Dux Prodigy 5

Dux Prodigy 5

135D5N, 170D5N, 170DB5N, etc...

• Smells of GasYes (11) · No (47)
  • Temperature Consistency
  • Heating Speed

Never trust a bank

Never trust a bankSydney, NSW

Buyer beware

Unfortunately after 3 years had problem with the flu flap and after calling a plumber he pointed out this is a problem with the units and they no longer produce them.Be careful if you have one of these unit’s,because when you try and relight them flames come out of the front and you could be burned.Buyer beware not all hot water units last as long as you expect. Try another brand could be wise.It’s a pity that once Dux had problems with these systems,that they didn’t fix them voluntarily.But I suppose it’s about money and not the consumer.

Purchased in October 2017 for A$1,300.00.

Absolute lemon!

Absolute lemon! We bought a display home and this was the system that came with the house. From the day we moved in we have had non stop issues with having no hot water. Have had plumbers out to look at it and have not had the issue resolved. I’m relighting the gas daily. The foam looks burnt. I’m now replacing the whole thing after 3 years of living like this.

Jessica B.

Jessica B.Northeast, VIC

Dangerous unit

Goes hot and cold frequently and does not last very long at all. Also takes a long time to reheat the water. Pilot light also frequently goes out which is annoying. System is only 5 years old and is no longer working. At some point it has caught fire on the inside and melted the foam which is super dangerous! Not happy at all with this product as now in the middle of a pandemic I am forced to replace it with super tight funds due to be redundant most of the year!

Shane

ShanePerth, WA

Great Service

It was only after having purchased the Dux water heater, that I realised that Dux also offered an installation service. An independent Dux approved installer fitted the unit. The whole service was very efficient and the installer was polite, informative and reasonably priced. The unit has now been operational for a month or so and we couldn't be happier.

Purchased in June 2020 at Bunnings Warehouse.

Irena M.Perth, WA

Stopped working after less than 4 years

We had Dux Prodigy 5 unit since 2016, and from day one had problems with the pilot light that wouldn't stay alight. Even the plumber couldn't figure out why. The last time it turned itself off, as I went to restart it , it worked fine on 1, but as soon as I adjusted the knob settings to 3,4,5 or 6 the flames would come out and started burning the sorounding area, which looks dangerous . Very disappointed as I was expecting this unit to last more than 4 years.

Purchased in September 2016 at Bunnings Warehouse for A$1,800.00.

Irena M.

Thank you all sorted, faster than I expected, great customer service Dux, thanks

LindenSydney, NSW

The pilot light and burnt foam issues

I've had this issues with my unit since new , which is 6 or 7 years . The pilot light now won't stay on for more then 30 minutes without going out. Looks like the unit had issues from word go. Also I have the burnt foam inside. Shame as Dux are normally very good.

Purchased in January 2014 at Unkown for A$1,200.00.

Linden

Really helpful support from the team at Dux .. They were right onto the issue and nothing was too much trouble. Excellent after sales support , even years down the track from when I purchased the water heater.

Sino

SinoPerth, WA

unhappy, just 4 years Dux Prodigy 5 135D5N & I had to spend more money to fix the issues

It was installed sometime in March 2016 & I was expecting more from this product, but after just 4 years (may 2020) it needs compartment replacement & service. I had to spend some money to fix the issues. I have this product installed after about 18 years the old one was leaking. The comparation between them is too much.
I am expecting more from DUX to give more support for their failed products e.i. the comprehensive warranty for 10 years not just 1 year.

Purchased in March 2016.

VLWAPerth, WA

Very troublesome - pilot light keeps going off, scorching, disappointing product

Since we go this unit with our new house since 2015 it's been nothing but issues, especially with the pilot light going off. Tonight itself I have gone outside 4 times to relight the pilot light again. Also noticed that the styrofoam insulation inside is melted and scorched. How dangerous is this! Very disappointed at this unit and thr trouble it's given us. Not reliable at all.

VLWA

Thank you very much for contacting me and resolving the issue so quickly. It is great to know that there is a great support team for the product and we are very happy that the issue is now rectified. Much appreciated.

Dux C.Dux

Serious concern with system now resolved

My hot water system stopped working and I contacted Dux who responded immediately and happy to say that they repaired the system to my satisfaction. I am more than pleased with their service

Household Size1 person(s)

Laura

LauraGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Installed and working brilliantly

Although I couldn’t get the unti from Dux I was able to purchase this and then have Dux come and install and remove the old unit too! An awesome guy Will came to install and we had a great ol’chat while he was working hard! Thank Dux!!

Purchased in April 2020 at Bunnings Warehouse for A$1,130.00.

Household Size1 person(s)

PrasadSydney

After 6 years, still spending money to fix issues

Purchased in February 2014 for A$1,500.00.

Emailed Dux yesterday with requested info. Thanks

Prasad

No one contacted me from Dux yet They are just misleading other readers to think Dux follow up and resolve issues!

Neal R.Metropolitan Adelaide, SA

Very Happy and Thank you

Happy with product as it heats really well, Install was great, but appliance had an issue, Pilot light has blown out a few times, Today as promised the heater was fixed in 10 minutes, Thank you to the Dux team and person who came out and fixed. 10/10 for service..

Purchased in December 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse.

Neal R.

Service man came out and fixed today as promised, Thankyou

Michael M.Metropolitan Adelaide, SA

Pilot light Issues.....

Installed 2 1/2 years ago and has been great up till now. In the past week the pilot light has gone out about 3 times. It relights without a problem but then couple days later cold water again. Spoke with installer and he advised that certain units <dating back to mine, didn't have a pilot light guard fitted and it was an issue that Rheem should repair under warranty. Will contact on Monday, we'll see.

Purchased in April 2017 for A$1,400.00.

Michael M.

Thank you for getting back so promptly. I will provide all info that you requested in the next couple of days. Thanks again.

Problem with the pilot light

We installed the 170D5N about 4years and for the last week or so we have been having alot of cold showers as the flame keeps going out. Extremely disappointing start to the Christmas holidays.

Ally

AllyVictoria

Such a great hot water service so glad we decided to go the 5 star instead of the 4 Star

It copes well with the whole family using the hot water never runs out so happy we chosen the 5 star instead of the 4 star would recommend it to others

Purchased in December 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse for A$1,105.00.

BigTone

BigToneCraigieburn

Join the DUX club for flame outs, funny noises and pilot light problems.

Purchased from bunnings in 2012 and over much of the time installed made many noises whilst heating up the water (close to bedroom on outside, no sleeping till water has heated up) Now looking at the other reviews, definitely a design or component problem with these units. Peered inside unit, problems with pilot light, controller faulty and melted insulation with black soot. Not worth the risk with these units. Previous Rheem unit lasted 18 years till it leaked.

Purchased in August 2012 at Bunnings Warehouse for A$1,149.00.

Alex

AlexMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Hot Water Service

Installer came within 24 hours. Very professional and courteous. Unit is working perfectly. Time will tell how good it is, but at this stage everything is working well, thank you.

Purchased in November 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse for A$1,643.00.

Operating as expected excellent

following minor issues with pilot light repeatedly going out 5times in a month the unit is now performing to full satisfaction and the unit in my opinion is recommended providing it keeps performing at the same rate as of now .issue of pilot light was rectified fairly quickly within the day following my phone call to service dept.

Purchased in November 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse.

Jeff

JeffPerth, WA

Having problems with my Prodigy 5

Purchased in June 2015.

Household Size5 person(s)

N FlynnWheatbelt, WA

Help don't know what to do

Our builder installed 2x 2016 one at each side of the house. We have started to have constant problems with one in particular which keeps blowing out. I relight and it sometimes lasts a couple of days until this week. When I was lighting it it caught on fire and the flames came gushing out towards my face. At this point I have realised that this has been happening previously as the vents at the top are black with smoke and inside smoke marks also. Until this point we were happy with the system but don't know what to do now as not in the position to replace it.

Smells of GasYes

Email has been sent

Hayden

Hayden asked

Prodigy 5 135D5N

Got the pilot light going out everyday, foam melted at burner hole just on 5 years old,any warranty?

Unfortunately no,but you should call a plumber as soon as possible. I know with our hot water system,that we had flames coming out of the bottom of the system .So be careful

Hi Hayden,

We apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Our team would like to resolve this for you. So we can understand the specific details can you please email through your full name, productreview username, best contact number, address where the unit is installed, model number and serial number to help@dux.com.au so we can call you back, talk through the issue and try and resolve it for you?

Regards,

Bob

Bobasked

Prodigy 5 135D5N

The flue damper is faulty and is causing the flame to smother and incomplete combustion there is signs of burnt insulation at the bottom of the unit . Dux are aware of this problem, what has been done to fix it?

Neal R.

Dux organised a service person to come and fix the issue

Hi Bob,

Our team would like to speak with you at your earliest convenience so we can get this sorted.

Regards,

Neal R.asked

Prodigy 5 170DB5N

I have had the pilot light go out 3 times in as many weeks? Is there a issue with this model? I will write review after hearing back from you.

Michael M.

Hi Neil, mine is 2 1/2 years old. After posting my review Dux made contact with me 2 days ago. They then contacted one of their servicing mobs who came out this morning and repaired it under warranty. So, yes, with my particular unit there was an issue. Part replaced in under 10 minutes. Very happy with the service from them. So maybe just post like I did and see what happens. All the best, hope that helped.

Hi Neal,

We would like to resolve this issue as soon as we can.

So we can understand the specific details can you please email through your full name, productreview username, best contact number, address where the unit is installed and serial number to help@dux.com.au so we can call you back, talk through the issue and try and resolve it for you?

Best Regards,

The Dux Team

Get an answer from our members and Dux representatives

Compare all 10 Dux Prodigy 5
Dux Prodigy 5 170DB5P

Dux Prodigy 5 170DB5P

No reviews yet
CategoryGas Hot Water Storage SystemsGas Hot Water Storage SystemsGas Hot Water Storage SystemsGas Hot Water Storage Systems
Release dateApr 2008Apr 2008Apr 2008Apr 2008