Mitsubishi Triton

Great Reliable Little Truck

I have owned my Triton since March 2009. It has been reliable with fuel consumption consistently less than 9 L/100KM and having clocked over 160,000km. It has the 2.4 L Turbo Diesel engine with an alloy trayback and although the engine sounds small it has fantastic torque. I have taken this vehicle through Arnhem Land in the Northern Territory several times and never felt like the truck was going to let me down. The traction system is second to none and is, in my opinion, better than competitors. I also use it regularly to tow my 5 meter boat over various roads including heavily corrugated roads in the middle of nowhere as I search out a new launching for the boat. I am looking at replacing the vehicle in the next couple of years either with another Triton or, due to family reasons, a Pajero, but in either case it will be another Mitsubishi. I would highly recommend the Mitsubishi Triton to any bloke or lady out there who want a reliable vehicle.

Purchased in March 2009.

Cheap that’s it

I purchased my 2013 MN Triton December 2013. I have had the following issues whilst within warranty period

3 new steering wheels (replaced under warranty) latest has failed and now out of warranty

2 new clock springs (replaced under warranty) latest has failed and now out of warranty

1 new drivers seat belt (replaced under warranty) latest has failed and now out of warranty

2 rear door window runners and guides because of rust

1 passenger airbag cover replaced due to warping

New side step brackets replaced due to rust under warranty now new ones have rust again replaced less than 2 years ago

Drivers seat base replaced due to becoming loose. Loose again now out of warranty and clunks around corners .

Turbo hose not covered by warranty

Carpet next to drivers foot rest tore (not worn) refused by Mitsubishi however my dealer agreed with me it wasn’t wear and tear.

The car drives ok and was cheap at time of purchase due to new model approaching. Vehicle has been serviced as per manufacturer requirements.

There is also a serious lag when taking off from a stand still.

I would seriously consider purchasing something else next time

Purchased in December 2013 at Gateway Motor Group for $35,000.00.

Titan Triton.

This is our second Triton,first being a 2013 MN GL-R manual.This vehicle towed our 21Ft Jayco Heritage with ease at 90-100 in 4th and returned about 15-17 LPH on our interstate trips. We covered 97,000 klm over 6yrs with not one problem. Our replacement is a 2016 Triton MQ Exceed, and I must say it is proper flash, towing is very similar and fuel
consumption about the same. We have just completed a 2700klm outback adventure from Pt Pirie-Menindee-Innaminka-Leigh Creek-Yunta-home,and the car performed faultless,comfortable, good on fuel,no dust leaks and no rattles. A good alround car,with a good dealer distribution (love that car) :)

Purchased in April 2019 for $32,000.00.

BoughtUsed

Good ute

First time owning a DC ute so some of these issues may be common to all. Be prepared for a harsh ride unless it's loaded – I understand the Triton to be the most 'car like', I would hate to spend a lot of time in the others.

As for the Triton, HID Headlights are woeful and shake over bumps – you'll need additional lighting. Passenger seat shakes when unoccupied and you have to tuck the seatbelt flat or it rattles horribly.
Tall passengers in the rear may be very close to the roof.
There is not much information available from the dash and to cycle the menus is a tiny button that you have to reach through the steering wheel. A more useful dash can be found in the almost identical Pajero Sport but not available in Triton.
Sheetmetal is very thin (can't comment on others) but thinner than my previous VE Commodore.
Rear springs squeak due to dust between the leaves.
Android Auto can be problematic. I am advised a high quality cord may help.
Climate control – I still can't work it out. I'm either hot or cold – never just right.

Some owners report vibrations when taking off (I havn't noticed). The Auto has a dampener attached to the rear diff that could get hung up when serious off roading.
Take off is sluggish until the turbo winds up (may be common in others).

On the bright side I recently took the caravan for a run and it towed beautifully and with ease. It also settled the suspension somewhat.

I like the ute and it was great value, and has been reliable, there's just a few known issues that Mitsi have to get squared away.

For all but the most extreme abuse, you won't bend a chassis, and all DC utes suffer from a similar condition. If spending hours on corrigations with the tray / tub heavily loaded and towing a camper is your bag

Purchased in April 2019.

Best Car

I love my uts triton, very economical and fast car. Its never let me down. I use the car for work only, first start and drive to customer with out letting me down. I recommending it to all friend.

Purchased in June 2016 for $28,500.00.

Comfort

Great value but average product

Great value in theory, however felt underwhelming. Made sense on paper, however after driving it for 6 months it felt like a budget vehicle mechanically (undercarriage rattles and turbo lag) and the interior is poor- not much better than a Toyota in terms of quality. Ended up selling in 6 months for a different make.

Purchased in April 2018 for $42,000.00.

Comfort

Worst car I've ever had the displeasure of driving!

This is our work vehicle. It does several hundred km/week.
It is the 2.5L Turbo Diesel RWD model with an auto gearbox. All of that combines to make it the WORST and most dangerous vehicle I've even been in.

At an intersection, this thing is absolutely gutless. Even with your foot flat it can take 4 or more seconds to get to anything more than walking pace. On an uphill incline, it can be twice that and then the turbo kicks in and all you get is wheel-spin due to having no weight at all in the back.
At an intersection in the wet, it can be downright deadly. Traction control is constantly going crazy at every intersection and can take 2-3 seconds to stop the wheels spinning, but by then you've backed off all by yourself and come to a complete stop again, only to have to do it all over again.

No doubt this isn't a problem on the manual models as you can build the revs yourself. Again, no problem on the 4WD models because they would have traction.

Comfort? It has none. The springs in the rear are so hard that any speed hump will have you headbutting the steering wheel. The seat is so hard that you get sore on short trips, so I'd hate to take a long trip.

The springs in the rear squeak non-stop. We have to spray them with grease/fish oil to quieten them down for a month.

Red lights on the dash make it very difficult to read anything at night.

It is HONESTLY the worst car I've ever driven and am only in it because I'm paid to be.

Purchased in May 2012.

Great car

Very nice Car to drive heaps of room front and rear good cargo room
Carnt fault the triton
Would buy another one
Looks great in black
Will allways swear by Mitsubishi

Purchased in October 2018 at Motorama for $44,000.00.

Triton

Very nice ute, have had no issues with this beast of a car. Very good on fuel and purchased it at a great price. I highly recommend this over any other ute.

Purchased in July 2017 for $31,000.00.

Best vehicle ever

Have owned other 4x4, my triton is way in front, it has now done 240,000 klm, had a minor issue with airbag light but was fixed, had minot oil leak, turned out to be due to dealer over filling, not vehicle issue, and was fixed, has never missed a beat, im about to buy another, will be keeping my 2011 and handing down the family

Purchased in March 2011.

Not bad but has probs

Got a 2017 triton: problems suspension not great,
Rear shocks leak factory fault
Passenger seat has terrible shake and noise over bumpy road waiting for a factory fix factory fault,
Rear springs squeak had to get Mitsubishi to fit it.

Purchased in February 2017.

GLS manual Triton

Great car, value for money!!
Top 4x4
Test drove all the dualcabs out there,
The triton comes down best value for money. Along with the same quality as a Ranger, Hilux, Navara and Colorado less the extra $15-20,000.

Purchased in January 2017.

What a warrior

I have a triton 2010 and is the most tough car I ever have, love doing 4x4 and take me everywhere where other 4x4 much more expensive can’t go... never have problems with Ute the only maintenance I do is the service, high recommend, for 4x4 tracks to highway and towing I’m very please to say never let me down...

BadgeGL-R
CabDouble Cab
Date PurchasedSep 2013

PAINT WORK

After only 5 years my 2014 Triton was red but has faded to a pink. Really dissapointed. $30,000 ute and a cheap paint job. Do not buy red. Does anybody have the best way to renew a 5 year paint job without cutting and polishing to much.
I have a 2000 Mitsubishi sedan darker red it has not faded. They use a paint that has previously been used on a 1999 Model which faded. Very dissappointed.

BadgeGL
Engine Size2.8L Turbo-Diesel
Date PurchasedJul 2014
Drive4WD

Don't expect more than what you paid for

It's all the little things that will get to you...

- Windows tend to have vertical scratches after a few months.
- Why did Mitsubishi deem it necessary to have so many high pitched alarms? It beeps when i turn it on and off and the seat belt warning doesn't let up before you are diagnosed with PTSD.
- Doors automatically lock and still operate every time even after this feature is "deactivated".
- Steering wheel buttons are 'seek' and won't track through radio presets, very lazy design.
- Sound system fluffs with a hint of base at freeway speeds (ie don't test this in the garage).
- Pretty sure you get a free set of maracas inside the doors.
- Bluetooth (even after the firmware upgrade) is too quiet at full volume.
- 4WD system can make you lonely. Usually everyone else has hit the hill and are out of sight before you are finished the back and forth, in gear/neutral dance.
- Knock on wood, I have never run out of fuel... could be somewhat easy in a car that doesn't have a warning light or alarm. Funny because it makes so much noise for other reasons, maybe fuel is less important?
- Carry a cloth 24/7 cause if you want to see anything on the media screen you will need to clean it first. Even in the city.
- Windscreen water bottle only has enough capacity for a few tears and needs to be filled every week in dusty environments.
- Compared to ranger and hilux, the lag in the Triton is considerably annoying (automatic).
I don't need side mirrors that open and close when locking the car. I don't need shiny fake chrome and plastics that seem to get your eyes no matter how good my matrix moves are. And i really don't need a HDMI input.
The biggest disappointment with this vehicle is the lost potential. It can't be too difficult to fix all these items and in doing so would make the Triton a great every day ute. Hopefully the new look model has had more attention to detail than its MQ predecessor.

BadgeGLS
Date PurchasedSep 2017

Regretful buy

I use my Ute for work and from when I first brought it I thought it was very sluggish taking off in it. I have actually found it a little dangerous at times pulling out into a main road as it can be so sluggish at take off. At first I thought it was just a wearing in thing that may come right over time. 0ther issues I have happen is the engine light would sometimes come on for no reason and it would loose power but as soon as I switched off the engine the turbo would reset itself, but the engine light would remain on until I took it back to the dealership and many months later it would recur. At around 45 000 klm the 4wd gearbox had a major fault and the dealer replaced it at no cost. Now around 75 000 klms there is alot of rust spot's appearing on some of the door's and other exterior panels. I have real difficulty doing hill starts when my trailer is on the ute and have to in most cases put it in 4wd and use 1st low gear. The 2.5 litre diesel engine just does not seem to have enough grunt to pull a 2 ton payload even though they state that it can pull 3 ton. I don't think I would ever choose a Triton Ute ever again.

BadgeGLX-R
Date PurchasedMar 2015

Great reliable vehicle. Well priced

Had an MN previously and travelled 165000 in 3 years (work ute). Upgraded to the mq 4 months ago this vehicle has now done 20000 ks. No problems with it or the previous model. Dual cab 4wd. Tows anything with ease. Would highly recommend the Triton , worth a look at if your after a 4wd dual cab.

BadgeGL-R
Date PurchasedSep 2018

Good vehicle

I have had this car for over 5 years never let me down bought,less than 3 years old still had over 2 years warranty left,servicing a bit dear with dealer till I used local mechanic,replaced tyres,auto could use another gear otherwise good car economy fair to good but only driving in traffic,second triton I have had bought previous model new 10 years before would have kept but wanted auto for work.

CabSingle Cab
Date PurchasedSep 2013

Reliable but has had issues.

1st off there is a government website to check if you need to have the airbag replaced, input your vin number. Around 4 months after purchase the Diff failed, had it rectified fairly quickly havent had a problem since, I also had an issue where the drain plug from the power steering fell out losing the oil, this was an easy fix, the issue is well known the diesel consumption has been pretty good getting around 10lt/100km, I also had an issue where it was coming on dangerous in turbo lag, I had some hardware fix done when I put it in for a service. Its been good and reliable apart from the issues mentioned, now done 202,000km, I use the car every day and its serviced at the manufacturers intervals.

CabDouble Cab
Date PurchasedNov 2009
DriveRWD

Top Ute For Cash

Mate look after it and will go 400000 plus klms Japanese design had 2 that did with regular service and care like any diesel warm it up clean air filter regularly and dont expect more than you paid for it i find it a very honest ute but will let YOU know when its done a bit

Date PurchasedFeb 2018