VerifiedMPNs:409011, 7715, BKE425 and BKE425BSS

4.3
3.3

Ben
BenHobart, TAS6 posts

Works okay, with one stinging problem

It does what a kettle is supposed to do, with one notable design flaw. The design of the lid causes condensed, extremely hot water, to trickle out and down the handle and onto your hand if you pop it open shortly after boiling. For example, if you boil the kettle, use all the water in it, then pop it to refill the kettle, you will get near boiling water on your hand. This can be avoided if you remember to tip the kettle forward far enough, but I've never encountered this issue on any other kettle I've used. It's an irritating thing to have to remember, and very inconvenient if you forget (which you probably will). Show details
Lesley
Lesley

Shame it does not have a light to indicate it is on

I like the weight and happy with the product , only problem is it does not show a light when on!
moriarty
moriarty9 posts

Water Window Leaks

Had two of these and both leaked around the water window after about 2yrs

As a kettle it works well but dont expect too much from this cheapy

The plastic clip that holds the water level window cracks - it then fails to compress the window o-ring and leaks. This is a design fault that Breville's been too lazy to fix - theres dozens of reports of this.

They seem to be less concerned about electrical hazards in your kitchen than you.

Viv
Viv6 posts

Reliable and effective

Have had it for over 3 years without any issues. Is not the best looking but very simple, reliable and worth the money spent. Physically quite sturdy as well so defintely long lasting Show details
Kerrie
Kerrie

Terrible

It Looks good but that's about it ! It's very heavy even when empty. It's also ackward to pick up and hurts even a slight arthritic hand and the slow opening lid is a pain when trying to fill it up
Dmatic
DmaticSydney, NSW7 posts

Everything you need from a kettle

I bought this to replace my Sunbeam that had an element in it. I love that this Breville doesn't! Not only is it an attractive kettle for your kitchen, it is easy to keep clean (stainless steel). The pop up lid is convenient to allow the top to open to avoid getting burnt (as I did on my previous one)

Steve
SteveNSW, 2019117 posts

John63
John63Greater Melbourne (Outer), VIC8 posts

Bad kettle

Kettle lasted 2 years and has since died. Don't waste your money on expensive kettles like this one!! Have since bought a cheap one from K Mart which boils the water just as efficiently. Will never buy another expensive kettle to simply boil water, better off saving my money on something else.

Atom Ant
Atom AntWellington5 posts

Good but noisy

This is a good kettle but very noisy as it heats up and boils. We have a plastic version of the brand at work and it seems to be quieter perhaps because it is plastic rather than steel? We've noticed it seems to boil for a long time before switching off as well. However, it is well made, looks good and is easy to use and clean. It is cordless and the water gauge on the side lets you know how much is in the jug without having to open the lid.

Jess
JessSydney6 posts

Good Kettle

I mean, how much can you say about a kettle? It boils quick, it's relatively quiet, i like silver appliances haha

I got it for $48 which I guess is reasonable price. It's kinda crazy how such a basic appliance can be so expensive.

I was looking for a basic model that would boil water, and last a long time. I don't need something that can boil to 92.6 degrees exactly. I was debating between a reputable brand and "quality" kettle at the $50 range, or just getting a basic kmart/target one for $20. Since I went for the $50, i'm hoping it lasts > 5 years. So far so good.

TBunny
TBunnyMelbourne9 posts

i like it

i decided to go with this kettle when getting a new kettle and i like it. i like how the top opens up slowly and quietly instead of fast and loud like some other kettles. it also heats up boiling water quite quickly. is also affordable and easy to clean.

Lauren
Lauren7 posts

BKE430 soft touch kettle

This kettle has been such a disappointment. We try to buy to minimise waste, aiming for long use of our things.

Purchased a little over 3 years ago. First the lid stopped opening, we could deal with that, by filling through the spout. The light stopped working, OK, unnecessary function. Would sometimes over boil and not switch off. So we kept an eye on it. Then this became more frequent culminating in on/off lever not working at all. Not repairable. And not expected from a not-cheap, name-brand appliance. More land-fill despite being less than 4 years old and used intermittently.

RobynF
RobynFSA, 52137 posts

Great kettle

Kettle pours well, with no drips. Light to handle. Measurement window is easy to read. Boils quickly. Brushed metal finish is easy to clean. It is reasonably loud if you're standing right next to it, but to be honest I don't really notice it. Liked it so much that I bought another one for my elderly mother who needed one which was light and didn't drip when pouring.

Good2know
Good2knowPerth39 posts

Malfunctioned

Regrettably like many of the folks here, this kettle malfunctioned on us too not too long after purchase. It didn’t shut off when it boiled. Luckily we are around to notice it and manually shut it off before it potentially damages our circuit board. We will be considering other brands for reliability in the future.

Diana
Diana

Breville
Breville   DM

Hi Diana - your comments will be forwarded to customer service and the design team. Thanks, the Breville team

Kat
Kat

I bought the model BKE425 2.5 years ago and recently noticed a small amount of water was under the kettle if I filled it above 1.5 litres. I also noticed what appeared to be calcification around the plastic measurement panel on one side. I went to wipe it off (gently) and the plastic gave way and there is now a hole in the panel (the panel on the other side of the kettle is in perfect condition). I'm taking it back under warranty tomorrow, but wondered if anyone else has reported this fault?

JayJay
JayJay
Annie G
Annie G

The front of the lid has a black cover part KE7270-10-05 which has snapped off probably due to the vibration when the water boils. It now appears that the tips of 2 electrodes which were under the cover have been exposed but the kettle continues to operate normally and I cannot find any reference on the Breville website to know whether this is a safety issue or not. Any help?

2017april
2017april
ullas
ullas

After a month of use, power switch trips on turning on my Breville Kettle? I've been keeping it dry at the bottom & maintaining the water level above the minimum marker. What can be the issue?

Richard
Richard

I have none of these issues. If it keeps tripping the fuse and it is the only appliance that does this in this plug then I would suggest you try it in another outlet and if it does it there then I would return it as it must be faulty.

CategoryElectric Kettles