2Breville Handy Hot Plate BHP150 / BHP250

33% · 47 · 58%

Quick heating time
Compact
Difficult to control temperature
Hard to do high-heat cooking
Control easily bumped to "on" position

Christine S.
Christine S.Darwin, NT

over 1 year with this gem

Purchased end of 2019 as the hotplate broke and I was meant to be moving out of my parents grannyflat - didn't bother buying and installing a new one. It has since cooked for two people minimum 3 times a week that whole time. I saw so many bad reviews about this product but people complaining need to remember its a $100 hotplate that just plugs into a power socket, it obviously isn't going to be the same as a hard wired one. It does boil a pot of water, albeit slower than your normal hot plate, but it's definitely paid off in my mind.
as a rule I just turn it off at the power outlet to avoid accidentally leaving it on. and as for the negative 'steak' comment, if you like a good steak I would be cooking it on the BBQ not in pan anyway. Show details
Rebecca2 posts

Safer alternative is Award HP2252

We have a Breville single hotplate at my work just for the teapot to sit on, there's definitely a safety issue with the temperature knob getting easily knocked up to high. I did lots of looking around to find a double hotplate for my apartment and bought an Award HP2252. If you go to the Award site you can look up which retailers stock it (in NZ). I had a small electrical shop order one in for me, $110NZD. It's not usually in any of the bigger chains, more likely in specialty kitchen shops. I'm happy with it. With a solid top it takes longer to heat up and cool down than a kitchen stovetop, but I just set it on low to begin with and be patient while it heats up.

tanamiSouth East Queensland, QLD16 posts
  Verified BHP250

Don't get electrocuted

Bought this over two years ago. Only used it occasionally in our granny flat. Be careful when cleaning or you rub off the dial's diagram. The on/off dial does not have a resistance when you turn it on/off. The plates rust easily, Bunnings sell a black paste you bake on. Worked fine for the first 18 months but then it developed a crack on the large plate, it worked for another six months and then it kept on blowing the fuse.

shugashack
shugashackThirroul4 posts

Not hot!

I've had this about a year. It is not hot - can't bring water to a boil. At best it is a warmer - keeps things already cooked warm but does not really cook. I was hoping for a temporary cook top during reno and an portable burner.

I agree with the safety issue - must be turned off at the ppt at all times as the knobs don't fully turn off and can easily be turned on.

It draws a lot of power without real heat - blows the circuit if anything else is on.

I would buy something decent if it were available - I could not find anything else. Sad

Sam_P
Sam_PNorthland NZ3 posts
  Verified BHP250
DISGRUNTLED PURCHASER
DISGRUNTLED PURCHASER11 posts
  BHP250

does not stay on to cook

bought a bhp250 and first and every time we use it it hests up.and cooks ok until it reaches the setting then goes off and stsys off it eventually comes back on for a minute or so but doed not cook any more waste of money dont go near these cookers

Breville
Breville   DM

Hi Disgruntled - if you have the receipt please return to place of purchase, however if you require assistance with return please contact customer service on 1300 139 798. Thanks, the Breville team

Alan Liefting
Alan LieftingChristchurch, New Zealand9 posts
  BHP250

Nice but there is a safety issue

The Breville BHP250 dual hotplate is a smart looking unit. One drawback with it is that the control knobs are very easily bumped to an on position. This is a safety and energy conservation issue. The control knobs have no indent for the off position so the lightest touch can turn the hotplates on. This issue would be easily rectified by having an indent for the off position of sufficient depth to prevent the knobs from being knocked to an on position.

Breville
Breville   DM

Hi Alan - thanks for your comments, the design team appreciate feedback. Thanks, the Breville team

Alicia
AliciaSydney Surrounds, NSW4 posts
Pat
Pat11 posts
Timeless Traveler
Timeless TravelerMetropolitan Adelaide, SA26 posts

Not sure about this one - Ok Now

Not sure if this was a bad batch but I bought this a few weeks ago have used it a little but what it does is heats up after reaches high heat then the light goes out and turns off for about a minute then back on again not sure if it has a thermostat or something but it just doesn't stay on , so I don't like this one.

Ok I sent this one back and they replaced it within a few weeks so far this new one seems be working not turning off and back on , very happy 19/9/14

It turns off then back on.

bookworm9992001
bookworm9992001Perth, WA16 posts

A great product

I recently bought a Breville BHP150 Portable Electric Hot Plate Cooktop

when my new stove broke.I needed something portable to tide me over whilst my cooktop was in the process of being replaced.I bought it on sale for $48.

It is quick to heat,very compact,simple to use & just plugs into a socket.Just what I needed.

Granted,it takes a while to figure which heat setting is ideal & I fiddle a bit with the setting,sometimes having to adjust a few times because it gets too hot or too cold.
inexpensive;quick to heat;good for an emergency

OnlineShopper888
OnlineShopper888AU3 posts
  BHP250

simple, compact, easy to use

Bought this double hot plate few months ago and I'm very happy with it.

It's very simple to use, compact and heats up quickly and has 8 heat settings.

It's perfect for travelling with the campervan as it plugs in to a power point and is very portable.

It's also great value for money.
compact and heats up quickly and has 8 heat settings.

Hlengiwe N.
Hlengiwe N. · Handy Hot Plate BHP150 / BHP250

I need the breville hot plate 250 please where can I get it?

Jince B. · Handy Hot Plate BHP150 / BHP250

I bought it last year not even 1 year it lasted very bad experience

tanami

Mine triggered the fuse. One of the hotplates showed a small crack on the surface and I guess a wire must be touching the housing. Very unsafe product.

Jince B.

Thought it would last more as it says in the brand. Even I had the same experience.

Rebecca

I bought an Award double hot plate 14 months ago, gets daily use, still goes well

Dan Tek
Dan Tek · Handy Hot Plate BHP150 / BHP250

Hi

I also have this breville bhp 250 and is always making some kind of clicking like noises every time i use it from start till finish. Just wondering whether this is normal or not?

Features:

• The Breville Handy Hot Plate BHP150 is a single plate induction cooktop with a power output of 1600W.
  • It has 8 adjustable temperature settings that can be adjusted at any point while you cook, helping you prepare food with ease.
  • A heating indicator light that illuminates when the plate is preheating and cooking helps you maintain your desired temperature.
  • Overheat protection provides extra safety that automatically switches off the heating element in the cooker to prevent it from getting too hot and damaging the appliance.
  • The cooktop has a 19cm die cast iron cooking plate that helps it retain heat and stay in optimal condition.
  • To ensure stable cooking, the cooker has non-slip feet that keep it steady.
  • A brushed stainless steel finish that makes for a durable, easy to clean design.

What did reviewers have to say about this product?

Opinions were divided on the Breville Handy Hot Plate BHP150 and (the now discontinued) BHP250. Points of praise included how compact the cooker was, and how quick it was to heat up.

Among the negative feedback, a common pain point was that the temperature of the cooker was difficult to control, and that figuring out the ideal heat setting tended to be a bit of a guessing game.

While reviewers said that the unit was efficient for low-heat cooking and food warming, a point of criticism was that the cooker was often insufficient for high-heat cooking, such as for searing meat, making stir fries, or boiling water.

Another point of pain among reviewers was that the on/off dial was too easily adjusted, and that the control easily bumped to the “on” position as it lacked adequate resistance. Reviewers thought that this was a safety issue, with one reviewer stating that they needed to turn the appliance off at the socket for peace of mind.

Compare all Breville Handy Hot Plate BHP150 / BHP250 listings