AIA Australia Income Protection

AIA Australia Income Protection

1.4

brett H.Richmond-Tweed, NSW

Late payments causing financial hardship

AIA have made IP payments late, more than 3 days after they were due.

If I failed to pay premiums on time, I’m pretty sure that AIA would cancel my policies.

But it’s ok for them to pay late, apparently.

I don’t trust them.

I fully expect this review to be blocked by AIA.

Claim DateApril 2019
Jay L.

Jay L.Sydney, NSW

HORRENDOUS DO NOT USE!!!!!!!

DO NOT use this company!! Possible the worse service ever!!! Never call back & they just DONT CARE AT ALL!! **BE WARNED** This is the most unprofessional company I have ever had the misfortune to deal with in my entire Life!!!!

Claim MadeNo
Jen

JenPerth, WA

Positive Experience

I lodged my IP claim after an unexpected illness in March 2020. By June 2020 after my 2 month waiting period plus 1 month for payment in arrears, my claim was finalized. The staff I dealt with by email and phone were so helpful and professional whilst still showing empathy and compassion. Yes it's a stressful process in some ways but the staff made it less so and explained everything they needed at any given time. Thankyou AIA.

Claim Resolution Time1-2 months
Claim DateMarch 2020

Mark F

Mark Fwangaratta

Tardy service

I have income protection, trauma and life insurance through an IFA/ accountant firm and have been paying over $30k for over 10 years now. I recently had an injury requiring 2 operations and was claiming partial income loss. The whole process took almost 4 months and at the end of it despite losing around 30-40% of my income, AIA declined to pay any of it.

When I was beginning the claim process I happened upon this site with some foreboding but was hoping due to the considerable sum I was paying that I wasn't going to be treated as though I had ticked my super box. I have advised my IFA/ accountant that I will be withdrawing my policies henceforth

Mark

Claim DateMarch 2020

Terrible to deal with

I have dealt with AIA through a financial advisor for the last few years. This has been a constantly painful process.
AIA's customer service is disjointed, accusatory, and assumptive that errors are always on the customers side. Simple things like changing payment details lead to threats of withdrawal of your policy.
Fortunately I have never had need to make a claim on my policies as yet but I am constantly left feeling that AIA would not handle them efficiently and without stress for the policy holder. As such I think it is time to seek alternatives.
Truly appalling customer service where they put their customers last.

Claim MadeNo

Unethical. Terrible. Now in financial hardship

All info required inc85 page report from specialist received 8m ago. Been off work for 11m. Paid premiums for years. Same excuses everytime. In SEVERE financial hardship because of AIA

Claim DateNovember 2019
OrKas

OrKasSydney, NSW

No One does Anything

Claim DateDecember 2019
Blake Jonathan H.

Blake Jonathan H.Central Queensland, QLD

Hayley Thomson at AIA is amazing

I had lots of issues mainly due to how complicated of a case I had. However once dealing with hayley Thomson in complaints all my issues were fixed. Wish all their employees were amazing as her

Claim DateDecember 2019
Shiri Stringer

Shiri StringerLongreach

Pathetic Service

Applied for my Income Protection insurance and after 11mths, get told that I wasn’t insured for the relevant period even though it has ALWAYS been apart of my super! AIA are dodgy. Definitely taking this further! Not impressed

Claim DateMarch 2019

Jamie T.

Jamie T.South East Queensland, QLD

Worst insurance ever

Been dealing with these crooks for 9 months after our claim was acknowledged. Now I get a letter in the mail that rest no longer deal with aia. We are waiting for a final response from aia then we will be taking you to court for misrepresentation of your policy. I can see why rest left you guys.

Claim DateJune 2019

What a terrible experience

Claim DateOctober 2019
Charlie

CharlieQueensland

Wish I could give no stars bullsh?t insurance

Going through afca and now a lawyer.. while stuck in bed with spine and brain injury.. nearly committed suicide 4 times thanks to this company.. no duty of care what so ever and just lie after loop hole after lie.. Going after them now I'm disgusted that a company can operate like this

AshtonCentral Highlands and Goldfields, VIC

I am struggling mentally physically and financially.will struggle forever.hoping to get help from AIA

Samantha

SamanthaSouth East Queensland, QLD

Absolute joke for an insurance company

Claim DateDecember 2016

SuelorrWestern Australia

If you are insured with this company you need to change it

I submitted a IP CLAIM in June of last year it took 6 months to get $15.00 per week and told this was because I am on newstart, if my claim had been processed in 60 as they stated I would not have been on centrelink so now I have put complaints in both with my super and AIA. I have had a response from my super stating my payments should be for 2 years they are only going to pay me until March 2020 instead of June 2021 my income protection amount should be 1485.12.

Claim DateJune 2019
Suelorr

I like you cannot make comment

Belinda

BelindaSydney Surrounds, NSW

Terrible service

I submitted all the required documents before the waiting period had to abuse them To get it finalised as had waited 2 months before it was approved. Finally got first payment after a number of calls now 14 days late on next payment. Was told a week ago would be escalated called a week later told the same thing as the last person obviously hadn’t escalated it. Stress of being injured, paying physio, bills, Christmas, kids school fees etc. I’m sure my employer pays them on time to insure me but they can’t push a button to pay me?! Will be taking it further.

Claim Resolution Time1-2 months
Nicole M.

Nicole M.Greater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Terrible

Diagnosed with a brain tumour 6 months ago, have sent through all my documentation months ago and heard nothing back no matter how many follow up emails have been sent. Planning to go to the ombudsman now, seeing how many people have been treated the same. Sick people shouldn't have to beg for services they have paid for.

Peter H.

Peter H.Far West, NSW

Class action suit needed

Garfield P.

Garfield P.Perth, WA

They lie, they abuse you and they don’t care

This is an organisation that is so egotistical, it happily lies to AFCA knowing they face zero consequences (have 1 successful complaint and second one pending) Its claims staff lie ( I have transcripts) and deliberately re traumatise you.

brett H.asked

Income Protection

Have AIA decided to start processing claims correctly, and recognising perfectly legitimate claims?
I wonder why

brett H.asked

Income Protection

Is it legal for a life insurer to refuse to start a claim without the claim form being filled in by the claimant?

I couldn’t read or write owing to my medical condition (ie the sole reason for needing to make a claim). Section 7 of the life Insurance code of Practice covers clients experiencing disability. As well Australia has anti discrimination legislation and the commonwealth disability discrimination act. I would have thought that by refusing to accept a claim in a format I could access, the insurer is in breach of both legislation and their code of conduct.

Robert G

Robert Gasked

I am a registered builder in Perth. I am 64 yers old(23/7/55)Income$100k
Non smoker, no ongoing health issues etc.
30 day waiting period
Please advise of premium

brett H.

Contact an insurance broker or price comparison website for a quote. It won’t be cheap.
Compare prices as well as features.
I know a cabinetmaker around your age. Accountant advised him to give up his IP insurance and put the money into bank for retirement because premiums were too expensive. He did that about 10 years ago because premiums were getting too high. He now has accident only insurance, just because he does some government work (schools and hospital) and has to have that to tender for government jobs. That might be more suitable for your circumstances.

Get an answer from our members and AIA Australia representatives