Kia Rio

UB, JB, DC, YB

53 questions from our users

Not Happy Camperasked

Rio

Hi my daughter purchased a new Kia Rio in October 2020 and the engine is Pinging and they can't seem to fix it. She is using the correct 91 fuel and not E10. We've been told by customer service that there are other RIO's doing it as well and they cant explain why, it just seems to be a fault. They just said to use 95 until they find a fix but this is against the manufacturers recommendations. Were worried about the long term engine damage that is being caused. Anyone else got the same problem?

Peter S

Pinging is most likely due to crappy fuel. Try using 91 instead of E10. The other option is that there is a sensor that is giving bad fuel/air ratios back to the computer "or" the computer has an issue.

Not Happy Camper

She has always used 91 and never used the crapy E10. They have tried 4 times now to fix it doing engine tests and fuel samples and don't seem to be able to. The customer service department let slip that there a number of other Rio's in the same model doing it as well and they cant explain why? They suggested we run it on 95 or 98 which is against the manufacturers recommendations until they geta fix?

Peter S

I'm getting like 10.5L per 100km which is not great. My Ford Escape uses 10L per 100km and it has twice the horsepower (turbo) and is 500kg heavier....if you only have had it for a short time you could try another dealer and then go to the ACCC.

Robyn

Robynasked

Rio

I have a problem when braking the car creaks it only happens after the car warms up. Coukd it be worn rotors?

Mikeyg

Mikeygasked

YB S Automatic (2016-2021)

Has anyone had dash vibration noise, I have two Kia Rios 2016 & 2019 models both have dash vibrations.

Michael G.asked

Jeremy W

I'll take it back that shouldn't be happening that young there a 7 year warranty

Michael G.

I have it booked in again this week. Fingers crossed they can fix it.

Michael G.

Took my car back today. They finally found the vibration in the driver side vanity mirror in the sun visor. They are ordering a new sun visor for me. I am very greatful because it was driving me insane.

angel.manchestercity41

Yes it has a 5 star ANCAP safety rating

No thank you

No thank youasked

Rio

My Kia Rio is 5 yrs old I've been told by my dealer that I need to replace brake pads and rotors, I've only done 67 thou on it, i did 120 thou on my old Holden VL before I had to replace them, am I being rolled by my dealer and how much does it cost you think?

rotten ronnie

rotten ronnieasked

Rio

my wifes car is a kia rio she got it new and looks after it what is happening now is sometimes you go to start the car and it will turn over but not fire take out the key for about 30 seconds and try again sometimes it will fire other times it wont I have had it towed a couple of times and next thing it started and drove off the truck other times I have left it for a couple of days and nothing then 5 minutes it will fire and not play up for a week or more I have had it to kia in Bendigo it cost me $180.00 and they told me they could not fix it as we live out of town we need our car hope somebody can help
ronnie

rotten ronnie

rotten ronnieasked

Rio

I have a problem with my wifes kia rio she has had it for about 11 years and it is the best car she has ever owned the problem is that we are having trouble starting it it can be good for days and then plays up the motor will spin over and no fire you can try for 1 more time and it may start alright other than that you just don't know it will start i have had to leave to leave it until after work and it started first touch of the key I havehad to have it towed home twice but it started first time when they were takeing off of the truck as we live 30 ks from town she needs a realiable car and if nobody can fix it I will have to give it to the kids to drive around the paddock I took it Bendigo kia dealers they charged me $180.00 to look at it and said they couldn/t fix it hopefully someone can help
ronnie

Norm Gale

Norm Galeasked

Rio

I have a Kia Rio 08 and I am wondering if any one knows what the maximum travel allowed is on the clutch slave cylinder please

lloyd b.

lloyd b.asked

Does a 2005 Kia Rio LS sedan have a fuel warning light

Pabloasked

Rio UB (2011-2016)

2013 SLS 6sd auto. What is the maximum size I can fit to my 17in rims. I am thinking 215/50/R17 to lessen road noise and smooth out the ride.

Patrick
Patrick

Hi
Have you had any luck mate?

Pablo

after warnings about illegal tyre sizes & possible problems with electronics ABS ESC etc I have stayed with the same size. I have fitted 205/45R17 88Y FEDERAL ST1 on DEC 10th. Much more quiet but still a little bumpy. So far so good.

Tony N.

Tony N.asked

Can I use a bkr5ek spark plug in my 2006kia rio

Jimasked

Hi all,

I have a 2009 Kia Rio. Only got 70,000 km on the clock. recently, have found if the car is cold (I.e. been sitting for a day or two without being driven), when it is switched on, it is really, really hard to get into gear - I.e you have to shove it into gear with some force, and at times it makes grinding noises to go with it. Once you get out on the road and drive for a couple of minutes though, it all goes away and the car is fine.

Anyone got some suggestions as to what the problem may be, before I send a mechanic on a wild goose chase?

Cheers

Johnny
Johnny

Needs the clutch adjusted, or the cable has stretched abit...

Jim

Thanks Johnny, much appreciated. Not sure whether you know, but can you explain why it only occurs when the car is cold but is ok once it warms up? We wondered whether there might be a sensor or something playing up, but happy to take your advice on it so that we can get them looking in the right spot at the mechanics :)

Cheryl L.

Cheryl L.asked

Rio UB (2011-2016)

How long should brake pads & rotors last? Is 60,000kms okay?

Jeremy W

Should be double that maybe newer models don't last as long or they cheap pads

Gus

Gusasked

Rio YB (2016-2021)

Time of day not showing on display unit and when I go into set up functions the clock option is greyed out. Any help?
2018 Kia Rio

Shiree G

Shiree Gasked

Rio

Can anyone help me need to know estimate for new timing belt cost on kio rio 2005 hatchback automatic?

Linda

Sorry unable to help with cost probably you could google it.

emmanuelotu

emmanuelotuasked

Rio JB (2005-2011)

Pls I need help my kia Rio 2007 model I bought from someone which was parked fr so longlong, so was getting it fixed to be ready fr drive ,the ecu got burnt and I replaced the ecu then I started driving it but I observed I spent much on fuel ,so I complained to my mechanic, he then serviced the injector nuzzles and bought brand new plugs but yet the plugs are still covered with so much carbon when I drive it and as such it consumes more fuel.the car is not smoking ,good engine, moves well wen the plugs r cleaned.pls I need help on how to fix this problem of having carbon filled plugs? thank you.

Linda

Maybe you could get a gas analyser on the exhaust pipe which should tell you if it’s running rich. Also maybe get some hotter spark plugs. A really good mechanic should be able to sort your problem out.

Marie C

Marie Casked

Rio

Hi, appreciate any feedback, I have a kia rio 2013, recently experiencing loss off power this only happens very early morning. Seems as soon as I try to go up gear car looses power and I have to drop back to lower gear, no warning lights coming on. This has lasted for 15 mins at longest period , then drives fine. Any help greatly appreciated.

Jacqui Hasked

Rio

I have a kia rio 2001 I have just replaced the battery but today found out I have no brake lights. Would it just be a fuse?

pat6769
pat6769

Yes, you should check the fuse first. The access panel is on your right-hand side at knee height when you are in the driver seat. If that does not work you can have a look under the dash board at the brake pedal. Just above the brake pedal is a spring loaded switch that operated the brake lights. The switch is normally white plastic. When you press on the brakes it lets the switch out and that completes a circuit that sends power to the brakes. Stick your head under the dash and push the brake pedal down with your hand to observe the switch is moving out and in. You can then look to see if the wires at the top of the switch have not come off. Next, you can check the actual globes in the rear brakes. I have seen people with two blown brake light globes. If you have someone stand at the rear of the vehicle, press on the brake and see if the middle light is working or not. The one in your back window. They are all powered from the same circuit. So if the middle one still works you can then narrow down the search to most likely faulty globes or possibly a damaged wire in the rear of the car. Check these things first and it may save you a few bucks. Plus you will learn a few things. Hope the information is helpful.

Jacqui H

Hi thank you it ended up being a fuse it was the stop fuse and all working again.

Nat

Natasked

Rio

How trusted are kia Rio 2011 automatic?

Digsy
Digsy

Not sure, we have a 2008 manual.

Kia Rio