Garnier Olia
See the Best Hair Dyes in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Brand Manager for Garnier? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

Awful

Red roots and too dark ends. Neither colour like the picture on the box. Not happy. My hair is mid to dark brown and the whole lot seems to have gone really dark but I have red roots. Terrible. Off to buy clarifying shampoo hope it works :(

Purchased in September 2021 at Superdrug for $6.00.

Ease of Application

Didn't cover the grey roots

I used the product as directed but the grey roots are still there. And according to their instructions, I can't use it for another 4-6 weeks! Not happy the grey wasn't covered and not happy to wait so long to re-apply.

Purchased for $9.00.

Kimberley W.
Kimberley W.Southwest, VIC

Product left my hair dry and limp

I tried Garnier Olia 4.62 Dark Garnet Red recently. The colour is lovely, but the product itself, left my hair dry and in some areas, limp. My hair is naturally curly. It's taken almost a week for my hair's moisture and curl to return. The product needs some sort of protector or bond repair added to help nourish, repair and protect the hair during the colouring process. The developer that comes with the product is too strong, which is also partly to blame. The packet says the developer contains 90ml/ml hydrogen peroxide, which indicates it is 30 vol developer. This strength is too strong for regular colouring. 20 vol developer is all that's needed.

Purchased in July 2021 for $14.99.

didn't cover grey hair

I bought 2 sets of dark brown hair dye. The first time it didn't cover the grey hair. I thought it might be my fault. Second time it's the same. Very disappoint.

Purchased in March 2021 at Woolworths for $20.00.

Find out how Garnier Olia compares to other Hair Dyes

Flat color and immediate damage

I followed each step, watch the time and when I washed it out my hair felt dry as hell the color was flat, no shine and scalp it is horrifying.

Stay away from this grand, it will wreck your hair

I know I am gonna need a trip to the salon now.

Ugh,, sooooo disappointing

Purchased in August 2021 for $8.99.

MEA
MEAGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Rash on arm, stomach and back after use.

I have previously used this product for 2 years after not seeing a hairdresser during covid lock down.

Had no issues until today. Developed a raised rash on my arm, stomach and back immediately after rinsing the colour from my hair.

I have contacted Garnier to confirm if the ingredients gave changed since I first started using the product. Yet to receive a response.

Purchased in June 2021 at Woolworths.

Prior Hair Colour Brown
Side effects Yes

Horrible and damaging, don't buy this.

I used to have long healthy shiny hair before I messed it up with this product, I'm quite Impressed, I have bleached my hair uncountable times and dyed it with many different box dyes and not anything I've done to my hair has ever damaged it the way this did. It's now super dry, no shine whatsoever. I almost wanted to shave it, but ended up cutting half of it. And on top of it, it came out a different color than it should have, it ended up dark red/brown. And now: the top of my head is dark red, and the bottom is light brown. The red bit just won't fade off, not even hair stylists can fix it. Absolutely terrible, please trust me and don't buy this ever, save your money and hair!

Purchased in March 2021 for $8.62.

Ease of Application

How to use box dye to colour your hair at home like a pro

If your regular cut and colour appointment is on hold, or if you just want to change up your look while saving some money, we’ve got a handy little guide to help you dye your own hair at home to make your hairdresser proud.

Clara V.
Clara V.17 Aug 2021
how-to-use-box-dye-to-colour-your-hair-at-home-like-a-pro
CandyFairy
CandyFairyDarling Downs, QLD

Permanent Colour & Shine!

I have naturally dark brown hair and being 37, quite a few greys! I used this on my lightened hair and it was fantastic. It gave the more beautiful deep dark down shade better than my natural shade and my hair was SO shiny afterwards, best hair dye ever!

Hair Dye and Color are Great - New Packaging is Horrible

Purchased in January 2021 for $10.00.

Hair is so damaged:(

Purchased in December 2020 at superdrug for $6.00.

Ease of Application

Horrendous swelling on face and eyes

First use with this just returned from clinic with severe swollen eyes, forehead and temples. Never seen anything like it always used colours with ammonia thought this would be better, terrifying waking up with this reaction. Be careful with this.

Purchased in December 2020.

Prior Hair Colour Blonde

Gloves that won't fit

A good product using oils instead of chemicals and leaves a nice smell HOWEVER its let down by the extra small gloves that will only fit my 5 year old granddaughter. I end up with product all over my hands because I can't use the gloves

Purchased in November 2020 for $15.00.

Find out how Garnier Olia compares to other Hair Dyes

Much darker than box shade

Naturally shade on box, but this dye within 6 minutes begun turning my white hair very dark -- much darker than the box shade. Scary how quickly it turned very dark. Do not recommend.

Purchased in November 2020.

Fobbed
FobbedSouth East Queensland, QLD

Nightmare packaging

The first issue is the grey coverage. It doesn't do a thing in the prescribed time so I left the tint on for extra few minutes that resulted the colour over-developing to black everywhere else but the roots where it remained kind of orangey-brown. The second issue is the packaging: with osteoarthritis in the hands, it's impossible to squeeze the stuff out of the slippery over-sized (to look more) and rigid plastic container, so I have to cut the end off with a scissor and scoop the developer cream out with a pop stick. The gloves are very slippery too and one pair is not enough. When it's on sale for half price I still buy it because it doesn't contain ammonia, smells nice and the conditioner makes my wrong colour hair shiny at least.

Purchased in November 2020 at Coles for $11.00.

Pink joke

Thank goodness we are in lockdown I wouldn’t like to be seen in public with this awful colour that looks like I have done it for a bet. I am in my 70s but have a young image. My hair has come out a pale shade of lilac so you can imagine that I now look like a member of the blue-rinse set. It was supposed to be very light beige blonde. I recommend you avoid this hair colourant like the plague. Rubbish! As for does my hair shine well it’s totally irrelevant.

Purchased in November 2020.