75 questions from our users
If the rental company policy I choose does not cover single vehicle accident/ roll over do you cover the cost of all repairs or only the excess coverage I choose through you?
Does Tripcover cover excess insurance for campervan rental companies such as Camplify, Camptoo etc. ie peer-to-peer platforms. Thanks
I am sorry Karen but we don't cover peer to peer rentals yet.
Excellent service from a company with a great excess reduction insurance product.
This is not the review section David just the question section.
can I get a quote for an excess of $5000?
No sorry we only have $4000, $6000, & $8000 policies
Im planning a trip to Austrailia for a wedding. I want campervan excess cover of between $5000-$7000 AUD.
My trip is from 11 Sep 20 to 6 Oct 20 (25 days) and although I will be parked at various camp-sites between Cairns and Brisbane during this period, I will be driving between camp-sites. I'm an Institute of Advanced Motorist (HGV Trained) and never had a "at fault" accident in my 33 years of driving but you cannot rule out a Kangaroo jumping out in front of you in Austrailia. Can I get cover for the whole excess?
You’ll have to get in contact with tripcover direct, maybe via email and they will answer all your questions.
Hi Gareth yes we can cover you we policies for up to $4000, $6000 or $8000
Thank you both. I have looked into this and the saving I will be making over the hire companies nil excess policy will be over $1200. The extra holiday cash in my pocket will be spent on local ativities whilst touring in Austrailia and I will be giving $200 to the Fire Damage Fund as a token of my appreciation to you both. Can't wait for the start.
My car rental access is 6000. I already took up a travel insurance which cover my car rental access up to 2500. Can I just take up the 4000 access package to have full coverage?
Sure Edmund, and when claiming you just inform Allianz and they work out how to reimburse you.
They just don't want you doubling dipping.
So, assuming if I have to claim the full AUD 6000. I will claim 2500 from my travel insurance and Tripcover will paid the remaining 3500 to me?
Yes something like that all insurance providers talk, I believe and come up with a solution, you can read more in our PDS https://tripcover.com.au/Allianz_Tripcover_Policy.pdf
Does this cover excess from cars hired from services like CarNextDoor?
no sorry not at this point, we don't do peer to peer rentals or car share, yet
canadians wishing to rent car in Brisbane Australia for couple of weeks. CC "Visa" discourages accepting collision damage waiver at rental desk-as they will cover vehicle in full . what about 3rd party liability in Au.? Car rental company assumes CTP (comp. 3rd party) while we drive? Our daughter lives in Au. and will be driver for most part-if not all driving -should we consider adding a level of outside insurance coverage?. thxs
"Car rental company assumes CTP (comp. 3rd party) while we drive?" usually they do best to ask them.
and we cover the excess or deductible for that. I cannot give personal advice as to taking out extra cover Lias.
Hi, we are thinking of taking out this insurance when hiring a motorhome in New Zealand. If we did need to make a claim, and the excess at the motorhome company is $7500, would we have to pay the full $7500 amount out of our own money, then claim back whatever we have covered ourselves for ($4000 or $6000) from Tripcover? Cheers Chris
Can I take out insurance once I have picked up the hire car?? Thanks
If you can send me an email verifying that no damage has occurred up to this point and we can use that
as legal tender for the policy. email des @ tripcover.com.au
I am considering taking a policy for motorhome insurance with yourselves. The excess on the motorhome is 5000AUD.
Obviously, if I take the 6000AUD cover plan this will be fully compensated, however, if I take the 4000AUD cover plan (which is significantly cheaper) I would like to clarify what would happen if I damaged the vehicle exceeding 4000AUD worth of damage.
For example, if I caused 4500AUD worth of damage would I simply pay the 500AUD difference or would I have to pay the full 4500?
Thank you in anticipation of your reply.
You would just be liable for the $500 Chris
We will be hiring a 4WD from Hertz for a week in early July. Hertz says that if the vehicle is lost, stolen or damaged, we are responsible for:
"the loss or damage to the vehicle;
the Hertz Claims Management Fee and External Damage Assessment Fee;
any towing and storage charges;
loss of rental income; and
other losses or expenses related to the incident".
The accident excess amount on a 4WD hire is $6,000.
Does Tripcover cover each of these types of claim up to the policy amount ($6,000)? We are particularly concerned about any loss of rental claim by Hertz while a vehicle is being repaired if an accident happens or the vehicle is damaged.
So if the car was stolen they would charge you $6000 and yes our policy covers this and other accidents.
Their loss of use fee is not covered however.
Thank you for your response. Your advice as to the full payout of $6,000 if the car was stolen is what I would have expected.
My question was more directed to each element of what might be claimed by Hertz if the vehicle is damaged. Hertz would charge $50 per day to remove the risk of all of the elements I listed, which makes Tripcover’s premium of $21.56 per day look attractive (and is the reason for my enquiry), but only if Tripcover covers the same risks.
Could you please let me know what the payout by Tripcover/Allianz would be in respect of each of the following components listed by Hertz if I took out a $6,000 excess policy with you, the vehicle was damaged and Hertz made the following claims against me:
Repair of damage to the vehicle $2,000;
Hertz Claims Management Fee and External Damage Assessment Fee $200;
Towing and storage charges $1,000 (Northern Territory);
Loss of rental income $2,400; and
Other losses or expenses related to the incident $400.
Repair of damage to the vehicle $2,000; Yes
Hertz Claims Management Fee and External Damage Assessment Fee $200; Not sure, unless it is part of the excess
Towing and storage charges $1,000 (Northern Territory); Not sure, unless it is part of the excess
Loss of rental income $2,400; and No
Other losses or expenses related to the incident $400. No
Does Tripcover cover the deposit for the rental car? The car rental company already have my card details but can pay the deposit on the day, Will i still have to pay this deposit once covered by tripcover?
Hello - we are considering to rent a motorhome from Wilderness Ltd In New Zealand. Their deductible is NZD 7500 for each event (Per clause 26. of their insurance T&Cs Pate’s below).
Does the TripCover / Allianz excess insurance provide coverage for multiple events during one rental?
Please provide a link to the TripCover / Allianz T&Cs for a Motorhome rental in New Zealand (renter resident in Switzerland.).
Wilderness Motorhome Ltd. insurance T&Cs:
23. Any driver described in this agreement as a person permitted to drive the Vehicle is, subject to the exclusions set out below, is indemnified to the extent of NZ$1,000,000 in respect of any liability he or she might have for damage to any property (including injury to any animal) belonging to any person and arising out of the use of the Vehicle.
24. The Hirer’s liability will be for any loss or damage to the Vehicle, however caused, and for any consequential loss or damage, during the term of this hire, or during any authorized extensions to the term up to the applicable excess amount (Note >>> Basic is NZD 7500)
25. The Hirer is liable for payment of the applicable insurance excess in the case of damage to, or accidents involv- ing the Vehicle when the Hirer has not taken liability reduction insurance. On payment of the liability reduction insurance by the Hirer, the excess payable by the Hirer is reduced or eliminated depending on the liability reduc- tion option selected and subject to exclusions in clause 28. The Operator may make the applicable deduction from the Hirer’s credit card following notification of any loss or damage to the Vehicle.
26. In the event of any damage to a Vehicle or third party property, another bond shall be collected to cover the excess for any subsequent damage.
27. Where the total cost of a claim is less than the excess then the Hirer shall be liable to pay that lesser amount. 28. The Hirer acknowledges that the cover referred to in clause 22 will not apply when: (a) the Vehicle is driven by anyone not named or described in this agreement as a person permitted to drive the Vehicle; (b) the driver of the Vehicle is under the influence of alcohol or any drug; (c) the Vehicle is in an unsafe or unroadworthy condition, such condition arising during the course of the hire, that caused or contributed to the damage or loss, and the Hirer or driver was aware or should have been aware of the unsafe or unroadworthy condition of the Vehicle; (d) the Vehicle is wilfully or recklessly damaged or lost by the Hirer, a nominated driver, or a person under the Hirer’s authority or control including sitting or standing on the roof, driving on any beach or surface likely to damage the Vehicle or cause it to become bogged or trapped, driving through flooded areas, submersing in water, contacting salt water; (e) the fuel or freshwater tanks are contaminated (f) the Vehicle was operated outside the terms of
this agreement or any agreed extension of this agreement.
Not really Ted, the way it works is if you did have multiple events you would still only be covered up to the value of the policy.
Does this cover third party damage? I plan to go to New Zealand and hire a car there. While I can see there are rental car damage excess cover options, it may be a bit unclear if there are third party charges covered if I were to take out a worldwide policy? Many thanks Thomas
ProductReview.com.au has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence our content moderation policies in any way, though ProductReview.com.au may earn commissions for products/services purchased via affiliate links.