201 questions from our users

Heidi H.

Heidi H.asked

if my dog is slightly over the weight of the tablet will it still work?

Britt

Brittasked

My mom gave her lab a chew and she spit it out unexpectedly and the little ten pound puppy got ahold of it and swallowed the whole thing ? Is he gonna be okay?

Brenda R.

Induce vomiting right away with peroxide. Look it up and give active charcoal tablets to try and soak up what is left in the stomach and then pray for the next three days.!

Courtney M

Courtney Masked

I gave my 6.8 lb Chihuahua a chewable yesterday. Today he's squinting his eyes and they're blood shot. He's sleeping alot. Could this be a reaction to the flea meds?

Joe Garza

Joe Garzaasked

I gave my three Chihuahuas NexGard 24 to 60 lb tablet but cut into fourths is that fine? one of them weighs a little more I gave her a half the other two gave them a 1/4 will they be fine

Jossie

Jossieasked

I have two 3 years old malti-poodle. I gave nexguard both at the same time like a treat but the first dog spit it out and the second dog took it. Will he be ok?

Brenda R.

Give peroxide 3% if you have it to induce vomiting. If it’s to late or you have it give charcoal to absorb the toxin. This can be life threatening. Please do what you can to remove the toxin

Joi P.

Joi P.asked

What happen if I give my dog too much dosage of nexgard that doesn't comparable to their weight?

Brenda R.

The most frequent ADRs to be expected are
Vomiting (~4%)
Dry skin (~3%)
Diarrhea (~3%)
Lethargy (~1.5%)
Eating disorders (anorexia) (~1.2%)

In September 2018 the FDA of the USA has alerted pet owners and veterinarians about potential neurological adverse events following the use of products containing isoxazolines. Some treated animals have experienced adverse events such as muscle tremors, ataxia (lack of voluntary coordination of muscle movements), and seizures. This regards all products containing isoxazolines. Most treated animals will not show such adverse drug reactions, but some may be affected.
Antidote and Treatment of Afoxolaner Intoxication

There is no antidote for afoxolaner poisoning.
Treatment consists in preventing further exposure together with supportive and symptomatic measures.
After accidental ingestion stomach lavage as well as administration of active charcoal administration and laxatives may be advisable.

holly

hollyasked

My dog got ahold of the nexgard chewalbes packages.....and ate at least 3 of
them.......Is this dangerous for her

Brenda R.

Yes extremely dangerous. Nexgard is a neurotoxin, meaning its is poison and the worst part is there is no way to remove the poison. If you can induce vomiting with peroxide quickly it would be the best thing you can do for your dog. Otherwise the side effects from brain poisoning your dog will suffer could potentially harm and or eventually kill your dog. Please research Nexgard and side effects. My dog has been having cluster seizures from a single dose.

Susanne F.
Susanne F.

gave my dog a nexgard for 3.5 kg dogs but he already weighs 5 kg. Should I give him another one or wait till the next one is due?

Almarie I.

Almarie I.asked

Today our smaller dog bout 5 maybe 6 kg dog grabbed the bigger dog's chewable (next guard) that's the 25-50kg . Is there any advice? Has this happened to anyone else before? Its been 4 hours and he still seem himself. What's should I prepare for??

Brenda R.

Get milk thistle for his liver and read up on detoxing youre dog. You cannot remove the poison but you can support his body as he struggles to to deal with the poison. There are a whole hose of things to watch for including neurological disorders like seizures. I suggest you read up on Nexgard side effects and seizures.

Esty

Estyasked

I have two dogs one in 2.3.5 kg range and one 3.6 to 7.5 kg range. This morning the smaller dog accidentally managed to eat both chews. Is she at risk? Do I have to get her to a vet?

Brenda R.

Omg watch her for any adverse reaction. Look up side effects on google. There is nothing your vet can do other than treat the side effects. If you can get Milk Thistle give a few drops in her water bowl it will help support her liver. You can also give some activated charcoal for any stomach upsets. I really hope your dog is ok!! Mine has been having seizures after his very first single dose! Dont give them this poison!!!

Patty Harris

Patty Harrisasked

NexGuard is hard and NOT chewable. Buy 6 mo supply at Costco. Is there a way to soften it for my dog. She eats everything else...just doesn't like these? [email removed]

Brenda R.

Do not give your dog this. My dog has been having seizures since his very first dose. Search google on Nexgard and seizures

ben dover
ben dover

DO NOT give this crap to your dog

Judi N.asked

My dog weighs 25.6 lbs; they increased her Nexgard up to the 25.1-60 lbs dose. Can I give 1/2 the chewy with her am meal, & the rest with her pm meal ( in the same day). ?

Noel C
Noel C

My dog weighs around 4kilo she is 8.5 years and now has zero fleas and no scratching so far no side effects.

This is not an answer

Brenda R.

My dog is dying after just one Nexgard chewy. He is a 4 month old Golden Doodle. I gave him just one chewy and the seizures started less that 48 hours. Search google for Nexgard and seizures. I wouldn't give that poison to my worst enemy!!!

Pam S.asked

I have been reading all these negative reviews on Nexgard and is kind of scary seems to be more bad reviews than good reviews. Is it really bad or worse than other flea and tick pills?

Griffos
Griffos

I gave nexgard to my last beagle every month since it first came in the market. He was fine with it and passed away just after his 16th birthday (which is an amazing age). We got a new beagle a week ago and he has been given nexgard without any side effects. Like all medicines with humans its possible dogs have side effects too. Some of the above mentioned cases may not have anything to do with the medicine. You will always hear about the bad cases on line as people are quick to let everyone know their story but people dont often take the time to praise someone/a product.

RSaxton

Based on our experience, I would not use it. I'm not sure that NexGard is any worse than any of the other chewable products (e.g. Bravecto, about which there are also many negative reports), but I'm now of the opinion that introducing any such chemical into your dog's system which, by design, is intended to persist for long periods in the dog's system, is inherently dangerous. Our vet says the operative product is designed to bond to the proteins in the blood. Once there, there is no way to flush it out. It will hopefully dissipate over time, but if an adverse reaction occurs, there is little you can do. There is no antidote. The manufacturer apparently acknowledges there have been problems with the livers of some dogs being affected. I would use either one of the topically applied flea & tick medications or a good old-fashioned flea & tick collar. I'll never give another dog a flea & tick chewable; it is not worth the risk.

MarMar
MarMar

thanks @RSaxon, I'm a first time dog owner and I appreciate very much your informative comment. you've mentioned "topically applied tick & flea" medications; my dogs previous owner asked me to use exelpet flea treatment. i've been using it for the last couple of months and he has been fine with this product. However, it's only for flea treatment. i checked exelpet for flea and tick and the review is pretty bad! could you kindly recommned a better product. My dog is 3.2 kg chi :D thank you very much for your time PS I'll also look for tick collar, thanks

Pam S.asked

My dogs take Heartgard Plus i am going to start giving them Nexgard will this be o.k.?

RSaxton

Our dog was using Heartgard before the switch to NexGard Spectra. In our case, the switch to NexGard was possibly the cause of our dog's death.

Pam S.asked

Do i have to give my dogs a bath before using Nexgard? Also if you are not sure weight of dog will it hurt?

Jwolin
Jwolin

You have to know exactly how much your dog weigh to give the correct dosage - overdose can be fatal.

Doris M.

Doris M.asked

Correction my question should read not sure my 10 Lb and 15 Lb got their nexgard plus on Monday when can I re-dose?

I wouldn't.

Doris M.

Doris M.asked

Not sure my 10 and 15 pound poodles got their doses the other day - when is it safe to reside - the 10 Lb poodle is on antibiotic right now?

RSaxton

In my opinion the product is unsafe. There are some dogs who tolerate it very well. Some dogs get sick with relatively minor reactions and fully recover. Some dogs show more severe, but non-fatal, reactions, but symptoms of those reactions persist for a long time, even months later. And, there are those, who like my dog, that die as a result. Most dogs appear to display whatever reaction that is occurring within only a few hours or the next day. Some owners report what they believe are reactions to a NexGard product a week or more later, although this is less common. In our case, it was the 6th day (say, about 130 hours) before our dog clearly was ill. She was probably displaying less obvious reactions before then, but on the 4th and 5th day she was not constantly in our presence. I desperately hope that the antibiotics work for your poodle. They were not effective for our Border Collie. Although treatment was not successful for our dog and proved to be extremely expensive, I do not regret the attempt to save her. We had to give up only when it became clear that it was hopeless and was causing her distress without hope of recovery. I regret to say that once the NexGard product is in your dog's system, there is no way to flush it out of the dogs system. There are owners who report finding dead fleas in their dogs' coats months after ceasing to use NexGard, so the operative chemical appears to stay in the system a long time. I wish you and your poodle the best of luck.

MaKayla M.

MaKayla M.asked

I estimated my dog weighed 10lbs but I weighed her and she only weighs 8lbs. The nexgard chewables I ordered are for dogs 10.1lbs to 24lbs. Would it be safe to give her this dosage? She has gained a pound because I changed her food and I think she will reach 10lbs here soon..

Pat Donaldson

Pat Donaldsonasked

Chewables Red (For Dogs 25 - 50kg)

Can the 60 lbs tablet harm a 48 lb dog

Tim E.

Stick to the correct dosage, it can make your dog sick if you give it a higher dose than it is supposed to have

Luchie Benecio G.

Luchie Benecio G.asked

Chewables Green (For Dogs 10.1 - 24kg)

Please help. By mistake, I've given my pug nexgard after 15 days of giving it to him. Is that okay? Or did I overdose him? I misread the date I wrote on his diary. I'm so worried. :-(

Tim E.

Talk to your vet and keep close eye on him/her

Mels

Melsasked

I cant remember whether I gave my dog his Nexgard chewable last week when he was supposed to have it. He is going into a kennel for a few days and now I dont know whether to give him another dose in case it makes him sick. Please advise

Get an answer from our members and Nexgard representatives