Schick Hydro 5

Schick Hydro 5

Very Good - But Possibly Problematic

One reads very mixed reviews of Schick Hydro 5, some saying it's very good and others saying it is sub-average. And actually, they can both be right - depending on what shaving cream or lather is used in conjunction with it.

Schick Hydro puts out an awful lot of lubricant compared to other lubricated razors - you can see lots of gooey lubricant coming off it and one's skin while shaving.

When I use a new Schick Hydro 5 cartridge in conjunction with the more expensive creams and gels, which are either slicker or more cushioning than the cheap stuff, I get a hopeless shave from it - nowhere near a close enough shave despite several passes - and with possible irritation from the multiple passes trying to get it to shave close enough. But when I use it with cheap canned lather, I get an excellent shave.

Further down the track, as the cartridge lubricant starts to decrease or run out, then I get a close shave using the more expensive creams and gels, and a lousier shave using cheap canned lather. I use the Razorpit cartridge cleaner to extend the life of cartridge blades, so I have actually got to the point of the lubricant being dried out and still having sharp blades.

Oddly enough, I find canned Schick Hydro shaving gel to have too much lubricant in it to give an optimal shave using a new cartridge of Schick Hydro, it being somewhere in between the cheap lather and the good creams.

Thus, keeping the above factors in mind, one can get a superb shave from Schick Hydro 5.
Regards.

Purchased in June 2015.

Best razor I’ve found

I’m a female and this is hands down my favourite razor. It glides so easily and doesn’t cut my skin or cause ingrown hairs like many other razors do. My legs are sooo smooth after using this razor. The only con is the price of the refills!! I usually wait until they go on sale.

Purchased in January 2019 at Woolworths.

Best razor I have ever owned in 20 years

Amazing razor, I recently switched from a lifetime with gilette, i am sooo happy that i changed, very smooth razor, glides over your face, far superior to any gillete razor ive ever owned

Purchased in February 2019 at Woolworths for $13.00.

Disappointed

If two blades are better than one and three blades are better than two then five blades should be streets ahead. However, that unfortunately was not my experience. This product was expensive and to my mind a two blade throw away does a better job. It takes much longer to shave and to get a smooth shave I have to go over the same spot time after time. Very disappointing.

Purchased in February 2018 at Coles Supermarkets for $12.00.

Blunt blades

I don't normally use these blades as I use electric but I am in awe of anyone that has the guts to use these blunt things on their face. Their hydro 5 shaving cream also has a putrid artificial smell that I couldn't get rid of.

Best shaver ever used!

After trying so many different Gillette products I decided to try something different and to my surprise schick hydro 5 was amazing I will definitely stick with this one highly recommended.

Schick hydro 5 best razor blades ever

I've been a Gillette user for 54 years well not no more after trying schick hydro 5 lt will be my daily shaver you ask why blades last twice as long are half the price and give twice the shave need I say more

Not bad at all

I bought the Schick hydro 5 from the gold cross chemist in towradgi and found it to shave pretty good compared to the older style Schick shavers and it's a reasonable cost price shaver along with the replacement blades and doesn't cut my skin easily as well so I'd recommend the Schick hydro 5 shavers

Great Design

I was lucky enough to win this great Razor HYDRO 5,i found it most enjoyable to use ,the Hydro 5 specially with the Hydrating gel as it leaves the skin very nice ,as some one else said that they get a rash ,well that is the same for me as i am unable to use an electric shaver ,many thanks will use it all the time
Very easy to use with great handle .
Not enough spare blades.

Worth every cent

I am a person who hates shaving, i have always been prone to shaving rash. I have tried single, dual and triple blades, glide strips , everything. I resorted back to cheap single blade because why pay extra when they all give me shaving rash. I tried one of these recently, and no more rash! I love it!
Smooth, no rash, NO RASH
like all these things,a bit pricey, but worth it really