Canon EOS R

See the Best Mirrorless Cameras in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Great Image Quality.

I have been waiting for 4 years for a replacement for my Canon EOS 7D mkll DSLR. As there didn't seem to be a direct replacement on the horizon, I decided to jump to Canon's EOS R 'Mirrorless Full Frame' camera. The EOS R is not a direct replacement for the 7D mkll, which is a fast action camera (with an APSC 1.6X crop sensor). The 7D mkll can shoot at 10 fps (frames per second) with auto focus, whereas the EOS R can only shoot at 5 fps with AF. As I like to capture wildlife images, especially Birds in Flight, I knew that I would have to adjust the way that I use the camera. This means less 'Spray & Pray' shooting & more careful timing of shutter release! At this time (Aug 2019), Canon has announced new firmware updates for the EOS R, which will improve the responsiveness, speed & accuracy of the focussing system. This will make it easier to capture fast moving subjects.

Coming from the 7D mkll, I immediately noticed an improvement in detail and image quality. This is easily visible in AF accuracy, detail (30 mpx EOS R vs 20 mpx 7D mkll), less image noise & better colour tones & saturation. The extra resolution is very handy when cropping images during image editing (I use Photoshop CS software).

I have not been happy with the quality of the EVFs (Electronic Viewfinders) in past cameras. The EVF in the EOS R offers a big improvement in the clarity it offers. It is easy to judge when the subject is in focus. A major advantage is that the image you see actually shows the exposure of the image that you will capture. This makes it easier to capture the exposure the way you want it, using exposure compensation etc. This means less exposure corrections are needed in image editing, resulting in time saving & better ultimate image quality.

The EOS R is very customisable, with just about all buttons & dials able to be assigned to your tastes/needs. This can be a bit daunting, at first, though once set up to your liking makes the camera easy to operate. The touch screen is fabulous allowing quick selection of focussing point/s & allows very quick adjustment of camera settings/menus.

Overall, I am happy with the EOS R & look forward to new features/ performance improvements via Canon's firmware updates.

Purchased in June 2019 at Harvey Norman Electronics Physical Store.

A great all-rounder camera

Other reviews have mixed emotions on this camera. As a Canon shooter, I have found the upgrade easy and offering me many improved features and capabilities than my older camera.
Low light capabilities are quite amazing, with the newer Digic 8 processor it has made the camera a wonder in low light. I am still getting used to the interface and minimal buttons, coming from a full-frame DSLR system to this mirrorless system it is very digital (ironic hey?!).
The screen control of your focus point is awesome and so fast to move about the frame.
Autofocus is super fast, there are thousands of points and it works really well once you have updated the firmware. One noticeable issue I found was the focus would lag when I was shooting a band and the lights were changing quickly. It was quite annoying that the focus would not stay on one point, it would hunt quite a lot and I was missing key images because of the fast autofocus and it using the sensor to focus, as opposed to what I am used to with optical AF. I found this was the only time I was not in control.
Overall a great camera and for me a step in the right direction for the future of these cameras all being mirrorless and the ever coming end of the DSLR.

Hi, looking to upgrade from the 70D and not sure which way to go,would mirrorless be better than another dslr? Also,does this one have an integrated flash? Thanks
Hi Dani, It depends on the type of photography that you do & also your budget. Currently the Canon mirrorless cameras are expensive, especially the dedicated lenses (RF mount) compared to the EF & EFS mount lenses that you currently use. The prices will slowly reduce as more people buy into the mirrorless system. Without knowing your photography subjects, I would suggest that (if you are happy with your 70D) perhaps the new EOS 90D DSLR might be the best option. It will do everything better than the 70D does. It has higher resolution (32 mpx), less noise at high iso, faster continuous shooting & can use all of your existing lenses without the need for an adaptor. I would suggest that you visit a camera shop & have a play with the 90D & EOS R or RP & see which one you like. See whether you are happy with the viewfinders, Optical vs Electronic, & the general 'feel' of how well the camera fits in your hand & the button/dial layout. The EOS R doesn't have a built in flash, the 90D does have a built in flash. Hope that this helps. KevThank you and yes it does help,I was leaning toward mirrorless but I don’t really want to have to add the flash,will have a look at the 90D...someone else suggested the 6D as well...Bear in mind that the 70D & 90D are crop cameras while the EOS R & 6D are full frame cameras. I always found the crop sensor to be an advantage for wildlife & macro, due to the 1.6x crop factor (multiplies focal length & increases magnification & apparent Depth of Field). Full frame is better for portraiture where it is easier to 'isolate' a subject, as when taking portraits with wide apertures. Horses for courses …. Of course, it doesn't mean that you can't do any type of photography with either sensor size. You just have to decide which suits you better.

CategoryMirrorless Cameras