Carhood

Carhood

See the Best Car Hire in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

My car was stolen while rented out. 10 months later they still owe me $3.5k

I left my car with Carhood while I was travelling overseas. During the trip they informed me my car had been stolen while being rented out.
It's been a nightmare to get hold of them. They still owe me their insurance excess ($3000) and my owner earnings ($500).
Terrible customer service, case manager changed over this period of time, CEO made an excuse statement promising payments would resume within 4 to 6 weeks. It's been more than 2 months since this statement.
They don't take phone requests anymore, you get redirected to a live chat on their website. But the chat is not "live anymore". It's just a gateway to a generic email, with a not followed-up promise to get back to me within 2 business days.

Avoid at all cost.

Got stung $360 for a minor repair was only picked up a one day after I returned the car

On the last and final occasion I used carhood, my (fully insured) vehicle was checked for damage on return and ok'd. A day later I was informed there was a mark (see the image they send me: it looks like a stone chip) on the door and they were withholding my $500 deposit.
This what the insurance company wrote to me:

"We have been advised by Carhood Brisbane that the vehicle you recently returned from rent sustained new damage during your rental period. The damage is located on the driver's door. Please see attached photo.
"For this reason we will be retaining the bond and organising repairs to the damaged panel. In the event that the quote along with associated fees is more than the bond, we will be requesting further funds to cover the cost. If, after repairs and associated fees there is any remaining excess we will refund back to the card on file. We can also send through documentation for insurance purposes once the repair is completed.

This my reply (in part) :
"One of your employees checked out the car while I was there and told me I was ok to go. She will be able to confirm this, I am sure, but my friend who picked me up also witnessed this exchange.
"Obviously this alleged damage should have been pointed out to me while I was there with you at Carhood.
"The damage you allege seems to be in a very obvious position, one that would have been picked up by the most cursory of inspections.
"By making this accusation the day after I returned the car, you must realise you have put me in an impossible position."

I have no complaint about the carhood customer service. The people I met were very nice, but beware the insurance trap. I took out full insurance and I lost $360 of my $500 deposit for the repair of this damage in a obvious spot, not picked up at the time of return and about which I was informed A DAY AFTER I returned the car
I love the idea of hiring private cars that would otherwise be standing in a garage on on the street ... but I won't risk using this service again. I have returned to using the more regular hire companies, like East Coast, which stationed outside the airports. Their rates are competitive with this company, their cars are new, and I certainly feel I know where I stand on insurance.

Vehicle TypeKia Cerato
Received Booked Vehicle Yes

Beware - They do not pay the vehicle owner!!!

They owe me a lot of money. Despite follow-up they have not paid me at all for the last 3 times they rented my car out. On top I got saddled with toll fees and an Uber fare for pickup which they said they would refund. It's frustrating to read good reviews from renters who are using cars from people like me without Carhood paying for them!!

It was ok

Need better face to face customer service. 1 head light was out and I was told to fix it myself because they didn’t have the time which I did not have the time to do hence why I hired a car in the first place. Upon returning the car the depot was not even made aware of me contacting them to report the faulty headlight.

Vehicle TypeVolvo XC60
Received Booked Vehicle No, I received a worse vehicle

Smooth process and great staff

Price got us through the door but the excellent staff made it a pleasure from airport shuttle to car collection. No shuttle available on Sunday afternoon the only issue. Drop off point in industrial area could be a concern for single people outside normal hours.

Vehicle TypeMini Clubman

A Good Result

Everything was handled professionally and courteously by competent staff. The car provided was ideal for the city travel and was comfortable for travel for long periods. The service will be used again.

Fantastic car rental

Smooth and stress free operation and friendly staff. Will be using your company again. Vehicle in great condition and my bond refunded the next day. Thanks again Carhood for everything.

Received Booked Vehicle Yes

Prompt, friendly and professional service from Mark and Angela and a quick refund of our rental deposit. Easy pick-up and drop-off at the airport - probably quicker (and certainly cheaper) than waiting in line at the big airport car rental places. Great experience.

Vehicle TypeSuzuki Swift
Received Booked Vehicle Yes

They owe me lots of money.

I give them one star because in the past they have been okay. BUT as somebody who rents out a car with them they owe me alot of money and don't respond to my emails. I am considering taking them to VCAT.

Was all good until I got the Toll Bill

Everything leadinh up to the hire, and during the hire was great. Was told I'd be billed for tolls 4-6 weeks later, was told should be between $5-$10, got billed 4 times to a total of $75.

Have tried emailing, website chat, calling, and had no result, no answer from email and the chat guy said they'll look into it.

Vehicle TypeMitsubishi ASX

Great customer service

Everything went smoothly from start to finish
Great guys in Melbourne office
Car was great
Prompt pick up would definitely use again
Had a mix up with car with GPS but sorted it out no problem

Vehicle TypeToyota Prius
Received Booked Vehicle Yes

The car was good, but I was required to make a huge deposit,

Everything went good. They were respectful, all the payments were successfully processed, vehicle good, only 2 things that would discourage me for next time: 4k on bond (that is too much) and no lift back.

Vehicle TypeHolden Astra

Easy and multiple efficient

Pick up at airport and car pick up smooth and efficient. Customer service representative great and knowledgeable. Vehicle upgrade more than expected and more than met our needs and nicely cleaned.

Received Booked Vehicle No, I received a better vehicle

Excellent service and my first choice for car rental from now on

Vehicle was great. Clean and well maintained. Staff were extremely helpful with my late arrival and made it really simple for me to return the car. Looking forward to next visit

Vehicle TypeKia Sorento

Great Team and reliable service

Mark, Angela and the team went out of their way to make sure all went well with my rental. I would not hesitate in renting from Carhood again. Recommended for a very reasonably priced car rental and friendly service.

Received Booked Vehicle Yes

Great customer service. Will use them again

The team in Sydney were great to deal with and the process was easy. I received my bond back quickly. We will use again and I have recommended them to friends and family

Vehicle TypeVolkswagen Golf
Received Booked Vehicle Yes
Hi, Suz. Thanks for the awesome feedback! We hope to see you again soon :) Cheers!

Great concept - poor business model

I had 2 cars with CarHood. Overall, the relationship was good. In Apri and June 2018, 2 cars were written off, plus I had 3 fines. The first write off went smoothly and I received the insurance payout within 6 weeks. I had trouble getting insurance money for the second car. CarHood continually made excuses as to why they could not pay me my incurance payout even though the insurance company had paid CarHood the claim money of $13,750.
I assume CarHood were using my insurance money to support their cash flow needs. I did eventually receive my insurance money about 5 months later. As to traffic fines, I had to go to the Magistrates Court to get an extension of time to nominate the driver, who was also the same person to write off the second car. The solicitor charged $880 to represent me in the Magistrates Court.

Received Booked Vehicle Yes

Everything perfect except for not being paid

Im disappointed that my payment that was due at the end of May 2019 (for a car let out in April 2019) is yet to be paid out. I know their point of having issues with funding, but it's not fair to be told that afterwards. In all fairness the experience in handing the car to them, getting it back in an immaculate state and communications, were all great. There was even a speeding fine that was simple to nominate Carhood and not worry about. If anything I am appreciative of how well it works and how courteous the staff at Melbourne Airport were. But at the end of the day I didn't get paid yet for the use of my car and that is upsetting.

Vehicle TypeHyundai Accent

worst suffering

simply I gave my car to Carhood in April 2018 and got back after 42 days Still trying to get my payment of 250 AUD,more than 1 year. on their website there is fake rating allways check google or ask anyone who gave car to them

Vehicle TypeToyota Yaris XP90.II

Value for money, recommended if you want a budget rental.

Customer service is great.
Handled well for the bond and other payment.
Vehicle changed but got an email notification.
I use the vehicle for site seeing, it quite meet my needs.

Vehicle TypeToyota RAV4
Received Booked Vehicle Yes
Hi, Nathan. Thank you for your review. We appreciate the 4 stars. See again soon. :) Regards, Carhood Team

Hello, my application at NCAT Tribunal was dismissed because: The claim is not a "consumer claim" under Part 6A of the Fair Trading Act.. The carhood member didn't show up, they sent an email that due to illness they cannot show up and willing to have a phone conversation. It was Nick Johnson - acting SEO of the con company. It was a useless conversation without outcome, he sent an email afterwords to calm down the matter. I re-sent information about their debt once again to him. He didn't respond to it. Probably, because NCAT Tribunal sent information to both parties that the application was dismissed. This is how startup struggling these days. Poor poor startup. Many things happened during the Tribunal and I am about to report about them to NSW Ombudsman.

This is not a question, but an update. I received a call again from FairTrading. Carhood didn't respond them within 5 business days, they help me to prepare all documents for Tribunal. I was also told that they send information to Compliance authority to deal with them as well.
https://www.proactiveinvestors.com.au/companies/news/203432/carhood-appoints-new-ceo-with-plans-to-ipo-in-2019-203432.htmlGuys, I am going to reach top people in Carhood from LinkedIn and bring this matter to their attention. If you have this opportunity as well, do this! All the best to us.

Hello all people who is still not paid by Carhood. I received a legal advise today. The first step is to lodge a complaint to Fair Trading. If they don't help you, then escalate issue to NCAT and only after you can go to court. I already lodged a complaint to Fair Trading. They advise us over the phone that this kind of case should be resolved within 30 days. They owe us a lot of money and also we have car damages after the renting. If Fair Trading receives a lot of complaints from us, they will definitely close this dodgy business. Attach all proofs, emails, statements etc to your case.
A little bit of my story. I rented out my car for more than 10 months. I received a penalty notice in the very beginning. Because I was outside of Australia, I didn't know about this until I came back. Guess what? Penalty notice -> Overdue penalty notice -> Enforcement Order -> Car and License Arrest -> Bank account arrest. I found out this when I came back to Australia. NSW Services website didn't tell me a word that I have any overdue fines despite the fact that I checked it regularly. It is a huge pain to resolve this issue for me now. Carhood didn't respond to my emails regarding annulment application fee that I already paid to NSW Revenue.Complaint can be lodged here: https://www.cas.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/icmspublicweb/forms/GeneralForm.htmlHi Stanislav Can you please help me how to file case against them? Or can you add me in your case?