Dux Prodigy 5

Dux Prodigy 5

135D5N, 170D5N, 170DB5N, etc...

BigTone

BigToneCraigieburn

Join the DUX club for flame outs, funny noises and pilot light problems.

Purchased from bunnings in 2012 and over much of the time installed made many noises whilst heating up the water (close to bedroom on outside, no sleeping till water has heated up) Now looking at the other reviews, definitely a design or component problem with these units. Peered inside unit, problems with pilot light, controller faulty and melted insulation with black soot. Not worth the risk with these units. Previous Rheem unit lasted 18 years till it leaked.

Purchased in August 2012 at Bunnings Warehouse for $1,149.00.

Alex

AlexMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Hot Water Service

Installer came within 24 hours. Very professional and courteous. Unit is working perfectly. Time will tell how good it is, but at this stage everything is working well, thank you.

Purchased in November 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse for $1,643.00.

Operating as expected excellent

following minor issues with pilot light repeatedly going out 5times in a month the unit is now performing to full satisfaction and the unit in my opinion is recommended providing it keeps performing at the same rate as of now .issue of pilot light was rectified fairly quickly within the day following my phone call to service dept.

Purchased in November 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse.

Jeff

JeffPerth, WA

Having problems with my Prodigy 5

Purchased in June 2015.

Household Size 5 person(s)

N FlynnWheatbelt, WA

Help don't know what to do

Our builder installed 2x 2016 one at each side of the house. We have started to have constant problems with one in particular which keeps blowing out. I relight and it sometimes lasts a couple of days until this week. When I was lighting it it caught on fire and the flames came gushing out towards my face. At this point I have realised that this has been happening previously as the vents at the top are black with smoke and inside smoke marks also. Until this point we were happy with the system but don't know what to do now as not in the position to replace it.

Household Size 3 person(s)

Email has been sent

Roger

RogerSouthwest, VIC

Repaired

Tom

TomMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Our new Dux water heater

Our new Dux Prodigy 5 is now three weeks old. Our hot water is the hottest it has been for years. Great product and I would recommend this brand to anyone replacing their existing heater

Purchased in October 2019 for $2,000.00.

Mol

Mol

Piece of junk - lasted 4 years - gave trouble throughout - warranty on tank only

Lasted for 4 years - kept going out throught - badly and cheaply made - pipe leaking water - the whole thing caught fire - not safe - warranty only covers the tank - not the shonky additions like poorly welded piping - stay away from this brand

Purchased for $1,100.00.

Pilot lamp going off in the last 6 months

I had my 170D5N installed in my new house by the builder around March 2014; for the past 6 months it has had constant flame outs with the pilot not staying on, I also found that the insulation outside it has burned, unfortunately we have been through difficult situations and cannot afford to pay for a plumber to fix it and we cannot even think about buying a new one, we expected more from this product and are extremely disappointed.

Purchased in March 2014 for $1,400.00.

Happy camper

Happy camperMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

No fuss, does exactly what it is supposed to.

Replaced an existing Dux heater that had lasted a long time. Was a straight swap so fitted perfectly in the alcove. The thermostat mechanism seems to be a lot more modern than the one in the old unit. Has worked well from day one.

Purchased in September 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse for $1,570.00.

Adnan M

Adnan MGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Pilot lamp going off scince we bought this.

We bought this unit 170D5N from Bunnings with complete installation as we expected to have a very reliable product. It's being nearly 4 years now. Scince very beginning it has issue of pilot lamp going off and as I'm usually out for work my wife and young kids hd to suffer a lot.
We complained and complined even I filed a complaint last week at Dux website and so far no reply.
We cannot aford to buy a new one and I have no idea how to get it fixed as tried.
I'm seriously concerned if this product is safe to use we have to keep it at max for longer period for hot water and I can see it's foam around has started melting.
What I can think is that it was a bad choice we made while trusting the name of Dux and Bunnings

Purchased at Bunnings Warehouse for $1,300.00.

Noise Level
Household Size 5 person(s)
Dux C.Dux

This is what a hot shower feels like :-)

The water flow and heat produced by this unit is wonderful, had forgotten what a good shower feels like. I would have no hesitation in recommending this unit to my friends and family

Purchased in October 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse.

Very efficient water heater

We were relieved to have the Dux replacement installed in late August and to finally have hot showers. The installer arrived on time, was friendly and gave good advice and information on the performance of the heater. It has been operating very well so far and provising us with ample and consistent hot water.

Purchased in August 2019 for $1,478.00.

Excellent heater!

We had a new dux waterheater installed awhile ago, it has been doing a great job ever since the installation day,
Water temperature is consistant and even when we have visitors and the hot water gets low you only have to wait 30 mins and its hot again,very very happy customers,at a good price,what more can you ask for! Thanks.david.

Purchased in July 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse.

Hot water gas storage

Hot water gas storageGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Performance counts

Performing extremely well, control on temperature of the hot water is excellent. It is supplying more than enough hot water for our family. The unit is relatively quiet even at night time. Great product, Dux

Purchased in September 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse for $1,085.18.

Noise Level
Household Size 3 person(s)
Dux C.Dux

Fantastic service from start to finish. Very happy customers.

We are very happy with the hot water service and the service Dux provided from start to finish. Their guidance regarding which service to install was extensive and our selected choice serves our family of four well. Quick turnaround at an extremely competitive price.

Purchased in August 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse.

MichelleSouth East Queensland, QLD

Unsafe product and regret it so much

My parents’ hot water system unit is having issue with pilot light getting off all the time. After reading the reviews and I am concern regards to the safety of this product. The other reason is my parents unable to resolve this issue due to their age and physical well beings. Getting a product that created stress to your daily life is not pleasant.

Purchased in April 2015 at Bunnings Warehouse for $1,199.00.

Dux C.Dux

I wish I read the reviews first before purchasing.

Purchased in September 2016 at Bunnings Warehouse.

Noise Level
Household Size 1 person(s)

Graham RogersMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

**** Fantastic Response Thank You --- Less than 4 years old and pilot light keeps going out

Purchased in October 2015 for $1,525.00.

Happy to chat
My mobile is 0418 111 333

OSydney

OSydneySydney, NSW

Excellent Hot Water System!

We had the Dux Prodigy 5 170DB5N installed about a month ago, and we couldn't be happier with our new hot water system. So far, everything has been perfect: the professionalism of the Dux hot water installation team, Dux's customer service, the ease of getting the installation organised in the first place, and of course the product itself. We're pleased with how quickly the water heats up, and would definitely recommend this hot water system for a family of 4.

Purchased in July 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse.

Jema

Jemaasked

On the 31/12/2016 i bought a Dux Prodigy at Bunnings because the unit we had would not re light, after bringing it home and cutting open the box decided to try to re light the old Gas heater as we had had a flood down the side of the house and I could see the water mark up the side , it lite so we covered with the cut box and put the Dux Prodigy in shed.
On the 29/9/2019 we installed the Dux Prodigy 5 170DB5N it worked and a couple of days latter we got cold water, so we re light the unit and next couple of days it went out and this is happening every couple of days since, reading peoples reviews it seems to have got a bad name for doing this.
My question is this whilst brand new it is out of warranty what is wrong with it , and what should I do ?
Malcolm Brown

Hi Malcolm,

We are sorry to hear about your experience and really hope we can resolve your issues.

So we can locate your details easier can you email through your full name (state this username as well), best contact number, address where the unit is installed, model number and serial number of the unit to help@dux.com.au?

Regards,

Carol

Carolasked

What is the cost of installation of an electric unit?

Hi Carol,

We'd be happy to provide you with an estimate of what an installation might cost.

But would you be able to email through your full name (state this username as well) and best contact number to help@dux.com.au so we can discuss this with you.

Best Regards,

Michelleasked

My parents’ unit is having the issue now. Pilot light kept going off and I am concern about the safety of the unit. My parents incapable to resolve this problem due to their physical health issues. Can you please contact me as soon as possible? Thanks

Hi Michelle
I had a similar problem with my hot water unit that was not quite four years old
I'm not sure how old your parents unit is?
I wrote a review on this website and the Dux people contacted me within 2 to 3 days and organised for a plumber to come out and check over the unit within a couple of days

The plumber replaced a couple of parts completely free of charge and the unit is now operating as though it was brand-new

I am 100% pleased with the service that I have since received

Maybe wait a couple of days to see if the Dux people contact you, otherwise call the customer service department and explain the problem to them, Although it may depend a little on how old your parents hot water service unit is

Good luck

Hi Michelle,

We are genuinely sorry this happened and look forward to resolving with you.

Our team would like to resolve this for you. If you can email through your full name, best contact number, address where the unit is installed, model number and serial number of the unit to help@dux.com.au we would greatly appreciate it.

Best Regards,

Michelle

I have sent through an email and wonder when is your team going to contact me? My parents are out of hot water. Everyday we turn on the pilot light on it just turn off after few hours. Will be greatly appreciated and helpful if we can sort this out ASAP. Thank you

Get an answer from our members and Dux representatives