Bloody excellent bicycle

couldn't have imagined the day when there would be anything better than a 2.5 camry with a rattling engine starved of oil but here we are. first of all I would like to thank everybody i have met in my life because they are the people who have brought me to where i am today, Working minimal wage at the local maccas. Now with that out of the way lets use my extensive knowledge of snowmobiles to talk about this incredible nissan beast. I love the new 1 wheel drive feature because its given this machine similar offroad capability to that of steven hawkings (rip my man). Other features include the plastic like exterior which gives a similar asthetic pleasure to looking at Kim Kardashian. The engine is brilliant and has the reliability of an Australian Prime Minister which is great because it prevents you from travelling more than 50km at a time (hazardous to your health). With the addition of a snorkel to mine it even managed to swim better than harold holt

BadgeRugged X
Engine Size2.0L Petrol
Date PurchasedApr 2001

Lies lies lies

Fourth brand new hilux in a row. While farming I swore by them but since changing to 4x2’s in city life I’m ready to try competitors. The problem boiling my urine currently is the fuel gauge dilemma going on two years now. There has been one dealer fix and just had the toyota factory “fix”. My fuel tank is now meant to have 12 litres of fuel remaining when the fuel light comes on but I still have 20 litres before the needle rapidly goes to empty. Toyota’s lied to me again and I expect far more from this car GIANT!
I bought a motor vehicle with an 80 litre fuel tank. I got a motor vehicle with an 80litre fuel tank but with a fuel gauge that only works for 60 or so litres of it. Very dangerous to have an unreliable fuel gauge on long runs. And toyota has the audacity to say the original design was safety related so that people wouldn’t run out of fuel. No toyota you will be sued when someone dies in remote 40 degree heat running blind on the last 1/4 or so of the tank! We have the right to use our entire tank copacity and you have the obligation to see that we can, safely!

If I took my vehicle to any local garage and said work out a way to give me a functional fuel gauge, they would work out a way to give me a functional fuel gauge. But Toyota are mentally incapable of doing so.

I’ve just been told that toyota technical department have said they might be able fix it but the gauge may then be unreliable at the top end of the tank. Urm...creating a new problem is not fixing it guys.

I’m within one year left of warranty so have no option but to Either take legal action or park my vehicle outside the dealer with a kind message on it...I think I’ll do that one. I have a bit of time on my hands.

Purchased .

BoughtNew

Warranty is questionable

I purchased vehicle in early 2015 last of the 3L diesels. Thought I had made the right decision... vehicle is always serviced and well looked after. At about 15000km it developed a really bad knock in the engine when cold. Told dealer I bought it from “oh this is normal”. Took is for inspection at around 27000km told “ everything is within spec and noise/rattle is from aftermarket exhaust (engine stock apart from this). Put up with this until around 45000km and took to another dealer which had vehicle for 1 week told the same all normal. Ended up getting new injectors noise fixed.... sent injectors to diesel Speacialist and 2 were found to be faulty and out of spec. All these costs were out of my own pocket. Spoke to both dealers were not interested and said because I’ve have got it fixed elsewhere they will not help. Would not recommend these vehicle and really have no idea what to buy next warranty is not worth the paper it’s written in and the dealers either have no idea how to fix or are not interested.

BadgeSR
Engine Size3.0L Diesel
Date PurchasedApr 2015

Unfixable Brake squeal - buyer beware

Toyota “genuine service” have failed to stop the break squeal after 4 attempts.

For the last 32,000kms my fully optioned diesel auto sr5 with “leatherette” interior has sounded like a squealing 50 year old “sh$tbox”.

RRP on this car with my Toyota genuine upgrades was $80k (I didn’t pay $80k)

Terrible experience.

Feel like I bought an 80’s hilux rust bucket that’s been running beach tours for 30 years

Caveat emptor!

Date PurchasedJun 2016

Wow, very bumpy!

With no load in the back, the drive is just terrible. My brain is being smashed against my skull in a most aggressive manner, over roads that I know are smooth. You can feel every tiny crack, bump or crevice in the road. I have asked if there is any suspension adjustments that can be done, but it seems not (any suggestions, apart from filling the tray with concrete?) Under load, it's great and it was a bargain (only $22,000 new 2018).

Date PurchasedSep 2018

Like Father like Son

My Father had a second gen Hilux back in the day, then he bought me a 1990 extra cab SR5 4x4 which I still drive, then in 2003 I bought a SR5 dual cab 4x4 in silver. I’m telling you Hilux’s are with out a doubt the best all round vehicle on the market. My extra cab has 4460000km
And my 2003 has 342000km and neither has ever had a mechanical failure or let me down, also using them for work and play driving them in the city and county and getting respect from all the other tradies on site (you know Andy the guy that drives the Hilux”)
I drove the extra cab all through my P plate stage and as you probably know P platers are not the most cautious of motorists but ist still going strong, one of the thing that my Father Instilled in me was servicing your vehicle! Every 5000km change the oil and filter even if you need to go without food! Ha ha
If your looking for a good second hand Hilux look at the owner you will know if he or she really loves their Hilux and treated it like their child and not just a vehicle. I’ve still got that feeling every time I turn the key!!!

Engine Size3.0L Diesel
Date PurchasedAug 2003
Drive4WD

Love the hilux, but it’s not perfect.

Love the hilux but it’s not perfect, 2016 2.8 sr5 duelcab

Pros.
-Interior is one of the best looking interior in the segment it feels up to date and it looks great comfortable enough to be in.
-Exterior, also my favourite looking ute, to me looks aggressive and beefy.
-4x4 is great and easy takleing tough courses, friendly interface to get into four wheels.
-Drivability is good on the highway and city, doesn’t have electric steering but it’s light enough and sharp enough at higher speeds.
-Towing is easy (don’t have a caravan or a boat) but have tested pulling a trailer with a commodore on top and didn’t struggle.
-Reverse camera easy to reverse park.

Cons.
-Fuel consumption is insane! (Get 550-600km range) before fuel light comes on (before dpf recall)
-DPF! Huge issue, returned to Toyota dealership 3 times for DPF recall, last recall added a DPF burn and DPF regeneration system which chews up fuel while regenerating... (500-580km range now)
-Extra power would be nice. It’s enough to do the job but tends to be sluggish at some points, (hills, highway)
-Seats aren’t the best for long drives, it is comfortable first 30 minutes but numb bum after that. Touch screen sucks so replaced it with after market system.
-extra safety features would be nice especially for the price point it’s at but doesn’t bother me to much.

Overall I’m happy with the car, I love to drive it as my daily, will be considering tuning it for better fuel eco and power.

Date PurchasedApr 2018

A/C Clutch fuse/Relay 2006 Workmate

The clutch has stopped engaging and I cannot locate the magnetic clutch relay or fuse. Please help and Thank you. I have checked all other fuses and they are fine. A/C light coming on in cab but clutch not engaging. I have probably looked at the right place 50 times now but still haven't got it.

Date PurchasedJun 2018

Purchase of New Car Mosman Toyota

I use the Car for work and off road.
I use the car every day and I travel a lot to regional areas for work and some places don't have the roads sealed.
The car gets services at the due warranty mileage or date.
I love the car, it drives and handles all conditions.

Date PurchasedMay 2018

Dust by passes Air Filter

Not so unbreakable any more. Dust particles by pass the air filter and put the vehicle in limp mode. No fix yet from Toyota

Read this article to see why.

You would think this would be a recall or and upgrade of the Air Filter unit but not yet.

Shame Toyota Shame.

BadgeRugged X
Date PurchasedMar 2018

Wheres the Warranty ?

If these bloody Hilux's are so unbreakable why do they not have a good warranty like the Holdens & Fords ie 5 years unlimited Klms. From what i have seen of them it would send Toyota broke. As these things are continually broken down. Even brand new ones go into limp mode as soon as you do a bit of dusty driving ? You see heaps of second hand ones with less than 200,000 klms on them advertised with new or rebuilt engines. Clutches always stuffed before 100,000 Klms ? Unbreakable, what a joke.

Date PurchasedOct 2017

Best car ever

Such an Amazing car, built tough
I’ve generally drive around 3 hours and day
Only get the car serviced once a year and I’ve never had any problems
Best and most reliable car I have ever owned
Would recommend getting the diesel as it does chew through petrol pretty fast

Engine Size4.0L V6 Petrol
Date PurchasedJan 2015

Great Ute

My hilux is a 2017 6 speed manual , that hasn’t missed a beat other than a hand break adjustment. Fuel economy with 30,000 km was around 10 ltr per 100, after driving from Melbourne to Darwin and all over Kakadu and back doing over 12,000 kms fuel economy improved to 8.5ltr per hundred. This is with accessories of side steps Tjm alloy bull bar with winch dual batteries,side rails rock sliders ,Tjm rear bar ,carryboy Ute slide safari snorkel , harrop front locker.,long rang tank, dobbisons mrr suspension. Get your dpf sorted with a basic ecu flash which was done to my car after its 1000k service , it should activate every 300km or so . This motor takes around 50,000km to fully run in and loosen up.for what it worth my mates 2009 manual hilux used around 50 dollars more to fill up every time and yes we have the same size tanks.

Date PurchasedNov 2018

Good Vehicle

Cant really fault this hilux and its the best hilux I have owned (have owned 4 Hilux's previously).This is a 2017 SR5 manual with a Canopy and has done 35000km. Has more power and better fuel economy than any previous hilux. Is good on fuel, averaged 8.7L/100km since new which is good as I often tow a trailer and have towed up to 3.2T. The only issue that annoys me is the DPF burn off when it idles at higher revs.

Date PurchasedApr 2017

MMM..

I bought a cab chassis with alloy tray in late 2015 2.4 went very well however the dpf cost me three trips back to dealer before they replaced, had seat cushion replaced Im 105k?? I found seating cramped and fancy new dash with all its angles makes it feel worse. Fuel economy good 2.4 D not 2.8 D which appears to be vey thirsty. The standard tyres were awful wore out quickly and very scary in the wet even with but ride and power good and it felt like a Toyota, which I have bought every model since 1989 2wd or 4wd. I do wonder whether they are as well built or is it just a great marketing program we continue to fall for. The best certainly were the JAP produced models prior to 2004. I had a great run with those models some how I feel these are not the same. ( I sold this ute recently and bought a Triton 17K cheaper couldn't afford $48K for similar vehicle.)

Date PurchasedOct 2015

Rust problems

I bought this truck new it is the Extra cab in decuma grey, All good except for a rust problem were the front window screen meets the roof. This started at what looked like a stone chip, and local Toyota said the same . Not long after two more so called stone chips appeared on the same line but 50-70mm apart from the first one but on the same line as the first immediately above the screen . Again local Toyota and Toyota UK say they are all 3 stone chips . And they will not repair under warranty

I think the odds are remote to have 3 stones on 3 separate occasions to hit the same line not the screen . The truck was new in march 2017 and is coming up to 28000 miles. I dare not power wash the screen roof area in case any more paint rust comes off.
This is my 11th and could be me last Toyota . Shame

Badge(No Badge)
CabExtra Cab
Date PurchasedMar 2017

Ute

The new model and series is a leap from the last line of hiluxs and With more comfort and technology out into the car it really makes the Ute more better then the last, takes the hits and keeps on moving and that’s what you need in a Ute especially for a tradie

Date PurchasedJun 2016
DriveFWD

Indestructible

Our '95 Hilux is without a doubt the greatest workhorse we have. 360,000km and showing no signs of slowing down whatsoever. 2.4l petrol engine, this thing is absolutely unreal. Once she inevitably does go, will be investing in a newer model Hilux because I've had nothing but joy with this one!

Date PurchasedAug 2009

Fuel Economy Issue

At first I believed the new Hilux was the best released, fully equipped with everything you would need, but after 1000km's I began to see some issues. A few small items (loose door seal, windscreen wiper motor fail) then after 10,000km's I began to notice a much larger problem. Fuel economy stats on all web pages say that you should get between 8L/100km and 9.5L/100km, however my fuel economy is at 14.5L per 100km. This is not localised to my vehicle, it's a known issue with Toyota but they don't make it public. I had my car serviced for the 10k and I asked the question "is there an issue with the fuel economy on the SR5's?" Yes, it's a real problem, we have complaints all the time. Their response is that they need to connect the car to a machine for the whole day to correct the issue. However it's not permanent. I decided to test it out as many people said that I do a lot of city driving which will be the cause, so I drove from Brisbane to Sunshine Coast and back, 220km and used over half of a tank. I got 450km from this tank. I drove from Brisbane to Tweed Heads and back a week later, I used 3 quarters of a tank, I received 440km from this tank. At one point on the highway I could see the fuel gauge moving down. I have never seen anything like this before. I have had every Hilux since 2004 and raved about them, this one I can't say I'm impressed. The lack of knowledge from Toyota themselves on the problem and considering you pay $60K for a vehicle you would think they would look at a permanent fix for this problem. I'll be doing my research next time, but I would say this is the last one for me.

Date PurchasedFeb 2018

Southside Toyota Brisbane is hopeless

I had my vehicle serviced on 23 Aug there. Before that day, there was smoking from the exthoust. Only 10 days later after the service, the smoke comes back again. Even the guy who called me from Toyota Australia surprised when he learned it smoked only 10 days after the service.
Don’t go to Southside Toyota, don’t buy Toyota.

Date PurchasedDec 2016
Drive4WD
Spent over an hour read through, I just wondering is there a lawyer in this forum. So many problems for the new Hilux, something need to be done.