Breville Dual Boiler with Smart Grinder BES920 / BCG820

Breville Dual Boiler with Smart Grinder BES920 / BCG820 Questions & Answers

BES920 (Dual Boiler), BCG820 (Grinder)

95 questions from our users

Ken

Kenasked

BES920 (Dual Boiler)

I have a BSS920 about 3 years old and am having a problem with descaling. Have descaled previously with no problems.
Following the manual instructions I empty the boilers and next step is to begin Descale, press 1 cup button to begin to descale and figures 20 (for seconds) show in screen) and press 1cup button. However nothing appears in the screen and nothing happens.
Anyone have a solution?

Reviewer R.

Breville should have a solution

Paul L

Paul Lasked

BES920 (Dual Boiler)

I complete a descale on my BES920 and the Descale Message remains on. Has been occuring for last 18 months or so. I descale every 2 to 3 months but no change

Richo
Richo

Hey Paul, apologies if you've tried this but maybe reset your hardness setting. With machine off, hold down 1 cup button and turn on. reset should appear on display, hit menu to select and then set your hardness.

Steve B.

Steve B.asked

BES920 (Dual Boiler)

Machine only heating to 72° then hovers around that temperature, have checked that the setting is still at 93° , tried unplugging for 60 minutes (as says somewhere in manual) .
Obviously can’t make a coffee at this temperature.

Any ideas please?

See similar complaint below

Steve B.

Steve B.asked

BES920 (Dual Boiler)

Not reaching above 72° ?.

Spout

Spoutasked

BES920 (Dual Boiler)

I cant remove the hex screw so I can change the seal? Any ideas?

Christopher M.
Christopher M.

I am writing in case someone else has this issue. I presume you have fixed it or moved on. I would ask Breville first and get an official response and if that is not helpful I would tap the bottom of the hex tool with a small hammer while turning the hex tool in the hex screw. This is the same principal as an impact wrench. Make sure you are sure that you are turning in the right direction. Be gentle. This should only be tried if you are out of warranty or desperate for a solution.

DonEverest

DonEverestasked

BES920 (Dual Boiler)

I am unable to get to the Advanced menu on the dual boiler. I press 1coffee and power button at same time but nothing happens. Please help?

Yewasked

BES920 (Dual Boiler)

My Breville bes920 steam wand has stopped working, I get 3 bi bi bi sound when I open it. I thought it could be non desalting problem, but unfortunately problem persist after I descale. Anyone know what might be the problem? I live in Malaysia, I bought unit from Melbourne, no local agent to help.

Descaling, not desalting

Ian E.
Ian E.

Hi Yew

I found this thread, there is a link to a possible solution on CoffeeGeeks in the thread.

deborahltch05asked

Dual Boiler with Smart Grinder BES920 / BCG820

Hi just descaling my Breville Dynamatic Duo BEP920 and it says there should be a countdown of 20 (assuming minutes) but can’t see anything is this normal do t know if it’s heating up in the boilers or not
Hope someone can help
Thanks Deb

Worked it out

Lee Rasked

BES920 (Dual Boiler)

I have recently completed a descale on my dual boiler. Reset and all good, however, when I turn in machine, with Water tank half full, i can hear machine filling up with water then reaches temperature and extracts well (9.5 bar) and steams milk, however after I turn it off , water must be leaking from machine as within few hours the drip tray is completely full of water and the water tank is empty - didn’t do this before the descale? Any ideas?

Dariodar
Dariodar

did you close the steam boiler drain plug???

Lee R

Thank you - you are correct, wasn’t quite tight enough - water has stoped leaking

bok k.

bok k.asked

BES920 (Dual Boiler)

I have just purchased BES920 today, and this machine makes a big noise when brewing. Checked YouTube and found same problem someone posted but he just ended up to use it as is. Pp suggested it is the air trapped in the boiler, but my machine made the noise since the first coffee. Anyone knows I can fix this?

DrK2301
DrK2301

Just recieved mine yesterday. Seems it has the same problem too... too noisy. Warming up takes awfully long time. I hv no issue with Delonghi laSpecialista.

chichasked

BES920 (Dual Boiler)

Hi there. I need some help with my BES 920. It has run faultless for the first 12 to 18 months but after that the pre infusion randomly plays up. Sometimes It works normally but most of the time when you press either of shot buttons you just get what I assume is the solenoid valve humming and no pre-infusion until it reaches the 7 seconds before full pressure comes in and pours a less than acceptable shot. After searching for the problem I have replaced the solenoid valve thinking that was the issue but it still does the same thing. I have learnt to get around the problem by dispensing some hot water and then doing a shot which works every time but just a band aid for the problem. Any suggestions as to what the problem could be? Anyone else with the same problem? Looking for a solution. Thanks

Roger M.
Roger M.

Why no answer to this question? It should be fairly easy to diagnose guys!? I have the same problem, so I am guessing it is an issue that you would have faced already!!
???

Paul.J
Paul.J

I had the same problem and fixed it.
I first replaced the solenoid, this stopped the buzzing sound during the pre-infusion period. This was an on-going problem that I had been ignoring. Now quiet but the random pre-infusion continued.
The second problem was the pump wouldn't always work properly during pre-infusion. When this happened you could hear the pump humming quieter than normal then get louder to normal sound as full pressure poured. Like Chich said you could get around this for a while by opening the hot water tap to "wake up" the pump before pouring a shot. Switching off pre-infusion has a similar effect. After ignoring this for a while the problem got steadily worse until it would't pour a shot.
I replaced the main pressure pump and the machine works like new again.
Replacing the pump is a bit more involved than replacing the solenoid. Not difficult, just fiddly.
Take lots of photos, and replace all the O-Rings you can get to whilst the machine is apart as they are almost free to buy and are one of the the biggest causes of trouble in the machine.

chich

Thanks very much Paul.J for your response and explanation. This is very useful info. I had my suspicions about the pump and also recently have been hearing some "sizzling" sounds and water condensation around the steam handle so I suspect the 'O' Rings could need replacing too. Now to get the parts needed and pull the machine apart! :)

natalie s.

natalie s.asked

BES920 (Dual Boiler)

Hi I have a brand new Dynamic Duo but cant get the steam wand to work-I just get 3 beeps. Any suggestions?

Adman

Hi Natalie, mine does that if I get impatient and open the steam valve too soon but it always comes good within a minute or so. The steam boiler has a higher target temp to reach (usually 135 deg. C) and takes a little longer to get there after the group gets to extraction temperature.
If yours isn't coming good and producing steam after a few minutes, I'd be putting the machine in for warranty service as it's likely not getting hot enough. Best of luck.

cheryl.small.39asked

BES920 (Dual Boiler)

How far should the group head be turned. Is beyond the black line too far. It seems to be the only way the gauge shoots up to 9 bars

Adman

Hi Cheryl. Tighten the portafilter in the group as much as is necessary to extract without water escaping past the seal. There is a point at which it is physically impossible to turn the portafilter any further. If you reach that point and water is still bypassing the group seal, it's time to replace the seal.
With correct use, it's pretty hard to damage the seal but leaving the portafilter in the group after you turn off the machine is a great way to make the seal age prematurely. I'm not saying you're doing this, but it is a pretty common mistake.

cheryl.small.39

Thank you so much for your response.

cheryl.small.39asked

BES920 (Dual Boiler)

How far should the grouphead be turned.

Val

Valasked

BES920 (Dual Boiler)

To much coffee was ground into the single head and then over tampered. Now no water will come out of the group head even without the head attached. Timer runs no sound

Greg W.

Greg W.asked

BES920 (Dual Boiler)

I have just done a complete descale, made a new coffee, but the steam wand doesn’t work, the hot water will run, but not the steam wand. The end has been cleaned, even with the steam head removed, there is no steam coming out.
What can I do?
Thanks Greg

Don Groom

Don Groomasked

BES920 (Dual Boiler)

Trying to descale the Duo Machine. OK for steps 1 & 2 but at step 3 Begin Descale, I press Manual button (which is not alight if you need to know that), but nothing at all happens - apparently no filling of boilers and no countdown.
Any ideas on how to proceed? I cannot just ignore the Descale message and make a coffee, as the tank has descale solution in it.

Fired Up

Check manual then contact company if that does not help

Hooley
Hooley

use the 1 cup button (which is alight), rather than the manual button. It should work this way.

Ron

Ronasked

Dual Boiler with Smart Grinder BES920 / BCG820

where do i find batch numbers

Alan G.

Alan G.asked

BES920 (Dual Boiler)

Can’t seem to find serial and batch numbers.

Fired Up

Found it via basic web search

Hezy

Hezyasked

BES920 (Dual Boiler)

Hi. My BES900 Dual Boiler currently has issue with thermostat (overheats). I wonder if anyone can help me with this co i really don’t know what to do. Btw, it’s not under warranty anymore. How much does it cost to fix this, or can i fix it by me self (with your guidance) ? Please help

Alan Clay
Alan Clay

if you can get into advancd menu, you can adjust the boiler temperature or reset the system to default it's in the manual, if this doesn't work, get it serviced maybe around $100.00

Get it serviced.

Get an answer from our members and Breville representatives

Breville Dual Boiler with Smart Grinder BES920 / BCG820