Samsung Galaxy Tab A

Samsung Galaxy Tab A (2016)

8.0", 10.1", 9.7", etc...
See the Best Tablets in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Listing monitored by Samsung

Pros

• Great value for money

• Lightweight and compact

• Expandable storage options

Cons

• Onscreen keyboard can be fiddly

• Body Durability
  • Security
  • Speed

A1 Rogers
A1 RogersSouth East Queensland, QLD

Samsung will not fix an 80 year olds tablet under warranty!

Purchased in June 2020 for $300.00.

Davo
DavoPeel, WA

Slow and short battery life

I bought this tablet 6 weeks ago and cannot believe how slow it is, worse than my 5 year old Samsung. The battery life is also worse, sometimes going flat overnight.
The touch screen is that sensitive, when I try to scroll it goes to the page instead of scrolling.
I don't know if it is faulty or if this is normal, but if its normal its a real shame as I have always been happy with Samsung products

Purchased in May 2021 for $200.00.

goldcoastlady
goldcoastladySouth East Queensland, QLD

Perfect

Brought this from a garage sale for a very cheap price ((with no charger)). I purchased a charger for 30.00 , did a factory reset and this iPad is brilliant. I made sure all the software updates were done. Screen is brilliant in low light and I use this to take on trips where there is a lot of walking. Will never replace a laptop but is so much lighter to use. Samsung made some excellant products back in the day

Purchased in January 2021.

JaySouth East Queensland, QLD

Good and bad

used for surfing media, FB, light gaming.
Speed and capacity performance are very good for the money. Screen is prone to freezing (often) and varies a lot in its touch-sensitivity. On-screen keyboard is a bit of a nightmare, anyone wanting to do a lot of messaging should
look elsewhere.
This tablet's success is due largely to a shortage of competition, I think.

Purchased in July 2019 for $248.00.

Jay

Maybe I have a "dud", not typical of the Tab A, but the keyboard is a horror story. The fiddly touch-screen adds to the problems, so this Tab A is my last. In use it's harder to use than my old 2014 Tab A.

AdaSamsung

Would you be able to send us a message to the link above so we can further look into the troubles you are having with your Tab A keyboard, Jay?

David Nolan
David NolanNortheast, VIC

Great service and Support

My wife bought a Samsung SM-T590 in March 2019. We had some issues with connectivity after 18 months and were concerned that the warranty may be expired. After contacting Samsung they immediately offered free return and repair. All quick turnaround and constant communication. Had the tablet back within 9 days. We live in regional Victoria and considering the covid post go slow were impressed with this speed. Now fixed. Thanks to Kath and all the Samsung team. Dave and Sharon.

Purchased in March 2019 at Harvey Norman for $400.00.

KathSamsung

Best personal electronic devices in 2020!

ProductReview.com.au has analysed a year's worth of reviews to find the best wireless headphones, mobile phones and tablets in 2020. Compare specific reviewer ratings, ranging from Battery Life and Sound / Camera Quality to Value for Money and Ease of Use to help you choose the best personal tech.

Wendy Z.1 Nov 2019
best-personal-electronic-devices-in-2020
Yue
YueGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

A pretty nice tablet for watching movies

I purchased the tablet for my parents to watch online videos (e.g youtube) and to do everyday web chats with me, so overall speaking, this tablet suits our needs well. The color looks pretty vibrant on the display when watching movies and there is a dobly atoms sound effect available which is great. The general software performance on this table is ok and is much faster than their old tab4, so we are satisfied with this purchase. The front LED display got cracked before, I had to purchase a spare display to replace it myself, so you may want to my a screen protector to prevent it from accidental damages.

Purchased in June 2018.

Samsung AUSamsung
unhappy customer
unhappy customer

samsung 10.5 tablet good quality cant complain

So i have never used a samsung phone and wanted to see how good there quality was so i decided to buy an ipad and for the price, quality, and long lasting battery that i need for fishing i believe this tablet is worth it, i would go samsung over apple any day but thats just me as they have plenty of apps and a lot less fluff

Purchased in January 2020 at Samsung Online store for $299.00.

AdaSamsung

We appreciate the feedback you have provided! If any questions ever arise, please don't hesitate to reach out to us.

He Y.
He Y.Greater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

A good gift for my mum

I bought this tablet for my mum so she could watch youtube movies and surf the web while she is in bed. It's easy to use and not very heavy, the screen resolution is sharp for a 10 inch tablet. It also has a simulated Dolby atoms sound effect which is a plus for watching movies and TV shows. The camera on this tablet does not produce quality pictures, it can under expose when the ambient light is dark. Video quality from the camera is ok when it's light however it struggles in the dark and produces lot of noise. In addition we do still find sometimes this tablet is a bit laggy when launching applications.

This tablet is suitable for surfing the internet and watching movies but not suitable for taking photos.

Purchased in April 2019 at Officeworks for $348.00.

Cameron F.
Cameron F.Wide Bay-Burnett, QLD

Worst absolute worst product imaginable

Got this simply to fly DJI drone
after finding out just how horrible the touch screen was. Went through the play store
i tried over 100 times ... yes 100+ times to tick the “i accept terms button” only to take me the privacy statement again and again and again Literally over 100 times as the “tick box to accept” did not work .... at all

the touch screen was horrible the speed was woeful and the pic attached is how angry the product made me. Total time in ownership ... less than 40 minutes. I will never. Ever. Again purchase 1 single Samsung product again nor recommend one... absolute piece of crap
total cost $280, less than 40 minutes use

Purchased in June 2020 at JB Hi-Fi for $280.00.

Sam
SamGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Great for basic

Great for basic use and surfing internet, not great for movies or Netflix. Apps are decent in smooth easy use
Satisfy basic needs of old people or children as it’s drop proof too

Purchased in November 2018 at Samsung Online store for $263.20.

MickSamsung
Pea Scram
Pea ScramWide Bay-Burnett, QLD

Served me well

Won it at a completion 4 years ago, worked really well the first two, but got a bit slow on the recent ones. It still worked well though. It works really well for Games and Movies, and is fairly cheap as well. Eventually earlier this year, the LCD screen died and its mostly black. I have replaced it with a Samsung Galaxy J5, and they are pretty similar. I would definitely recommend to other people.

Purchased in October 2016.

Body Durability
Battery Life
Speaker Quality
Display Quality
Screen Durability
Angie
AngieSydney, NSW

Product quality

The tablet great for kids. However the pixel quality very poor. If i knew I wouldn't have purchased it. I have bought Samsung before. Seems to go backwards in technology. The specs, speed is average.

Purchased in January 2020 at Kogan.com.

Trude
TrudeMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Nice entry level tablet

Purchased in April 2020 at JB Hi-Fi Online Store for $255.00.

KathSamsung

Great to hear you are currently enjoying your Samsung Tab A, Trude. We really appreciate the time spent to share you feedback with us and I will be sure to forward this on to the team :)

Kath

Andrew
AndrewRyde

Piece of junk

Only had 8gb of memory, and as it is limited to Android 5.1.1, it cannot use external storage, meaning you are limited, in our case, to about 10 apps. Admittedly 2 years old now, but essentially a brick, as we cannot update it, nor install new apps. Horrible support from Samsung, an OS update would alleviate the storage issue, alas we are stuck in a 5+ year old os. Probably my most regrettable purchase. I'll think twice about buying from Samsung again.

Purchased in November 2018 at JB Hi-Fi Retail Stores for $250.00.

lai
laiSydney, NSW

Slow tablet

Doesn't charge fast. It's like they gave me a dud charger because my Samsung mobile phone charger charges it faster! I sis ok have the Samsung tablet A 10.5 (model before this) and it's way better !

Purchased in March 2020.

Stuart G.asked
Galaxy Tab A (2016)

Can I use an SD card

Jay

Yes, easily, check online to see how big a card for your model

Pete H
Pete Hasked
Galaxy Tab A (2016)

Our fairly recent Tab A has carked it with a message that there is moisture detected in the power supply.
It has never been outside the house.
Is this a bug?
Help please!
Peter

KathSamsung

Hey Pete. I'm sorry to hear of this :( From what you've described, it would be best to have your Tab A booked in for assessment by our technicians. You can visit your nearest Samsung Studio to get a member of our team to assist you with this. To see if your nearest Studio is open -> https://www.samsung.com/au/samsungstore/

If your local Samsung studio store has been temporarily closed or you’re unable to make it into a Samsung Experience Store, you can follow the link below to book your device in through Australia Post.

Kath

Robyn W.
Robyn W.asked
Galaxy Tab A 8.0" Wi-Fi

Bought my tablet Christmas 2016, and it has been great up to now, except that battery life isn't wonderful. Just use for email, facebook, messenger, video messenger, jigsaw puzzles and free cell, etc. Not for netflix or any other streaming. Since last week though keep getting message *close app and *send feedback. This stops me from doing anything else and is very annoying. Is there any way I can fix it. Can't afford a new one.

AdaSamsung

Hi Robyn, we have provided a link below to assist you with apps crashing on your tablet.

In regard to the battery of your device, there are a few steps to help you with this.

However, if you continue to believe there may be a fault with your Tab A, we recommend for you to head to drop your device off to be assessed by our technicians.

You can also drop your device off at your local Australia Post office.

For our list of available stores:

See all Samsung Galaxy Tab A (2016) questions

Get an answer from our members and Samsung representatives

Samsung Galaxy Tab A (2016)

Features

Samsung’s Galaxy Tab A tablet was launched in March of 2016. The tablet comes with a 7-inch display with a resolution of 800x1280 pixels. It is powered by a 1.3GHz quad-core processor and comes with 1.5GB of RAM. The Galaxy Tab A runs Android 5.1 and is powered by a 4000mAh non-removable battery.

As far as the cameras are concerned, the Galaxy Tab A on the rear packs a 5-megapixel camera and a 2-megapixel camera on the front for selfies.

The Galaxy Tab A is based on Android 5.1 and packs 8GB of inbuilt storage that can be expanded via a microSD card (up to 200GB). It measures 186.90 x 108.80 x 8.70mm (height x width x thickness) and weighs 283g. It was launched in black and white colour options.

Connectivity options for the Galaxy Tab A include Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, GPS, and USB OTG. Sensors on the tablet include an accelerometer, ambient light sensor, gyroscope, and proximity sensor

The Galaxy Tab A 10.1 comes with Android 6.0 Marshmallow, customized with TouchWiz software and Samsung apps such as S Planner, WatchON, Smart Stay, Multi-Window, Group Play, and the S-Pen suite for the S-Pen version.

What reviewers thought

Many reviewers have used this tablet for surfing social media, streaming videos and light gaming. It’s very lightweight, making it convenient to use and the speed and capacity performance make this product good value for money. The screen uses vivid colours and the tablet has great sound quality.

The features that let it down include the screen which is prone to freezing and varies in its touch sensitivity. The on-screen keyboard can also be fiddly to use.

Compare all 12 Samsung Galaxy Tab A (2016)
CategoryTabletsTabletsTabletsTablets
Price (RRP) $549.00$349.00
Features3.5mm Headphone Jack and Stereo Speakers3.5mm Headphone Jack, Expandable Storage and Stereo Speakers
Network Connectivity4G + Wi-FiWi-Fi Only
Charging PortUSB-CUSB-C
Manufacturer Warranty2 year(s)2 year(s)2 year(s)2 year(s)
Display
Colour / FinishBlack, Blue or WhiteBlack, Blue or White
Dimensions 260 x 161.1 x 8 mm260 x 161.1 x 8 mm
Body MaterialAluminiumAluminium
Release dateAug 2018Aug 2018
Replaced bySamsung Galaxy Tab ASamsung Galaxy Tab ASamsung Galaxy Tab ASamsung Galaxy Tab A
Compare all 12 Samsung Galaxy Tab A (2016)