Ikea Karlstad

See the Best Sofas & Recliners in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Smell made me sick

We purchased this couch 10 months ago. It still smells strongly, despite airing it out well.
The chemical smell hurts my throat and gives me a headache if I sit on it.
Other family members aren’t as badly affected but no one enjoys sitting on it as it is not comfortable, the cushions started to slope very soon after purchase.
I can’t recommend this couch to anyone unfortunately, due to the smell and chemical odour.

Date PurchasedMar 2018

Uncomfortable, especially for the price

It’s my own fault I guess for not testing out the couch more prior to buying, but after owning it a couple of years it’s just no good, very uncomfortable and unsupportive.

Date PurchasedSep 2015

Comfy couch

This has been our couch for many many years and you just cant kill it. We have younger children and it has stayed stong through all they have thrown at it! i would recommend buying just about anything from ikea!

Love it

We purchased a Karlstad sofa with chaise a couple of years ago and we love it. Very comfy to sit on, the cushions still have their same shape and it really doesn't even need "fluffing" up. We ended up buying a different lounge for the other room and I'm regretting it. Should have saved the difference and just bought another Karlstad. The washable covers are a bit of a pain to get off so I wouldn't be washing them every week but with kids it's great to know you CAN wash them. Some covers do say dry clean only though so check which one you're getting.

Great sofa for a great price

I owned a Karlstad sofa for 3 years but had to leave it behind when I moved back to Australia after living abroad. It was the best sofa I ever owned. We had lots of houseguests who would sleep on it as it makes a decent bed if you remove the two back cushions. I also loved that I could turn the cushions around or flip them over to hide any stains and to even out the wear so that no lumps or sags form (many sofas have plain fabric on the bottom side of the cushion which don't allow for this). And with two little ones who would sit, jump, play, eat and at times even be sick or do an accidental wee on it, I regularly pulled off the cover and threw it into the washing machine on a delicate wash and it came out looking brand new (even though the instructions say not to!). Now we're looking to buy a sofa for our new house and I've been to at least ten different stores - some of them selling IKEA-quality furniture but at massively inflated prices. I am seriously considering buying another Karlstad and replacing the timber legs (which make it look a little cheap) with metal ones.
Great price, comfortable and sturdy
Timber legs make it look a little cheap

Sensible living room sofa

This is a practical down to earth sofa that's also very comfortable. Assembly is really easy, and the firmness hits the sweet spot for me. The seat back might be slightly too far from the edge for shorter customers, but for me it's perfect. Not as versatile as its sofa bed sister but personally I don't want heavy and dodgy moving parts in my sofa that will probably start squeaking in a few months. A nice, modern look as well. A sensible no nonsense sofa that's reasonably priced.
Reasonably priced, comfortable

Cheap but not nasty

Got the 2 seater Karlstad with Chaise longue in lovely blue/beige flower fabric pictured. Apart from the pain of assembly (and putting on the velcro covers) it's a great sturdy couch and fabric is tough enough to cope with our 2 young sons. The cushions are very firm which I like and seat depth good for the tall people in our family. Only had it a few months but very happy with it and think we will have it for a long time!
inexpensive, hardwearing and sturdy
assembly/putting on the velcro covers

Good

We chose Ikea after looking in sofa shops and feeling dismayed about prices. We tried most of the sofas at Ikea and chose this one for several reasons: it's long so my tall husband can lie on it, the cushions are fairly firm and the models in the store seemed in good shape even though lots of customers sit on them. We bought it 6 months ago. The back cushions are quite sturdy and have kept their shape so far. The seat cushions are still in good shape with no sagging. we haven't tried washing the cover yet.
Lots of colour choices, more affordable than most sofa shop products, large for a two-seater, washable cover seems to be keeping its shape, not too soft.
The seats are very deep from front to back, so I need a cushion behind me to support my back.