Makita BSS611Z

Makita BSS611Z

MPN: XMT03Z

See the Best Circular Saws in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

No more cords

Ive had one of these for years, they are powerful and useful. When i first got it i took a bit of a chance as they were fairly new on the market and only 3ah batteries were availble. Now there are bigger capacities available the corded 9 1/4 only comes out for ripping ironbark or similar heavy work. I have the new cordless makits 18v and it sits even higher up the chain than this one in terms of features, build quality and battery life. I would spend the extra and go for the newer model. If youre on a budget this will get you by fine.

Date PurchasedMay 2010

Handy tool.

I was a bit wary about a circular saw being cordless and whether it would have the grunt to perform adequately. However, I have been pleasantly surprised. It certainly doesn't replace a larger saw if you happen to ripping a lot of large section sticks of timber, but it is described as a finishing saw.

I have used this saw a lot, and find with a 3.0 Mah battery it is great. The modern LXT cordless tools charge fast, so with two batteries on hand I have found this a great tool. I have built several fences, and foundf this saw is fine for ripping through 100x50 rough sawn timber, and even 100x100 posts with two passes. I am not sure it is really a finishing saw, as the standard blade is still quite course and would imagine it might be difficult to keep the revs up high enough with a finer tooth blade.

The portability of this saw though is great, it is light, and it is easy to guide the blade down a line.

Would I buy one again, absolutely. However, you would also want to have a good compound slide drop saw for bigger jobs and where perfectly perpendicular cuts arer needed.
Light, portable, cuts good size chunks of timber
Relies purely on revs, rather than power so blade needs to be sharp and battery charged