Tripcover

Tripcover Questions & Answers

59 questions from our users

We will be hiring a 4WD from Hertz for a week in early July. Hertz says that if the vehicle is lost, stolen or damaged, we are responsible for: "the loss or damage to the vehicle; the Hertz Claims Management Fee and External Damage Assessment Fee; any towing and storage charges; loss of rental income; and other losses or expenses related to the incident". The accident excess amount on a 4WD hire is $6,000. Does Tripcover cover each of these types of claim up to the policy amount ($6,000)? We are particularly concerned about any loss of rental claim by Hertz while a vehicle is being repaired if an accident happens or the vehicle is damaged. Thank you.
So if the car was stolen they would charge you $6000 and yes our policy covers this and other accidents. Their loss of use fee is not covered however.Thank you for your response. Your advice as to the full payout of $6,000 if the car was stolen is what I would have expected. My question was more directed to each element of what might be claimed by Hertz if the vehicle is damaged. Hertz would charge $50 per day to remove the risk of all of the elements I listed, which makes Tripcover’s premium of $21.56 per day look attractive (and is the reason for my enquiry), but only if Tripcover covers the same risks. Could you please let me know what the payout by Tripcover/Allianz would be in respect of each of the following components listed by Hertz if I took out a $6,000 excess policy with you, the vehicle was damaged and Hertz made the following claims against me: Repair of damage to the vehicle $2,000; Hertz Claims Management Fee and External Damage Assessment Fee $200; Towing and storage charges $1,000 (Northern Territory); Loss of rental income $2,400; and Other losses or expenses related to the incident $400. Thank you.Repair of damage to the vehicle $2,000; Yes Hertz Claims Management Fee and External Damage Assessment Fee $200; Not sure, unless it is part of the excess Towing and storage charges $1,000 (Northern Territory); Not sure, unless it is part of the excess Loss of rental income $2,400; and No Other losses or expenses related to the incident $400. No

Hi, Does Tripcover cover the deposit for the rental car? The car rental company already have my card details but can pay the deposit on the day, Will i still have to pay this deposit once covered by tripcover?

Hello - we are considering to rent a motorhome from Wilderness Ltd In New Zealand. Their deductible is NZD 7500 for each event (Per clause 26. of their insurance T&Cs Pate’s below). Does the TripCover / Allianz excess insurance provide coverage for multiple events during one rental? Please provide a link to the TripCover / Allianz T&Cs for a Motorhome rental in New Zealand (renter resident in Switzerland.). Best Regards, Ted Wilderness Motorhome Ltd. insurance T&Cs: 23. Any driver described in this agreement as a person permitted to drive the Vehicle is, subject to the exclusions set out below, is indemnified to the extent of NZ$1,000,000 in respect of any liability he or she might have for damage to any property (including injury to any animal) belonging to any person and arising out of the use of the Vehicle. 24. The Hirer’s liability will be for any loss or damage to the Vehicle, however caused, and for any consequential loss or damage, during the term of this hire, or during any authorized extensions to the term up to the applicable excess amount (Note >>> Basic is NZD 7500) 25. The Hirer is liable for payment of the applicable insurance excess in the case of damage to, or accidents involv- ing the Vehicle when the Hirer has not taken liability reduction insurance. On payment of the liability reduction insurance by the Hirer, the excess payable by the Hirer is reduced or eliminated depending on the liability reduc- tion option selected and subject to exclusions in clause 28. The Operator may make the applicable deduction from the Hirer’s credit card following notification of any loss or damage to the Vehicle. 26. In the event of any damage to a Vehicle or third party property, another bond shall be collected to cover the excess for any subsequent damage. 27. Where the total cost of a claim is less than the excess then the Hirer shall be liable to pay that lesser amount. 28. The Hirer acknowledges that the cover referred to in clause 22 will not apply when: (a) the Vehicle is driven by anyone not named or described in this agreement as a person permitted to drive the Vehicle; (b) the driver of the Vehicle is under the influence of alcohol or any drug; (c) the Vehicle is in an unsafe or unroadworthy condition, such condition arising during the course of the hire, that caused or contributed to the damage or loss, and the Hirer or driver was aware or should have been aware of the unsafe or unroadworthy condition of the Vehicle; (d) the Vehicle is wilfully or recklessly damaged or lost by the Hirer, a nominated driver, or a person under the Hirer’s authority or control including sitting or standing on the roof, driving on any beach or surface likely to damage the Vehicle or cause it to become bogged or trapped, driving through flooded areas, submersing in water, contacting salt water; (e) the fuel or freshwater tanks are contaminated (f) the Vehicle was operated outside the terms of this agreement or any agreed extension of this agreement.
Not really Ted, the way it works is if you did have multiple events you would still only be covered up to the value of the policy.

Am I able to book this insurance on the day of picking up the vehicle?
Yes, Kate, anytime before pickup

I ve booked a car from JUCY. it is Zero Excess. but it is not cover for Tyre/windscreen damage fees and accident fee. Do I need to Tripcover? if need plan A or C
these policies are optional but yes our policy will cover these things Peter

Just wanted to confirm that the coverage you offer covers the excess charges only. It is not a substitute for actual car insurance correct, just the excess charge? So I would need to pay for car insurance as well on top of excess rental insurance correct?
Well in Australia Aaron, the rental car already has the insurance and the rental companies just apply an excess or deductible of around $4000 and that is what we cover, competing with the rental companies

hello, i want to know if that insurance can cover the damage caused by a kangaroo ? or something which happen during night time ? Thanks
Yes Kevin it covers hitting a roo but if the rental company wont let youdrive at night then we don't either as you must stay within the terms of the rental company.

I'm planning to rent an 8-seater from Thrfty.com.au. Is tripcover compatible with Thrifty's included standard protection? Specifically, are you going to cover the following? 1. "Your liability in the event of the accident (DRF)" = 4000 AUD 2. "Tyre/windscreen damage fees" = Additional 3. "Single vehicle accident fee" = 2200 AUD Tripcover states "excess" will be covered. But Thrifty worded their protection using "fees" and "liability". Not sure if they are one and the same. And more importantly, I want to know if I don't have to pay any of the items 1-3 above in case I run to any of those untoward incidents during my rental period. Thanks John
Yes, this is no problem J and don't worry about the terms or wording.

Reading all the reviews here, there seems to be a admin portion of excess that is not covered to the tune of $300 - so, any savings made by taking this insurance seems void and it's better to go with the more expensive hire car insurance bringing excess to 0. Care to address this Tripcover?
Zooter if you could show me where you got this figure from that would be great. The admin fee is applied by the rental company and I guess would be dependent on the value of the claim. The choice is yours to make, obviously but the stated admin fee, I believe is at the higher end. I would love to know the references where you pulled this information from. I think this is a sham question and I have reported you.Just received a duplicate of your complaint on Facebook. Not sure where you are getting this information from but are you some sort of bot out to do negative reviews for money. any answer would be appreciated. BTW I have reported you to Productreview.

Hi, If I change the type of cars during the rental period, that means have different rental agreement with different car rental company, does the insurance still covers the whole period? Thanks.
no Amy you need a separate policy for each rental agreement

Hi there, we are hiring a motorhome for 2 weeks in February from Sydney. The hire company quoted $55 per day full excess liability cover reduce the bond from $5000 to $0. Will your cover be adequate to cover this? And we are resident in the UK – again, will your cover apply to us and are there any extra costs? Thanks Alison London
Hi Allison, yes that is what our cover is for to compete head on with the rental company's offer. We do it much cheaper with the down side being that you would have to claim with Allianz should you have an accident.

Hello. We are Australians who will be renting a small car in Windhoek, Namibia, from Hertz and driving it into Botswana, then back to Windhoek. We have another rental a few days later for travel from Johannesburg to Durban, South Africa. I understand that we will require two separate excess insurance contracts. I would like to make sure that we are covered for the above three countries? Many thanks.
Yes Michele, there should be no problems with the policy covering you for there.They make no distinction regarding countries as far as I know. Options are just Australia or International.

What exactly are your admin costs in the event of a claim?
Hi Dee, we don't have admin fees the rental company have them, but we don't cover their admin fees

Hi, I'm planning on hiring a car in the UK, the standard excess is 1000pound, all invoices would be in pounds (not AUD), how does this affect claiming (if in the unfortunate case I have to)? Thanks!
Hi Emily, no problems, 1000 pounds is less than $2000 Allianz simply convert it an reimburse the cost of the damage.I see that Tripcover has answered already. it is my experience that Desmond and his team are really good at responding quickly. Terry

How do I go about changing the arrival/pickup date if I have already taken out a policy with Tripcover? Is this possible? Thank you.
Sure just email me email @ tripcover.com.au and I can change the dates but if different rates occur it is usually easiest for me to cancel and refund and you start again

HI there, I'm renting a 7 seater SUV from Enterprise via Vroomvroomvroom.com.au website from Melbourne Australia Airport 13th August - 28th August. I was looking to purchase Tripcover's Plan A during our trip. Does Tripcover's plan cover Enterprise?
Sure we cover any licensed rental company in the world

Hello, we are renting a car from Avis at Melbourne airport to Great Alpine Road, Avis have the condition of can not drive in snow and am wonder do Tripcover have snow cover insurance or we can just purchase the excess will do? FYI, our traveling date is not official winter season.
Hello Sandy, From my use of trip cover it is only cover for your excess. I’m not certain about snow cover, best to ring Allianz and ask! Sorry I couldn’t be more help!Hi Sandy, we work within the terms and conditions of the rental company. If they allow you to go up to the snow then we cover you there also.

Hello,if I buy your product then I have to pay a big amount to my car company Britz (5.000 AUD - franchise), but my local coin is Euro. This is a payment (they do not block the money) so when they give me back the money I could have a different exchange rate and lose a lot of money...do you cover this? I have read good reviews about you, but also people from abroad complaining about this problem, because if you add Tripcover insurance rate, plus bank comission to pay in AUD, plus exhange rate... finaly you pay the same more or less.Thank you.
I believe if the bill for the rental is in AUD then you will be refunded in AUD

Hi Trip Cover, I am looking at renting a car from Melbourne airport with East Coast Car Rentals and I am wondering whether you cover vehicles from this company before I purchase your cover? Kind Regards Jordan
Sure Jordan we cover all licensed rental vehicle companies

Get an answer from our members and Tripcover representatives

Similar listings