
Great Customer Service.

Purchased in July 2016 for $700.00.

AJS

I would just like to add, TomTom have been great, I contacted them and the replaced the unit, problem still occurred so they replaced the cradle. Now it works perfectly. TomTom were great even though it was 3 months out of warranty/

Stu7Greater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Poor customer service

Purchased in January 2016 at Ryda.com Online store for $600.00.

Hi there,
Just an update, i recieved the call back from Tom Tom and the brand new unit finally arrrived.
Stu

Stu7

Update the replacement device has also shown signs of condensation and flickering screen, Stay away from this device is my recommendation. Cheers - Stu

Stu7

Update the replacement unit has also shown signs of moisture behind the screen and flickers, suspect it will stop working soon. would not recommend this device. Cheers - Stu

Paul
PaulNambour

No good for adventure riders

Have had the Rider 400 unit for nearly 12 months, and it continually loses satellite coverage in state forests and national parks.
In open areas it works well and maintains satellite coverage, but once you go under a few trees that's it. In other words it can't be relied upon to get you home from the bush, and you can't rely on it to maintain coverage in the forests. A mate with a Garmin was with me last ride, and he had perfect satellite coverage the whole trip, whilst my Rider was continuously losing coverage and useless. I've just ordered a Garmin.

GPS Navigation Systems