Foton Tunland

See the Best Utes in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Foton Tunland is a cost effective answer

I purchased my first Tunland new, in Oct 2014 after doing my homework and test driving just about every other brand of ute offered in NZ. I wouldn't say it came out top in my eyes but it ticked all my box's. Personally I find the Tunlands exterior lines more appealing than most other brands. Its a big truck with a spacious cab and large rear well.The motor performed well enough, it was an acceptable truck to drive and all the basic tricks like bluetooth, cruisecontrol etc seemed to be on board. Reliability was always going to be a question that only time could answer. All in all when one considered the price, it all seemed a bit of a no brainer to me, once I got my head around buying Chinese, the Foton was easily the best deal on offer in NZ at that time. I had a couple of problems, like daytime running lights blowing bulbs and a faulty clutch pressure cylinder, both fixed under warranty.The 4wd selection system could be a bit unpredictable and it was a much lighter vehicle than the Nissan Safari's I had been used to, however when I pulled out to pass and unlike the heavy Safari, it was over in a flash. I often drive between Dunedin and Nelson, the Foton can do the trip with half the Safari's fuel burn and I am always much less fatigued at journeys end, I was also impressed with the 70,000km I got from my first set of tyres. I recently traded it in on a new improved model which has more power and handles better with a smoother ride. If this one proves as reliable as the last one, I will be very satisfied.

Purchased in October 2014.

Year2014

Newly purchased Dec 2018

So far it's very comfortable ride , plenty of leg room front and back, great economy, bit sluggish if you need to get off the mark fast but hit the sport button and it lifts off smartly.great turning in tight spots. Good vision all around due to big windows. We added a full fibreglass canopy, a steel bullbar,tint to front and rear doors and a towbar.
The interior is great all the bits and bobs of all modern cars sat nav etc. Comfy seats good aircon, little hidy hole under back seat.
The only problem I see is the night drive lights I'm probably going to have to get spotties to see the wild life coming.
The Chinese need to get a lesson in finishings though, there's a few descrepencies in paint and sealing.
All round good truck so far
An update, I am having a problem with the front wheel alignment, I am getting it seen to just wondering if any one else has had a problem. I wont put the exact details here but if anyone is experiencing this let me know

Purchased in December 2018 at Gritners for $41,000.00.

Year2018
Comfort

Why by a Hilux, Colorado, Ranger when you by 2 Tunlands for about the same price

I bought my 2016 Tunland new in March 2017. Were running out old stock.
I live in Nelson NZ and bought it from a dealer in the North Island, as no agent where I live.
It is now Jan. 2019.
So the question is, am I happy with my purchase?. YES
My approach to buying this vehicle was, "when buying a new vehicle you are buying new problems and when buying second hand you are buying some one else's" And what was most important to me?, will the agent provide the after sale service to resolve any issues that may arise?.
Did I have any problems with the vehicle. YES
Stitching in back of drivers seat came apart.
2 oil seal leaks, one on the gear box another to do with the trans axle.
Traction control light would come on when going over 50km hr
For the oil leaks I took the ute to the local Mitsubishi dealer to verify problems, then rang the dealer I brought it from and arranged for them to send parts down and have it fixed. ( None of that rot where you must take it to an approved service agent)
The seat took to long, but was soon resolved when I went up the ladder.
The traction control light problem occurred when out of town on holiday so took it to a service agent in Dunedin who had it sorted in 40min (Steering calibration)
There was no cost to me for any of the above.

These uts are worth every cent. Yes they are basic and don't have the flash interior of others in the same class.
But I didn't buy it for that, I wanted some thing reliable, to use for what it was designed. To get fire wood, a bit of off road driving, towing, and good after sale service. And that is exactly what I got.
They drive as well as any other ute and for a 2.8lt engine have plenty of grunt for any occasion.
The only negative for me "and this goes for most vehicles" is to many alarms, Eg. Door, seat belt,and such.are pain and drive me nuts.( Just a light would do fine)
I also fell that 1st & Reverse are to high geared most annoying when backing trailer up my concrete drive. I'm not comfortable putting it in 4L, due to load on drive train when turning.
So if you dont have a over inflated ego and want a ute that is fit for purpose and doesn't cost a fortune, by 2 Fotons for the cost of a Hilux, or some other over priced brands.

Date PurchasedMar 2017

My Foton Tunland Duel Cab 4X4

Just bought my new 2018 Foton Tunland 4X4,we put a canopy on it as well
Only done just under a thousand clicks,all good
First impressions are:
Very surprised by the engine,lots of mumbo down low as a matter of fact this thing is a bit of a weapon. A bit to early to be critical just yet.
No 4 wheeling or caravan towing as yet but excellent at highway speeds,1800 rpm at 100 kph,2000 rpm at 110 kph
Have found no fault with cruise control,holds set speed very well. Torque range starts at 1600 rpm so I keep the revs between 1600 rpm and 2000 rpm,it will go up and down the hills without even noticing them
Very happy so far.
Will keep forum updated as time goes on

UPDATE
Did a bit of towing,about 250kls with my 16' pop top,I would say it weighs about 1500kgs, and some 4wding.
As far as towing goes the Tunland hardly notices it,can still drive around 1700rpm around 95 to 100kmph in top gear, not an issue at all.Getting 9.5 ks per 100ks while towing. Very happy with that.
With 4wding I soon discovered this in no soft offroader at all,with traction control and hill decent control its dam awesome.
Cheers Steve

As

Purchased in November 2018 for $24,995.00.

Year2018

reliable bargain workhorse

These utes are a bargain 2nd hand,I was looking for a workhorse,usually under 20k,looked at rangers,Hilux,rodeo all with 300/400000kms on them, so put money away for an engine rebuild,found a tunland and keep in mind the price I'm impressed,It's bad points flat hard seats,hard plastic interior,flimsy switches.Good points low tech engine,tough reliable,the little Cummins is ohv,push rod,timing gears,no belt or chain to break,cast iron block and head,no liners. Cummins have been building truck and industrial engines for a long time, they go for ever.Its truck like to drive,which I like, has a nice growl under load, which I also like,has some turbo lag, which i am getting used to,I will go looking for better seats for comfort and save my money. Very happy for the money spent

Date PurchasedAug 2017
Drive4WD

Disappointment and bloody shame.

I researched the Tunland ute and despite negative reviews and living in hope of Foton improving vehicles weak points it took 2 years to decide to buy my first new car. Reputable names, cummins, getrag box, borgwarner, dana axles and even a hilux chassis. Bought in Vic, serviced by Beddgoods, Ballarat. Dissatifactory response to minor warranty issues and fobbed off concerns. Brooks in Wodonga gave excellent service to issues regarding interior air directional lever, replaced out of balanced rims, for after market. I resolved daylight driving light with leds, cooler. Second gear selector was clunky, Ultra tune Palmerston has replaced with rebuilt gearbox, good, but has problematic 1st gear engagement, pops out now and then on take off. Yes, oil filter, poor design for application, loosens off toward end of service cycle. Need to nick it up a bit. Just watch for oil drops on driveway. Discpads wore uneven on right front on under 60k, scored rotor. Left hand side fine. Use gears to slow down so no excessive breaking. Only share fault with others is gearbox. I'll have to keep on top of warranty issues. Mechanic has given the heads up on other owners issues; Darwin has quite a few Tunlands on its roads. Always opportunities for comparison chats. Basically the vehicle is a good drive, done the Sturt and Newell Highways. I shouldn't be doing the bloody quality control at my expense. No doubt post warranty and resale/trade-in, what do you reckon, so I'm stuck with it. I hope I'm luckier than most. Cheers.

Date PurchasedJun 2016
Drive4WD

Big miss I am said to say.

An every day driver that I use for work. I purchased the vehicle to expand my business and towing is important, and 2.5 tonnes capability should do the job. Unfortunately tge car has had issues since the 1000km make and has only gotten worse. Mystery misfire, gear box and transfer case that needs repair and replacement and ABS brakes that regularly lock up leave this vehicle short of the mark.
On the surface the car is well presented and comparable with its competitor's however a few years down the track anything plastic has faded, levers and clips broken and did I mention the rust? Everywhere, from front to back, top to bottom and in between.
After sales service from the manufacturer is not what you would expect from a company trading within Australia.

Date PurchasedAug 2015
Drive4WD

Excellent ride, but have a few issues with this product

Love the ride, enough power when towing a trailer and plenty of room, for the kids. However, I have had a few issues with the head lamps, blinkers and hand brake, which has let this vehicle down for me.
But, value for money, I would recommend this vehicle to my friends and family

Date PurchasedSep 2015

Excellent vehicles.I have 5 running all over NZ.We deliver calf milk powder on farms with the Tunlan

We are running 5 Foton Tunlands in NZ Bought form Car Town Palmerston North. We are delivering milk powder to farms.We have put flat decks on them all and regularly carry a tonne on back and tow 2.5 tonne behind them all over NZ . Deliver 3.5 tonne .Been 100 % reliable and we have traded 2 in on new models and got excellent trade in deal.Very happy with whole experience.Have now bought 2 Foton Aumark trucks as well.Guess we are Foton converts

January 5th 2019 Update: We have increased our fleet from 5 Tunlands

Brytec stockfeed are running up to 7 Foton Tunlands since changing from Colorado. Constantly reliable trouble free heavy towing.We deliver milk powder on farm all over Newzealand. Now running 2 Foton Aumark trucks to our fleet . 1079 and 1099 saving fuel and labour hours.Try a drive.I recommend them .Absolutely reliable .large well finished utes and trucks and tractors and buses.

Date PurchasedMar 2015

Poor

It’s ok, terrible after sales experience- this needs to improve.
Drive train if fine - everything else is cheap & poorly put together.
It’s near impossible to change headlight globes, they seem to blow every 6 months.
I don’t regret the purchase - however will look at the LDV t60 next.

Date PurchasedMar 2016

Nice and no Issues

I enjoy driving my new Foton. I have had it for the last 6 months and no issues. Very economical for a 4 x 4 duel cab. Heaps of power when needed via the cummins 2.8 . Everything one really needs in a car at an excellent price. Will be enjoying some nice long runs

Date PurchasedDec 2017

BEWARE OF WHERE YOU PURCHASE FOR WARRANTY ISSUES

LOVE THE CAR,,, GREAT VALUE FOR THE PRICE,,, BUT ,,, had gear box replaced due to problems with getting into second gear, as we had a reason to be in Wagga n.s.w. we had it replaced there,, all good until a hot day turned on aircon, wouldnt work correctly,, when we returned to Wagga got them to check it out some plate needed moving,, ok,, then globes blew on daylight running lights,,, $12 as mechanic suggested going to a lower watt... blew one within two days,,, month later get a fellow driver tells us had no break lights, fuses fine,, globes not blown, rang roadside assist he reset whatever,, worked fine again,, now find everytime we plug our van or trailer in brake lights dont work again,,, then driving in the worst weather for summer rain,wind storms,, demister wasnt working,,, so decided to return to place of purchase, Beddgood Motors Ballarat,, rang to book car in told they will service, any warranty issues they cannot do,, also told the Innes motors Golden Square (bendigo) no longer do either,,

WE purchased the car due to price, what it came with and from a dealer close to where it was from home for convenience and ease for servicing and warranty issues,, feeling ripped of,,, told dealership lost contract with foton due to them not taking on foton trucks,, so we purchasers have been totally screwed over,, as closest dealer now in Melbourne suburbs, Mitcham, Frankston,, for us at least an hour and half drive,, as Epping foton are only Trucks,,, so learn before purchasing these overseas cars,,, dealers can stop suppling them ,, and the companies can take dealship from them without notice,,, so b4 you find somewhere to get warranty issues fixed your over the service time and risk any problems been knocked back,, which is our situation at the moment, 2,,,000ks overdue on service due to finding a warranty accredited dealer to go to,, but more important having the time to do it,,,

Date PurchasedJun 2016
Drive4WD
Dont break your side mirrors, hubby side swiped a tree smashed the mirror, Replacement through dealer $750 . Googled ...found brand new replacement in S.A $242 posted.....

The one week car.

Now don't get me wrong key me start by saying I love this truck. I still love it no matter how much it breaks. Also when it goes off-road it has never gotten bogged and I've done a lot of off roading. BUT. I bought this tunland on a work lease in 2014. I was offered a six year warranty and thought hey this can't be so bad I'll give it a try. I also had the truck decked out with a lift,bullbar, driving lights, tonneau cover, aftermarket tyres and a tow bar, I later added a uhf,snorkel, roof racks, a roof basket and more lift and 33 inch tyres. So we picked up the car December 2014 drove the car down the road and the tyre alarms go off so back to the dealer they disabled it happy no beeps. The next day my wife noticed the entire passenger air vent (and ducting pipes) was missing from the dash. 4000km the clutch starts smoking (that's now a standard feature) back to the dealer for factory clutch adjustment. Reasonably trouble free until 19000km notice what I think is a rear main oil leak, take it to the dealer then they replace the pcv then decide it was the rear main and replace that. 21000km rear main leaking again so they replace seal again and add 9 kilometres of gasket seal. Then trouble free until 40000km, clutch starts slipping again back in adjusted, goes away. 50000km gears get a bit crunchy so Foton replaced 1-2-3rd synchros. 55000km leaks oil from crank seal so new harmonic balancer and crank seal and sump (its plastic) and sump gasket. 57000km trucks makes low angry rumbling noise which I think might be rear diff turns out it's a shattered centre bearing in driveshaft so Foton says "yes they fail here's a new one" so then between 57-89000km it keeps functioning blows a few bulbs. YAY 90000km, under the truck I notice some cv butter and some diff oil, so I take it in and the cvs and front diff are replaced but then the real problem starts. So originally the car was imported by an importer but this changes and Foton takes over. So my car is shipped to another dealer as the front brakes fail after the new cvs so it goes on a truck to another dealer for new abs modules and discs. Car goes ok 90-95ks overheats goes on truck to dealer checked given back. 95-97ks ok then overheating again but this time with the oil light on. So new main bearings, sump, oil pickup, oil pump, given back to me. Truck goes in for 100k service, I get a phone call you've got a blown head gasket and cracked cast iron head. It needs a rebuild. Then they fight over who's going to pay then they get parts (which takes 8 weeks) rebuild top end and I get it back YAY (or so I think) I drive the truck a total of 52kms it overheats, I have no coolant so back on the truck it gets a new radiator and hoses and thermostat. Then I get it back again. 113000kms. Start the truck then it stalls and the dash lights up like a Christmas tree, alarm blaring. Back on the towie again. Starting motor short so new battery and fuses and a starter motor. It's just hit 121kms it's done a 4000km road trip hasn't missed a beat but I never know when the next time will be I'll be off the road. I've had the truck 3 years and 1 month and it's been off the road for 8 of those months. If it wasn't a novated lease I think I would be thousands out of pocket but I've been lucky. Let's just say I'm not buying another Foton.

Date PurchasedDec 2014

Very happy once again. 2017 with automatic transmission improved

Ok well this is my second foton tunland. I have reviewed the new 2017 model and put my new and improved foton tunland to the test. It has a 6 speed automatic transmission. German built. The interior is excellent. Much better than the 2015 model. More powerful motor. And with 4 wheel disc brakes. More features like reverse camera. Touch screen stereo. Traction control. Steep descent control. Sports mode. Economy mode and snow. And much more on the stereo. Cruise control. Blue tooth. And more. You still need to replace the suspension shockers to better quality. For better ride and handling. And must fit a bull bar. There's no protection on the front of radiator and all. 5,000 km so far so good. Will keep you in the loop after 50.000 km. After $39000 with extras. Its excellent value for money. Better than spending $50000.

March 5th 2018 Update: Great value for money improved model from 2015.

Foton tunland 2017 automatic transmission. 6 speedThe driving experience is good. Hanging is good. Great turning circle for a long wheel bace. Cabin noice is better than the 2015 model. Performance is better than all manual foton tunlands. Especially after I fitted a express power chip. Wow. Better file economy as well. Interior is great. Looks good at night. Plenty of leg room front and back. I get a lot of compliments on my 4x4. Sayings it look great and going to look at buying one. It has a lot more features. Like touch screen stereo. Blue tooth cruiser control. Snow sports and economy mode. Steep decent. Adjust head lights up and down for towing. Auto lights. I added better suspension gas shocks. Changed tyres for better quality and performance. Tow bar 3 tone towing capacity. More than all fotons manual transmission. snorkel fitted. Tinted windows. Bull bar must be fitted as there’s no protection in front of Ute at all. All for $40.000. Say no more. Very happy Cummins engine is fantastic. Reliable.

Date PurchasedOct 2017

Good value for $

Took it out for a test drive my wife and I so impressed we purchased two on for me and one for my son he was looking for a car we are so happy we will look at a tunland againwhen I need a new one in a few years

Date PurchasedFeb 2015
Drive4WD

Instead of buying American, Japanese, European with Chinese parts buy Chinese with Chinese parts.

Hell come on, 53000 km, doors close with a thud, comfortable arm mass on door trim, motor and turbo sound like their running, rear doors open wide for good size fridge and gear, tub huge, assesories becoming easier to get, you get enough change to make it your own.

Date PurchasedJul 2015
Drive4WD

Great Cummins diesel motor.

Bought my Tunland second hand in March. It is a 2015 single cab with triple m tray, tuff bullbar and sidesteps, winch, towbar, under carriage toolboxes and driving lights. Triple m trays sides come off which is very handy and only takes ten seconds to put them back on. Had ute for six months and hasn't missed a beat on my farm, in paddocks, on gravel roads and in cruise control on empty country roads. My vehicle was first registered in March 2016 and still drives like a new car.

Internet car reviewers generally assume their audience is cashed up and ready to buy the next offering from Ford Ranger or Holden Colarado and base all their assumptions about other utes on comparisons with these models. There is however a whole segment of the ute market who just want a ute that goes well and will do the job. For me a small landowner Foton Tunland fits the bill.. The 2.8 Cummins motor is very torquey and has a nice note for people who like that sought of thing.

The interior is clean and expansive and one is not distracted by an over emphasis on gizmos and flashing lights. I'm a 'Manual' person and find the Getrag gearbox very smooth. The steering is light and responsive. This big ute is very easy to park in town as its electric rear view mirrors let you see exactly where you are going. Only the clutch is a little light for my liking but it is not problematic.

Foton single cabs are in a slightly different market to dual cabs. They are a lot cheaper and usually a bit more spartan. In this segment the Tunland is a very good buy especially if you get one second hand, just run in with about 25000k on the clock like I did.!!!

Date PurchasedMar 2017
Drive4WD

Foton up-grade require for better performance

My 2015 Foton duel cab ute was very slugy to start with, but with remapping of ECU and a high flow cat and 3" exhaust . The ute goes like the clappers. Also the suspension required up grading due to the steel Tuff bull bar placed on the vehicle from the dealer. I chose a Pedders HD 50mm lift kit to compensate for the steel body kit i also placed under the ute. From reading about oil catch cans I also placed a large flow one on the engine . The vehicle has been to the Gulf and Michelle River four times on some very ruff terrain and performed very good on sand, mud and salt flats; in addition, 640 km of dirt corrugated roads and the vehicle has no rattles. The interior is what I expected from a work ute, the light switch and wiring plugs to the lights required replacement due to faulty plugs, but i asked Battrey World in Mackay to change all to deutsch water/dust proof plugs. The earth contacts required checking and I replaced the fastenings and all good now. My clutch was slipping, so on my first service at 1000 km the lads adjusted it and after 51,000 km in two years the clutch hasn't require adjustment. I drive my vehicle like a truck and use my gears before the brake to slow down. The clutch and brakes are still in good service.

Date PurchasedJan 2016
Drive4WD

Why buy a 5 year old hilux with 170000km on the clock for $26000.

The bad news is the engine sounds a little like a tractor from the outside of the cab and that's where the bad news ends. Build quality is very good everything seems to do what it's supposed to. The owners hand book is very hard to read, print is very small and translated directly from Chinese this could do with some improvement. The ride is firm empty but put a load in the tray and that improves alot. The trim level is on par with hi lux or nissan. There are no mistery squeaks, rattles or thumps. The gearbox shifts very positive and smoothly the clutch is light and not at all gabby or slipery. Overall why would I buy a used 5 year old hilux with 170000 km on the clock when I can have a brand new foton tunland for the same money with a 3 year 100000km warranty and that new car smell.

Date PurchasedMay 2017

Average ute for the price

I bought my Tunland in 2015 and evidently, they have sorted some of the issues out like the blue tooth, hand brake,
head lamps delaminating etc but the local dealer has seen more of me than my family.... biggest problem is the clutch burn when you ride it a bit backing, and the gear box selectors for me.

Date PurchasedMar 2015