LG GS-B680 (687L, Side by Side)

See the Best Side by Side Fridges / Refrigerators in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

three years and the chime still drives me crazy

I have now had this fridge for three years and it has performed pretty well all this time but a few
things are a bit annoying.
The outside of the fridge appears to dent easily, its very thin.
This may be a way of keeping manufacturing cost down, but be aware of this.
It is still quiet and energy efficient and I have no problems with it.
I would hope that more recent models would have a feature that disables the very annoying chime that goes off when ever the fridge decides that you have had it open longer than it wants.
It is not a pleasant chime , it is a very annoying chime. ( maybe a child would find it amusing )
Don't you just love it when the refrigerator starts telling you what to do .
I do like the fridge but I would not buy it again.( Because of the chime)
OH Did I mention that it has a Very annoying chime

Purchased in August 2016 at goodguys.

Internal Layout

Stylish design and good space for external size.

Bought it 15 months ago. Very happy with its internal storage space compared to it's slim design. Suits up to family if 4. Works well, keeps veggies for 4-5 days despite other reviews. Looks smart with stylish curves. Low point is its highly over engineered yet useless ice maker. Otherwise happy with the purchase.

Purchased in March 2018 for $1,299.00.

Internal Layout
Household Size 4 person(s)

Stay away from LG Products

6months ago purchased fridge/ freezer combo. Within 2 weeks of purchase complained of soggy limp rotting vegetables, cheeses going mouldy and water icicles on frozen foods. Said nothing wrong with it. I have been fighting with LG for 6 months now. Harvey Norman are taking it away at their cost and will take it up with LG. The latest was it needed a part but would take a number of weeks to get here as it is not even in the country!!

Fridge section fine freezer cannot keep set Temperature

Bought late January 2019. Noticed frost on freezer after 4 days so got a wireless thermometer to monitor the freezer temperature. I have it set at -18C but it cycles 3 days -20--17C and 16 hours -24 to -32.6C. Called LG tech visited when temperature was -26C and said there is an issue with the fridge so he ordered and replaced the computer and temperature sensor. No change to issue.

Monitored for another week and recalled LG. Noted the temperature cycles down to the low readings after a defrost cycle. Tech came and said need to replace fridge. This was done with a few scrapes on the house delivering it but new fridge if anything is worse.

Cycle over past 3 weeks is as follows 3 days normal/16hrs down/3 days normal/16hrs down /3 days normal /16hrs down /28hrs normal/16hrs down/32hrs normal /16hrs down /40 hrs normal and it continues to today. Ice cream is like concrete cannot spoon it out when at -26C. Issue is with LG I told them to grab 1 and monitor the temperatures in the freezer over a period, The fridge temp is spot on. Surprised 2 fridges 1 with most of the control parts replaced both same issue. Strange no-one else noticed it.

Oh my thermometer tested against tech's one and agrees. LG has been helpful but things dragging though they keep messaging me that they they still looking into issue. Another 3 mths on still no comment re if they have tested any fridges and reproduced the issue, Really getting poorer support by the day.

Purchased in January 2019 at Harvey Norman Appliances Physical Store for $1,089.00.

Internal Layout
Household Size 2 person(s)

Really enjoying my fridge

We bought this fridge about a month ago, and i'm loving it, its very spacious for the family of 4, very quiet, the door shelves are wide (you don't know how convenient it is until you use it) and sturdy, overall rather impressed by it.

Purchased in January 2019 at The Good Guys.

Internal Layout
Household Size 4 person(s)

Amazing

I love my fridge so much it’s got so much space and so much freezer room and I also love that it has the temperature controls on the outside of fridge and that I can lock it so kids cant play with it, I honestly couldn't live without my fridge best thing I've ever brought

Date PurchasedJan 2019

Great value for money

This is my second LG fridge, which was purchased about a year ago.
No issues at all, excellent temperature control, LED lights, express freeze, WiFi, no ice and no maintenance required.
What else do you need from a fridge?

My other LG fridge (similar type) has been working hard for the last 6 years and I am very happy with the quality and reliability.
LG is a great brand when it comes to fridges, highly recommended!

Date PurchasedJan 2018

A little flimsy

I purchased this fridge. The fan froze over within the first six months but otherwise operates fine. The stainless stell shell dents extremely easily. I also noticed this on the display in the store, but thought it was customer abuse. it is not. Also the plastic freezer drawer has cracked without being treated harshly. I do not feel this product is very strong. Customer service was fine though.

Date PurchasedDec 2017

This’s perfect fridge

Hi brought the LG stainless 3 months ego keeps the food very cold it is very spacious fridge or freezer love the container for for vegetables it is so much space ezy to clean what I like most the shelves on the door so big no problem 3 later milk fit so good I recommended

Date PurchasedMar 2018

Pleased with this purchase

Have had this fridge for 6 weeks and pleased with operation and build quality of the unit. Used a thermometer to measure temperature in fridge and freezer and found to be stable and within a degree or so of the set temperature. The compressor and fan are very quiet. Would have liked an enclosed storage compartment for medicines and a wine type bottle storage rack which is apparently optional but a retrofit does not appear to be possible. Needed to purchase a side by side door type due to small amount kitchen space in front of the unit. So, that ruled out single door and French freezer types. That said, the door arrangement is superior to the side by side Maytag this fridge replaced. Am not tempted to connect to LG support via the Wi-Fi capability. The process looks too complex - to be performed as a last resort.

Date PurchasedSep 2018

Very good

I purchased this fridge last year and it is awesome! It maintains a good temperature throughout and has very good storage for both freezer and fridge. It is easy to
Open but it does feel a bit heavy when opening. I especially like this fridge because I am easily able to store things in an easily accessible and organised way!

Date PurchasedSep 2017

Great Look, Budget Friendly, Reliable Fridge

We upgraded our fridge last month & couldn't be happier with our decision to buy the LG GS-B680PL! We had an older LG double door/side by side fridge that has begun to leak water and both internal lights had stopped working, so upgrading was necessary. We have always favoured the LG brand as most of our appliances are LG and have always had long life spans, durability and are user friendly. We purchased the fridge from good guys for just $1495 (minus extended warranty). Having not bought a fridge for almost 10 years, we were a little out of our league with all the technology and added extras that fridges now have (who even needs wifi & a TV on their fridge??), and were shopping for something with a good energy rating, long warranty and good size, and this fridge ticks all of the boxes. The fridge is super quiet, and also has fingerprint reduction stainless steel (great for those with sticky fingers and little ones). 687L of space, salad & veg drawers in fridge with 5 shelfs and door shelves. meat & fish drawers, plus 4 shelves in the freezer, ice tray/ice drawer, as well as 4 standard shelves. So far so good, would definitely recommend this fridge if wanting something reliable, roomy and under $1500

Date PurchasedAug 2018

Useless vegetable drawers.

The vegetable and fruit drawers are a waste of space. Mushrooms dry out completely in 3 days, absolutely useless for fruit and vegetables. Celery limp, carrots dry out. Too much airflow in the drawers, no regulator. I wish I had never bought it. LG ignore all my correspondence. They are probably hope I will get tired of writing.

Date PurchasedNov 2017

Excellent fridge

Very good fridge, designs good, easy access to the compartments, has even wifi connection even though I am not sure the main purpose. Very stylish and the door handles built into the fridge therefore getting through doors is a breeze. We have been using this for couple of weeks now and very happy with the product. LG service upto now has been very good.

Date PurchasedAug 2018

Simple and sleek design!

If you're looking for a fridge that looks unique from the rest, this is your pick! This fridge looks very sleek and doesn't have an external ice dispenser as most fridges today do. This is actually something I wanted as I was looking for a fridge that looked simple and minimalist. It's also a very quiet fridge - none of that motor sound you might find in other fridges. The external display is also not too distracting and looks great (it turns on when you open the fridge door).

Inside, there's quite a lot of space and different compartments including a moist crisp balancer for fruits and veg, side compartments for dairy and a very big bottom side compartment to put all your big cartons of milk, juice, soft drink, cordial or even wine - this is one of my favourite parts of the fridge as my previous fridge's bottom side compartments were so small and got filled up so easily.

The freezer has an ice maker on the inside which does what its supposed to do - nothing too flashy. It's also got a good amount of space and two big pull out drawers perfect for stashing away meat or frozen goodies like chicken nuggets or crumbed fish. I've found the distribution of cold air to be really good in both freezer and fridge and am seeing less 'freezer burn' in my frozen products compared to the previous fridge we had. Overall, a great fridge for a great price!

Date PurchasedApr 2018

Great fridge

It is a functional fridge for a medium sized family. It runs quietly with beeping sound to remind you to close the fridge door. Ample space available on the doors to store drinks and bottles. The technology in which you can scan the fridge gives us a peace of mind too.

Great fridge!

Lots of storage within this fridge and plenty of compartments. Was easy to set with the digital face. The white version is super easy to clean and when purchased we didn't have to wait hours for it to cool down! Also has a good energy rating for larger fridge.
I originally purchased as my old fridge&freezer was way too small and I was hesitant on buying a chest freezer, so just bought this larger fridge freezer and have more than enough space for everything.

Cool and frosty

Bought us an upgrade in size and performance and couldn't be happier. Whisper quiet, adjustable temperature for both fridge and freezer. Large shelf space and door pockets are a bonus. Multi zone fridge and freezer sections are fantastic for separating different items that require certain temp zones. The wifi alerts via the app is also a great feature.

Date PurchasedFeb 2018

Really good cheap fridge

Picked this LG fridge up cheap when eBay has a 20% sale. Came from the good guys brand new, delivered for $950.
We really like it. Cools quick. Has quite a nice little display across the front. Has a lock function to prevent our kids from getting into it. Lots of storage space. Feels nice and solid, unlike some of the other models in this price range.
The bad thing is the ice maker is tiny but after looking around at other brands they’re all the same.

My onderful fridge

I purchase this item August 2017. Firstly the freezer is well set out and retains cold very well. I preserve fruit and veggies and it suits my needs perfectly. The fridge has many useful areas and I can't fault layout.

Date PurchasedAug 2017

Only 2 weeks old and freezer has suddenly gone to -26 and fridge to 8. This is the second time it has done this, the first time turned power off for an hour or two then back on. But now, a week later, it seems to have gone crazy again. Has anyone had this problem?
Yes read my comments in this review area. I have a complaint active with LG as I already had the first unit replaced and second does the same. My fridge is fine steady at 2.3C but stays at -24 to -32.6C for 16 hrs and normal for periods varying from 12hrs to 72 hrs. Always goes lower after a defrost cycle that happens every 4 hrs. Check actual cycle times I have a wireless thermometer inside the freezer. The first fridge had the computer and the temperature sensor replaced and no change. I have asked LG to actually test a fridge over a week and log the temperatures as I feel some units are faulty. Trying to chisel icecream at -32C is not fun. Worth a call to LG but a tech coming out will not fix it ask to be referred to guy looking into my case ( My name Turner) This issue only reason I gave unit 2 stars otherwise 5. I get the feeling they are perplexed and really only want to replace it again.Tony, sounds familiar. I am also using a wireless sensor inside the fridge & freezer. Mostly concerned about the fridge temp going up. After this last episode, I decided to leave it be and see what happens, after about 2 hrs temps started to return to the set temps. I have rung up and a tech can be sent out but if it is behaving normal I am sure he would not find the fault. I would like to think that LG have recognised a problem and are working on a fix. Otherwise, we like the unit.Mine still a issue LG dragging their tails. Taking dated pics whenever the temperature sucks. Worst -33.6C when set at -18

Hi does his fridge come with pure and fresh already inside the fridge? Not an add on extra

Is the freezer on this unit frost free?
Hi, I've not had any frost in my freezer which is set at -17°C.Yes, it is frost free!!Mine is all frosted

LG GS-B680PL (Stainless)LG GS-B680WL (White)
CategorySide by Side Fridges / RefrigeratorsSide by Side Fridges / Refrigerators
Price (RRP) $2,049$1,799
Dimensions 1790 x 912 x 738 mm1790 x 912 x 733 mm
Energy Rating3 star(s)2.5 star(s)
Household Size 5+ people5+ people
FeaturesDoor Alarm and Frost FreeDoor Alarm and Frost Free
Colour / Finish Stainless SteelWhite
Handle Type RecessedRecessed
Smart Fridge YesYes
Shelf MaterialGlassGlass
Number of Shelves44
Number of Fruit & Vegetable Bins 22
Manufacturer Warranty2 year(s)2 year(s)
Capacity