Tripcover Questions & Answers

68 questions from our users

Edmundasked

My car rental access is 6000. I already took up a travel insurance which cover my car rental access up to 2500. Can I just take up the 4000 access package to have full coverage?

Desmond S.Tripcover

Sure Edmund, and when claiming you just inform Allianz and they work out how to reimburse you.
They just don't want you doubling dipping.

Edmund

So, assuming if I have to claim the full AUD 6000. I will claim 2500 from my travel insurance and Tripcover will paid the remaining 3500 to me?

Desmond S.Tripcover

Yes something like that all insurance providers talk, I believe and come up with a solution, you can read more in our PDS https://tripcover.com.au/Allianz_Tripcover_Policy.pdf

Cay

Cayasked

HI,

Does this insurance cover the Searoad ferry trip from Sorrento to Queenscliff?
Thanks.

starof67
starof67

If you get in touch with Tripcover they will be able to answer your question. They are very prompt with replies.

Desmond S.Tripcover

Hi Cay yes the policy will cover you on the ferry

Jack

Jackasked

Hi, does it cover Uber Eat Car??

no sorry

Debbie

Debbieasked

does it cover scratches ?

Ram M.

Ram M.asked

Does this cover excess from cars hired from services like CarNextDoor?

Desmond S.Tripcover

no sorry not at this point, we don't do peer to peer rentals or car share, yet

Lisa M.

Lisa M.asked

canadians wishing to rent car in Brisbane Australia for couple of weeks. CC "Visa" discourages accepting collision damage waiver at rental desk-as they will cover vehicle in full . what about 3rd party liability in Au.? Car rental company assumes CTP (comp. 3rd party) while we drive? Our daughter lives in Au. and will be driver for most part-if not all driving -should we consider adding a level of outside insurance coverage?. thxs

Desmond S.Tripcover

"Car rental company assumes CTP (comp. 3rd party) while we drive?" usually they do best to ask them.
and we cover the excess or deductible for that. I cannot give personal advice as to taking out extra cover Lias.

Chris Q

Chris Qasked

Hi, we are thinking of taking out this insurance when hiring a motorhome in New Zealand. If we did need to make a claim, and the excess at the motorhome company is $7500, would we have to pay the full $7500 amount out of our own money, then claim back whatever we have covered ourselves for ($4000 or $6000) from Tripcover? Cheers Chris

Ingrid M

Ingrid Masked

Can I take out insurance once I have picked up the hire car?? Thanks

Desmond S.Tripcover

If you can send me an email verifying that no damage has occurred up to this point and we can use that
as legal tender for the policy. email des @ tripcover.com.au

Chris S.

Chris S.asked

Hello,

I am considering taking a policy for motorhome insurance with yourselves. The excess on the motorhome is 5000AUD.

Obviously, if I take the 6000AUD cover plan this will be fully compensated, however, if I take the 4000AUD cover plan (which is significantly cheaper) I would like to clarify what would happen if I damaged the vehicle exceeding 4000AUD worth of damage.

For example, if I caused 4500AUD worth of damage would I simply pay the 500AUD difference or would I have to pay the full 4500?

Thank you in anticipation of your reply.

You would just be liable for the $500 Chris

Lindsayasked

We will be hiring a 4WD from Hertz for a week in early July. Hertz says that if the vehicle is lost, stolen or damaged, we are responsible for:

"the loss or damage to the vehicle;
the Hertz Claims Management Fee and External Damage Assessment Fee;
any towing and storage charges;
loss of rental income; and
other losses or expenses related to the incident".

The accident excess amount on a 4WD hire is $6,000.

Does Tripcover cover each of these types of claim up to the policy amount ($6,000)? We are particularly concerned about any loss of rental claim by Hertz while a vehicle is being repaired if an accident happens or the vehicle is damaged.

Thank you.

Desmond S.Tripcover

So if the car was stolen they would charge you $6000 and yes our policy covers this and other accidents.
Their loss of use fee is not covered however.

Lindsay

Thank you for your response. Your advice as to the full payout of $6,000 if the car was stolen is what I would have expected.

My question was more directed to each element of what might be claimed by Hertz if the vehicle is damaged. Hertz would charge $50 per day to remove the risk of all of the elements I listed, which makes Tripcover’s premium of $21.56 per day look attractive (and is the reason for my enquiry), but only if Tripcover covers the same risks.

Could you please let me know what the payout by Tripcover/Allianz would be in respect of each of the following components listed by Hertz if I took out a $6,000 excess policy with you, the vehicle was damaged and Hertz made the following claims against me:

Repair of damage to the vehicle $2,000;
Hertz Claims Management Fee and External Damage Assessment Fee $200;
Towing and storage charges $1,000 (Northern Territory);
Loss of rental income $2,400; and
Other losses or expenses related to the incident $400.

Thank you.

Repair of damage to the vehicle $2,000; Yes
Hertz Claims Management Fee and External Damage Assessment Fee $200; Not sure, unless it is part of the excess
Towing and storage charges $1,000 (Northern Territory); Not sure, unless it is part of the excess
Loss of rental income $2,400; and No
Other losses or expenses related to the incident $400. No

Brit T.

Brit T.asked

Hi,
Does Tripcover cover the deposit for the rental car? The car rental company already have my card details but can pay the deposit on the day, Will i still have to pay this deposit once covered by tripcover?

Ted S

Ted Sasked

Hello - we are considering to rent a motorhome from Wilderness Ltd In New Zealand. Their deductible is NZD 7500 for each event (Per clause 26. of their insurance T&Cs Pate’s below).

Does the TripCover / Allianz excess insurance provide coverage for multiple events during one rental?

Please provide a link to the TripCover / Allianz T&Cs for a Motorhome rental in New Zealand (renter resident in Switzerland.).

Best Regards,

Ted

Wilderness Motorhome Ltd. insurance T&Cs:

23. Any driver described in this agreement as a person permitted to drive the Vehicle is, subject to the exclusions set out below, is indemnified to the extent of NZ$1,000,000 in respect of any liability he or she might have for damage to any property (including injury to any animal) belonging to any person and arising out of the use of the Vehicle.
24. The Hirer’s liability will be for any loss or damage to the Vehicle, however caused, and for any consequential loss or damage, during the term of this hire, or during any authorized extensions to the term up to the applicable excess amount (Note >>> Basic is NZD 7500)
25. The Hirer is liable for payment of the applicable insurance excess in the case of damage to, or accidents involv- ing the Vehicle when the Hirer has not taken liability reduction insurance. On payment of the liability reduction insurance by the Hirer, the excess payable by the Hirer is reduced or eliminated depending on the liability reduc- tion option selected and subject to exclusions in clause 28. The Operator may make the applicable deduction from the Hirer’s credit card following notification of any loss or damage to the Vehicle.
26. In the event of any damage to a Vehicle or third party property, another bond shall be collected to cover the excess for any subsequent damage.
27. Where the total cost of a claim is less than the excess then the Hirer shall be liable to pay that lesser amount. 28. The Hirer acknowledges that the cover referred to in clause 22 will not apply when: (a) the Vehicle is driven by anyone not named or described in this agreement as a person permitted to drive the Vehicle; (b) the driver of the Vehicle is under the influence of alcohol or any drug; (c) the Vehicle is in an unsafe or unroadworthy condition, such condition arising during the course of the hire, that caused or contributed to the damage or loss, and the Hirer or driver was aware or should have been aware of the unsafe or unroadworthy condition of the Vehicle; (d) the Vehicle is wilfully or recklessly damaged or lost by the Hirer, a nominated driver, or a person under the Hirer’s authority or control including sitting or standing on the roof, driving on any beach or surface likely to damage the Vehicle or cause it to become bogged or trapped, driving through flooded areas, submersing in water, contacting salt water; (e) the fuel or freshwater tanks are contaminated (f) the Vehicle was operated outside the terms of
this agreement or any agreed extension of this agreement.

Desmond S.Tripcover

Not really Ted, the way it works is if you did have multiple events you would still only be covered up to the value of the policy.

Toms

Tomsasked

Does this cover third party damage? I plan to go to New Zealand and hire a car there. While I can see there are rental car damage excess cover options, it may be a bit unclear if there are third party charges covered if I were to take out a worldwide policy? Many thanks Thomas

Katelyn W.

Katelyn W.asked

Am I able to book this insurance on the day of picking up the vehicle?

Yes, Kate, anytime before pickup

Peter P.

Peter P.asked

I ve booked a car from JUCY. it is Zero Excess. but it is not cover for Tyre/windscreen damage fees and accident fee. Do I need to Tripcover? if need plan A or C

Desmond S.Tripcover

these policies are optional but yes our policy will cover these things Peter

Aaron

Aaronasked

Just wanted to confirm that the coverage you offer covers the excess charges only. It is not a substitute for actual car insurance correct, just the excess charge? So I would need to pay for car insurance as well on top of excess rental insurance correct?

Desmond S.Tripcover

Well in Australia Aaron, the rental car already has the insurance and the rental companies just apply an excess or deductible of around $4000 and that is what we cover, competing with the rental companies

kevin

kevinasked

hello,
i want to know if that insurance can cover the damage caused by a kangaroo ? or something which happen during night time ?

Desmond S.Tripcover

Yes Kevin it covers hitting a roo but if the rental company wont let youdrive at night then we don't either as you must stay within the terms of the rental company.

jaeb777

jaeb777asked

I'm planning to rent an 8-seater from Thrfty.com.au. Is tripcover compatible with Thrifty's included standard protection?

Specifically, are you going to cover the following?
1. "Your liability in the event of the accident (DRF)" = 4000 AUD
2. "Tyre/windscreen damage fees" = Additional
3. "Single vehicle accident fee" = 2200 AUD

Tripcover states "excess" will be covered. But Thrifty worded their protection using "fees" and "liability". Not sure if they are one and the same. And more importantly, I want to know if I don't have to pay any of the items 1-3 above in case I run to any of those untoward incidents during my rental period.

John

Desmond S.Tripcover

Yes, this is no problem J and don't worry about the terms or wording.

zooterasked

Reading all the reviews here, there seems to be a admin portion of excess that is not covered to the tune of $300 - so, any savings made by taking this insurance seems void and it's better to go with the more expensive hire car insurance bringing excess to 0. Care to address this Tripcover?

Desmond S.Tripcover

Zooter if you could show me where you got this figure from that would be great.
The admin fee is applied by the rental company and I guess would be dependent on the value of the claim.
The choice is yours to make, obviously but the stated admin fee, I believe is at the higher end. I would love to know the references where you pulled this information from. I think this is a sham question and I have reported you.

Desmond S.Tripcover

Just received a duplicate of your complaint on Facebook. Not sure where you are getting this information from but are you some sort of bot out to do negative reviews for money. any answer would be appreciated.
BTW I have reported you to Productreview.

zooter

Hi Desmond - I'm not a bot and this was based on another review which claimed Tripcover didn't cover $300 admin fee and it would have been cheaper to go via car hire rental excess reduction

unfortunately I don't get an email response back when there is a reply, but I'll keep an eye out on this one. I'm not sure where you saw this in FB, but obviously you could have IMd me there I suppose if you wanted to get to the bottom of this

Amy T.

Amy T.asked

Hi,
If I change the type of cars during the rental period, that means have different rental agreement with different car rental company, does the insurance still covers the whole period?
Thanks.

Desmond S.Tripcover

no Amy you need a separate policy for each rental agreement

Get an answer from our members and Tripcover representatives