Commonwealth Bank Travel Money Card

Commonwealth Bank Travel Money Card

See the Best Travel Money Cards & Currency Exchanges in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Brand Manager for Commonwealth Bank? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

• Competitive Exchange Rate Yes (4) · No (15)
Said H.
Said H.

Commonwealth rate exchange is a rip-off

Their exchange rate is the worse in addition to their fees, you get the worse deal if you either selling or buying, they rip you off like a hand saw up and down.
I can't believe the difference between buying and selling is 10.4%.

Ando1031
Ando1031Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Closed my account without contacting me or consent.

CBA closed this account without giving any forewarning. The have effectively stolen money from me. The bank isn't willing to give back MY foreign currency. AVOID using this product. Go for other options.

CurrencyAUD, CAD, CNY, EUR, GBP, HKD, NZD, SGD, THB and USD
theloneranger1988
theloneranger1988Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Absolutely Amazing !!

I've just returned from a 2 month trip to Europe during the height of COVID19 and if wasn't for this card i wouldn't have been able to do so much stuff in the limited amount of time that i had. In addition to that it's awesome for online shopping since there's no minimum charge and the transfers are instant.

Love it !!

Travel Money Cards & Currency Exchanges

Find out how Commonwealth Bank Travel Money Card compares to other Travel Money Cards & Currency Exchanges

Humbal S.
Humbal S.Perth, WA

Rip off exchange rates

Terrible product to have..worst possible rates you will get through banks. Always go for other options instead of banks..be mindful, banks are not there to help in need.. rather waiting for our ignorance and fill there fat pockets...

DorothySydney Surrounds, NSW

Terrible card!!

Where do I start! The exchange rate was terrible, at least 4 cents less than other cards. There were several instances where I tried to transfer money on the card only to be given an error message saying that the travel card didn't exist. And finally on check out I tried to pay the bill using my travel card which had sufficient funds and it was declined. I spent almost an hour at reception trying to pay in $500 increments, half of which were declined. I tried to phone the number provided on my travel card info, which unfortunately was a general Commbank number and not a travel card hotline. Will not use it ever again!!!

Horrible exchange rate.

Horrible exchange rate. Not competitive at all. While easy to use, and beneficial if going multiple countries, there are better options out there. Ie. I got an exchange rate of 71 yen when it was trading at 75.

Horrible dispute mechanism

While it is convenient to be able to pay without fees the exchange rate is horrible.
We used it in Switzerland, Euro counties and the Czech Republic. Loaded before going with $A and Euros.
We had 2 transactions turned down that are currently still “pending”. This was 26 and 24 days ago. Have had numerous emails and 4 telephone conversations and still not resolved. The service desk was answered on all but one occasion by operators who had heavy accents and were extremely difficult to understand as I assume I was to them.
Emails were answered 3-4 days later with a pleasant but irrelevant message instructing me to call them once again.
No ability to call using WiFi call made this difficult whilst overseas.

oreillysmission01
oreillysmission01South East Queensland, QLD

Simple and effective

Strange to see so many poor reviews for this card - I have found it to be excellent through South America, Bali, Asia etc. I haven't had a single issue with it. Transferring funds is immediate on the app, and its nice and safe. Loading up with another currency, and withdrawing in that currency is a good idea to avoid extra fees.

I was only charged $3.50 for (ATM) cash withdrawals - pretty reasonable I thought. Beyond this card, its always good to have an international credit card (like 28 degrees) which can be used as back up.

you don't pay any transaction fee if you withdraw in the currency loaded on the card. I.e Load up with Euro, and withdraw in Euro and you will only pay with withdrawal fee.

AJ59
AJ59Geelong

No Problems at All

Having not travelled for 20 years I was not sure what the best option for money in Europe.
I finally decided on the CBA Money Card, glad I did as I had no issues at all.

Katherine
KatherineGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

CHILE (Card won’t work)

In Chile, I was not able to use it to pay anything. The card will only work with just one ATM (Bank of Chile) which is difficult to find one

Michael H.
Michael H.Perth, WA

Absolute Theft

First of all i didnt want this card they CBA pushed it on me, said it would save me money that was a total lie the currency rate the give they is crap so make money there and then if tranfer the money back to its original currency they rip you off 20C in the dollar, i was not told of any of this when they pushed the card on me absolute thieves.

G.L
G.LBrisbane

Virtually useless to a couple!

Went to a branch who said it was possible for my wife and I to get cards and link them. We have a joint account, joint home loan and joint credit card but in fact we cannot get a joint travel money card or even two seperate ones that are linked. Now I have to either give my wife cash or be with her 24/7 as the pin option on the card doesn't work 99% of the time and requires a signature! All in all pretty much useless to us!

Zac G.
Zac G.Sydney, NSW

Ripp off

Ripp off. I used this card when I went to the US. Easily paid $500 or more than I needed to.

Dont waste your time. Its easy to open a bank account once you land. Then, transfer money using TransferWise. That the best app with cheapest rates and no hidden fees Ive found.

Not impressed
Not impressedPerth, WA

Misleading and deceptive

CurrencyTHB
Reyes
ReyesMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Useless

Couldn't even use it at a large department store and for petrol. Just kept getting declined. Useless in America. Ended up having to withdraw cash and got charged almost USD$10 in fees at the ATM. Not for emergencies... it will likely get declined.

CurrencyCAD and USD

Read more reviews - page 2

Javeria H.
Javeria H.asked

can we transfer money overseas (India) through travel money card by using money gram.

Kit Sheung Lai
Kit Sheung Laiasked

How to renew my travel money card with commonwealth bank while I’m overseas ? Do I have to be physically present in Australia in order to renew it? Is there any other way to renew it while I’m overseas?

Dorothy

Hi Kit. Check out all the reviews before you renew the card.

Noelia P.
Noelia P.asked

Hi, the card was used to withdraw $100 USD from an ATM in Walmart in Kentucky USA. Was charge $2.50USD by the Commonwealth , but then charged an additional $18.36 USD. So a $100USD withdrawl cost $20.86USD , About $30 AUS. Is this right? How do we avoid this.

John
John

It was probably a private ATM. Always use recognized banks. I would suggest only withdrawing when you need cash and don’t do this often. Use the cash card to pay for as many of your transactions as possible as there is no fee for payments.

See all Commonwealth Bank Travel Money Card questions