4.2

gibz

gibzHobart, TAS

check a few things before buying

BadgeSE
    Date PurchasedJun 2017
    Rita

Rita

Awesome Cross country

I love my cross country xc70what a great ride beautiful seats roomy wagon and the engine is fantastic keep up the services and drive steady and you have a wonderful AWD. Very happy and I have had a 850 se wagon which was the Best but this one is shaping up to be just as good

BadgeCross country
    Date PurchasedJan 2005
    gabby

gabbySydney

XC70 LE D5 2008

I've purched my XC70 in 2008 and now after 180.000Km and 3 kids, is still going strong!!! Apart for the usual service I had to replace the battery once....fuel wise I get 8.8l/km in the city and 6.9l/km on th freeway (between 750/1050 km out of a full tank).I love the comfort, luxury, and huge boot, and I must say that the the car is very, very reliable and well built !!! ........I'll buy Volvo again without hesitation!!

BadgeD5 LE
    Date PurchasedOct 2008

T MacCoffs Harbour

Just bought my second XC70

DanSouth East Queensland, QLD

Excellent car but...

Need to keep servicing up to date to avoid issues and drain/refill transmission every 50,000km with correct fluids. Better feel on the road than any Australia built car.

BadgeSE

BillySydney

Help re Gearbox and other mystery cost over 100k

I have a 2005 XC and love it so far.
    Good bits are, very comfortable, powerful and same as other review positives.
    Bad, I only get about 420 k out of a tank.
    I am reviewing if I should sell or hang onto the car and hopefully do the long haul and as I am in my late 50's and do not want to spend more money on a car and hope to get 300 plus K plus. I have mates who have had XC50 that have 300 plus with very little go wrong and would like to think I can achieve the same with out expensive gearbox or other costly repairs... Has any one had gearbox trouble or other problems?

BadgeLE
    Kd
    Kd

Our transmission has gone. Very expensive. At only 90k.

André

Nick-P
    Nick-P
    Scott03
    Scott03

Hi I am wondering how reliable the car is now? Would you uh another one?

nfaruqi
    nfaruqi

I am planning to buy a used XC70, need the same advice about the reliability and servicing and maintenance. Please provide any comments that you might have. Thanks

Beema41ACT, 2914

The best car in the world!!!!!

MarkB
    MarkB

Beema, do you have the details of the Volvo specialist who performed your pre purchase inspection?

jazzyg123

jazzyg123

Good

Beema41

The private Volvo guy in Toowoomba is good too. Danish & well versed in fixing them, half the price of Volvo & twice the skill.

Terrible

Had to replace transmission 2 years ago was off the road for 6 weeks. Transmission has just gone again not worth repairing scrap value for the car only.
    I've had a 240, 850, V40, 740 & XC70. I have always been a proud Volvo owner until now. Volvos response when the Transmission went was bad luck. Having been broken down on the side of the SE Freeway one too many times I have given up on Volvo.

Scrapping the Volvo and buying a Lexus.
    Very comfortable well laid out car.
    Service very expensive. Only one dealer in Adelaide. Spare parts always a problem with delays from Melbourne.

max69
    max69

GregG09Canberra, Australian Capital Territory

So useful I Still Have it

TransmissionAuto
    GregG09

Now at 290K and still holding up well. I am sighting up an XC60 with Volvo's SPA technology as a replacement.

padag

padag

This is our second Volvo wagon, the previous one we disposed of after 25 years. We have found Volvo's to be good safe, comfortable, reliable cars. With the rear seat down there is enough room to carry as single mattress and base. The 2.5 turbo is quite responsive and it is a very nice car for general touring. It is quiet inside and has a luxurious feel in our LE model with sun-roof, leather seats and timber trim.
    Comfortable, pleasant interior, solid feel.
    Fuel consumption average, servicing quite expensive (like jazzyq123 we've ditched Volvo servicing for a local guy).

BadgeLE

Good

Beema41

My 2007 has sports transmission, love to drive it using geartronic shifting, it gets up & goes, love that turbo! Blows away a lot of cars & surprises them too!

ijr

ijr

Xc70loverasked

XC70 Mk.2-II (2004-2007)

Hi, I'm looking at buying a 2007 xc70 with 140k on the clock. The logbook is up to date but missing some of the history and is apparently a 1 owner car.
    Please can I have some advice on what to look out for? The car does seem to drive well and the body in good shape

Dan

Hi there, all major services need to be carried out at 190,000km,See when the transmission fluid has been changed every 50,000km, timing belt is due about now unless it's already been done and change the PCV system at same time as timing belt if need be, use only fully synthetic engine oil, check suspension system and tyre wear that will tell you the condition of suspension and the more electronic gadjets it has the more you'll have to watch ie, power sunroofs can develop closing issues DTSC system can need services over time.. I think that about covers it, let me know if I've missed anything ,hope this helps you

Xc70lover

My 2008 xc70 D5 has finally sold, glad I didn't buy the above as I would have had 2 cars for a while. Still looking at another xc70, thanks for the advice above, I shall ask more Q's if I have any, cheers

anthony01asked

XC70

I am looking at purchasing a 2001 xc70 auto wagon as a work car. But redbook do not list this model till 2003. My question, what year did volvo actually start selling these in Australia? And what are the common faults to look for on this model?

GregG09

I am unsure when Volvo XC70 sales started in Oz. My xc70 is a 2003 model and there is at least one earlier model on the road. Differences between thes appear to be badges only. Maybe search Internet for more detail. What's good is chassis, suspension, coach work & finish. What's not so good is cost for new parts although used parts are reasonable. Common fault is radiator leak. Also check door rubbers these tend to wear from driver entry and exit. I like the car and intend owning it for many more years --- mostly used around town and some work ute type of tasks

anthony01

Thanks greg. Yes more research is needed. I am just looking at it from an insurance point of view. Although I doubt it would be an import. And I will take note on the things to look for as the car has 300k on it.

Dan

Yes the early models were called xc70 cross country , check transmission and make sure you obtain receipts to what and when it was fixed as from 2000 to 2004-2005 all had transmission problems sooner or later, check PCV emissions system and run only in fully synthetic oil..

mihelffyasked

XC70

Hi out there, Im checking from a dealer a 2nd hand 2005 Volvo XC, 5 cyl,auto, turbo, a/c,..108.000kms, 7 seater s/wagon...I read reviews on the XC7, is it this same car? and what should I look out for possible faults.
    appreciate your advice.

Dan

All log book servicing must be in to date and check that the gearbox oil has been flushed regularly and works as it should

Hi
    i have a 2005 with 104 k on the clock . So far all good ,These car should last !
    I have had some clunky noises out of the gear box and a gearbox oil change seemed to sort that out. I,m no expert !
    My goal is to get to at least to 200 plus k as an older bloke hoping that this car will see me a long way .. if fuel is something that bothers you these cars like a drink ..around town 14.5 ltr /100 klm. however you get a lot of car for the current market place of these cars.

For me I would be checking timing belt replacement , air con gassing ..i have had to re gas they leak a bit apparently ..why !

My side blinkers needed replacing as the fittings a re just plastic .
    As many other Xc owners i think are hoping that the old gearbox dramas with earlier models are long gone ..still if any noises I would get an expert to comment.

mihelffy

Thanks guys, everybody seems to agree that gear box is a very possible problem in these cars, which really its not a problem to take lightly, as it would rapidly make the difference of "well priced car".

Other Wagons