Mastercard Cash Passport

Mastercard Cash Passport

This is a terrible product

I made the big mistake of buying a Cash Passport for my travels. It was as an emergency card in case I had problems with my Virgin Velocity card ( which works very well and the fees are lower). Unfortunately an ATM took the Virgin card so I was stuck with the Cash passport. For no apparent reason it only works in some ATMs (as opposed to the Virgin card). The Cash Passport takes three days to load by Bpay. When I phoned to ask why an ATM had the message there were no funds even though my on-line statement said I had $1,000 in there, I was put through the mill by the person on the end of the phone who spoke unintelligible English and treated me like I am a criminal. All I wanted know is where MY money was. Stay away there are many better products than this.

CurrencyUSD

These cards a HUGE and expensive SCAM

Mexico trip. Converted $900 CAD into MXN. C$18 of fees to open card, less than competitive conversion rate. All told, I was gouged C$130, four cash withdrawals over 5 days.

Purchased at Canada Post for $18.00.

Competitive Exchange Rate No

Beware. Steer clear of this VERY EXPENSIVE CARD. I was badly burnt.

Obtained this card without looking at these reviews.. Bad mistake.
Was quite happy to use this to travel O/S until time came to move unused money back to my original account.
There was a hit of 10% to the US$ to A$ exchange rate. Official rate on the day ~ 0.71. I was given 0.78.
So instead of close to A$9500, I got A$8700.
Using this card cost me A$800. (plus) I don't think 10% is reasonable after all the other costs that go with this card
The "support" at the call centre in Manila tried to explain to me this was because of the "spread" on the day ...
The spread was 5% when I bought the US$, but 10% to get back out... Some spread.
Good for MasterCard in the short term.
Bendigo Bank recommended this product to me so I am going to have a go at them too.

Competitive Exchange Rate No

Deceptive conduct, conceal pertinent conditions.

This product will not let you reload more than once in a 24 hour period. Try, and they will block you.

**This fact is concealed from the customer and NOT included in their PDS.**

So when you blow the budget like you do sometimes on holiday, you are SOL unless you have another payment method about your person.

Do not believe the marketing, "instant reload", easy travelling rubbish.

Who would have thought I'd be thinking fondly of the good old traveller's cheque.

Purchased at Australia Post Offices.

Just use your regular bank card.

It's cheaper to just withdraw from your own bank account using your visa or MasterCard debit card.
It cost me about $150 to transfer $1000 in to the cash passport account and then a $2.50 ATM withdrawal fee. Where as it cost about $30 to withdraw $500 using my Visa debit card including the withdrawal fees.
Your regular visa or MasterCard debit card will be accepted in the exact same places that the cash passport card is accepted.

The only real benefit to the cash passport card is if you knew the foreign exchange rates were going to drastically change before your trip. But even still you'd want them to be changing pretty significantly to make it worth while.

Purchased at Australia Post Offices for $1,000.00.

CurrencyJPY
Competitive Exchange Rate No

BEWARE dont go near this passport.

They set their own exchange rate and when you want to transfer your money back you end up losing hundreds of dollars. They should have criminal charges against them. Stay AWAY

Terrible

Highway robbery. My cards were expired but they continued to charge me inactivity fees amounting to hundreds of dollars on EXPIRED cards. Absolutely absurd. Would not recommend and would never use this company again.

Horrendous

Bad exchange rate. Confusing and difficult to get your money back out once you're done travelling. Worse exchange rate once you convert your cash back to AUD. $4 per month non-usage fee. Absolute rubbish.

Absolute rip off

Be warned, they are not even close to their advertised exchange rates. I have just returned from NZ with $1000 NZD left on the card. Today's exchange from NZD is $1 to buy 99 cents Aust.

When I go to transfer the NZD back to my account the rate offered is 86 cents!

When I rang to question the difference all I was told is that currencies fluctuate! The extremely hard to understand call centre person would not or could not explain why the Cashpassport web site exchange rate was so much higher than what I was offered to exchange my money which they skimmed when I first put it in.

DO YOURSELF A FAVOUR AND AVOID THIS COMPANY.

DO NOT USE THIS CARD SERVICE

This service was terrible, the customer service team have no idea - at one stage i was stuck in the US with over $1000 available fund on my card and they would not let me access it. I had bought a cap for $23 and the souvenir shop had not yet closed out the transaction, so in their wisdom the cash passport staff said they had to hold funds until they were convinced the shop would not charge me any more!! Apparently because the name of the shop had "knights" in it and they thought it was a hotel!! The service staff were incompetent, on 3 seperate occasions they could not even reconcile my card, said they would call me back but never did.

Ridiculous ATM withdraw fees

I got my mastercard cash passport card to go overseas. It worked really well there, had 2 different types of currency, never had any issues making purchases. The problem started when I got back and went to withdraw the unused money, I got charged $43 to withdraw MY money from the ATM! When I rang them up, they said as per T&C, the fee for taking money out from an Australian ATM was 2.95% of the withdrawn amount, whatever the amount you take out, you get charged 2.95%! Total rip off! Their customer service staff didn't seem to care and said they couldn't give me a refund because that was their T & C so nothing they could do. Reading other people's reviews, I know I didn't lose that much, but is not just about the money, is the principle. 2.95% is just ridiculous...

Do no ever use this service

Hi,

I am stuck in Manila with no money and no food because the cashpassport website that I have been using for weeks now has all of a sudden decided to not allow me to transfer money from my fathers card into my cashpassport account. I have been using this card for the last 3 weeks without any problem, now it states that the card details are incorrect. I assure you that the card details are correct as they are saved into my Samsung pay and I have been using the same details for the last 3 weeks! The website is full of bugs and comes up with internal error messages, if only I could post my screenshots. I also had my father call his bank provider to make sure it wasn't his card and as suspected it was not.
They have no way to reach them by phone in the Philippines, or in fact most countries. You have to call internationally to speak to them which I can't do because I have no access money. You have to email them which takes up to 48 hours, some times they don't even respond. I will never ever use this service ever again. Thank you cash passport I am going to starve to death because of you.

Kind regards,

Iamail

Ripp off, do not use

Easy to set up, easy to use overseas, exchange rate was ok to change from AUD to NZD, just dont try to get your money back to AUD, 14 cents less than the AUD exchange rate.

Blatant robbery - lose 100's $ on the exchange rate

Lose significantly from the outset. That is, lose 100s of $$$ on the apalling exchange rate before you even start! ATM fees: You can only avoid ATM fees if you use an actual Mastercard ATM otherwise every country's ATM will charge you a fee. Cashpassport also states 'no 'inactivity' charge' FALSE: they charge. And unless you've got plenty of time chase it and recoup it - its another unethical $ in the pocket of this newly low, rorting version of cashpassport. PS their London 'Customer Service' line drops out and other numbers listed on the card and website also drop out or are incorrect. Beware it's a
Low deal - its daylight robbery of the worst kind, don't know who's running it these days but it truly lacks integrity and any benefit for the customer.

Pain in the head- don’t use it

We gave our 17 year old son a cashpassport for Canada. We thought you could transfer instantly, but it takes 24/48 hours to clear. It’s such a pain. Why didn’t they give two cards so I could go into post office and put cash in for immediate use? Or better still, have instant transfers. Never use this card again.

Very happy customer

I've been using this card for many years over many trips and it's been fantastic. Some of the issues people have encountered can be avoided by reading up on how it works e.g. The amount you load in aus dollars will convert to the foreign amount (which is less if the aus dollar is weaker). I've used this card in Europe and the US without issues. Bank transfer charges no fees so if you just use that and don't withdraw from an ATM then you don't have to pay any fees (which is what I try to do). Bank transfer and bpay do take a lot of time, sometimes longer than the estimated time but honestly, if you plan ahead, use the app to check your balance and load money well ahead of time then you'll be ok! To avoid paying the withdrawal fee when coming home if there's still a balance I just change the currency back to aus dollars and use it in Australia as I would any other Australia card I own. I've been fortunate not to have it rejected anywhere and I've been using it for my trips over the last 4 years. I would recommend it!!! The multicurrency loading is an awesome feature too. In the US it may ask you on the eftpos machine if you'd like to pay in Australian dollars or the loaded currency, look at this and see what's a better deal for you. Very happy customer, makes travelling easy :)

Authorised stealing!

We loaded 5000 AUD some in USD and some in British Pounds. During our trip we did not use the card at all so once back we thought to convert the foreign currency back in AUD and use the card as a normal card to purchase goods in Australia. We checked the currency exchange rate on Internet and we were quite happy that the conversion would have give us a little bit more (!!!!!!) of our original amount, around 5020 AUD. So we called the help line to proceed to the conversion. We were absolutely horrified to find out that the Cash Passport rate was nothing close to the official rate! They gave us back only AUD 4518 stealing practically almost 500 AUD. After our strong complain, their explanation has been that it is a computer generated conversion so there is nothing they could do, with the usual worthless apologies. We had to accept the amount offered and accept to be robbed. Five years ago we used a Commonwealth Bank Travel Card (I believe they don't have it anymore, unfortunately) when we came back we had all our money back and more, as they refunded us the official exchange rate. We are really upset, especially by the fact that some institutions can rob you and there is nothing you can do....

Better off taking debit card and just telling the bank

First experience with the card was great, online top up was quick, fees were pretty low and I could use it online as well. Can't cash out leftovers and when I started trying to use it back home it wouldn't process.
Let me top it up and then apparently all my details were changed into gobbledygook so the card was frozen. Spent $170 in call fees because the free call number on the card ain't free at all. Lady was really helpful and had it unfrozen for me that same night but my confidence in using the card is gone.
Might as well take the extra time to find an atm with no fees and use my home debit card.

Don't use cash passport - mastercard.

We had problem with this card from the beginning . There help line is absolutely useless . They didn't return e-mails. Wouldn't give answers to questions ,always said they would have to get the supervisor to ring back (3 times) Never returned calls. They tried to say problem on our end and when we proved it was there stuff up they ducted for cover. This has been going on now for near six weeks and is still not sorted. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND MASTERCARD TO ANYONE.

Rip off

15 yo daughter was travelling to Europe with school for a month. Got her a card and loaded money. When adding more money from home they charge you money an extra $5 with a lousy exchange rate. When she got home they then charge you $10 to transfer back to your account with an even worse exchange rate. And they charge you $4.07 every time you take money out.. They promote it as a safe reliable alternative.. Just making some multinational bank richer. Major rip off. Next time I suggest a credit card. Would be $100's cheaper.