5185, 5780, 5318, etc...

Pros

• Removes hairs of all lengths

Cons

• Sometimes doesn't pull hair from root

• Motor prone to slowing down

• Causes Irritation Yes (0) · No (1)
Dee
DeeSouth East Queensland, QLD

Better than others

Nothing compares to my dead emoji (that I can't find for sale anymore) but this one will stay after trying other and more expensive epilators on the market. I've been using it for 7 months now and it works well on all length leg hair even fine facial hair! I do get more ingrowing hairs on my leg but to be fair I could probably step up my exfoliating game. It's less painful than other epilators that I've used, not sure if it has anything to do with one of the pulling parts being plastic and not metal. This does the job I need it to do and I'm happy with my purchase thus far.

Purchased in July 2020 at David Jones for $139.00.

Causes IrritationNo
Sam
SamPerth, WA

Works like a shaver not epilator

Don't buy this model. It's like a shaver, doesn't pull hair from the roots. Hair grow back in a few days as stubble. I dont recommend this epilator at all.

BRJ
BRJChisholm 2905, ACT

Braun Epiil 5

Brought this for my daughter for her as a birthday present. Only used this twice was an ineffective product the razor attachment didn't even work. Returned to the manufacturer for money back as part of 60 day trial offer.

Kimpulses
KimpulsesMelbourne

Terrible. Like a shaver, not an epilator

I have used epilators for over 20 years. This does nothing but cut off the hair like a shaver. A few days later my legs are hairy again. Very disappointed.

slows down and stops

This epilator has not had a lot of use, it has slowed down and now it has stopped working altogether. I have cleaned it after every use so l can't see that hair is stopped it from rotating. Very disappointed in this product.

Motor slowly dies after a good start

Excellent hair removal and shaving for the first few months. Motor has slowed down so it can only remove one or two hairs every 5 seconds or so. Would not purchase again.

Xena
XenaToronto

Ok

I paid 120 Canadian and didn't last even one year. I've only used it once a month. Prior to this I had a cheaper brand paid 40 and lasted more than a year!!

Very disappointed Braun

I purchased my first Braun epilator in the late 1990s and it was great, lasting many years. I replaced it about two years ago with the Braun Silk-epil 5. It has slowly deteriorated over the past year: the motor is very slow and sometimes doesn't start at all or the rotating head won't turn; plus it often shaves the hairs rather than cutting them, leaving me with regrowth after a day or so. I'm disappointed that this model had nowhere near the quality apparent in my earlier model.

Rooni
RooniAU

Major Fail

Not happy

I was not happy with the outcome at all. I used it and at first it was really nice but in my second attempt at using the product, my legs were covered in ingrown hairs and now they still look hairy despite having completely gone over them with the product :(

Suzanne BMelbourne

Brilliant!

After years of waxing both at home and professionally, I took the plunge and bought the Silk Epil 5780 at the post Christmas sales (my first ever epilator) and I am *so* glad I did! This little machine is fabulous!!! It removes hair beautifully, doesn't hurt a bit and is surprisingly quiet. I don't have the cord socket problems reported by others - I pushed the end in until it 'clicked' into place (although, perhaps Braun have since rectified the loose cord problem?) I have no hesitation in recommending this product - it does what it claims on the box!

TLRSouth East Queensland, QLD

How to fix the cord issue!

It has been 8 years since I bought a new Epilator - my old one was an Emjoi, and at first I was sorry to see it die.... Not any more! My new Braun is fantastic, heaps faster, more thorough, hurts less, and when I am finished, my skin is not red one tiny bit. At first I had the same cord issues as everyone else, but after Google-ing the problem found out that you simply need to push the cord in really hard - until it clicks! Problem solved!

OK but cord keeps slipping out

I have had mine for about a year and I should have taken it back straight away because the cord literally falls out. I have mine sticky taped on but it still cuts out sometimes because the cord comes out. The epilating works OK but you do have to go over the same areas many times. I've never had another epilator though so I'm not sure if that's normal. But I would recommend epilating in general, just try a different model perhaps. The little light on this one is great and it doesn't hurt after the first few times! I am planning on complaining to Braun about this cord problem so I'll comment back how it goes.

Louisensw

Good, but not quite there yet.

Jacq
Jacq

Very dodgy cord socket will not stay in will not purchase another after many years of a previous model

Louise

To the reviewers who suggested to those with dodgy cords to push the cord in hard until it clicks -THAN YOU!!! It worked - almost gave up though thinking it may not apply to mine as you have to push really hard.

Never had one before.

Wow I love this product. I am 40 and have waxed my bikini and underarms since I was 16. The last few waxings I got burnt, I think my skin has turned sensitive?!? Anyhow I started reviewing the epilators and decided on another type, but living in country town I couldn't get it. Got this one instead.
Love the light on it. Easy to use. My underarms were the easiest!! No pain. Bikini was the same. Happy happy!!!

Poppyasked
Silk-epil 5

I have silk epil 5 wet dry 5-541. Is this model suitable to use on the face please?

TLR

I think that the Silk Epil 9 (wet/dry) comes with a extra cap to do the facial area, if you require that in particular.

Poppy

So are you saying that the Silk Epil 5 is NOT suitable for the face but no 9 is ?

saroh
sarohasked
Silk-epil 5780

hi .. how much time it takes to finish shaving your legs???

Suzanne B

It really depends on how much you need to remove! For me, doing both legs (ankle to just above the knee) on a weekly basis, I'd say about 10-15 minutes.

TLR

Yes, I would agree, it would take me about 10 minutes as well, mine require slightly less frequency though. Everyone is unique!!

Features:

• The Braun Silk-epil 5 is a cordless epilator that can be used wet and dry, letting you shower and groom at the same time.
  • Two different speeds on the device lets you choose the intensity that suits your personal care routine.
  • The epilator has SensoSmart™ technology, giving it an intelligent sensor that helps you apply the right amount of pressure to more effectively remove hair. It has a red light that signals when you’re pushing too hard, so you can more easily get the results you want in one stroke.
  • It’s marketed as being able to pull hairs 4 times shorter than wax, so there’s no need to wait for your hair to grow out before you groom.
  • The device has a high frequency massage system that stimulates the skin, making for a more comfortable session.
  • A pivoting head easily moulds to the contours of your body for better coverage and results.

A point of praise:

• Reviewers found that the epilator removed hairs of all lengths, even very short hairs.

Pain points:

• According to some reviewers, the epilator sometimes doesn’t pull hair from the root, leaving the hairs to grow back like stubble.
  • They also found that the motor wasn’t very durable, and was prone to slowing down even only a short time after buying it.
Compare all 8 Braun Silk-epil 5