Review rating:

Melbourne

• 1 comment
  • 2 helpful votes
Private message

Generation: ND (2015-2019) Badge: Roadster GT Engine Size: 2.0L Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Mar 2017

Flat battery

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 11, 2019

I have had my MX5 RF 2017 from new. 15 months after it was delivered the battery died and the car needed to be towed to the dealer, After it being at the dealership for 6 weeks sorting out many issues, I was told it had a faulty battery so a new one was installed. Then 4 months later the new one failed as well, so for the 2nd time my car was towed to the dealership. I was questioned if I had left the the interior light on or modified the car to which I said not at all, I was made to feel that I had done something wrong and caused the problem! So after two weeks of testing and changing the battery I was told that they could find nothing wrong and to pick it up. The day I went in to pick it up, guess what, they went to get it and it would not start because the battery was flat!!!!!! What ever you do, do not purchase a Mazda MX 5 until they take ownership of the issue and fix it

Burleigh Heads, QLD

• 20 helpful votes
Private message

Verified Purchase Generation: ND (2015-2019) Badge: Roadster GT Engine Size: 2.0L Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Oct 2016

All they say it is

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 05, 2018

Fun weekend and special touring car to replace our motorcycle (BMW1300GT SE). Not quite the same but still get that open air buzz.
Pros:
- Read the motoring journalist's reviews: brilliant.
- Exactly as the motoring journalists describe: superb handling and road traction
- Enough power not to get ones-self into trouble (nippy).
- Great Roadster style
- Very easy to raise and lower the roof.
Cons:
- Biggest problem is the Soul Red colour: very soft and thin paint, marks, scratches, and chips easily
- This model has little of the great safety features that are supplied in the newest model
- Room is a problem if you're over 6 feet tall (183 cm)
- Not enough stowage areas in the cabin.

Gold Coast Qld

Private message

Generation: NC (2005-2014) Badge: Roaster Coupe Engine Size: 2.0L Transmission: Manual Date Purchased: Mar 2013

The real sports car

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 27, 2018

The Mazda MX5 has developed it's own unique DNA since the first NA model was launched over 25 years ago, small improvements in safety and driving dynamics have ensured the MX5 maintained it's true sports car credentials. I have owned my NC2 coupe for over 5 years, with regular services from my local Mazda dealer. This MX5 has never had any warranty or service issues, although I have not used it on a daily basis, I feel the MX5 is better suited for that pure driving experience.

orange nsw

• 3 helpful votes
Private message

Generation: NB (1998-2005) Badge: SE Engine Size: 1.8L Transmission: Manual Date Purchased: Oct 2011

2004 Mazda MX5 SE Turbo Edition

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 08, 2018

My thoughts are purely based on the SE Turbo which I owned for roughly 7 years. My advice to any one thinking about a purchase of this great motoring marque would be to source out a very good solid one owner vehicle which is totally stock standard or still at factory specs. These particular cars especially the SE Turbo have a habit of falling into the category of the slightly modded to a heavily modded vehicle. In the end mine fell into the heavily modded mold and put out a whopping 300 RWHP
If I had it over would I do it again? Definitely not and I think the way to go with these cars is totally stock.
Over the period I had mine which was an original one owner car when I sourced it from the Qld owner I clocked up roughly 40,000 trouble free klm
My SE Turbo actually did two very long and fast trips to the top end of Australia. One trip was a 14.000 klm jaunt and the other an 11.000 klm affair. Both trips were trouble free and the car was on the road daily for roughly six weeks per trip.
The biggest run of the two we headed off from Central NSW to Broken Hill, Port Augusta, Uluru, Darwin, Three ways, Mt Isa Bourke and back home. A trouble free jaunt with just one oil and filter change along the way.
Very good on fuel economy and pretty comfortable in the cabin too. I'm roughly 5.10" so not sure on long distance travel if you come in at 6 foot plus. We did manage to cram all out gear inside the rear deck plus the boot too...LOL
So again my advise would be a 5 STAR on buying an SE Turbo or any of the other NB variants BUT I would definitely advise future buyers to stay clear of any modded cars. The more the mods the better the chance of the risk of being tracked or heavily abused!
There not that expensive to buy now and there are still plenty of good unmolested car still there!

BEELIAR, WA

• 3 comments
  • 9 helpful votes
Private message

Verified Purchase Generation: ND (2015-2019) Badge: Limited Edition Engine Size: 2.0L Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Feb 2018

I LOVE THIS SPORTS CAR!

4 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 20, 2018

FOUR STARS Engine/Drivetrain/Chassis! FOUR STARS Price, Packaging and Practicality! FOUR STARS Safety & Technology! FOUR STARS Behind the Wheel! FOUR STARS X-Factor!
What I like: FOUR STARS Braking and handling tweaks, FOUR STARS Stand-out styling cues, FOUR STARS Body-hugging seats. Not so much: TWO STARS Price relative to competitors, TWO STARS It could use more power, TWO STARS Tight headroom.

• 11 helpful votes
Private message

Generation: ND (2015-2019) Badge: Roadster GT Engine Size: 2.0L Transmission: Manual Date Purchased: Nov 2016

Sweet Old School Roadster

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 05, 2018

When I saw a new red roadster with tan leather unholstery in the showroom I was smitten. It was just a matter of getting the same car in a manual for the best possible price. Within a few weeks I was driving it home and 18 months later I still love it.
This time I kept my practical car because this one can only be used for some supermarket shopping or small items. It is essentially a driver's car for driving and in that it excels. A 10km trip to the shops can easily turn into 50km + simply because it's such a sweet drive.

The looks are classic old school roadster with simple but elegant lines that are gorgeous. It's light, with lots of aluminium and a dedicated chassis that needs to be seen from underneath to appreciate how much work Mazda have put into this car. With the LSD and RWD you can feel it squirming for grip at times but it's so small and light you can literally throw it around with confidence and enjoy some real driving fun.

The finish is excellent and the seating position is very snug but totally appropriate. The Bose 9 speaker audio provides wonderful clear punchy sound even at 100km + with the top down. The gearbox shift is sublime and the engine delivers instant go from 2,000rpm while sipping fuel. My average is about 6.3L/100km, less than quoted.

It's also the sort of car that's begging to be modified and responds very well with lots of options available.
I replaced the coil springs with some much meatier ones that lowered it a bit and had a specific alignment to increase the negative camber. I also changed the exhaust and optimised the performance.
It's now a quick car that pulls harder above 5,000rpm with a sweet note and handling to match, yet there are several turbo and super charger options available to make this little roadster even quicker without breaking the bank.

if you want to feel young again this new timeless classic is hard to beat.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Adelaide

• 3 helpful votes
Private message

Verified Purchase Generation: ND (2015-2019) Engine Size: 1.5L Transmission: Manual Date Purchased: Oct 2016

Yes, you can be in love with a car!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 22, 2017

Every single time I sit behind the wheel... I smile.
Pure bliss is what you feel when you drive it. No problems whatsoever so far.
This is my first convertible/roadster so I do not have much to compare it to but if you feel like buying a toy you can actually drive, buy that one!

Auckland

• 2 helpful votes
Private message

Generation: NA (1989-1997) Badge: Classic Engine Size: 1.5L Transmission: Manual Date Purchased: Jan 2000

Best roadster convertable I ever owned.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 16, 2017

Driving experience , drive one to experience the exelant feeling. Increadable reliable. Economical cost effective. I now own the 4th Mx5. 1990 +
My first one (BLUE) was given to my Daurghter when she was of driving age at 16 y. Again I bought a next Roadster Merc slk and replaced this with next Mx5 white 9mths later. This one whent to 2nd daughter at driving age.Then I got Toyota celiaca and replaced with Mx5 ( Green) that whent to 3rd Daughter. Then I got BMW roadster one year later replaced with Mx5 Red 1990 . No further Daughters my own at last. I bought in the y2000. Still own it today 2017 Feb. This car served me well. And we, me and my wife enjoy this red convertible every weekend out. We use this car every day for work and shopping travel.
We have a hard top that comes off on sunny days. Shopping not space on some shopping days. However everything we make to fit. We run a guest home so plenty grosery shopping needed weekly. For only 2 this car will have plenty space. We enjoy most weekends travelling in Nz staying over at resorts. Plenty space for weekend or long weekend packing.
When we chose to camp out still space to pack all camping gear. We prefer using restaurants when camping. Ha Ha.
Economics. This fast performer with manual gears gives lots of grunt on roads and mountain passes.
Travel extreemly well uphill and this 1500 cc motor has plenty torque and power for this well designed light body. I got it with 11000 km and traveled all over in Nz where the km read today 298000 in 2017 Feb.
Soon be far over 300 000km on clock. Chaining cam/ Timing belt every 100 000 so 2 changes done myself. Need next one soon. However old belts were in good condition after changing.
Petrol use about 4.5 to 5.1 liter per 100 kms.
Service. Every 20to30 000 km. I use Wynns engine flushed about 2 to 3 weeks before the new oil change. After replacing 3 liter new oil 20w50 or 15w50 , I include one bottle of motor up engine treatment. Change plugs every 80000 km and use Wynns fuel sys cleaner with oil change when not replacing plugs. I keep recording this in small book. Records important.
Cosmetics. The look of the motor from top and bottom I clean with cheap degrees and good all pursue cleaner about once every 6 mths . Every time the bonet is opened it looks like a bran new motor and car. This keeps the value high.
The paint work: I whash and wax about ever 2 to 3 weeks only 17 times yearly, I clean my Mx5 with Crc Vortex wash & wax spray on.
Every about 2 months I do full detailing using Autohouse polich and car Autohouse wash from the bucket. Auto house glass cleaner, my experience the cheaper glass cleaner with green frog on as logo on white bottel works even better.
The liqud polich take a long time to apply and it preserve the paint work to keep it prestigious condition it outshine even the latest Mx5 models of 2017. My Mx5 is stored under a canapé not in the garage that holds our Cx 3 and the motorbikes a Harley and Suzuki vs 800 both customised.
For a Mx5 red to look like new 27 years later make us feel good when we hear comments as others admire this Mx5, from guests at resorts and camp sites we visit regularly. In the Mx5 club other Mx5 owners make good comments to find out what I do to keep my Mx5 in this top preteen condition.
Well, we enjoy this Mx5 plenty.
I have been offered from $ 9 to 12 k for this 27 year old classic. Insurance very cheap as classic.
One can get this model from 98 to 97 for about $3k to $4k. When you get one enjoy the polich and wash with wash and wax regulary. Keep Clean the interior . This reliable Mazda Miata will serve you well and supply plenty enjoyment. Perfect for 2. Shooting and weekend travels.
Anyone thinking of a convertible take a test drive in a Mx5. From the Gen. 1 to now Gen. 4 even the new fast back hardtop removable is all reliable and enjoyable. Compair to other reviews. Test drive one and you will be happy choosing a Mx5 as a all grunt car. No better sensation to enjoy the wind in your hair when the top is down on a good day.
Review Feb 2017 about Mx5 1990 Jan model.

• 4 helpful votes
Private message

Generation: NC (2005-2014) Badge: Roadster Engine Size: 2.0L Transmission: Manual Date Purchased: May 2009

Everything you could want in a cheaper sports car

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 26, 2016

Bought this rare marble white series 1 NC back in 2009 when it had 42,000kms on the odometer. Having travelled a further 68,000 kms through Vic, SA, NSW and Tasmania, I can honestly say this is an exceptionally reliable car and a real fun driving experience. Also a good touring car albeit not a very practical one. I love the handling although it me some time to learn to drive fast on winding roads ( I have always been a very cautious driver ). Generally the car has been economical recording around 7 litres per 100kms on two interstate trips and using 98 octane. Around town about 9 litres per 100 kms.The recent 110,000 km service carried out by a local mechanic cost only $440 and included 5 litres of FL 22 coolant and a new air cleaner element. Mazda dealer was contacted regarding cost of coolant service and quoted a hefty $340 which included 2 x 5 litre containers of the "magic" green liquid. Decided by the local mechanic to only drain and replace the coolant in the radiator and carry out the next flush earlier than 5 years/50,000 kms. False economy? Just test coolant strength every 12 months. The car has a nice interior apart from the plastics used. Tyres have been replaced every 40,000 kms and always Michelin Pilots. And I love the ease of putting the fabric hood up and down as I still have memories of the silly set up on my old MGB. My only gripe, the truck like manual transmission when cold. Can't see myself selling this car, at least not in the next 10 years when I will be too old to drive anyway. Perhaps I will then keep it in the garage under the custom made indoor cover provided MX5 Mania.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

croydon

• 6 helpful votes
Private message

Generation: NC (2005-2014) Badge: Roadster Engine Size: 2.0L Transmission: Automatic

Value for money

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 20, 2016

Car looks great. Feels great to drive. Retractable hardtop is down in 12 seconds. Very secure. Not the fastest car but very smooth. Sound system bose is superb. Leather seats still smells inside like new. Uses approx 9ltrs per 100ks. It has 4 cupholders! Last mx5 1999 had only one hidden one in console. Cruise control and control on steering wheel for radio is awesome. Lights look fantastic!

Wellington

• 12 comments
  • 9 answers
  • 20 helpful votes

Comparing my Mk2 and Mk3 MX5's

4 out of 5, reviewed on May 23, 2014

For a short time I owned both these models so can give you an unbiased opinion. I brought a 2005 red Mk3 with black leather 4 years ago, and love it. Paid $24k from a dealer and its mint condition with 60,000k on the clock. 2 years prior to that I brought a used import Mk2 brought privately for $8k with 140,000km, and loved that too, never had any problems with either apart from tyres and a new batteries. The 1.8 litre Mk2 felt (and was) older and slower, but easier to drive. The doors were also lower and no rollover hoops, so you felt a bit more exposed from all angles and a bit more vulnerable, but more in touch with the outside world. I thought it was the Bees knees until I got the Mk3 !!!!
The Mk3 has much more power (all you really need in the real world), crisper handling, more room, its point and shoot, it would leave the Mk2 behind on any road. It has rollover hoops and higher doors so you feel a bit safer (not much), and less wind buffeting.
Probably the biggest improvement is the centre hood release so if it starts raining you can unhitch with one hand and push back while driving in rush hours at about 40 kph, and, with a good pull you can pull the hood back up with one hand and secure it while driving at 30 KMph. The Mk2 requires reaching across to the passenger side to release both catches so not possible while driving alone, if it starts to rain you have to stop. Also to keep things tidy in the Mk2 you have a torneau cover you have to put on, whereas the Mk3 is just more neat as it folds down.
Both models kept getting flat batteries in the garage, as I only used them once or twice a month, new batteries and a trickle charger fixes that.
I get lots of comments in my Mk3 "thats a nice car" but didn't get any in the Mk2, perhaps because it was white, not red.
The downsides of the Mk3 is it doesn't have a spare wheel (the Mk2 did), just a pump and some goo (like a motorbike), so I am reluctant to take the Mk3 cross country or in isolated places. Some of the plastics feel a little harder and cheaper than the old car too, and home servicing would be a little more difficult being a modern engine. Occasionally I have to spray under the rear suspension with Silicone lubricant as it dries out squeaks over judder bars. The Mk3 requires more input to keep it on the road being a lot more responsive, where the mk2 you didnt have to concentrate quite as much. If you have a choice, pay a bit more and go for the Mk3. If you can only afford a Mk2, you still wont be disappointed. Id rate Mk2 9.0/10 and the Mk3 9.5/10. A little more power would be appreciated. You really need another normal car for carrying people and goods,
and keep this as a toy. Hope that helps if you cant decide.

+ Handling, looks, fun factor, reliable, cheap to run, single hood release.

- No spare wheel, battery goes flat when not used, not a practical car.

• 4 helpful votes

spare parts

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 10, 2014

I have a 2014 mx5 which needs a new fuel pump and Mazda Australia has no spare fuel pump in Australia. The best they offer is a 3 week delivery from Japan. Interested to know if other people are experiencing similar unreasonable delays from Mazda Australia? I wish Mazda's sales brochure was more realistic about time delays for standard parts. I suggest the by-line should be Zoom Zoom (until you need a spare part).

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

Three week wait is normal in NZ for MX5 parts, they all come from Japan.

• 2 comments
  • 1 question
  • 2 answers
  • 8 helpful votes

Generation: NC (2005-2014) Transmission: Manual Engine Size: 2.0L

Great car

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 18, 2014

Owned a 2006 hard top for 3 years and absolutely loved it. Can't wait for the new gen 4 version to release at next years Chicago Car Show in February.

Handling was great. Loved the styling and stereo system. Sat nav would have been nice. Maybe in the 2015 model.

+ Great cornering. Fast and nippy to drive.

sydney

• 1 comment
  • 3 answers
  • 6 helpful votes

Brilliant affordable sports car

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 09, 2013

I'm not going to write a really long winded review - google NC MX5 and you'll find millions. The car is brilliant, handles fantastically out of the box, looks good, is damned cheap to service, and near indestructible. I've owned a number of turbo cars, so in a straight line it is a little underpowered.
As far as breathing modifications go, I've added a quality rear muffler, headers, and high flow panel filter. Interior I've added lambswool seat covers (yes, daggy, but leather is sticky and hot!) and a quality Pioneer infotainment unit with GPS (Do this properly, don't skimp, and make sure you get a quality install that retains ALL steering wheel controls). Mail me if you want details.
The breathing/tuning mods have transformed the car, and brought it up closer to the 150Kw mark. An ECU tune is coming, so I'll update this once done.
UPDATE: ECU tune, racingbeat headers, quality high flow rear muffler = 120Kw ATW. Not bad for a N/A vehicle.
This is about where you'd leave it, if staying NA. Chasing more power than this from the MX5 is futile without forced induction, and is easily a 10K proposition to do properly.
Best advice I can give - find a low km used example. The NC 3 MX5 has not changed, and I wouldn't dream of spending $47,000 on one of these. $25,000 though? Hell yeah, that's a sports car bargain

+ Light, handles, brakes, steers, classic rear drive, in tune with driver

- Nothing, but it is a simple car - don't expect much in the way of mod cons.

Sydney

Driving Nirvana

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 01, 2013

I have owned a 2009 soft top MX5 NC for the past 8 months and have found it to be a highly enjoybale everyday car to drive. Whether driving to work or exploring back roads the car has been practically faultless. The car feels so connected to the road and the slightest inputs are translated through the steering wheel. I have found the power to be more than adequate even when on holiday loaded up with luggage and 2 people. The car idles very well on the freeway at 6th gear. I believe manual should be the only option for this car since the 6 speed manual is an absolute delight to drive and is a massive part of enjoyment in any sportscars. There is the stigma with MX5s as with most smaller convertibles but who cares when a car is this much fun what anyone else thinks.
I now find myself travelling out of my way to find more corners and fun roads to drive on.
Highly recommended!

+ Perfromance, engne note, spacious cabin (within reason), simple roof folding mechanism, suspension is not hard but is perfect for hard cornering, brakes are fantatsic, everything

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

This is my second MX5 and to me it is absolutely brilliant. The car is a pleasure to drive either around town or on long freeway jaunts. Looking forward to purchasing my 3rd MX5 (joint collaborat... read more »

perth

• 7 helpful votes

M is for Magic

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 13, 2012

I have owned my MX 5 for 5 years and l have no hesitation in recommending the car - low maintence - but more importantly low maintence costs. I did have trouble with the passenger side head light constantly having to be replaced every 2 to 3 months (this was done at my local garage at a cost of $26 each time) until l took my car to a Mazda Service shop where they cleaned the light before installing a new bulb - the cost $15 and I have never had a problem since. Economical to run especially since l have 50kms to travel to work - 100kms round trip each day. In the 5 years i have had my Mazda, l have only had to replace the tyres and a battery... My next car will also be a Mazda MX5

+ Performance and economical

MELBOURNE

Generation: NC (2005-2014) Engine Size: 2.0L Transmission: Manual

Exactly what I was looking for!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 19, 2012

Have never been a rev head and its never really worried me what car I got from A to B in. A mate of mine asked me to look after his NB whilst on holidays and said to me to take it out on a nice day if I wanted, big mistake! Perfect sunny day, top down, driving through the windey mountain roads, I was hooked! The minute I got home, I was online looking for one for myself. Bought an NC model and I've never been so interested in the weather too. Im continuously looking at the weather forecast hoping the weekend's going to be sunny so I can take my baby out for a spin. I've even found I'm pushing it more and more around the windey bends and the handling is amazing, even for a good driving novice. Awesome car, totally recommend it.

+ Looks tough, drives tough, and is the perfect way to unwinde.

- Nothing at all. If I had to choose anything, is your constantly wondering how you can make it any better than it already is, and I can't!

• 2 comments
  • 3 answers
  • 31 helpful votes

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 01, 2012

900,000 people world wide can’t be wrong. Mazda now holds the Guinness Book record for the manufacture of light weight sports Roadsters and only after 3 major updates. Mazda must be proud of the progress in the evolution of such a great sports roadster. I look forward to the next update with Sky Engine and Gearbox enhancements! The British may had held the title in the 60s but Mazda has reinvented the concept and it only gets better with each evolution. "Jinba Ittai" - Rider and Horse as one is the perfect war cry for this fantastic ride.

+ The series 3 (NC) MX5 is a perfect evolution of the make. It handles stops and goes with acceptable pace for today. 14.9 second for the quarter mile is not what you would call slow and the vehicle will get the tail out and put a smile on your face when provoked. It puts some so called performance cars to shame when playing on a twisty road. Mazda says the power is adequate and I have to agree. With more poke I feel it would not be as enjoyable. When I test drove the first NC limited edition two up without traction control and with a 4000 RPM launch I had the tail at 45 degrees for some time while the LSD was trying hard to lock the car to the ground and the rev limiter was telling me to change gear! If you look closely underneath you will find the suspension is fully adjustable with graduating plates to show alignment. This is not a cheap build item and along with the alloy double A Arm front end with inclined Brillstein Shocks (older race car design) and the light weight multilink assembles in the rear mated with light Forged BBS Wheels makes unsprung weight very low. The placement of engine well behind the front end and kept low and locked through the gearbox and differential by a lightweight ridged frame and finally the inclined radiator inside a large plenum inlet provides the low Cof G necessary for such a vehicle. This combo package makes this vehicle staggeringly good. All this at a reasonable price.

- My 2006 MX5 Blaze Limited Edition was part of a shipment of 200 delivered to Australia. Mazda has a habit of producing end of year builds with no cost extras to sell off in the following year. While these are available in Japan in Auto/Manual and Soft-top/Hardtop. I n the land down under you can only get a Manual Soft-top. Mazda Australia will not request the others!Handling wise - When push comes to shove I found there was too much for and aft body movement under full steam. I got tired of look over the bow of a ship while pressing on, this also affected steering input. The lateral roil in corners is acceptable and neutral; butI have fitted Non progressive rate Racing Beat Springs from the US that are 25% stiffer and ½ inch lower mated with the largest Sway Bars from Selby’s which I have found fixed all my gripes. While it rides firm it is not over the top and allows the MX5 to really do what it was designed for. I wish the Recaro Seats of some models were available in mine and a spare wheel would be almost necessary in Australia with such large distances between towns. I have been caught out once with a deflating tyre that had only 13 PSI when I finally got to a service station. I had to drive very carefully to stop from rolling the tyre off the rim! A tyre pressure monitoring system would be a nice upgrade item; I now carry a 4X4 tyre repair kit jus in case…..

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Nice!

4 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 12, 2011

We've been for drives with my mate who's got the car. i think he did some adjusments to the car though like it was really low and had a new exhaust.

+ It was a good ride, pretty smooth cos usually manual cars are really bumpy ( or is that just the driver?) seats were real comfy and the exhaust didn't make too much noise. it's not a muscle car and it's not a girly car. it's like in between so I'd get one!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 10, 2011

Brilliant I've had mine nearly 4 years in stormy blue the same as the picture. Just a great fun car to drive, when I drive anything else they seem like a tank.

+ Everything.