Garmin nüvi 50

Garmin nüvi 50

Lou

LouThornlands

Nice gps but beware f free maps.

I bought it on 29 th July 2012 from JB Hifi to use in NZ . Worked well again in August 2013 when I got my son to register it for free maps and update them prior to going. Worked well. In December 2014 he update it again for free and used it in NZ again. When he tried to update the maps last week Garmin would not update the maps only the software. I called them and was told I wasn't entitled to free maps . They said I had paid previously to update which isn't true and have to pay for an update. So much for free maps for life.

AGT

AGTBrisbane

Didn't last as long as expected

Bought in Sept 12, but only used from Oct 15 onward. Stopped working recently so got it checked by specialist retailer who confirmed it was a write-off. Garmin offered reconditioned replacement for $84.60 delivered, but mine returned to them at my cost ($10). Bought Navman for $119. Unable to update.

rusty007

rusty007Sydney, NSW

Great unit - reliable

In comparison to some of the poor reviews here, mine has been fine. I've had it for 3-4 years and its been nothing but reliable. The maps are accurate and the voice and prompts are fine. It sometimes calls turnoffs too late but I'm sure the others do as well. With any satnav, still watch the road and read the signs. Nothing is perfect.

I now use the Garmin in conjunction with Google maps on my smartphone, as Google maps shows live traffic and alternate routes. And Google maps HAS tried to send me the wrong way up a one-way major thoroughfare.

GPS Navigation Systems

Find out how Garmin nüvi 50 compares to other GPS Navigation Systems

Mike

MikeMelbourne

Will Garmin's Nuvi 50 GPS Kill You?

Gill

GillBrisbane

great buy

i bought my Garmin 3 yrs ago at Harvey Norman's for $88 i had a hiccup where it froze on me, took it back to Harvey and they sent it back to the Garmin manufacturing. They decided to replace the whole unit, and I haven't looked back. would like to know where i can get a manual book on how to upload maps. thanks

Jimbo

JimboMotueka

Top Product - pity about the maps shortcomings.

GARMIN!!! are you people reading this?

This unit has only lasted 6 months, The right side of the touch pad is not working at all, I misplaced the purchase receipt so the store wont honor the warranty, This gps used to tell me I was 100 meters left of where I really was, It also showed me as being 80 meters under sea level. NOT HAPPY AT ALL.
Thsis was my first gps so I have nothing to copare it to.
everything

Garmin Nuvi50

The first car GPS we have had. $88 delivered by mail from JB Hifi. Amazed at the product and technology for that price. Been in regular use for last 2 months, has not faltered. User friendly and wish we had one earlier when travelling in Melbourne or interstate. Adapts to a new route if you go off the 'go to' route initially given to you. Looked yesterday to buy another one but don't see them at $88 anymore.

slinkyboy

slinkyboyAU

Garmin Nuvi 50 GPS

Dont bother. Have had 2 of these and both have frozen within first few days of use. Garmin have replaed the first one but i get the impression there is a problem with this model after surfing the net and reviewing others who have had problems with this unit. sending the second one back for a refund. Would not recommend this as it has let me down when i most needed it in heavy traffic and unfamiliar territory. Thumbs down
good size screen
no use having a big screen when its freezes when you need it

ozjaneblack
ozjaneblack

Yes. Mine freezes often too. Now it would not even show any map when you turn it on. Am so disappointed! Our old model Navman is more useful!

GPS Navigation Systems

Find out how Garmin nüvi 50 compares to other GPS Navigation Systems

KlinkyAU

Hard to do better for the money.

My introduction to GPS's.

For someone who doesn't need or want all the bells and whistles this little unit does the job.

No need to worry about going the wrong way as it soon pulls me back on track.

Speed camera location alerts have probably saved me a coupla times as I didn't even realise they were located at some pedestrian crossings here in Adelaide.

For $88 on special with lifelong free map updates you couldn't go wrong.
Free lifelong map updates.
Verbal overspeed alerts have been left off the latest model.

Klinky

Mine is the Nuvi 50 and I don't have that problem. The Nuvi 50 LM is the USA model and depending where you download updates may determine what goes on.

very poor

purchased this unit 3 weeks ago.i live in a major town and maps were in accurate where i live and could not get customer support on the net mant of times as there server was busy and could not contact them by phone so i mailed the unit back to them with much pleasure.

not accurate and no customer support

Ginny123

SammyOwnerQld

Not very useful for Australia

BrianW51SA, 5159

User friendly GPS

Needed a new GPS that was straight-forward, inexpensive and easy to use. The Nuvi 50 meets all of these requirements, coupled with a lifetime (of the GPS, not yours) map. In particular, my wife wanted a simple to use GPS that just got her from a to b without a whole lot of bells and whistles. I was able to get just the model, with the large screen so it's easier to see, for a very competitive price at No Frills, who delivered very promptly and did a follow up inquiry to make sure everything was okay.
Easy to use - intuitive, large screen, competitively priced

BrianW51

I haven't struck a problem, but maybe I'm just not really noticing if it's there. I don't think they have the ads though, even though I haven't done an update for some time, it all seemed pretty smooth.

See all Garmin nüvi Essential Series reviews

Kaluah

Kaluahasked

nüvi 50

How much are Hawaii maps? Garmin website won't tell me. They seem to want you to already own a unit, plug it in and order before they tell you how much something is - not conducive to buying something when an extra cost is a (probably nasty) surprise.

SambOz

No idea re Hawaii maps Kaluah, sorry but I'm in Aus. Maps and updates here were part of the deal at purchase.

Klinky

Sorry, as previous answer, can't help as I'm also in Oz and got the same map and update deal with the purchase.

Aussie

Aussieasked

nüvi 50

Does the 50 have a kiwi accent like the 40?

Klinky

Go to their website and have a look at the downloadable voices ..... I wouldn't know a Kiwi from a Tasmanian.

Joco

Jocoasked

nüvi 50

How does the carrier face fit into the ball, the ball is attached to the sucker to put on windscreen. It came in two parts but it doesn't seem to fit! Is there a trick?

Klinky

Just use some force and it snaps in.

Compare all 15 Garmin nüvi Essential Series