Panasonic DMR-HWT260GN

Panasonic DMR-HWT260GN

MPN: 36376101

not a good start !

Bought it this morning. already confused, needs more cables than the cheap Topfield (which I have to replace because it's not supported update it-grrr!) The remote control is not compatible with TEAC tv; which means I have to use two remotes, very poor ! I notice Hisense is not listed either ! Buyer beware. Technology certainly isn't making life simpler ! I haven't even connected it up yet - lets hope it works !

January 30th 2019 Update: getting worse

see previous comments just below
easy to navigate = no ! does it do as much as the cheap Topfield (no longer supported) = no. (for ex - not able to divide programs into various folders - topfield did !
do I regret buying it - yes; because it is so difficult to figure out;
do I have a choice = no; not if I want to record programs ! the Teac one seemed to have poor reviews; the Humax is even more expensive
recording quality is fine - but that is of little comfort !
life has certainly become more complicated - my old cathode tv and vhs tape recorder seemed to work pretty well !

Date PurchasedJan 2019

Great unit, well documented and easy to setup

The unit works smoothly and without fuss or complexity. The setup was well guided by the on screen prompts. The Program Guide is excellent and recording is reliable and easy to find and playback. We read the reviews before we bought the unit - the 'No Mute' was at first a concern but the PAUSE LIVE TV actually is better as you don't miss anything while in PAUSE. I would recommend this unit.

Date PurchasedJan 2019
Hi Garry, thank you for providing such great feedback on the unit. Pausing Live TV is a great feature!

great buy

Great reliable product, records 2 programs while watching another, records in good quality, easy to find buttons & the guide is quick & easy to follow for free to air, freeview & any programs for streaming. Have one for the family room & now this one for the lounge room great to have same because we can record on the two products & be able to set them up as a homegroup enabling viewing one program from the family room in the lounge room
Would definitely recommend

Date PurchasedSep 2018
Hi Marli, thank you for taking the time to provide your positive feedback on your recorders.

Does The Job But Opportunities Missed

Video playback reproduction is very good, however audio is somewhat ordinary. EPG is excellent, providing all channels in a single view and both single shows or series recordings can be set from this interface. If manual setting is required, only single or weekly repeat is available - daily, weekday or weekend program settings aren't permitted . This is extremely unusual, a situation I've never encountered before.
On the plus side, the unit has been 100% recording reliable to date. Both timer recording and playback menus are easy to navigate, although the former includes features that most people will never use.
USB playback is mixed. While video reproduction is good, again audio is somewhat sub-par. While a wide range of video formats are supported, advanced audio codecs aren't making the experience quite frustrating. It also doesn't support USB playback during a recording - quite ridiculous really, all in the name of Freeview support I'm guessing!

Overall a good unit at a reasonable price, but I can't help thinking it could have been even better with a few relatively minor tweaks. Opportunities missed!

Date PurchasedAug 2018
Hi Jshore, thank you for taking the time to provide such detailed feedback on your product.Thanks - I'm pretty happy with the unit, although I'd be even happier if you could improve some of the deficiencies outlined above.... maybe with a firmware update???

Very Happy with It

I have simple needs when it comes to recording shows, so this device caters for all I need (and more). It was easy to set-up, easy to program, easy to get to internet options such as iView, etc. and easy to view your recorded list. I can't live without it now. I haven't had any issue with missed shows, etc. The recording quality is very good (can't fault it).

Date PurchasedJul 2017

Just a PVR

it's Ok, I've always been a big fan of Panasonic but of late I don't know where they've gone wrong but Panasonic isn't upto standards of yesterday, this PVR is Ok, it hasn't missed any programs, lets you know when there is a clash of timed programs, better than others on the market but it seems to be missing certain simple features and one that I need is a reminder of when a program is about to start. Other than that it's not a bad product, still believe that Panasonic have dropped their standards.

Date PurchasedAug 2017

Excellent User Friendly Product

Had a faulty Humax DVR replaced 2 times before finally getting a store credit and paying a little more for this Panasonic DVR . Easy to install and set up . Easy to navigate the menu . Netflix button . Series recording and great storage space . Very user friendly. It’s a twin tuner so records 2 programs at a time which is standard ... if you want to record 4 programs at a time go spend more money and purchase a quad recorder . Not sure what some customers expect for one of the less expensive PVR’s ? Couldn’t be happier after a year trying to get some service and a DVR that worked out of Humax .

Date PurchasedMar 2018

Not up to today's expected standard.

Not worth the money. No good, 30 second blackout, program recorded lost yet showed 122 minutes recorded, Panasonic say see page..... Plenty of storage space, unit on time for recordings, but quality not so good. Replaced another Panasonic that dropped FHD channels 6 months after purchase, then could not record 2 programs at once! Navigation was good, should have brought the Samsung. Why do you need to buy a Panasonic TV as well? Because they can talk to each other with their systems.
old john.

Date PurchasedDec 2017

not too bad cant formatt hdd

not a bad unit . my blind housemate wouldn't be without it. but when i tried to formatt the hdd. .. pressing the ok button for 3 seconds doesn't open the delete hdd menu . ive tried everything. i even deleted the recorded programs yet again same thing. im totally lost

Date PurchasedMay 2016

Generally happy with Panasonic Digital Media Recorder but.

Has typical Panasonic feature set but its menu are not always intuitive and sometimes confusing. (The LG DVR it replaced had an excellent menu structure.) Netflix button is great and lots of apps to download, Spotify would be a great app to add to available apps, although the tune in radio app is excellent. Connection to the internet was fairly easy and all other connections are straight forward. It was very well priced so I think it is excellent value for money given the brand reputation of Panasonic.

Date PurchasedAug 2017

Having weird problems with the timer.

Having weird problems with the timer.
(1) We have "+1" channels that repeat programs 1 hour later. Some (only some) programs record off both channels which ties up the tuner so other programs can not be recorded. Delete it off the main channel and it also deletes it off the +1 Channel.
(2) Also very frustrating is the extra time added to the program (even when edited off) which means 2 programs recorded one after the other on the same channel, ties up both tuners, which prevents other recordings.
(3) The auto timer is one minute earlier than the TV stations, so need to adjust timer settings. Solved it by setting time manually, but this needs to be reset if the unit is unplugged.
(4) (Bad software design) When recording and watching the same channel, cannot do live pause. A bit of thought and Live pause could default to the HDD, but some initiative lacking. Altogether Not a patch on my old analogue Pioneer model bought 7 years earlier for less money.

Date PurchasedApr 2017

Panasonic DMR-HWT260 - Even the wife likes it!

Idiot-proof, so even I can use it! What I do not like so far is the Program Guide with its white letters on a white background. Am one of the wrinklies and it is a big distance to TV. Index in manual is a bit sparse. Cannot find an update for this DMR-HWT260, no GN suffix. So hopefully everything works OK. Have not managed to use wireless connection from Telstra broadband modem to Panasonic, but iView, etc. works with a long Ethernet cable instead. Managed to talk Harvey Norman to accept $350 for this unit.

Date PurchasedOct 2017

I've been using it for 4 to 5 weeks now. It does everything it's supposed to do without a hitch.
Only one thing I didn't like, Panasonic in their wisdom changed the positions of the buttons on the remote control
compared with a previous model. Can be annoying when pressing the wrong one.
Otherwise no problems.

Date PurchasedSep 2017

THIS ONE IS A LEMON.

Bought on-line from The Good Guys in February 2017. Right from the start it was a problem. Would not stay turned on when turned on with the remote. Kept shutting itself off and showing "No Signal". The assigned repairer(Custom Electronics) said that there was a problem with the remote. Tried again and it still kept turning itself off, took it back to the repairer who said he then replaced "The board". I also changed the lead from the PVR to the Television. I got it going but half way through a movie, it blacked out again and showed "NO SIGNAL". I am waiting to replace the HMDI cable, but I am getting sick of carting it to and from the repair shop. If the new cable does not fix it, will be seeking either a new one or my money back.

Date PurchasedFeb 2017

Great features and easy to use, but poor USB backup facility

Bought this a few weeks ago to replace my old Topfield PVR which suddenly died. The new Panasonic has some great features like built-in Smart TV converter, great slideshow facility for photos on USB and the ability to read in other videos stored in a huge number of formats. Unfortunately it has one strange design flaw - you can READ in just about anything (via USB) but to WRITE to an external drive, the new drive has to be "registered" by the machine. This involves wiping out anything already on there and converting the external drive into a format not recognized by Windows. (It's probably Linux). So even if you do backup your favorite movies you won't be able to read them if the unit ever fails.

Date PurchasedSep 2017

PVR's everyone should have one!!

User manual not bad to understand. Storage space ample. Recording quality is great. Seems to be reliable so far.
Haven't bought a Panasonic unit before, so still learning!! Love the thinness of it. It is a little different to our last one.
Love the series recording feature. Easy to set up and record tv programmes. Simple to play back.

Date PurchasedMay 2017

Good product that works (so far) as advertised

I purchased this product to replace an older Panasonic PVR (purchased in 2006) which had a damaged antenna input (the product had otherwise worked very well). My experience so far is very good.

If you are already used to a Panasonic PVR, the device is easy to use and navigate. The unit itself is compact. Responses times are good. There are a few differences from my old PVR, most of them for the better.

One of the best features is the Anytime/Anywhere TV feature, which allows you to set and watch recorded TV programmes from anywhere in the world where you have a reliable internet connection. I recently tested this on an overseas holiday and it works quite well. The Netflix and internet features are also well integrated and the response times are good.

Some of the recording options are restrictive (eg. for recording a "series" you are limited to vary the start and end time by 10 minutes, which is often not enough for commercial TV channels that regularly do not keep to their advertised schedule).

Overall, an excellent product.

Date PurchasedApr 2017

Lasted 18 months

Worked great for 18 months then pop and a burning smell and it died. Could push for warranty but can't wait that long. Worked reasonably well when working but sometimes did not record. Will not buy another one will look at something different for the new one.
A a A

Date PurchasedOct 2015

A very good well programmed PVR

You only get what you are prepared to pay for. This unit is far superior to the cheaper versions on the market don't waste your money on anything less. After mucking around with a cheap poorly programmed unit for 12 months this unit is a dream to operate. From a 1 out of 10 to a 9 out of ten.

Easy to use and simple to set up - moron proof !

This is the second unit I have purchased in the last 12 months. It`s simple to use and has great quality recording. It`s only as good as the what the TV stations put on their guides and I usually add 10 minutes sometimes both sides (start and finish) as some channels (10 Melbourne) never run on time according to their guide.
Took me less than 10 minutes to set it up and another 10 to work out how to operate it correctly.
I also like the fact that I can punch a code into the remote control and it will operate my Sony TV (Just basic functions)
My first ever venture into HDD recorders was an early model LG which was total rubbish whereas this machine is a breeze to operate.
It has a 1 terabyte hard drive and I`ve yet to fill it.
It has no facility to playback blurays or DVDs or record onto them but nowadays why would you even want to as it`s obsolete technology !
If you want a basic twin tuner HDD then you can`t go past one of these units and a solid 5 out of 5 from me !

Date PurchasedDec 2016

Can it record daily tv shows. Does it connect to my wifi dongle cordless
daily tv show; you mean without programming it each day ? yes; its somewhere in the manual; I have done it, but cant remember exactly how ! wifi dongle - no idea; sorry. I dont think much of this machine - less logical than my cheaper topfield - which no longer works properly - only because company went bust, so no updates available, very very annoying !Yes does any of the shows - can record 2 channels at one time while you watch tv. I have mine set through wifi (modem) not sure if it works with dongle check in the settings & try it - could also try ringing Panasonic they will help

If I record a video file in mov will this unit play it via a USB stick? What video files does it support? Thanks

Can anyone tell me why I can only series record on a select number of channels? I’ve retuned and retuned but still only get the option to series record programs on certain channels. It’s driving me insane having to remember to add daily recordings because it wont let me add the series.
no idea ! I've only owned machine for a week - find it does less than the cheap Topfield i cant use because it is no longer supported . overall - I'm not at all impressed with this, having paid $150 for the topfield and now $350 for this ! have just spent 37 mins with customer support struggling to understand things that are not included in the manual etc

DMR-HWT260GN