TomTom Via 280

TomTom Via 280

See the Best GPS Navigation Systems in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Brand Manager for TomTom? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

• Battery Life
  • Route Choice
  • GPS Location Accuracy
Wally V
Wally VMurray Mallee, SA

Have had this unit now for at least 6 years and have been very happy with it. Would only buy a tomtom GPS.

Unable to charge the battery, have removed the battery to replace but now find that I cannot buy a replacement.
Unit did still work plugged into the vehicle but unable to do a search other than in the vehicle which is rather inconvenient.

Purchased at Harvey Norman Retail Stores - Appliances.

ggg
ggg

Rubbish! Rubbish! Rubbish!

Gone through two units which both don't get a satellite signal anymore in the space of two years! Always been told to update it but it still doesn't fix the issue. DO NOT RECOMMEND TOMTOM AT ALL!
There is NOT one thing I could give 5/5 for. Dodgy touch screen, the signal strength is RUBBISH. The only okay thing about it is the maps and graphics.

Purchased in April 2016 at The Good Guys for $183.00.

Ray
Ray

map problems

If you connect your device to your computer you will get map updated when available first you have to download on your computer My Drive Connect to receive updates then connect the GPS to your computer via USB Hub which all computers have or another thing is ring TomTom for advice I have done all above an have no problems with tomtom have had tomtoms for past 6-7yrs Advice Ray

Purchased in March 2019.

Don S
Don SHobart, TAS

Great unit

Brought this for the free Australian map updates mainly. Very easy to read. I put all my destinations into favourites before i leave on a trip. New route favourites tap where you want to go. Updates easily through my drive connect. Took it to north america, purchased and installed Canada map before we left all worked flawlessly drove about 5000 km in Canada. USA map to big for internal memory and no external memory card. Reading reviews dont know if newer models are as good.

Purchased in July 2011 at The Good Guys Physical store for $300.00.

Never again

Have 3 Tom Tom gps that were OK for around 4-5 yrs, slow to respond to updates and dodgy touch screen. They seem to get lost easily but they do find the way after an extra few hundred kilometers.. When the battery shuts itself there is no warning, it won't work at all ever again as batteries are not available for purchase anywhere in the world for Tomtom gps. Have tried several different suppliers online who happily sold me wrong product. Money wasted would buy paper maps and street directories that will never stop working.

PLENTY OF OPTIONS TO CHANGE SETTINGS

marconi80
marconi80Perth

Bluetooth speaker low, screen digitizer replaced

Had to replace the screen digitizer after it started to act weird and not clicking on the place i touch, also the bluetooth speaker sound sucks and can not hear the other party clearly.

Lucky i'm into electronics and replaced digitizer for cheap, donno how it would have cost if i went to someone.

Syed
SyedPerth

Never again!

Had to replace two units in a year! Now the third replacement died within 6 months!

Signal used to get lost suddenly just outside metro area. Battery charge goes out very very quickly. Sometime it just 'hangs' for sometime !!!
Would not recommend to buy TOMTOM car GPS. Waste of money!

March P
March PVictoria, Australia

Via 280 crap

It was great until the last update. It cleared all the memory and couldn't be reset. Going into the bin. I tried the support people but it seems if you are out of warranty the free updates are useless. I will never buy another TomTom. After having 4 units over the years.

Sante
SanteVictoria

Via 280 Tom tom

I have owned this Tom tom Via 280 for about five years and it has been great. The service is very good form Tom Tom and the updates work very well. I have lifetime maps and they keep all up to date. I have even added some poi which are very useful. Couldn't go on holidays without it.

grant
grantAdelaide

no maps

after 2 hours of reading common questions and trying every thing i still have no maps. right click on settings icon - there is no settings icon. i gave up and threw it in the bin. wast of money and time. it seems tom tom have had map loading problems for years and have done nothing to fix the issue - now thats customer service i don't need.

Anthony
Anthonynewcastle

TOMTOM have has ended the lifetime maps for Via, I can only say a crap company that reneged on its

TOMTOM has ended the lifetime maps for my Via, I can only say a crap company that reneged on its promises. How does a company get away with just cancelling its free lifetimes map guarantee on one of its products, it was the main reason I purchased, NEVER again TOMTOM.

danielagm
danielagm

Worked for first 18 months then lost GPS signal

I bought my VIA 280 in July 2016. I was happy with how it worked and did regular updates. However in the last 2 months its ability to find the GPS signal became slower and slower until it became unusable. Yesterday we drove from Sydney to Melbourne and it didn't pick up the GPS signal until we were in Albury, i.e. 6 hours after setting off!!! I have now replaced it with another brand as this is unusable. Not impressed at all.

Pensioner
PensionerMelbourne

Via 280 ...crap

2years ago Bought one 3rd time for update unable to connect. Took it to where I bought it they were unable to help me with the problem. I used it occasionally. 3 weeks ago it went completely dead. I am a pensioner and can't afford to throw my money away. Will never buy tpmtom again.
Dissappointed pensioner.

richie
richieSydney, NSW

always looking for gps signal

it is pretty bad, after 14 months it has stopped working always looking for signal and never find it. called the customer service and they told me to put it back to factory settings which I did. it did not do anything. I had to throw it to rubbish! I will never buy tom tom again. this was the second time it led me down