Bayer Advantage for Cats

Bayer Advantage for Cats Questions & Answers

Purple (Large Cats), Orange (Small Cats)

33 questions from our users

Ginge

Gingeasked

Advantage for Cats

I’ve just got a 7 week old kitten ... is it safe to use advantage to treat fleas as I’ve seen a few in her since she arrives today?

Sue Q.

Sue Q.asked

Advantage for Cats Orange (Small Cats)

Can I use the small cat doseon a 4.8 pound cat?

Deborah M.

Deborah M.asked

Advantage for Cats

Did they change the smell of advantage 11? Got some online and smells like flowers and i dont remember it smelling like that.

Ginger W.

Ginger W.asked

Advantage for Cats

I used the small cat 5-9 on my kitten weighing 2.5 lbs. Will this harm her? She is over 8 weeks old

Suzanne C.

Suzanne C.asked

Advantage for Cats

I have a short haired female cat my question I buy advantage 2 4 month dose after it's all done what is the waiting period between applications before I start the treatment again?

Karen

Karenasked

Advantage for Cats

Our indoor cat is 7, a very large ragdoll. 10kg. we applied his treatment 2 weeks ago. We’ve always used advantage on him. Our issue is, we’re concerned that it was not completely worked, due to his size.

BTW when he’s hit with fleas...... he loves being vacuumed, whenever possible. If the vacuum is being used in another room, he cries at me till I let him in, and he goes straight for it, nudging it on him, so we take the top off and vacuum him often.

Anyway, this time, when we put his treatment on him, we put half behind his neck and half at the base of his tail where all the fleas congregate. Two places he is unable to groom, so he can’t ingest it. Now It seems they migrated to his legs and under his stomach. Just wanting to know if giving him a half a dose would be okay.

James R.

James R.asked

Advantage for Cats

How soon after treatment can cats be let out?

Lucy C.

Lucy C.asked

Advantage for Cats

I will like to know has the scent of advantage change in any way because it smell like roses and I dont remember that it smell like roses very confuse here?

LyndaYates

LyndaYatesasked

Advantage for Cats

I have used Advantage on my cats for many years without problems. Last year I did notice that my Turkish Van cat lost some fur on her shoulders but I didn't connect that with using Advantage. But this year this has a big bald red patch directly where I put some on her shoulders and a day or so later a smaller balding area on her head, again where Advantage was applied. So does that mean she needs to be treated with another product now she is sensitive to this? What would you recommend? Being longhaired it is hard to rid her of fleas and she is out a lot so does seem to get them all summer. She doesn't mind being washed as she likes water but does flea rid soap work?

Joy Dasked

Advantage for Cats

I accidentally bought the Advantage II for large cats. My cats are just under 9 lbs. will this hurt them?

Adam Y.
Adam Y.

so what happened

Joy D

I used it. They were actually only 7-8 lbs at the time, but it didn’t make them sick at all. Now both cats are over 10 lbs, 11 months old.

Steve F.

Steve F.asked

Advantage for Cats

can i let my cat outside after treatment?

cindy C.

cindy C.asked

Advantage for Cats

Hi. I put 2 doses of advantage cat at the same time. I did not read the restrictions. Can this have any consequences on my cat?

Hoton

Hotonasked

Advantage for Cats Purple (Large Cats)

Why am I seeing two different packages for advantage ii for large cats, what is the difference?

Kathryn

Kathrynasked

Advantage for Cats Purple (Large Cats)

What are the risks of giving to dosages in two days?

Jas

Jasasked

Advantage for Cats Orange (Small Cats)

I accidently bought the Advantage for under 4kg cats when my cat is over 4kg. Can I still use this or would it be harmful to her? She's an old cat.

lits

litsasked

Advantage for Cats Orange (Small Cats)

I used Advantage on my 22 year old cat. I saw 1 flea on my dog so the vet office said I should treat all animals. 2 days later my cat died. Could this be due to the flea medication?

Amy
Amy

Hi lits,
I'm so sorry to hear about your cat. You should ask your vet if they've heard of similar cases. I have heard of seizures and other bad reactions to some cheaper flea medications but not death as a result.
Best of luck
-Amy

Gayle P

Gayle Pasked

Advantage for Cats Orange (Small Cats)

I put advantage 2 on my cat, the next day I took her to vet with eye problem. Vet put advantage multi on her. One day apart. Will this hurt her?

SoftCarpet

Hi, best to check in with your vet if you have concerns but if the eye problem existed BEFORE the flea treatment then it is unlikely to impact. Just observe your cat for any adverse symptoms of the Advantage - the multi kills worms as well but honestly how many times is worming needed? Especially those of us who have indoor cats - where are the worms supposed to be coming from?? If you give your pet human grade meat you should be able to avoid parasites from food! and tin food has been heat treated so presumably no worms there either...it could all be a marketing gimmick to scare us into thinking our poor little fluffies are riddled with parasites! Of course if your fluffy goes outside it might be another story - best do your own research and consult another vet for a second opinion if you are not happy with any answers.

Cat owner

Cat ownerasked

Advantage for Cats Purple (Large Cats)

My cat never goes outside, but once in a while fleas seem to get in the house. They seem to like to bite me. I hardly notice my cat being bothered. Usually one treatment with Advantage eliminates them for months or years. About two months ago, I was getting bitten, treated the cat, and it stopped. A month later (about 2 weeks ago) I got bites again, so I treated her again and it stopped. It is 11 days since then and now I have another bite! These aren't mosquito bites, I know a flea bite when I get it, because they are so horribly itchy and I have a really bad reaction to them. Can I treat her again after 11 days? I can't even see or find any fleas, but I get bitten, and it is always just along the edge of a piece of clothing (like right where my sock stops) which is the usual motus operandi for fleas, so I'm sure that is what is biting me. Again - can I treat her again - flea life cycles are 11 days, and it seems like the Advantage is not killing the eggs like it should. Any suggestions?

Cath 161
Cath 161

Unfortunately it sounds like the fleas are building a resistance to the Advantage. It happens which is a nuisance and it's another reason these products don't work in the long term. Personally, I wouldn't be re-applying after 11 days. The fleas will have bred inside the house. You'll find there probably aren't any fleas on your cat. They'll be in the carpet, mats or rugs. Sadly there needs to be only one female flea in the house to produce many eggs. Lots of vacuuming and washing and I always recommend using a natural product like diatomaceous earth both on the cat and the carpets etc.

Dear Purple
Thanks for asking - You are potentially causing your cat's health danger by OVERDOSING on Advantage. The ingredients which kill fleas also has toxic effects on your pet - especially long-term and can be fatal. My cat was temporarily paralyzed by this product and was seriously unwell for weeks with just one dose!

Firstly you need to find out if your cat really has fleas - have you got a flea comb?? Put some warm water into a white bowl, dip the flea comb into it, comb your cat then dip into the water, then wipe the comb on a tissue or paper towel. Keep repeating for a few minutes. You will soon see if your cat has fleas or not. If you do find fleas, then repeat this flea coming procedure 2-3x a day. At the same time, you should also vacuum your house EVERY DAY. Soon you should have no fleas. Diatomaceous earth
Additionally you should also give your cat a bath or if you can't do it yourself, then ask your vet to do it. Vet nurses are highly experienced in bathing cats.
Also please consult your vet for the correct dosage and perhaps other flea control solutions. You should also google "natural remedies for flea control cats".
Hope this information helps.

Nety

Netyasked

Advantage for Cats Purple (Large Cats)

My cat is 10 kgs (22 lbs - and on a diet yes). Can I use the advantage for cats 4-10 kg on him since the one for large 4 kg + didn't work?

SoftCarpet

I think you should ask a vet this question! Or even a vet nurse.
In any case to be on the safe side you should always under dose. Safer than over-dose.
Flea combs are also another option!
And google natural flea options - there are heaps!

Emma R

Emma Rasked

Advantage for Cats Purple (Large Cats)

I have a long hair cat and find itbsifficult to make contact with her skin during applications.
If applied on the fur close to the skin is this good enough ??

Dontgetakitty
Dontgetakitty

Get a flea collar, the expensive one