Milwaukee M18 2730-20

Milwaukee M18 2730-20

5.0 from 1 review

See the Best Circular Saws in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Just what I needed

If you have read any of my other reviews, you will know that I am ancient, work as a carpenter and have no particular love of Milwaukee tools.
When I started in my current job, I had corded tools. All the saws were Hitachi, drills Metabo or Ramset, cordless tools Panasonic. I work in vacant properties where it is the norm for there to be no power so cordless tools became a necessity. I thought about which tool gives a battery the most punishment and came to the circular saw by virtue of the large angle of moment given the distance from the spindle to the business end. All of the reviews I looked at found the Milwaukee to give the best performance and battery life. Others came out ahead for other reasons but I was after performance and life so went with Milwaukee. This is the second saw I have had, the first being stolen in 2016.
What can I say about it? Well to start with, it is a horrible colour. Next, it does not sit very comfortably in my hand. With a 9 amp hour battery, it is pretty heavy. The scale markings for angles appear ti have been made with the back of an axe. The cutouts for the blade position bear no relationship to the blade position. It is ugly. The field winding in mine was flakey and had to be replaced umder warranty.
But. The other day I had to rip down 5200 mm of 90 x 45 mm Vic ash and it just cut. It cut and it cut and it cut. All the way without protest, without slowing down and with a Diable demo blade which has seen its unfair share of nails.
The bearings on this saw are excellent. There is not a trace of slop. A 2.2mm thick blade cuts a 2.2 mm kerf. The rip guide has a longer shoe than the Makita or Hitachi which means that it is still in contact with the wood which means that you don't get a wobbly bit as you finish the cut.
The depth setting mechanism. The nut for locking in the saw depth is fiddly, but the action for dropping the sole is the best I have used. It glides without slop which allows you to give it tiny taps to get it right, without it suddenly collapsing into a black hole.
Weight. It is a heavy saw, especially with the 9 ah battery. Most of the work I do with it is without the aid of saw horses or any rest, I tuck the wood under my arm and hack away at it. But that wieght is beneficial, the saw does not buck as it hits the timber.
Chopping out cutouts in bench tops for sinks and stoves in a breeze. The left side of the sole plate is just the right distance form the blade, about 35 mm, so there is no problem cutting up close to a wall.
As with my other reviews of Milwaukee tools, I am ambivalent at best about all sorts of things. But, as I say each time, it is tough and it just works. I had a problem with the motor which was fixed in a couple of days and so what, things happens. Other than that, it is a very reliable, tough, useful and well made tool. Buy one, you won't regret it.