Breville Dual Boiler with Smart Grinder BES920 / BCG820

Breville Dual Boiler with Smart Grinder BES920 / BCG820 Questions & Answers

BCG820 (Grinder) and BES920 (Dual Boiler)

79 questions from our users

Don Groom

Don Groomasked

BES920 (Dual Boiler)

Trying to descale the Duo Machine. OK for steps 1 & 2 but at step 3 Begin Descale, I press Manual button (which is not alight if you need to know that), but nothing at all happens - apparently no filling of boilers and no countdown.
Any ideas on how to proceed? I cannot just ignore the Descale message and make a coffee, as the tank has descale solution in it.

Ron

Ronasked

Dual Boiler with Smart Grinder BES920 / BCG820

where do i find batch numbers

Alan G.

Alan G.asked

BES920 (Dual Boiler)

Can’t seem to find serial and batch numbers.

Hezy

Hezyasked

BES920 (Dual Boiler)

Hi. My BES900 Dual Boiler currently has issue with thermostat (overheats). I wonder if anyone can help me with this co i really don’t know what to do. Btw, it’s not under warranty anymore. How much does it cost to fix this, or can i fix it by me self (with your guidance) ? Please help

Barbara Johnson

Barbara Johnsonasked

BES920 (Dual Boiler)

Hi. My 2-yr old dual boiler (which I LOVE) is now randomly heating up past 94C and makes strange boiling noises. Not always but off and on. I turn off, let it cool down and try again later and sometimes works. Can you tell me why this is happening and can it be fixed? Thanks Barbara

chris

chrisasked

BES920 (Dual Boiler)

hello...I have had the bes920 for nearly 4 years...

the filter basket is now sticking to the group head
after back-flushing...i have to turn off machine...after
cooling down the basket drops

Am worried it will happen after extracting coffee when
I need to make more than 1 cup

Any advice to remedy this appreciated

Breville
BrevilleBreville

Hello, It appears you would need to replace the inner shower screen located in the group head area as this part might be damaged and is causing the issue.

Zeljko Bilcicasked

BES920 (Dual Boiler)

anyone know how to fill boilers with watter

craigwreid1

You press the flap on the top of the machine at the front and it opens so you can pour the water in.

Sorry
I was not clear with my question
Reservoir is full but water does not flow to one of boiler

thefuture

thefutureasked

BES920 (Dual Boiler)

My temp is at 93. Now its hitting 110 degres way to hot. Just seeing if its a problem with machine or xan it be reset to stay at 93

Christineasked

BCG820 (Grinder)

Hello, can anyone give me some great reviews about this grinder please? I am using the Sunbeam EM7100 Cafe Series Expresso machine so will require a consistent fine grind. Thanks!

AdrianandShel

Hi Christine, I have this grinder paired with the breville dual boiler and love it. It is easy to use, easy to clean and easy to adjust. Would recommend it.

Christine

Thanks for a positive review, will consider.

Karen L

Karen Lasked

BES920 (Dual Boiler)

New Filter message showed yesterday so I changed the filter but this morning the New Filter message is showing again - anyone have any idea why?

AdrianandShel

I’d just try to reset the machine

craigwreid1

Karen, try the coffeesnobs forum - they may have an answer.

Michael M

Michael Masked

BES920 (Dual Boiler)

When my coffee is made my group head is full of water and so runny any ideas?

AdrianandShel

It sounds like there’s not enough coffee grounds in your basket.

Kathy

Kathyasked

BES920 (Dual Boiler)

This is actually for the BES900. This is a loan machine and I can only sometimes get the right pressure on pressure gauge when making a coffee. They did not give me the proper tamper but I have a stainless steel measuring cup which seems pretty close to the right side. I’m using espresso coffee and I tamp it down as firm as I can get it. Today’s coffee only just got past the pre infusion bar. Help please!!

AdrianandShel

Hi Kathy, I have only had this issue on my old machine also the BES900 when the seal wasn’t fitted correctly. It would never reach the desired pressure and I finally gave up and sent it away - the result was that at manufacture level the seal was faulty. You can try to clean the machine, do a factory reset and play around a little with the grind though - it could be a mix of those factors also. Good luck

Cin
Cin

@AdrianandShel i am having the same problem, im thinking mine is the seal are they easy to replace?

craigwreid1

If it was the seal it is likely it would be leaking out the sides. If you are using pre-ground coffee it is likely to be too course unless you are using a dual wall filter.

Baliblueasked

BES920 (Dual Boiler)

Machine keeps telling us to descale. This is after maybe one or two days after doing a descale. A good many of the questions/answers here are a bit confusing so can anyone give some possible reasons that I might attempt before chasing Breville. After a descale the machine appears to function ok, it is just that the descale message keeps popping up within a very short timeframe. Any ideas?

AdrianandShel

Hey, I had a similar experience, before contacting breville try to do a factory reset on the machine - it is found in the manual but I can’t remember what page sorry, good luck - check back in and let me know if it solves your issue :)

Baliblue

Thanks. Will try it & let you know.

Toby P.
Toby P.

I've had the same issue for over 12 months! I've done the factory reset 100's of times but the descale message is still there. any ideas?

Charles P.

Charles P.asked

Dual Boiler with Smart Grinder BES920 / BCG820

I got Err2 message and the machine wont turn On....any idea why?

Diana Mejia

Diana Mejiaasked

BES920 (Dual Boiler)

Has anyone had the pressure guage malfunction after doing a brew-head clean cycle? We just did our first clean cycle on our BES920, using the supplied cleaning tablet and following the instructions in the owners manual. Now the pressure guage does not seem to work. The machine still seems to work fine...still brews coffee and steams milk, but the pressure guage either doesn't change at all, or will jump to like 5 mbar and stay there, even when the machine is off.

In the questions in this forum I saw a lot of folks having issues with the descaling process, but not with the cleaning...has anyone else experienced anything like this with regards to the pressure guage after a cleaning cycle, and what did you to do to fix it? Do we need to replace the pressure guage?

Chris

Chrisasked

BES920 (Dual Boiler)

My bes920xl blowing more pressure on group head, steam wand and in hot water outlet when I opened it , but less water coming out. And when the temperature reached 93 degrees the lcd never stop blinking. What's wrong with it? Is this fixable?

Laraasked

BES920 (Dual Boiler)

Hi, I bought the bes920 a year ago, love it. Just recently it's taking a lot longer to reach temperature of 94° - just hovers on 92°. Sometimes it hits temp, sometimes I have to turn off then on and shortly thereafter it reaches 94°. Any ideas?

John T
John T

Have you descaled it?

Lara

No. Haven't been promoted to yet

KG productreviews

KG productreviewsasked

BES920 (Dual Boiler)

Hi My dual boiler seems to have carked it! Only extracting coffee at pre-infusion (between 1-3 on the pressure bar)
Been happening for a few weeks now...can this be fixed?

Elk

Elkasked

BES920 (Dual Boiler)

Where’s the batch number?

Adamasked

BES920 (Dual Boiler)

Just after some advice on grind size? I only seem to get a nice extraction when I grind my fresh beans at grind size 20 on the smart grinder if a go finer the extraction is very slow and only pouring about 15-20 ml of coffee with pressure at 10-11 bar and help would be appreciated cheers adam

moose
moose

i've tried 24, 22, 20 & 18...whilst i find no issue with the actual extraction, i found the taste seemed best at 20.
But i do know that going finer than 18 does result in slow extraction as the grinds are too fine & inhibit the flow of water.
But also, over-tamping will also cause the pressure to be high & the extraction slow due to denser grinds in the portafiller which also inhibits flow.
So perhaps in your case you are simply applying too much pressure when you tamp the coffee down?

I hope this helped...

Adam

Hi moose thanks for the tips, I definitely think that I am over tampering,I have found that the campos beans I have been grinding will only extract from the porter filter if I grind the beans at 20, however I brought some fresh beans from my regular cafe and am getting a really good result with grinding on 12-14 with a 30 sec extraction so maybe just different beans require more coarse grinds, only new to the barista game so still learning is this common with different beans?

Get an answer from our members and Breville representatives