Lenovo ThinkPad T Series

See the Best Laptops in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

T430 - Tough, reliable workhorse

I've had a Lenovo T430 as my main home computer for about 5 years and it's been great. Lenovo have continued to provide drivers and bios updates for it, so everything still works with the latest Win 10 64bit.
I love the matte screen, great keyboard, large touchpad and solid build. It has a good cross section of ports and features. My only gripes are the lower edge is a bit sharp and digs into my palm when typing, the fan's a touch loud, and the little light at the top of the screen that's supposed to illuminate the keyboard is useless.

Date PurchasedApr 2012

Really poor design...very frustrating laptop

My employer replaced my old Dell with this Lenovo, and I've come to hate it. The TouchPad is the worst I've ever used, never holding the same position...I've had to switch to a wired mouse when travelling since it's so frustrating. And after a few months, when using an external monitor, moving files from screen to screen is having both delay problems and incredibly frustrating jumps between full screen and reduced screen. I do keep many programs and screens open when I'm working, but with 16GB RAM, I would expect it to handle the load; perhaps it's the i5 processor not being up to speed. After this experience, I would never buy a Lenovo, especially if I needed to travel around with it and have to use the touchpad.

Date PurchasedJan 2017

There are too many different models in this category

I have a T460 and am very happy with it. However, I will see if I can add a category for it because lumping all T Series laptops into this one doesn't make sense as there is such a large range of models to cover. There are even variations within the T460....

Date PurchasedJun 2016

intentional advertising

The issue of inbuilt ad has been a constant theme of concern by my friends who bought Lenovo laptops. These inbuilds seem to be
unique to Lenovo laptops, they (3 ) all gave up. They cannot be removed. 1 asked for refund, 2 will never buy Lenovo again. I am not sure whether this happens to all new Lenovo laptops thou as we are not in sales.

Date PurchasedJan 2016

Do not buy it, you will regret otherwise.

Not reliable product. No customer service. Either product or customer service needs to stop their so called service.
Laptop: T460 i5. Bought on June 2016. Quite recent.

I thought it is the well known thinkpad modification version. Alas, it is just the name. Waste of my time, money and effort.

Date PurchasedJun 2016

so many annoying things, not sure where to start

I wish I hadn't chosen this. It's an irritating 'thinkpad' that thinks too much or too little. I've had lots of laptops and computers in the past but nothing this irritating. Inbuilt pop ups asking me to buy things. I got a bug and the guy who fixed it said it was inbuilt. Nothing works well. I tried to get help from customer service a couple of times - they could not be bothered helping. I would not buy from Lenovo ever again.

Excellent machine for home office or travel use

I bought this machine as a replacement for my desktop that was cooked by lightning 12 months ago. The machine works wonderfully, is totally reliable and very useful to take with me on personal or business trips.

I have become a real fan of laptops vs the use of tablets.

Very happy. Good value for money

I purchased this laptop for my workplace. My workplace paid for the computer but i use it everyday and take it home on weekends. The price was one of the first attractions but I am very happy with the startup speed and the quality of images on this computer. I recommend this as a great purchase.
Slim design, weight, cost
The keyboard mouse

Sweet T510

This is my first Laptop after owning a desktop and I was quiet nervous about the performance and reliability. Something like one third of all laptops have problems in the first 3 years. Did heaps of research and it appear that Apple are probably the best but if your after a pc I think Lenovo are the best. I got the highest specs that I could at the time (Feb 2011) as I want it to last 5-6 years. i7 M620 2.67 GHz, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, 9 cell batt. So far so good, it boots up and shuts down ridiculously fast, which I love. It may sound dumb but I can't be bothered switching on machines anymore, let alone waiting for them to be ready. This is the future, stuff should just start already, the ThinkPad is as close to that as possible. I love the retro look and the keyboard is rated among the best if not the best. Battery life is good and once again I have fairly unrealistic expectations, but the 9 cells deliver. Yeah the built in speakers suck but I've never heard great sound coming from any laptop so I got some swish Creative speakers... problem solved. I'd rather have crappy speakers and webcam than trade off performance or durability any day. The durability is pretty awesome, I haven't totally wasted it but I've given it a fair few knocks, dropped it once without catching it and it was fine. Dropped it once and caught it by the screen, fairly rough grab, and it's fine. So all up I rate it highly. In four years I might get a T420s with the highest specs available... personally I don't need the 15" screen and would enjoy trying a slimmer lighter version. Oh the track pad isn't as responsive as a Mac Book Pro but it's not the end of the world, I mean it does work, and you can always get a bluetooth mouse. I love my ThinkPad, it's pretty flippin' cool.
Robust and powerful
Built speakers are pretty crap, trackpad could be better.

I took a bit of a risk purchasing the Lenovo Thinkpad T400, however it is one that has certainly paid off.

Although the computer looks outdated, it is very powerful on the inside. I got the 2.53ghz processor and 4gb of RAM, which run everyday tasks extremely quickly, and can easily handle intensive programs. The system is rarely overloaded, despite me often running many programs at once. The AMD graphics card is also more powerful than I expected, running many new titles such as GTA4, and older titles at full graphics settings.

The battery life of this laptop makes it stand out from other models. I easily get 7 hours of work with the discrete graphics off but with wireless on, and although not comparable to new models it is certainly exception for a laptop first released 2 years ago. The exterior is also very rugged, and will certainly protect the laptop from an accidental fall, making it perfect if you wish to carry it around and use it on the go.

All that said, I do have two minor complaints. The first is the price, although you will certainly get value for money, it can be a bit expensive. However the price has gone down recently, and if you can pick one up second hand you will love it. The second problem is the webcam, don't bother buying it. It has an awful yellow tint under most lighting conditions, and there's no known fix.

That said, this is still an exceptional laptop, perfect for business users and capable of casual gaming. Highly recommended!
- powerful, fast, reasonably big hard drive
- excellent keyboard and touchpads/trackpads
- very rugged, will easily survive a fall
- very good battery life
- looks very dull
- a bit on the pricey side
- occasional driver issues on USB ports
- webcam is terrible, don't waste money on it