Nissan Navara

Nissan Navara

NP300, D22 and D40

Great drive, BUT!

My 2016 NP300 RX has been great. It’s a comfortable ride, tows my 18’ van easily, plenty of power, reliable ... most of the time.

Since new the car has had an issue with sustained low speed where you need to feather the throttle, such as driving along a road with numerous roundabouts, like the Main Street of Bunbury, Western Australia. The engine misses (coughs) as if there’s a huge lag in the computer getting the message to the fuel system. Another time this is bad is when driving off road where a constant speed can’t be maintained.

Despite repeated attempts to get this fixed, because the computer doesn’t register a problem, the service department say there is nothing to fix. Even after taking one of the mechanics for a drive his comment was “OMG, that’s a bad miss!”, still no joy.

This Friday it’s booked in again and I’m hoping after talking with the dealer principal, this time they may actually achieve something.

But seriously, I’ll be ready to upgrade in 2 years time and would be proud to have another Navara. Sadly, this experience is enough to put me off, unless the service people finally take me seriously and fix it!

Purchased in August 2016 at Nissan Dealers.

Year2,016

Great ute but

NP300, only complaint is the paint finish is much too thin and chips far too easily, 2nd Nissan in the last 4 years and both have had the same problem, thought it was a one off, obviously not

Purchased in March 2019 at Albany Nissan.

BoughtUsed

Bucket of crap

No good at all the Ute took off on my wife had a mind of its own . The car then reved out to the max and then shut itself down

Purchased in March 2012 at Nissan Dealers.

Year2,013
Nissan said not there problem $59 grand down the drain

Good Ute not Great

Had this car for 3 months now. Fuel economy was 13.7l when I picked it up and now is 11.1l. When doing 100kmh its doing 1600 revs in 7th gear. Radio reception is poor as is the bluetooth connection. Headlights are only adequate and I am looking at getting either a nudge bar or a bullbar to mount driving lights. The 3l v6 turbo diesel has similar power and torque figures as the Amarok and X Class yet it came it 8 years go but was phased out due not meeting the Euro 6 emission requirements.

Vibration issue

Warning warning warning, navara has vibration issue. Nissan Australia and dealers fully aware of the problems but choose to ignore it. Do not buy 1. I would take a Great Wall over it, at least then you would be dealing with a company that cares!

Purchased in February 2019.

Rubbish.. buy a ldv

This car should not be allowed on our roads. It is unsafe on any road. It should be rated as 100kg payload. Which would be just the driver.
Reliabity is a separate issue. 3rd set of injectors, 3rd drivers seat, half a dash .. it really is a disgrace.

Purchased in July 2017 at Nissan Dealers for $50,000.00.

Year2,017
Comfort

Traded the BT50 for a NP300 Navara...

Feeling underwhelmed. Traded a BT50 XTR for a 2018 NP300 ST-X. It looks good, love the leather and sunroof but feeling underwhelmed overall.
Negatives:
- Seriously lacks power, especially when wanting to overtake on single lanes.
- Fuel economy is far higher than what was listed on the windscreen.
- feels very top heavy when cornering and frustrating when you feel the cab roll out of corners.
- gearbox is crunchy, and even more so when you try and shift gears quickly. Delay your change out of first and it settles slightly.
- sound system lol yeah ok.

Coming from a BT50 where you have buckets of high and low power, thumping sound system and quality internal plastics, it does make me question whether or not I made the right choice. Ive only ever owned 1 BT50 after owning 2 D40 Navaras and I’ll have a serious decision when this lease is up in 2.5 years.

Purchased in February 2019.

130,000 km firewall cracked ,clutch broken weld

2012 d40 brought it new ,only used for private use,highway use 90% of time 130,00km clutch felt strange and gear change became notchie. Taken to local nissan dealer how inspected it and said it was a manufacturer fault . nissan head office claimed it was through fair wear and tear even still having original clutch in it .It is unable to be driven and nissan claim it will cost $20,000 to fit. The ute has been serviced as per log book ,and the last service was only 3 weeks earlier. It has only second set of tyres on it. And only second set of disc pads. so no help from nissan . thanks for nothing, never again

Purchased in January 2013 for $36.00.

Year2,008

Hasn't missed a beat

Had our 2015 NP300 ST for 3 and a half years now and around 60,000K. Used as the daily commute vehicle, maybe 10 trips towing our pop top caravan (including a recent 3,000K trip), and multiple trips helping the kids move house, tip runs etc.
We had one issue right back at the start with an intercooler hose that wasn't clamped tight enough and blew off - an issue with predelivery at the wharf that was happening with the early deliveries. Other than that we have not had a single issue and very happy with the vehicle. We probably haven't had more that about 200kg load in the back - I understand big loads with the early models can be an issue with the suspension, but we havent seen any..

Purchased in October 2015.

100,000km has been a great ute minus

Bought my ST 4x4 back in 2015 has been a great ute minus one occasion with the lh rear axel seal being deformed and weeping at 20,000km. Got this fixed under warranty however the dealership I dealt with were incredibly painful.
Just clocked up 100,000km now and the car has had no issues since. Currently has 2 inch lift with 32 inch tyres, bullbar and canopy with drawer system roof racks etc. and get 700 to 750km out of about 65 liters, not dreadful given the vehicles size and modifications.

Purchased in November 2015.

The best by far!

Done nearly 60k in just over 3 years. Extremely comfortable and tows like a demon. Would another tomorrow if the finances allowed. No real issues and mine is a May 15 build so one of the very first. Wife absolutely loves it.

Purchased in December 2015 at Parry Nissan Townsville .

3 oil leaks at the same time

been over two years since last review, I had 3 oil leaks at the same time, noticed when during heatwave it smelt like my car was going to catch fire, booked it into Nissan, confirmed turbo intake pipe leak, transfer case leak, and suspected leak of timing chain cover gasket (3-4 day job), if looking from the front of the engine bay, that was located say, 1 O'clock from the Fan pulley, right where two gaskets meet. 3 months, 4 dealer visits, finally got the approval for warranty to repair.
Vehicle only had 37,000 klms on it when it went in for 1st inspection.
The drivers door window developed a rattle/vibration, it was found a bolt for the door handle behind the trim needed to be tightened.
other then the above, overall a nice car to drive. did fine in 4x4 mode.

BadgeST
Date PurchasedJul 2016

Average ute

The Ute drives good, does lag at times but does the job. Service is pricier than some & dealer does skim on oils though; my brake fluid had been left low for three services despite me reminding them (Essendon Fields Nissan). Lacks cabin storage space, no ISO baby seat connection, windscreen washer is barely sufficient, really lags power when towing. Wouldn’t recommend but is a good budget Ute.

BadgeST
Engine Size2.3L Turbo Diesel
Date PurchasedJun 2017

The best thing in my life

I do everything with this truck towing a 18ft boat for hours down the freeway, camping, off road and daily commute and it's so comfortable for long trips long service intervals ate great engine has plenty of power to get the job done and can't even see the filuel guage move

Date PurchasedJun 2018

My third Navara; it's a curious experience..

Having had a Nissan Navara ST-X petrol, an ST-X-550 diesel and now an STX 2.3 litre twin turbo diesel, all crew cabs, I'm not exactly sure what I have this time. It appears to be the first of a new generation of 4WDs: built lightly (or it appears to be) and a "small" high performance diesel engine.

What does Nissan seem to have fixed since the last Navara?
- they fixed up the bouncing, slumping loose rear end when cornering. The car now handles really well although seems to be lighter, missing some weight on really uneven roads.
- and thank goodness they've got rid of the turbo lag. That's no small issue because the turbo lag on the 550 was awful.
- they've added 12 volt sockets in the tray area and on the dash, both of which do not have to have ignition on.

What does Nissan seem to have messed up in this model?
- the air conditioning is terrible. The auto control is useless and persistently needs to be disabled so you can control it manually...otherwise part of you freezes.
- they no longer have a "top-of-the-line" model in my view. The leather seats etc are available but appointments such as electronic seats in the passenger side have been removed. I was gobsmacked that I could not order a digital radio as a Nissan option. I wrongly assumed it would come standard in the ST-X.
- The tailgate absolutely sucks dust. I don't even think it's sandproof let alone dustproof. After 20 km of dirt road, I have to hose out the tray. Good thing the law no longer allows kiddies in the tray because you would spiflicate them.

What have they changed in this model?
- the 2.3 l twin turbo diesel: I'm just not sure about this. It's noisy (very noisy in fact for such a small engine) and to get a similar performance to the ST-X 550 one has to pretty well red-line this diesel which is something which I do not like doing.
- they've added the 360 degree cameras which is an excellent Innovation for parking assist. I wish I had more advice from the dealeron this because I would not have put a couple of small spotties on the nudge bar which effectively blocks part of the forward camera. So I guess that's something they may not have thought through for Australian cars: either you put an LED bar over the top of your bull bar / nudge bar or you end up doing what I did and compromise the full view of the 360 degree system with spot lights.
- the fuel economy is absolutely fantastic and I can really appreciate the fewer fuel stops I need to make. I am getting 7.5 l per 100 km city cycle and as low as 7.0 l per 100 km country.
- they have added an electric sliding back window which is brilliant if you choose the right canopy to allow access to it. It's not large but it's big enough to take low-light items through such as fishing rods, conduit etc.

I see that the Ford Ranger and the Nissan Navara have both the smaller higher compression twin turbo diesel engines, although the Ford offer it as an option I believe. In this new Navara, I just don't know whether the engine will last (almost) red-lining regularly as I take off from stopped. Ok, yes, I guess I could back off but I am not particularly heavy-footed I can assure you. The 7 speed gearbox doesn't seem particularly well matched for this engine because of the red-lining issue, although I admit I am not an automotive engineer's toenail and wouldn't really know what I'm talking about there.

All in all I'm not entirely sure what to make of this Navara. I think it is a courageous step into the future with the smaller capacity, high performance diesel engine that delivers supposedly 140 kW. I do feel a bit of a guinea pig with this car as I think refinements in future models will improve the deployment of the smaller engine. The appointments are quite spartan but I do like the driver's seating ergonomics and always have in the Navaras.

I think I did right choosing this car but I believe Nissan have a lot of easily-executed improvements to make...or there will not be a 4th Navara.

Date PurchasedJul 2018

Love my ute

So love my ute have had it over 1yr and love it. Economic to run, heaps of power. Only thing I could say I don't like is the custom lid for the tray let's all the dust in. I can live with that though. Color options are limited as well. Would look awesome in Blue.

BadgeST-R Special Edition
Date PurchasedNov 2017
Drive4WD

She’s a beauty with a long life!

Bought my Nissan Navara d22 new in 2014. Done 112 000kms in that time (it’s now 2019) and it hasn’t missed a beat. The brakes are yet to be replaced with what I would expect a long way to go. The clutch is beautiful not a problem. It obviously doesn’t have the power of a new v6 Amarok nor the lack of power as a 1993 triton or hilux May have. When needed it has the power you need and around town it’s a pleasure to drive. If you are into 4wding, touring, camping or even just hauling gear in the back or on a medium to small trailer then you won’t be disappointed (even a first time car buyer, if you have the money because they do hold their value). I personally bought it for 4wding, loading up the back and touring, and it’s done just that with ease and comfort. Space wise you wouldn’t be able to fit three grown men in the back comfortably but you could easily fit three kids or teenagers in there with room to spare. The accessories are endless ranging from aftermarket to genuine and if serviced well can last as long as you want. I’m extremely happy with mine and if your looking for one make sure it’s well looked after first and you’ll love it and never want to sell it!

BadgeST-R
Engine Size2.5L Turbo Diesel
Date PurchasedMay 2014

Oil leak!

Car went in Sept 2018 for service and oil leak.
They had to replace oil seal (apparently common problem).
My car is now back for the 4th time to fix oil leak. It is now leaking from sump and Nissan can't seem to fix it. The car is now standing there for almost a month.
Had a call from them last week that car was fixed, but when I went to pick it up, found oil leak. Told them that I am not taking the car.

Date PurchasedAug 2016

Great Car

Great car, purchased new, I knew from the test drive back seat was cramped and power was low, but 6 years later, drives like the day I bought it, I think it will last another 10 years, only changed, oil, filters and tyres... Easy to service and work on, low tech, just the way I like it. Well built solid workhorse and weekend warrior.

BadgeST-R
Engine Size2.5L Turbo Diesel
Date PurchasedFeb 2013

Worst car ever!

Rubbish car rubbish service no warranty back up Blackburn Nissan only want your money then shaft you and make excuses ignore calls. !! Avoid like plague as an ex mechanic the reliability of the vehicle is very poor not to mention cheap thin paint that chips at the gust of wind let alone stones.

Date PurchasedAug 2016