Ryobi 18V One+ RLT1833BL4

Ryobi 18V One+ RLT1833BL4

MPN: RLT1833BL4

See the Best Battery Whipper Snippers in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Steer clear

Bought from Bunnings an I had to take it back the next day for a replacement as the motor was making weird noises.
Second one, went ok for about 3 months, then would not turn stop until I took the battery out. I took this one back to bunnings where they tested it and could not get it to work at all.
Got a refund and am now on the lookout for a petrol one instead.

Purchased in November 2018 at Bunnings Warehouse for $269.00.

Noise Level
Product is used: Weekly
Grass Type Tall grass

One of the few 18v cordless trimmers worth getting

I did a lot of research on cordless line trimmers and it seems the general consensus is the 18v battery ones are all under powered and struggle to perform as expected. Well this particular model having a newer brushless motor helps considerably with more power and efficiency out of the same 18v battery. I came from a typical 30cc 2 stroke petrol trimmer, there is a definite drop in power at full throttle with the Ryobi cordless, however it still has enough oomph to get the job done at full power.

We have about 1000m2 of land with garden edges and fence lines with some tough grass growing up. I was however very surprised when my fully charged genuine Ryobi 5.0Ah battery ran out of juice at just over half way through the yard! (after approx 15mins of heavy use). I switched over to the 4.0ah battery and got the job finished fine. Good points, its nice and lightweight and easier to maneuver compared to the petrol trimmer. Obviously not as loud or smelly as the petrol ones too. I'm not a fan of the cheap bump feed system they've used, but it worked fine without any problems for me on the first run at least. I do wish Ryobi would release an upgraded heavy duty fixed string line head to fit onto the unit and get rid of the bump feed.

Overall i would recommend this unit if you don't want the smell, hassle, weight and noise of the petrol ones. If you already have the 18v Ryobi One+ batteries then that's even better. So far so good and with a total of 6 yrs warranty on these One+ tools now you also get some piece of mind for your purchase. Good job Ryobi.

Purchased in February 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse for $269.00.

Noise Level
Safety
Product is used: Weekly
Grass Type Thick, heavy grass or weeds

Works great, when it works...

When I first got the Ryobi RLT1833BL4 Cordless Line Trimmer from Bunnings I wasn’t exactly sure what to expect. Not a big fan of gardening. Don’t trust whipper snippers. But I live in a rental and, you know, bonds, real estate agents, better than hands-and-knees-weeding etc etc. So did a tonne of research, and felt this model, with its innovative line feeder would do the trick. Winding line on whipper snippers has probably caused more strokes than beer.

It’s very light and quite powerful. A joy to physically use. But, one of the first things I noticed when I put it together was you can’t take the spool feeder apart. *Alarm Bells* anyone? I got one good auto spool feed in (so I thought) and that was it. What I didn’t realise was the line had broken off and was trapped inside the [inacessable] spool feeder, blocking access to the ‘auto feed’ part of the process. Which is kind of necessary if you want to use it. I did manage to pry the trapped line out once. Thought “whew, what a crazy one-off thing to happen!”

Then it happened again about 10 minutes later. NOT HAPPY JAN. Especially given it was my final day cleaning up the yard before handing rental keys back to Real Estate Agent, AND was 38 degrees! Lucky I’d done a lot already, but, you can imagine the sweat beads…

So, being that I’ve only had this product for 3 weeks, I’m using that warranty to get a refund this week. Such a pity, as it could have been love, and I now know I can’t survive without a whipper snipper.

Date PurchasedDec 2018