Commonwealth Bank Travel Money Card

Commonwealth Bank Travel Money Card

See the Best Travel Money Cards in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Michael H.

Michael H.Perth, WA

Absolute Theft

First of all i didnt want this card they CBA pushed it on me, said it would save me money that was a total lie the currency rate the give they is crap so make money there and then if tranfer the money back to its original currency they rip you off 20C in the dollar, i was not told of any of this when they pushed the card on me absolute thieves.

CurrencyAUD

G.L

G.LBrisbane

Virtually useless to a couple!

Went to a branch who said it was possible for my wife and I to get cards and link them. We have a joint account, joint home loan and joint credit card but in fact we cannot get a joint travel money card or even two seperate ones that are linked. Now I have to either give my wife cash or be with her 24/7 as the pin option on the card doesn't work 99% of the time and requires a signature! All in all pretty much useless to us!

CurrencyEUR, GBP, NZD, SGD and USD

Zac G.

Zac G.Sydney, NSW

Ripp off

Ripp off. I used this card when I went to the US. Easily paid $500 or more than I needed to.

Dont waste your time. Its easy to open a bank account once you land. Then, transfer money using TransferWise. That the best app with cheapest rates and no hidden fees Ive found.

CurrencyUSD
Not impressed

Not impressedPerth, WA

Misleading and deceptive

CurrencyTHB

Reyes

ReyesMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Useless

Couldn't even use it at a large department store and for petrol. Just kept getting declined. Useless in America. Ended up having to withdraw cash and got charged almost USD$10 in fees at the ATM. Not for emergencies... it will likely get declined.

CurrencyCAD and USD

Thathya Venu A.

Thathya Venu A.Sydney, NSW

Not worth it if you are travelling to Vietnam or Cambodia !

Over a 2-week holiday covering Vietnam and Cambodia we paid about a total 23 USD (about 35 AUD) of bank fees for 4 withdrawals @ ATMs. Expect to pay about 50,000 dong per cash withdrawal in Vietnam in addition to the excess fees the local bank will be charging (depends on your transaction). In Cambodia cash withdrawal fees were about USD 2.50 and the local bank will keep another USD 5.00. In Vietnam, when the card was used in stores an additional 3% tax (VAT) was charged. It felt like daylight robbery. The only positive about the card was the relative ease in which you could use the CBA App to load money in different currencies with a WIFI connection.
Next time I travel to these countries I will be taking cash and exchanging there.

Unreliable

I travelled to Chile. I needed to pay the hotel but it didn't work. I tried then in restaurants, shops, supermarkets, all at different cities, but nothing.
I called customer service and the only solution was to issue new cards which would arrive by the time I was back from my trip.
I strongly recommend not to rely on this card, choose a different one or take cash.

Wendy

WendyGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Cancelled travel card rip off

My travel card expired and the money which was left on the card went to unclaimed money. I don't understand why the bank would not have tried to transfer it to the account it was linked to or contact me to advise me. Shows they don't care about their customers. Unable to access how much was in the account. Called customer service who had a don't care attitude and advised I need to go into a bank to make a claim through unclaimed moneys. Difficult when working full time but went to my local branch to lodge a claim. No idea why the bank has to make this so difficult but they have lost me as a customer. I will find another bank who does not do this and cares about their customer.

CurrencyUSD

Monet

MonetGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Dud card

We used this card in USA gets rejected often and works sometime worst was checking in to American Airlines wouldn't work at all ever!! Embarrassing and frustrating tried to contact Com Bank ha,ha good luck with that might as well be on Mars

Competitive Exchange Rate Yes
Viva Espana

Viva EspanaSurfers Paradise QLD. 4217

NO GOOD- ABSOLUTE RIPP-OFF

CurrencyEUR

Holly

HollySydney, NSW

Lost $750 before I even went overseas, given misleading information about this card

I transferred $8200 to Euros from AUD and received $5000 which seemed about right. It wasn't until I decided i wanted my money back in AUD that I lost just over $750 in fees and conversion rates. Essentially if you don't spend all your money overseas, you loose it! Massive rip off and was told I could convert easily and conveniently back to AUD, no mention of the massive fees associated with this type of transaction. Lucky I didn't discover this overseas, will be cancelling the card immediately after trying to recoup my money.

CurrencyAUD, EUR and GBP

PAUL

PAULHobart

The bank stole my money

My card expired whist I was travelling I could not get a replacement sent to Europe so stuck with no money , then my money just vanished 2 months ago and I had to go to the back to reclaim what was mine over 6000 dollars do not get this card theives

Inflexible and high fees

Have USD loaded on the card. About to travel overseas and wanted to withdraw USD to have some cash on hand. Went to George and Market St Sydney foreign currency deal in branch to be told you can’t withdraw USD in Australia. Card can only be used overseas to withdraw cash. Useless.
Have also travelled with it to a few countries now to be slugged fees higher than stated on its website!! Time to look for a better card!!

No confidence in combank

Was charged 11 1/2 months later for an overseas transaction, but my concern is how do you know it hasn’t already been deducted from your money card? ! Filed a dispute with combank but did not hear anything from them. Very poor customer service!

This card is daylight robbery. DO NOT USE.

During the December / January period the card was 'fee-free'. We put in just NZD500 for a one week trip to NZ. That translated to AUD497. We didn't use any of the money, so we closed the card - and got AUD452 back. So in just one week, the Bank ripped AUD45 - that's 10% from our pocket in Bank-generated 'exchange rate difference'. All this time the rate was steady at 0.95. If we'd put in say NZD50,000, we'd have lost AUD10,000 in just one week.
Obviously, outside of this 'fee-free' period, they rip out even more.
It's THEFT, pure and simple.
You need negative stars (lots of them) to rate this insidious product. One star is far too much.

Peter Griffin

Peter GriffinSouth West, WA

They don't send you a new one when it expires

Be aware when your card expires your funds will go to unclaimed money. Now I have to go into the branch to claim it back without knowing how much I had. Could be 1$ could be 1000$ I can't access my account info now so how is someone to know if they are being ripped off?? Trust of a big bank?

Ridiculously low rate

I added AU$1000 to the card and exchanged to VND but didn't have a chance to use it due to change of plan. Then I transferred the total VND amount back to AU$ and I lost $150. It was completely ripped off. Do not recommend it to anyone. I wished I should have googled about it first before ordering the card.

Don’t forget

Check your expiry date before travelling again and renew otherwise you’ll have to pay for the card again. After travelling for one month through Asia my wife had a Citi bank card which ended up being $50 better off and no cost for the card but Citibank isn’t available for all countries.
When you use travel money card at a restaurant you find yourself signing the receipt all the time instead of pin which becomes a bit annoying. Never had a problem getting cash just remember your slugged with a fee every time you use it at atms so limit withdrawals.

Quack

QuackAdelaide

Going to Vietnam

I suggest that you take cash (USD preferably although AUD is acceptable). Used CBA Travel Card at Vietnamese bank ATMs was charged VND50000 per withdrawal PLUS additional fees of the Vietnamese banks. Vietnam is a 'cash' society with even hotels preferring cash (USD or AUD). And yes exchange rate provided by CBA was low and hotels there don't give good rates either. At least I could access the account and load it via NetBank.

AMcT

AMcT

Do not use!

Can’t get it to work in commbank atms in Indo. This is terrible, especially because the banks version of Siri is worse than useless and just try asking for help from a real person. Dinosaur bank, unhelpful app, useless travel card. Back to the credit unions it is.