Isuzu D-MAX

See the Best Utes in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Isuzu d max

My husband bought an Isuzu d max in 2013.
What a Ute. We use it for work and play.
We tow our 14ft Caravan with ease. A very comfortable 4wd to travel in.

Purchased in March 2013 at Hyundi gympie.

Year2013
Comfort

Noisy when dling bluetooth phone talk.

Use for work, a lot of 4wding and Highway. average 50k per year.
Bluetooth is really bad everyone that I am talking to, they all complain. Diesel noise is loud too in the cabin.

Purchased in July 2017.

Uncomfortable, slow and noisy

Seriously uncomfortable. I do long driving and this Ute is the worse vehicle for comfort. The engine is hideously noisy and the transmission is terribly slow. The engine is horribly noisy and underpowered. The road noise is dreadful. The ride will make you feel sick on poor rod surfaces. Other than that it is a great car : /

Purchased in June 2019.

Year2019
Comfort

It's got its good points and not so good

When people call it an honest workhorse, they mean devoid of creature comforts and rough as guts. And maybe tough. Which closely describes my 2016 D-Max LS.
I have had mine for three years now since brand new.
Its attributes?
No recalls, no major issues or breakdowns, all issues are due to its character.
Jumping right in: It really likes to rev before changing gears unless you are Sunday driving. In reality, the useable torque seems between 2400 and 3000rpm. It does not make sense why the ECU/ECT allows it to frequently rev past 3000rpm before changing gears. It becomes quite raucous and it feels like you are flogging the engine. Like going to a karaoke party while sober, lots of unwanted sound and quite annoying, and wondering why on earth did you do it. The engine has useable torque between 2400 and 3000 rpm and it 100% does not need to rev past this. It does not have power or economy mode and sits on 2200rpm at 110km/hr, the speedometer is out by 9km/hr at this speed.
The cruise control does not have memory. Yup, you get up to speed, push buttons and done but only as long as you are moving. Come to a stop and the cruise control erases your current cruise setting. There is no memory retention. So you have to get up to speed again, press buttons again, rinse, repeat. Ship gets old pretty quick.
The stereo is a LCD dot matrix display. Not worth any mention. Radio has noise, dealer not able to fix. It has Bluetooth but with a poopy display like it has, forget redialling, quick search, last number dialled, missed calls, using cortana or siri is not an option, etc. it just doesn’t have it. You would be a menace on the road if you used Bluetooth to make calls while driving as it takes all of you attention.
Power steering. It is the hardest power steering to turn, bar none. They should call it non power steering. It takes a lot of effort to turn the steering wheel even while driving, and almost impossible to turn when parking. I have talked to my mechanic to see if there is any tweaks possible to reduce the effort required to turn this blasted thing, like increasing the power steering pump flow etc., and he laughed at me, told me that’s a bonus D-Max feature and to suck it up princess. I have since been directing my energies into extra training, exerting more effort into increased reps of bench presses and bicep curls, and the gains have been impressive. After years of targeted training I have successfully increased my upper body strength, I kid you not. Also, the steering seems to take slightly less effort now, I wonder why.
Even though the D-Max has no standard traction aids like diff lock etc., it is very capable off road. I do it once a week, just ditch the factory tyres, they are not safe, they even squealed around low speed corners. New better tyres made a huge difference. Also don’t reverse while off roading. You will rip off those eye-lashy long mud flaps in a flash as they get caught reversing.
The D-Max has very good articulation off road, very good traction, I have used low range only once and I travel very very rough off roads. The engine has ample torque for this, quite well suited, actually.
It has a well laid out dash, it is low and curved and very easy to look over, you do not feel vertically challenged as the dash is not too high to look over. Unlike other utes in the same class where the dash is intimidatingly in your face. And it is all hard and plasticky, perfect for a work ute as it still looks new after every wipe down, no marks or scratches. The fit and finish is perfect, no loose panels, no gaps, no squeaks and rattles even after three years of off road use. Come to think of it, there are no squeaks or rattles anywhere, inside or outside this ute, at all. I would say that the finishing on these utes is perfect.
Average litres per 100 kilometres has been 11.5 litres per 100kms from new till date, includes highway driving, suburban driving and off road once a week. I know this because I reset it brand new as I drove off the lot at 25 kms on the clock and never reset it again, 55,000k’s later.
It has a great ride, not too soft and not too hard, unlike some of the class leading utes which are way too firm. Back seats are full size and have good leg room.
Service at Isuzu takes a whole day so be prepared to lose it for a day each service. But they do seem to pay attention to the mechanical bits that require maintenance.
I love the ventilation controls. Simple, mechanical dials. You get what you dial. The AC compressor does not kick in every time you hit the defrost button, nor does it automatically turn off recirc air every time you hit another button (and you start wondering why there is an exhaust gas smell inside the car from cars in front). I like its simplicity and that it does exactly what I want it to and not what it thinks I should have, dictated by a computer programmer who thinks they know better than me about my AC.
It has a tow bar but I don’t tow or load it up too much so I have nothing to tell here. Loads in the back doesn’t affect the handling or power, the D-Max takes it in its stride.
There, done. Would I buy one? If I was buying for drivers who break things then yes, this thing seems unbreakable. And because they would be too tired to break anything anyway after wrestling with the hard steering.
Would I buy one for myself? Most definitely not. Why not? Because the good does not outweigh the mediocre in this case. Engine needlessly revs too high, setting the cruise control ten times per drive is, well, I’m over it, and, Hercules’ casual rates would be too high for me to afford just to turn the steering wheel for me. It may sound like minor concerns to you but try living with it seven days a week and then you tell me

Purchased in April 2016 at Isuzu Dealers for $40,000.00.

Year2016

Disappointed

We purchased a new Isuzu D-Max in good faith during November 2017 (with a three year loan repayment plan) for our farm where we grow cereal crops and run sheep. It is used daily in the paddocks and on both sealed and gravel roads. Tows a trailer when required. Regular servicing and well maintained. In April 2019 noticed a knocking noise the front passenger side and delivered it to the Dealership on the 8/5/19 to have this checked out. Our D-Max was deemed unroadworthy. It took Isuzu Australia until the 4/6/19 to admit liability and have our vehicle repaired under warranty. The radiator support panel wheel arch and skirt assembly are severely cracked as the metal appears not strong enough. And as of today the 8/7/19 after TWO MONTHS our vehicle is still totally dismantled in the Repair shop awaiting parts. We sent a letter of complaint to Customer Support on 2/7/19 and have received NO reply. We are just so disappointed with Isuzu Australia and their so called warranty. No Compensation and a lack of communication by Customer Support. Our Ute is one of the main vehicles on our property and we are at an extreme disadvantage without. This is just NOT good enough.

Purchased in November 2017.

Just great stuff

Now on my seventh Isuzu 4wd ute.

Just a real honest workhorse.

Great on fuel and great in boggy sand, even with a boat hanging off the back (gotta get the tyre pressure spot on though).

I know that luck is part of the game with any car and I sympathize with anyone who has had problems.

(Had 2 wb holden utes...................one did 400,000 k's and still ran like new........the other blew up at 150,000.........hey go figure that out)

Purchased in December 2018 for $40,800.00.

Dmax Auto

I have had two Isuzu Dmax's one manual and one auto. My manual towed a 3t caravan and I sold it at 150000km with the same clutch and brakes from new. The second which I still own is a 2014 Xrunner auto has a 5 speed automatic transmission which has done 115000km and I have never had a problem towing the same van. If you leave it in auto mode you should not get an overheat on your transmission towing. Let it choose the gear it wants to tow in and you will find it works great and the ECU learns. I tow my van a lot and at 90000km I had a transmission shop service it and he said it is good and the oil was only a bit cloudy. I added an Elocker for towing off road which I would like as an option and just recently upgraded my suspension. Both Dmax's have been great tow vehicles.

Purchased in June 2014 for $48,000.00.

Year2014
Comfort

Is the D-Max a genuine tradesman type vehicle

Brought a 2015 D-Max Space Cab with alloy tray as a replacement for my 2010 PK Ranger (still the most reliable 4WD I have ever owned). The D Max is fitted with a steel bull bar (dealer fitted) and from day one vibrated. The whiplash was so violent when you hit rough roads that it snapped off 2 High Gain mobile aerials attached the bull bar mounting. The dealer has never been able to resolve the issue. In my opinion I think the steel bull bar is too heavy for the front suspension. Solved the issue of the High Gain aerial by shifting it to a fender mount. The next issue was the whole passenger side of the vehicle developed a 30mm lean. The dealer initially claimed that the vehicle was not loaded correctly. Put the vehicle on a weigh bridge and the loadings on front and rear axles were within the specifications and the total vehicle weight was at 72% loading. (tray rated at 1000kg). Rearranged the load (vehicle has a constant tray load of about 600kg) to no avail. Dealer could not resolve. Vehicle developed a vibration through out the drive chain that even at idle the bull bar and spotlights shuddered. Despite investigations it was never resolved. The vehicle has travelled 140,000km now and the motor is starting to shown signs of getting a little tired. The blue tooth connection is also failing despite a request to the dealer to investigate which was never resolved.
Despite its shortcomings it has always had a good fuel consumption (approx 10l / 100km) and the ride is very comfortable. The space cab area is quite surprising in how much equipment you can fit.
If you are looking a smart looking ute that sits on the driveway from Monday to Friday looking good then go camping / fishing or bush bashing on the weekends then it would suit your needs perfectly. As a hard working tradie ute carrying a constant load maybe not so.

Purchased in March 2016 for $40,000.00.

Year2015

BUYING A NEW D-MAX SX SPACE CAB UTE

It was obvious that Doug at Harrison Isuzu believed in the product he was selling, listened to our questions and was very helpful in the lead up to our eventual purchase of our new D-MAX SU ute.

Purchased in March 2019.

Year2018
Comfort

Nothing to write home about

I brought my MUX early 2017 (Auto) after previously owning 2 D Max's, (Manuals). If I don't start the car at least once in 2 to 3 days it takes about a dozen pushes of the start button. Transmission lousy. Trading at the end of the year.

Purchased in February 2017.

Comfort

3 months and counting. What a joke. You buy a new ute so you dont have problems. Not happy

Hi i haven't even had my ute for more than two years yet and it been sitting at the dealer for the last 3 months. It continues to go into limp mode when you first start it in the mornings. They still cant give me answers to why this is occurring. I can't believe that with technology they have these days, you would think that the problem could be found. Izuzu Australia haven't even had the courtesy to call me back. It shows that they just want your money when you purchase a vehicle. But when there's a problem they dont care if it jeopardises you're likely hood. I really on my ute. But i can't really on izuzu

Purchased in May 2017 for $50,000.00.

Updating previous post.

Further to previous listing of serious problems with 2017 6 spd auto not changing properly when towing, and overheating transmission light coming on if in manual mode etc, last years trip towing same caravan, well within weight ratings, proved to be more like should be, even using 5th gear instead of going straight from 4th to 6th. 3 Isuzu dealerships failed to find a problem, and blamed the driver. Last trip vehicle had reached 16.000km before setting out. Still has overheating light problem, but returned a burn rate of 15 ltrs per 100km instead of the previous trip of 16.5. Still, when travelling without trailer using cruise control, vehicle constantly changing from 6th to 4th on shortest and slightest rises.
Hope this is helpful.

Purchased in June 2017.

d max

hi, the isuzu d max 2016 model it is tuff and rough not a family 4x2 or 4x4. i tow for living 5000 km a week ,i did 250000 km before i got some very bad fuel and the motor went bang. one thing that i learnt about dmax push them hard ,change oil/ filter at 15000 k ,auto 30000k diff 30000k

BadgeSX High Ride
Bodyspace cab
CabSpace Cab
Date PurchasedMar 2017

Isuzu canopy

the Isuzu canopy is no good , after 3 years the side glass on the r h side of lift up window started to come out of holder, Isuzu would not fix it as canopy is warranted for 3 years or 100,000 km, the repairer told me the frame is buckled and needed a new one. so I will have to keep window closed.not good enough when vehicle is 5 years warranty ,I had it back to Isuzu a few times to stop it leaking .

BadgeLS-U
Date PurchasedDec 2015

Tough

Without doubt the most genuine workhorse out there , if you want refinement get an Amarock , if you want reliability and an engine capable of 600k , D Max all the way , I had the first one 240k still on original clutch , rotors and only replaced pads once towing 3 ton regularly.

BadgeLS
BodyUte
Date PurchasedAug 2009
Drive4WD

Great Outback vehicle, simply great.

We use the Dmax as our only car. We have altered it slightly by adding a canopy and a few extras for outback travelling. But we also use it for normal driving as it is a four door and it is quite comfortable. It is economical on fuel, even when towing a Caravan offroad. It is a great workhorse and will go where many other trucks breakdown. The price is better than a few other vehicles in the same range and it also has a capped service for 5 years. We have had no problems with it and although large it is a dream to drive.

Badge48000
BodyUte
Date PurchasedMar 2017
Drive4WD

Quite simply a great ute...

Bought mine at 60 000ks old. From original owner in absolute immaculate condition.

It's now done 104 000ks. I do about 1000 ks a week, with approx a 600kgs load, and absolutely 0 major issues to report. Which was my main reason for picking the dmax. Reliability.

I will now list some of the annoying relatively small faults with it:

Suspension is crap with a load. It's obviously built for comfort. But by 100 000ks mine were truly sagged (inverted) and even before that it was "floaty". Recently had that replaced with aftermarket and it's now awesome.

The Bluetooth handsfree is terrible. Other people struggle to hear you. Oneday, I may look at an aftermarket headunit.

And thats about it really. Interior is holding up really well, looks brand new really, when I clean it. No unusual noises/rattles or anything starting to appear. Very happy.

I'll be sure to keep servicing it regularly and from what I've experienced so far, and seen from others with higher K utes, I expect to get at least 400 000ks of relatively trouble free motoring out of this ute.

BadgeLS-M
Date PurchasedFeb 2018

Love it! Great ute for this price range

My D-Max ute is the 2018 space cab 4x4 auto tray back – the one with rear wing doors for the back. It’s my new work truck. For a work truck, I think it’s a beauty! It has a solid feel to it on the road, goes and stops well, and is nice to drive for a ute. The power is fine, and being auto it’s easy to drive and better suited to the diesel than a manual gearbox in my opinion. I’m averaging 8.3 litres per 100kms and that includes commuting in heavy traffic, and then general driving, but no towing or loads. It’s easy to see out of, and my truck has a rear camera (essential) and a rear window demister. Some spec sheets say these are not fitted to the base model so check this out when you buy one. The stereo is fairly basic, and there is no GPS or Apple connectivity other than Bluetooth. Cruise is fine, as are the other controls. Disappointingly, it doesn’t show the outside temperature, minor I know but I miss that. The front seats have come in for some criticism and although I find it comfortable to sit in, I do find it uncomfortable after an hour of driving. The back seats, or jump seats, would suit people who you don’t want to talk to again! But, they’re legal for adults to sit in so compared to walking they’re still handy. Best thing is that’s where all your gear goes. One thing though, you have to close the front doors pretty firmly due to the movement in the rear opening doors – there’s no pillar of course. If I were in the market for a dual cab 4x4 then this would take some beating for the price.

BadgeSX
Date PurchasedApr 2018

Verry happy

I was advised by a few mecanics that the dmax was the best for the price a verry robust and economic diesel iv kept mine well servised and iv had no problems with it at all i get verry good econamy and the extra large tray gives as mutch space as a larger 4x4 the rear springs seam low but that is for ease of loading lifting fence post ect saves liftling so high and the springs take a lot of load and still ride well and handlewell but a rear lift looks better and gives better of road clearance verry practical ute

BadgeSX Farm Mate
CabSingle Cab
Date PurchasedMay 2014
Drive4WD

Best truck on the market

These vehicles are built to last,I know of allot of farmers who had Rodeos and ran them around for 10-20 years in the paddock so to speak, with minimal problems.
The D Max is basically the same thing.I regularly tow 3 tonne trailer and its still good on fuel.
currently at 60000km after 2years .

BadgeLS-U