RC.I, RA, RC.II
See the Best Utes in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Listing monitored by Isuzu

Expert Review

D-MAX X-Terrain

Check out our in-depth expert review of the best Isuzu has to offer; the 2021 D-MAX X-Terrain. Our article and accompanying video take you through everything you need to know about one of Australia's most popular 4x4 utes.

Read Now

D-MAX SX

The base model D-MAX has plenty to offer. We gave the D-MAX SX a full write-up and put everything you need to see on video so you can decide if this 4x2 ute is right for you.

Read Now

tdock86Greater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Cracked inner guard. Twice in 12 months

Purchased in April 2017.

MickPerth, WA

Best ute I have ever owned

Purchased in August 2009 for $26,308.00.

Nick SHunter Region, NSW

Quite disappointing for a 2016 vehicle.

Purchased in June 2018 at Isuzu Mebourne for $40,000.00.

christo
christoPerth, WA

Twin cab with canopy 2014 4wd auto SX

Bought for 27000 at about 130000kms done a couple of years ago.About 13000 cheaper than GX diesel Prado. 5spd auto 3 litre turbo diesel.Isuzu canopy .Rated 3500kgs towing but will have 1.2 tonne camper trailer Honestly use 9,2 litres per 100.I’d say between 800 to 900km range on 76 litre tank ( not towing).Very happy with it

Purchased in January 2019 for $27,000.00.

Our Latest Expert Car Reviews

Cameron S.
Cameron S.12 Jan 2021
our-latest-expert-car-reviews
jasmoonee
jasmooneeMid North Coast, NSW

Test drive first

Purchased in November 2020.

TransmissionAutomatic
Bill Coombe
Bill CoombeHunter Region, NSW

Steering fails at 50 kph !

I purchased my brand new Isuzu Dmax on 16th October 2020.
On the 2nd December 2020, I was driving at 50 kph, when the electric steering failed, and I veered, out of control, onto the wrong side of the road. Extremely dangerous.
The response offered by Isuzu was appalling (with the exception of Dan, the excellent Service Manager at Taree Isuzu).
So my summary is that the Dmax is a good vehicle, let down by disgusting service.

Purchased in October 2020 for $50,000.00.

neil g
neil gGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Now they tell me ......Isuzu big trouble .....

Well this looks like trouble !!! First springs rear broken well its going to be the Ute to bet the rest tops at towing will out run Toyota big fail ...... Now Turbo out it goes and only 13000Klms and 4 mths old well what will be next maybe a trade-in to a real ute at Hi Lux ... should of listened

Purchased in June 2020 at Mornington .

Marc
MarcGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Wow. What a ute.

Just bought my first max. 2015 ls-u high ride 60000km.
Still looks like new inside and out. 3 lt turbo desiel drives great.
Used for work daily and towing motorbikes on the weekend.
Love it.

Purchased in October 2020 at Genesis isuzu for $29,000.00.

Joseph
JosephSydney Surrounds, NSW

What a lemon

I took a new D'max for a test run and what a piece of rubbish. the manual gearbox is still faulty as it crunches when going from first to second and second to third when cold. This is a problem with the previous models and Isuzu refuse to fix it. Also the consul between the seats is too high and my elbow hits it when trying to go around a corner. The suspension is still the same as previous models so therefore is unable to carry the stated load. Also the brakes are the same as previous so wont pull up the vehicle when fully loaded. Do not know how it received a 5 star safety rating. I suppose if you drive it MT and run into a concrete block then it may be ok but who does that.
Joseph

Purchased in December 2018 for $50,000.00.

Lisa
LisaPerth, WA

Crap car

Faulty Bought 2 brand new Izuzu vehicles last year. D-Max and Mux. Mix all good. D-Max a freaking lemon! Was recalled for rear suspension. Dealership has stuffed me around constantly. My windows stopped working and they don't even have the parts to fix it. Car used 4l of oil between 1st and 2nd service and it has a rattle in engine bay that sounds like a bunch of loose bearings. After sale care non existent! Would not recommend Izuzu to anyone!! No after sale service.

Purchased in August 2019 for $50,500.00.

Justin
JustinSydney Surrounds, NSW

Isuzu D Max - DONT TRUST IT, what’s going wrong with it next?

Purchased in December 2017.

Hasnt let me down

Bought my 2011 Dmax second hand in 2013. Fuel economy is great. Never had any issues other than needing a new clutch after burning the original out on our driveway lugging trailer loads of pavers out in a trailer. Its now done 190,000km and hasnt let me down. Ive had loads of different trucks over the years and isuzu have been the most reliable ive found.

Purchased for $26.00.

ardy01
ardy01

Great truck apart from minor issues

Hi bought this in late 2017 to replace a Toyota Hilux I had owned for 10 years.
When I first test drove it I bought it. Suited me perfectly.
Only 2 issues one is important to me the other not so much.
1. The bluetooth connection to my phone is almost unusable, so I have a separate unit to make calls etc. This means I have an AUX cable to play music from my phone but that doesn't always work. It's a PITA.
2. Turn off the radio and the road noise is quite bad. This is a minor issue for me.
It's done 60ks with no issues. Great truck.

Purchased in September 2017 at Online for $35,000.00.

Linda
Linda Illawarra, NSW

Tappet cover removal

Has anyone had trouble removing the tappet cover as mine is stuck and don’t want to force it. I have a 2010 Isuzu DMax 3 lt. Any recommendations for loosening it would be great don’t want to crack it.

Purchased in January 2010.

TransmissionManual

Read more reviews - page 2

Gudge asked
D-MAX RC.I (2012-2016)

Is the 2016 Dmax a great 4x4

tdock86

Bit too broad of a question sorry Gudge. Depends on what your comparing it with and what your using it for. The clearance isn’t great, the only traction aids off road are a terrible outdated traction control system. No rear limited slip differential or locking diffs. Reliable engine but probably the least torque (380Nm) of its class for the year. I’ve owned a 2017 (430Nm) since new, modified the hell out of it (diff locks, canopy etc) taken a lot of places including NSW, NT but mostly VIC high country and I wouldn’t go near Isuzu again. Poor build quality, average performance for premium price and disgusting customer service if anything goes pear shaped. Reliable engine though so they say

Thanks ill stay way

Dan
Danasked
D-MAX

Hey everyone. I just tried to start my Dmax and nothing... I'd uses the central locking to get in fine. I check the battery and and it is full. 2 minutes later I started the car without issue, but everything has reset. It gets driven everyday with out issue. Any ideas what it might be?

Nick S

Haven't had that issue - but every so often my central locking 'goes to lunch' then when it's ready all normal again - no fault codes, no idea.

Jane
Janeasked
D-MAX

Wondering what gear is best for towing a van

Nick S

Hi Jane, for safe reliable towing under all reasonably foreseeable circumstances I would firstly upgrade the entire dmax suspension package - seek advice from reputable sources, secondly fit a quality electric brake controller such as a Redarc tow pro elite and don't forget tires, name brand with good load rating - if you haven't already ditched the standard crap round black things that somehow pass for tires do so before any serious towing.
A trailer/van mounted reversing camera is no longer a luxury either - quite affordable now and can be a great help.
And forget the so called legal tow capacity of 3.5 tonnes - too heavy.

Mick

I usually just use a tow bar

Get an answer from our members and Isuzu representatives

Compare all 11 Isuzu D-MAX
CategoryUtesUtesUtesUtes
Starting Price $38,513$53,369$51,097$55,230
TransmissionAutomaticAutomaticAutomatic and ManualAutomatic and Manual
Drive TypeRear Wheel Drive (RWD)Rear Wheel Drive (RWD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)
Fuel TypeDieselDieselDieselDiesel
Wheels16" Steel17" Alloy16" Alloy17" Alloy
ANCAP Safety Rating5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars
Doors 2 to 442 to 42 to 4
Seats 2 to 552 to 54 to 5
Fuel Consumption7.7 L/100km7.7 L/100km7.9 L/100km7.9 L/100km
Fuel Tank Capacity 76 L76 L76 L76 L
Engine4 Cylinder 3.0L Turbo Diesel4 Cylinder 3.0L Turbo Diesel4 Cylinder 3.0L Turbo Diesel4 Cylinder 3.0L Turbo Diesel
Engine Code4JJ1-TCX4JJ1-TCX4JJ1-TC4JJ1-TC
Max Power140kW @ 3600 rpm140kW @ 3600 rpm130kW @ 3600rpm130kW @ 3600rpm
Max Torque450Nm @ 1600-2600 rpm450Nm @ 1600-2600 rpm430Nm @ 2000-2200rpm430Nm @ 2000-2200rpm
Country of ManufactureThailandThailandThailandThailand
Maximum Towing Capacity (braked)3,500 kg3,500 kg3,500 kg3,500 kg
Maximum Towing Capacity (unbraked)750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg
Tray TypeCab Chassis and Pick UpPick UpCab Chassis and Pick UpPick Up
Cab Options Dual, Extra and SingleDualDual, Extra and SingleDual and Extra
Maximum Payload1,300 kg1,040 kg1,034 kg1,029 kg
Ground Clearance225 mm235 mm225 mm235 mm
Manufacturer Warranty6 year(s)6 year(s)6 year(s)6 year(s)
Dimensions