VDJ, HDJ/HZJ
See the Best Cars in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Listing monitored by Toyota

• Boot Size
  • Comfort
  • Features

ShooterPerth, WA

Very solid off road workhorse

Car is regularly used for outback desert, trips to farm and city driving.
Serviced every 10,000k no problems so far at 140,000k.
13.5L/100K average.
Carries 300L diesel and 150L water for outback trips.
Running 285/75 BFG AT.
Upgraded suspension both ends including air bags. 2” lift.
Other extras: under bonnet air compressor, steel roo bar, steel tray 2x2M, underbody radiator guard, slide out under tray tool draw.
Very hard car to stop.
Handled all recreational challenges I have thrown at it.
Drives well on the HW but cruise control would be handy.
It’s the industry standard for mining exploration.

Purchased in March 2013 at Toyota Dealers.

OzyblokeGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Dont buy a 79 series land cruiser unless you read this first!

Purchased in April 2014.

Pretty good- perhaps overrated

It's my first cruiser, although my job involves maintaining them, I've seen them devolve from the 75 series. Lighter and lighter in manufacture, but the reputation and hype ensures a high price for what you get.
I enjoy working on them, mostly because for maintenance they are well thought out, Accessible and logical.
I'd have to say that the suspension is archaic, the engine is poorly laid out- lots of afterthoughts.
Drives nice enough- but very basic and not as well 'tuned' as say a discovery 1.

Purchased in November 2019 for $19,000.00.

HughesieThe Mallee, VIC

Get it done in a Cruiser- enough said!

Purchased in July 2019.

Peter
PeterPeel, WA

Had a 200 series 6 speed auto fitted

Since haven the auto fitted this vehicle it has turn into a dream to drive on road around town-highway uses and really going bush. Has dropped the fuel consumption considerably with the rpm down by 900 and not knowing why autos are not an option. We use the vehicle for touring-camping (not towing) around the out back coving 30kms a year and serviced by Toyota every 10kms. At this point there has not been any small and major problems it as I like to carry out preventive maintenance.

Purchased in May 2013 for $81,000.00.

Dave
DavePerth, WA

Toughest 4x4 on earth, goes anywhere, insanely reliable

I bought this with 200,000km on it, I have had it for 9 years and it now has 412,000km on the original engine! This is by far the best 4x4 I have ever owned and the price of these vehicles is totally worth it, no other 4x4 comes close to the durability of the VDJ79. My mechanic showed me a comparison of suspension components from Hilux compared to my 70 series, the difference in strength is chalk and cheese. I have done basic services most of the time, this ute just goes and goes. The best thing about the VDJ 70 series is that they hold their value like no other vehicle... you can do 100,000-200,000 km and it might devalue $10k or less. Unreal.

Purchased in June 2011.

Year2011
Mkelly
MkellySouth East Queensland, QLD

Not happy with what Toyota have left out

I’ve akways owned a cruiser Ute and do just bought my new one , the cost is extortion but can’t being myself to drive anything else. Upon arrival I found they’re no longer three seater, oh well I’ll just get rid of one of my kids . Dual tanks ? Not anymore thanks fir telling me . Tyres that come as standard I wouldn’t drive through a puddle you’d get bogged , they only last 35k anyway , the rear wheel with is still 40mm smaller than the front making a three point turn a five pointer , comin Toyota it been 12 years this shape get ur crap together, next time I’ll wear a dress to the dealership cause I like to look pretty when I get screwed

Purchased in March 2019 at Toyota Dealers.

Smart shopping tips to help you make the most of Black Friday sales

Clara V.

2012 VDJ76 6yrs of ownership and still going strong

Date PurchasedNov 2012
Nika
NikaCairns

Having driven a huge bunch of cars I've chosen the best one

I used to have only good cars in my disposal. It was Mercedes-Benz and Toyota.
I cannot say that G class Mercedes-Benz worse than Toyota VDJ76, but.... when it comes to money , I wanna say: 'yes, Toyota is a winner'. Landcruiser VDJ 76 is the same reliable, well-done and awesome 4x4 car but in 3 times cheapper. Regarding other brands... I prefer not to say, don't want to offend other car owners. I know that for someone LC is not not cheap as well, but when we talk about a good car we must be honest and clear.

Date PurchasedFeb 2016

Whitecloud
WhitecloudHunter Region, NSW

Reliable workhorse

My model is ute with a service body, i use it for my electrical business and my tow horse. The vehicle as standard doesnt have as much power for towing as my v6 jeep, however all other aspects of towing are better. The 4 wheel disc brakes rear leaf springs and being manual suit my towing requirements.
I had to upgrade the suspension as over time the rear springs sagged.
I would purchase a similar model if something happened to this one.

Date PurchasedJune 2016

There a good ute, but just remember they are a truck

BodyDouble Cab Chassis
Date PurchasedApr 2017
Croppy
CroppyDunsborough

Bad Clutch

Out of 10
Comfort-4 Turning Circle-3 Fuel Economy-2 Clutch-1 Reliability-8
Needs 6 speed gearbox
Was told by Toyota after market exhaust causes clutch to slip but just a way out of warranty I think.
Have owned 4 cab chassis’s since 1988 and apart from the reliability they have not changed much in that time.

Date PurchasedMar 2018

Find out how Toyota LandCruiser 70 compares to other Cars

Will never buy a toyota again

Had to have the rear brakes replaced and the rotors ground under 50,000K at my cost, the clutch is slipping under 60,000K and needs to be replaced with a heavy duty clutch and pressure plate at my cost, the brakes fail to stop the vehicle on rough gravel roads and are in my opinion dangerous, warranty void owing to after market exhaust and wheels installed. Will put another 100,000K on and trade it in on anything but a Toyota.

BadgeWorkMate
Date PurchasedApr 2014
Andrea
Andrea

Great Ute

After looking at various vehicles decided on a dual cab cruiser . Very happy with our choice , Turnball Toyota in yarram were fantastic , Linda couldn’t have been more helpful , we went with the yarram dealership based on there after sale service , which we have found over the years to be outstanding .

BodyDouble Cab Chassis
Date PurchasedOct 2017
Jen
JenSydney

Large car

This has a large engine so it has enough strength to carry a very large caravan. GPS is good but could be better with more specific details e.g. shop names, location names. There is plenty of legroom. Car is very reliable but running costs of petrol can be very high.

BadgeVX
TransmissionAutomatic
Date PurchasedApr 2017

Craig Jasked
VDJ GXL Single-Cab (2007-2021)

Hi, the gear changes in my 2018 79 series can be a bit clunky sometimes, like the syncro is not working properly but is perfect other times - depends on revs when changing gears.

Is this normal?

Shooter

Yes I think it’s normal. I have a 2013 dual cab same gearbox and have experienced the situation u describe. It’s a light truck gearbox not a sport car gearbox. The only times I hear a crunch r if I change too quickly or use too many revs.

thanks

Ibby H.
Ibby H.asked
VDJ WorkMate Single-Cab (2007-2021)

Hi guys I have a 2008 79 series single cab turbo v8. My car sometimes won't start it will crank not fire up or fire up then stall within seconds. If i disconnect the battery and re connect most the time does the trick but could sometimes take hours before it fires up and runs. Sometimes when I turn the car off and key is still in the ignition in the off position the 2 efi relays start clicking and sometimes the 2 glow plug relays aswell.. but will stop when I turn the key to on.. even the key out I've also noticed when I put my foot on the brake with the ignition in off the relays start ticking away aswell.. its really annoying I've swapped relays checked battery terminals checked fuses checked ignition switch checked immobiliser sprayed contact cleaner on everything and problem is still there please any help will be much appreciated

Ozybloke

Hi ibby. I wish I could help but have no experience with this type of problem. My mates 09 79 series has been to 4 mechanics including 2 very reputable diesel mechanics, for a problem along similar ish" lines as yours but they cant diagnose. It can be so frustrating I understand! Especially when you/we have another mate whom has a old td42 gq that hasn't missed a beat' not one problem in 15 years that he brought for $1500 in bermagui, and we said he was mad to drove 6 hours to get it. He proved us wrong. grrr, goodluck with it mate.

Dave B
Dave Basked
LandCruiser 70

Would a neg 22 on back Rims(being that anything over neg 25 is I heard illegal) help some what on the 70 series track difference rather then nothing at all

It voids the warranty
Toyota repack bearings every 20,000 km under the service program. Start mucking around with the track correction and have your wallet ready.
I dont have a problem with different tracks but i dont live on the coast with beach driving.

See all Toyota LandCruiser 70 questions

Get an answer from our members and Toyota representatives

Compare all 10 Toyota LandCruiser 70
CategoryCars and UtesCars and Large / 7 Seater SUVsCars and Large / 7 Seater SUVsCars and Utes
Starting Price $76,641$73,645$76,735$78,701
TransmissionManualManualManualManual
Drive TypeFour Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)
Fuel TypeDieselDieselDieselDiesel
Wheels16" Alloy16" Alloy16" Steel16" Alloy
ANCAP Safety Rating5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars
Fuel Consumption10.7 L/100km10.7 L/100km10.7 L/100km10.7 L/100km
Fuel Tank Capacity 130 L130 L180 L130 L
Engine8 Cylinder 4.5L Turbo Diesel8 Cylinder 4.5L Turbo Diesel8 Cylinder 4.5L Turbo Diesel8 Cylinder 4.5L Turbo Diesel
Engine Code1VD-FTV1VD-FTV1VD-FTV1VD-FTV
Max Power151kW @ 3400rpm151kW @ 3400rpm151kW @ 3400rpm151kW @ 3400rpm
Max Torque430Nm @ 1200-3200rpm430Nm @ 1200-3200rpm430Nm @ 1200-3200rpm430Nm @ 1200-3200rpm
Country of ManufactureJapanJapanJapanJapan
Maximum Towing Capacity (braked)3,500 kg3,500 kg3,500 kg3,500 kg
Maximum Towing Capacity (unbraked)750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg
Ground Clearance235 mm235 mm235 mm235 mm
Manufacturer Warranty3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)
Dimensions