Nissan Navara

100,000km has been a great ute minus

Bought my ST 4x4 back in 2015 has been a great ute minus one occasion with the lh rear axel seal being deformed and weeping at 20,000km. Got this fixed under warranty however the dealership I dealt with were incredibly painful.
Just clocked up 100,000km now and the car has had no issues since. Currently has 2 inch lift with 32 inch tyres, bullbar and canopy with drawer system roof racks etc. and get 700 to 750km out of about 65 liters, not dreadful given the vehicles size and modifications.

Purchased .

Good
Good
TransmissionAutomatic
BoughtNew
Performance
Acceleration / Power
Good
Handling
Good
Fuel Efficiency
Good
Design
Interior Design
Boot Size
Good
Features
OK
Comfort

The best by far!

Done nearly 60k in just over 3 years. Extremely comfortable and tows like a demon. Would another tomorrow if the finances allowed. No real issues and mine is a May 15 build so one of the very first. Wife absolutely loves it.

Purchased at Parry Nissan Townsville .

Noise Level
Suspension
OK
Gear Shifting
Fuel Efficiency
Good
Design
Interior Design
Boot Size
Features
Comfort

3 oil leaks at the same time

been over two years since last review, I had 3 oil leaks at the same time, noticed when during heatwave it smelt like my car was going to catch fire, booked it into Nissan, confirmed turbo intake pipe leak, transfer case leak, and suspected leak of timing chain cover gasket (3-4 day job), if looking from the front of the engine bay, that was located say, 1 O'clock from the Fan pulley, right where two gaskets meet. 3 months, 4 dealer visits, finally got the approval for warranty to repair.
Vehicle only had 37,000 klms on it when it went in for 1st inspection.
The drivers door window developed a rattle/vibration, it was found a bolt for the door handle behind the trim needed to be tightened.
other then the above, overall a nice car to drive. did fine in 4x4 mode.

Date PurchasedJul 2016

Average ute

The Ute drives good, does lag at times but does the job. Service is pricier than some & dealer does skim on oils though; my brake fluid had been left low for three services despite me reminding them (Essendon Fields Nissan). Lacks cabin storage space, no ISO baby seat connection, windscreen washer is barely sufficient, really lags power when towing. Wouldn’t recommend but is a good budget Ute.

Engine Size2.3L Turbo Diesel
Date PurchasedJun 2017

The best thing in my life

I do everything with this truck towing a 18ft boat for hours down the freeway, camping, off road and daily commute and it's so comfortable for long trips long service intervals ate great engine has plenty of power to get the job done and can't even see the filuel guage move

Date PurchasedJun 2018

My third Navara; it's a curious experience..

Having had a Nissan Navara ST-X petrol, an ST-X-550 diesel and now an STX 2.3 litre twin turbo diesel, all crew cabs, I'm not exactly sure what I have this time. It appears to be the first of a new generation of 4WDs: built lightly (or it appears to be) and a "small" high performance diesel engine.

What does Nissan seem to have fixed since the last Navara?
- they fixed up the bouncing, slumping loose rear end when cornering. The car now handles really well although seems to be lighter, missing some weight on really uneven roads.
- and thank goodness they've got rid of the turbo lag. That's no small issue because the turbo lag on the 550 was awful.
- they've added 12 volt sockets in the tray area and on the dash, both of which do not have to have ignition on.

What does Nissan seem to have messed up in this model?
- the air conditioning is terrible. The auto control is useless and persistently needs to be disabled so you can control it manually...otherwise part of you freezes.
- they no longer have a "top-of-the-line" model in my view. The leather seats etc are available but appointments such as electronic seats in the passenger side have been removed. I was gobsmacked that I could not order a digital radio as a Nissan option. I wrongly assumed it would come standard in the ST-X.
- The tailgate absolutely sucks dust. I don't even think it's sandproof let alone dustproof. After 20 km of dirt road, I have to hose out the tray. Good thing the law no longer allows kiddies in the tray because you would spiflicate them.

What have they changed in this model?
- the 2.3 l twin turbo diesel: I'm just not sure about this. It's noisy (very noisy in fact for such a small engine) and to get a similar performance to the ST-X 550 one has to pretty well red-line this diesel which is something which I do not like doing.
- they've added the 360 degree cameras which is an excellent Innovation for parking assist. I wish I had more advice from the dealeron this because I would not have put a couple of small spotties on the nudge bar which effectively blocks part of the forward camera. So I guess that's something they may not have thought through for Australian cars: either you put an LED bar over the top of your bull bar / nudge bar or you end up doing what I did and compromise the full view of the 360 degree system with spot lights.
- the fuel economy is absolutely fantastic and I can really appreciate the fewer fuel stops I need to make. I am getting 7.5 l per 100 km city cycle and as low as 7.0 l per 100 km country.
- they have added an electric sliding back window which is brilliant if you choose the right canopy to allow access to it. It's not large but it's big enough to take low-light items through such as fishing rods, conduit etc.

I see that the Ford Ranger and the Nissan Navara have both the smaller higher compression twin turbo diesel engines, although the Ford offer it as an option I believe. In this new Navara, I just don't know whether the engine will last (almost) red-lining regularly as I take off from stopped. Ok, yes, I guess I could back off but I am not particularly heavy-footed I can assure you. The 7 speed gearbox doesn't seem particularly well matched for this engine because of the red-lining issue, although I admit I am not an automotive engineer's toenail and wouldn't really know what I'm talking about there.

All in all I'm not entirely sure what to make of this Navara. I think it is a courageous step into the future with the smaller capacity, high performance diesel engine that delivers supposedly 140 kW. I do feel a bit of a guinea pig with this car as I think refinements in future models will improve the deployment of the smaller engine. The appointments are quite spartan but I do like the driver's seating ergonomics and always have in the Navaras.

I think I did right choosing this car but I believe Nissan have a lot of easily-executed improvements to make...or there will not be a 4th Navara.

Date PurchasedJul 2018

Love my ute

So love my ute have had it over 1yr and love it. Economic to run, heaps of power. Only thing I could say I don't like is the custom lid for the tray let's all the dust in. I can live with that though. Color options are limited as well. Would look awesome in Blue.

BadgeST-R Special Edition
Date PurchasedNov 2017
Drive4WD

She’s a beauty with a long life!

Bought my Nissan Navara d22 new in 2014. Done 112 000kms in that time (it’s now 2019) and it hasn’t missed a beat. The brakes are yet to be replaced with what I would expect a long way to go. The clutch is beautiful not a problem. It obviously doesn’t have the power of a new v6 Amarok nor the lack of power as a 1993 triton or hilux May have. When needed it has the power you need and around town it’s a pleasure to drive. If you are into 4wding, touring, camping or even just hauling gear in the back or on a medium to small trailer then you won’t be disappointed (even a first time car buyer, if you have the money because they do hold their value). I personally bought it for 4wding, loading up the back and touring, and it’s done just that with ease and comfort. Space wise you wouldn’t be able to fit three grown men in the back comfortably but you could easily fit three kids or teenagers in there with room to spare. The accessories are endless ranging from aftermarket to genuine and if serviced well can last as long as you want. I’m extremely happy with mine and if your looking for one make sure it’s well looked after first and you’ll love it and never want to sell it!

Date PurchasedMay 2014

Oil leak!

Car went in Sept 2018 for service and oil leak.
They had to replace oil seal (apparently common problem).
My car is now back for the 4th time to fix oil leak. It is now leaking from sump and Nissan can't seem to fix it. The car is now standing there for almost a month.
Had a call from them last week that car was fixed, but when I went to pick it up, found oil leak. Told them that I am not taking the car.

Date PurchasedAug 2016

Great Car

Great car, purchased new, I knew from the test drive back seat was cramped and power was low, but 6 years later, drives like the day I bought it, I think it will last another 10 years, only changed, oil, filters and tyres... Easy to service and work on, low tech, just the way I like it. Well built solid workhorse and weekend warrior.

Date PurchasedFeb 2013

Worst car ever!

Rubbish car rubbish service no warranty back up Blackburn Nissan only want your money then shaft you and make excuses ignore calls. !! Avoid like plague as an ex mechanic the reliability of the vehicle is very poor not to mention cheap thin paint that chips at the gust of wind let alone stones.

Date PurchasedAug 2016

Cheap and nasty

Over the last 20 years I’ve had 3 Navaras and 5 Hilux’s as my work utes so I have a bit of background
The D22 was my first Navana and by far the worse and also the cheapest
It look good with the alloy wheels and colour match bars , but it rides very rough the seating position is terrible and the cabin noise is high
I did 100k in the car and had no problems! So it it’s reliable and got the job done , but I would buy another !
Power is low, but fuel economy is good
At the time I got a great deal from Nissan as it was the old model , but my resale was just as poor .
If money is tight then this car could work for you

Date PurchasedFeb 2010

Exceeded expectations

Was totally set on a hilux as a toyota fan but went to nissan for a quick look. The price point and features completely sold it for me. The coil springs while under a bit of scrutiny are fantastic and feels like your driving a car and doesnt bounce all over the place. Drivers assists, and looks amd standard tub liner all suckered me in. Absolutley love it for what i want it for.

Cabin noises from engine

Disappointed cabin noise to loud to have a conversation
Just hit the 1000 ready for first service
Went for a four hour drive .stopped and didnt want to drive any further. The noise from the engine left my ears ringing. Noise causes stress stress causes fatigue. Fatigue causes accidents
Will be talking about this at the first service

2018 RX First impressions not good

Took delivery of a new 2018 Navara dual cab RX after driving an Amarok for the last 5 years.
Literally jumped out of the Amarok and into the Navara and first impressions are not good.
The 5 year old base model Amarok with 180k is twice the car the new Navara is in every department.
The old Amarok had better steering, acceleration, suspension, seats, controls, road noise, engine noise.
The new Navara has boat like steering (not joking) its bad. Big diesel tank like engine noise (have to turn the radio up)
Lots of corner lean (takes away steering confidence). The front and rear seats are small in comparison to the Amarok.
Lots of smaller deficiencies too. No auto up windows for passengers. No digital speedo, No heated mirrors. (Needed in the frost) No auto open/close windows from the remote. Smaller glove box, Smaller centre console compartment. No rear seat centre arm rest or head rest. The fit out genuinely feels cheap.
If the base model Amarok gets 4 star ratings from reviews the best the Navara should get is 2.
Very disappointing.

BadgeRX
Engine Size2.3L Turbo Diesel
Drive4WD

Nissan Navara is the best vehicle to buy. But the passenger area is less spacious

I have a Nissan Navara D22 2006, ST-R 3L. I bought it in Melbourne & drove to Cairns. Then I drove it to Brisbane. From Brisbane, I came to Esperance in WA. Each time I had a trailer with it. I bought it in 2016 and it is now 2018. In between, I have driven almost 30000kms. I regularly service the car by myself. change oil in every 5000kms. always use Penrite oil. Have change diesel filter a few times. This is the best vehicle to buy.

Engine Size3.0L Turbo Diesel
Date PurchasedNov 2016

Too good

Had since new, faultless, really cant complain about anything, good price servicing, tows really well, good offroad, has great engine noise for a turbo diesel, i've done 136 in it and nothings gone wrong, still almost looks new. Locking lid is a good thing too, plenty of room inside and in tub

BadgeST-X 550
Engine Size3.0L V6 Turbo Diesel
Date PurchasedAug 2013

Oil Leaks.

1st leak was the Transfer Case , end result was replace half of the Transfer Case.
2nd leak was found during a service , where one of the rear axles was leaking.
3rd leak which i have just found is coming from the top of the motor somewhere. I had the Nissan car assit come out ( which is the racv ) and he thought it maybe the turbo.
It has done 70000 klm and has been a good ute , but back to Nissan we go .

Date PurchasedDec 2015
DriveFWD

Surpassed Expectations

This car has been excellent. We are recreational users and have just completed two long trips and the vehicle is great on the road, comfortable for a truck with a car like interior, excellent space and has fulfilled expectations. Over 17000 km in six months. Of course long term reliability yet to be established.
On the negative-Like other companies Nissan needs to get out of the GPS business- Apple Carplay would be much better. Nav is serviceable but we often defer to google maps on the phone. A light on the key barrel would be great and easy to add.

BadgeST N-Sport
Date PurchasedMay 2018

Repairs

Hi guys is it a big/ costly job to fix a 4wd pin that won't engage in a 2006
I'm looking at buying one that needs work What do you think? It only for a tow tug won't use it much thanks for your thought can pick up fairly cheap and only need 2wd anyway

BadgeDX