161 questions from our users

Our dog is having neurological issues which we are attributing it to possibly be from the NexGuard. The symptoms are head tilted to right, clumsiness/weakness & loss of appetite, he has been treated for an inner ear infection but no relief from any of the medicine he has been prescribed. Our next stop is a neurological exam to see what it could be. Has anyone had any positive outcomes from their Vet or neurologist exam, and what is the treatment they were given?
Oh, no! I just came home from work and my 15 year old cant walk and has a head tilt. I thought it was a stroke. But he accidentally ate another one of my dog’s nexguard last week!!!

My dog ate a half a pill more than she should have. What should I look for?

My dog is exactly 60 lbs. which is the best dosage to give her the one that goes from 60 to 120 lbs. or the one that tops out at 60 lbs.
do not give your dog Nexgard, it will poison him/her over time. my Yorkshire vomited twice after taking this and develop severe skin problems. end up spending more money to treat her and it may even cost her life. think twice before feeding this productI would call and ask your vet, I’d personally say the 60-120 because she can gain weight but then again she could lose who really knows so better to ask. Also my dog has been on this and she’s perfectly happy and healthy. All dogs and humans have reactions to certain medications there’s nothing you can do about it and all flea/tick treatments are “poison” hello there killing fleas/ticks.Its a synthetic pesticide class of drugs that kills ticks and fleas through damage to the nervous system. Do your research. @Sarah-Jo K do you know the symptoms of the side affects? Lethargy is one, our dog apparently took it just fine for 8 months. Now she’s dead in a week after taking it for the 8th month. We weren’t aware of the signs so everything seemed normal. Good technical information in this article it also mentions “Due to their recent introduction there is very little knowledge on tolerance in different dog breeds or in young, old or otherwise weak animals.” https://parasitipedia.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2730&Itemid=2971

I gave my 70 pound pitbull 2 doses of 68 mg for dogs 24 to 60 pounds. And she wont stop itching. Any help?

I have a left over NexGard pill for dogs 10.1-24.0 pounds that I purchased for my puppy when he was in that weight range. He is over that weight limit now at 36 pounds. If I go ahead and give him that last pill will it be effective in preventing fleas since he’s over the weight limit? I will up him to the next weight range pill for next month but I really don’t want to waste this last pill I have.
I would find anything that is safer that Nexgard or Bravecto. I understand about already spending money on the Nexgard. but if you read on-line, research, you will see there has been many many serious health issues in dogs from these products

Our bulldog who is 80lbs spit out his nexguard chewable, (60-120lbs) & our little 7lbs Yorkie grabbed a small chunk of it. Will she be okay? Or should I call the vet ASAP? It’s also 8pm at night here
Call your vet just to be on the safe side. Can probably wait til morning. Good idea to detox your Yorkie with milk thistle. Just want to say that nexgard caused my dog to have seizures. If you are gonna use nexgard only use it when your dog has fleas. Why give your dog medicine every month if no fleas. Oh by the way this medicine stays in the system 3 months.You are a total moron. Quit giving false advice. Nexgard is a 1 month drug. Period. Bravecto is 3 months. And yes you should give flea meds year round regardless of visible fleas.

My MinPin is 9 years old has been on Nexgard for at least 7 years. She has recently developed liver problems. I am wondering if this preventative over the years could have damaged her liver?
Yes it can unfortunately. There are no studies about the long term effects. Studies were only done for about six months I believe. Please detox your dog with milk thistle or denamarin. It might help stabilize the liver a little. Please no more chemical flea treatments. Please dont beat yourself up over this. You did what you thought was best. Our vets let us down by not informing us of the potential side effects. My dog had seizures from nexgard so I know what you are going thru. I hope your dog starts to improve soon.I appreciate your response. She will no longer be given Nexgard and is on denamarin. She will soon be retested to see if there is an improvement. Thank you.Can someone please tell me what kind of milk thistle and dosage info for my 7 month old Maltese who weighs 7 1/2 pounds?

Last night i gave my lab puppy her dosage of nexguard and heartgard chewables and within 2 hours her stomach bloated and she looked uncomfortable. After reading all of these reviews about people saying their dogs have been having seizures and such it has me extremely worried. Did anyone’s dogs experience these bad side effects from one single dosage and did it happen over months?
My daughter gave her 19 week old puppy the first dose last night. Put it this way: we were up ALL NIGHT and so was the puppy, mostly. She noticed the inside of his ears turned a really deep and dark pink and pretty soon most of his body was that color. He began itching all over. I was really afraid he might go into anaphylactic shock and the Nexgard was the ONLY "new thing" in his environment. Fortunately, it did not go that far and we gave him a bath and some diphenhydramine. He then had diarrhea and has had LOTS of flatulence since as well as more diarrhea. I started researching on-line and found there are SO MANY reports of dogs turning "red" and having the incredible itchiness. Also saw numerous reports of dogs dying from seizures (never having had any before) after being dosed. My daughter took her pup to the vet this morning but they don't believe it's the NEXGARD. They wanted her to use it again next month!! Many of the reports I read (from pet parents) said the side effects were from first time dosing and some people with more than one dog said one dog might seem fine while other(s) would have reactions. After reading more about the "medication" and learning they have to be bitten for it to work and the ticks don't die until about 24 - 48 hours (not clear if the tick remains attached but thinking so), it's like this: WHAT IS THE POINT? Even IF they don't get Lyme, there are OTHER diseases that ticks spread a lot more quickly and any time they are around fleas and ticks, they STILL have to be bitten! So yes, this puppy never had NEXGARD before last night and the reaction was both bad (our opinion) and scary. My daughter blamed herself and also had a $70 vet bill just to "be safe". So far, a little more than 24 hours later he has a double dose of Benadryl the vet prescribed and is at least sleeping. His ears are still a very unnatural color inside and on the back (Almost the color of a beet). He doesn't seem to itch as much, but still has diarrhea and flatulence. He doesn't seem too interested in anything although occasionally he wants to investigate something or try to play. Definitely NOT his "normal self". We took pictures so that we can't be said to exaggerate the reaction and we took them after a lot of the red faded (we were too stressed and busy to think of it before). Won't be using this ever again. There was no information given by vet about the potential side effects and vet acted like my daughter was stupid to think the NEXGARD caused it. I've worked as a nurse and done a lot of research; most human and animal drugs are tested on healthy individuals with no other diseases or medicines (whenever possible) so once a drug is on the market, the REAL WORLD side effects are often not known for many years. It's good to always be aware when giving your pet any new medicine (or when they get vaccines) because some side effects are pretty rare. We plan, after this, to definitely check several sources for reviews and any news or FDA reports before new medications. Hope your lab is doing better; you can look around too on FB, there is a group for people whose pet had bad reaction or died; they also have links for more information and other medications that have had a lot of problems. Plus look for reputable information about ways to control fleas and ticks, etc. and you should be able to find something you will be comfortable using for your dog.

My dog is 60lbs, on the weighy limit for two of the nexguards. Should I give her the 25-60lb chewable or the 60-120lb chewable?
I am wondering the same. I am disturbed by their lack of response to your question.

I have several boxes of the up to 10kg nexgard and have a 40kg dog. Can i give her 3 of the 10kg chewables? I have them from my dog that passed away and hate for then to go to waste...they arent cheap.
It is based on weight, so shouldn't be a problem. You can check on each different box the ingredients amount relate to the weight range of the dog. They are too expensive.

My 9 month pup was treated today and just committed and acts tired, how long do the side effect last?

My 9lbs dog ate a nexguard for a 25 lbs dog.. will he be ok?

I have the 10 lb dose. Can I give my 4 month old, 4 lb puppy half?
Hi Sheree, I found your question because I've been searching the same thing. I've read on several pages that the NexGard chews can't be split because the active ingredient is not evenly distributed through it. It's a bummer because it would much cheaper for me to buy the XL dose and split it between my two dogs, than two L doses.I don't see the problem. Each piece wouldn't be made separately, it would come in a premixed sheet and cut to size per weight of dog. They probably don't want people to know you can so people buy more. Big business nowadays.Hi, Lucy, Everyone I know who has multiple dogs buys the biggest Nexgard dosage and then divides it among their dogs. My three dogs weigh a total of 38 kg so I buy the 25-50 kg dosage and use fifth-grade math to figure out how to divide it. My dogs are fine. I agree with Ben that it's the company trying to maximize profit by saying you can't do that. However, after using Nexgard for about two years, I've noticed that two of my dogs are scratching from fleas after 20 days. The third dog I've had for eight months, and he's still fine. So in addition to fleas becoming immune to it, maybe dogs do as well.

Our Standard Poodle doesn't like the NexGard chewable. He loves his HeartGard chewable. He will even sort it out of soft food after I break it into smaller pieces. Is there another flavor available? Any other ideas?

Is everyone posting on here about side effects lodging a complaint with the APVMA - Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority? It's really important to notify them. I don't know how many complaints are needed for them to do anything but it's guaranteed they will do nothing if they don't know there is a problem.

Tonight i gave my 10 lb min pin his dose and then my 50 lb boxer his dose and my min pin snatched up my boxers also. So he had 2 doses. Should I be worried?
No it will be, ok,my pit gets little. Sores on between toes, let me no if u need advice, but I brake them into too half's sir ho it works for a month. Very exspencive$for 3 save till summer, but it did grate flee treat house to or it comes back egg's. They were everywhere, in a week u treat home ,raid I spent alot, bombs too,105 lab pit bull its TV he weather. To warm

Have given new guard a week early by mistake will this harm her?
It might cause a buildup of medicine in your dog's system. Nexgard stays in the system for 30 to 45 days. I would keep a close eye on your dog. I would also call the vet and ask about using milk thistle to detox your dog. Most vets also carry Denamarin.I would recommend only giving the nexgard when your dog has fleas and not on a regular basis The problem with this medicine you never know when or if your dog will have a reaction. I used it off and on for a year with my dog before he had his first seizure. I hope your dog is okay but definitely call your vet. Definitely detox your dog with milk thistle or denamarin to be on the safe side. If your vet doesn't know the correct dosage for milk thistle there is a site on facebook. Does bravecto kill dogs that has links to detox your dog.. good luckI agree with Jessica. Call vet ASAP better safe than sorry. Both my dogs had a bad reaction to Nexgaurd with one dose.Can you please tell me the dosage amount and milk thistle product I need to detox for Nexgard for my 7 month old Maltese who weighs 7 1/2 pounds?

I gave my cockapoo nextgaurd two dsys ago he has not taken it in a year and now is having an allegic reaction to it how long does the allegic reaction last and does it get worse?
Nexgard stays in the system for longer than 30 days. I probably recommend taking your dog to the vet. I would also recommend detoxing your dog with milk thistle as soon as possible. This will help get the drug out of his system. Some vets are giving cholesteramine to bind the drug. There is a site does nexgard kill dog's on facebook with info with links on detoxing your dog and treatment of adverse effects. Whatever you do don't give your dog nexgard ever again. Your dog will be sensitive to all oral flea and topical flea medicines from this time on. Do your research about natural flea treatments for the future. Don't let your vet tell you that detox is not necessary because it is. I wish you luck.Should be ok ,but as they get older they will be puppy. Till 2 ,I don't think u will have a pw

I have been giving my 1 year old dog Nexgard every month. He's never had fleas/ticks, nor has he ever had any side effects. My concern is about the long-term. Are there any studies on whether Nexgard can cause any kind of damage if after (say...) several years of regular use? I'm very happy with the product, but I also don't like the idea of injecting a toxin into my dog's system every month unless it's proven to have no long-term effects! Any thoughts would be appreciated?
These meds can be cumulative. Like I said in my story my dog took it off and for a year before he had his first seizure. No there are no studies about the long-term effects with these meds. They stay in the system for more then 30 days.They are using are our dog's as guinea pigs to track the long-term effects. My advice to you would be to stop using nexgard before your dog has a reaction. I know your vet says it safe but when it is you dog that is having the reaction it is unbearable. I wish I had never given this to my dog.. My vet wont even admit it was the nexgard . My dog had no underlying medical conditions and is only 7 years old.. If you feel you must use it use it only when you have fleas and not monthly This might prevent the build up of the medicine in his system. The best way to treat fleas and ticks is the natural way. I learned this the hard way.Hi My dog has just started having major seizures, we believe it is related to Nexguard. US has put out a health warning against this product due to neurological side effects in some pets. Jessica, how is your dog now? Is he on anti siezure medication? Or did he stop seizing when it was out of his system. I am so worried about our beautiful girl and feel responsible to have fed her this poison. Thanks