Triton TRA001

Triton TRA001

See the Best Routers / Cutout Tools in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Good as long as nothing goes wrong

I bought this to place into a (non-Triton) router table and generally it performs well. It is easy to adjust in the table and the soft start feature is good with such a powerful router. Mine arrived with one broken part and the wrong manual and Triton flatly refused to replace these components. I didn't need the winder and could get the correct manual from their web site - all went well until I needed a new collet - three months later still waiting. The issue seems to be their distributor (White International) - if you want a tool for regular hard work I recommend that you look elsewhere because Triton will let you down.

Date PurchasedJan 2016

Poor reliability

I bought this router 2nd hand several years ago. It runs quietly, has great features and is generally the most suitable for router table use. It just doesn't last very long.

The last few weeks a strange and loud whirring sound has been coming from the router typical of when a router bit comes loose in the collett. But after trying different bits, the noise persisted. I therefore suspected that it was worn bearings. So I took it apart following some instructions I found on the web. I got as far as being able to access the top bearing but not the bottom bearing which needs the chuck being removed. And that's as far as I got. There are no service centres in Adelaide for this to be repaired ( I think there's a "local" one in NSW as the email from triton in the UK pointed out...). I haven't rebuilt it yet, because in the process i damaged one of the brass guide bushings, but in my opinion, there is a "bad" vibration generating this whirring sound and it is on the verge of failing. It's a shame because it has a lot of innovative features but I'm not prepared to keep using a faulty product when there's safety involved.