Sentinel Spectrum

17 questions from our users

Sue M

Sue Masked

My miniature schnauzer is 4 yrs old and has been on sentinel spectrum every month since the day we got her. But once last yr. She got fleas from the backyard and now its happening again...what can I do to rid her of them?

John K

John Kasked

Our American Bulldog pup is six months old and weighs about 18kg. Is Sentinel Spectrum blue okay for her?

Beth M.asked

My dog Lucy has chewed this chewable correctly every time it has been given to her, but this time she swallowed it! Will it dissolve in her system or come out when she does her business outdoors?

Hilary
Hilary

Hi Beth, it will just break down in her stomach and be absorbed.

Beth M.

Thank you for answering quickly Hilary!

Silvie

Silvieasked

I gave my dog sentinel on 21 can I give him snother tbl on 4 as he has a probably flea issues?

MarkMelbourne

No, because Sentinel does not kill adult fleas. You'll be overdosing the dog with medicine and wasting your money. Have a read of my review in this forum, where in the 2nd part there are details on how to deal with adult fleas effectively.

Astonasked

I can't remember if I gave my dog Sentinal Spectrum on 1st December when she was due. Should I give her one now (12th Dec) just in case & then every month on 12th or could it be dangerous?

Natalie

You can quite safely give your dog another Sentinal dose, but next month take the date from the date you gave the SECOND dose and not the first - so if you usually dose on the 1st of the month, and cant remember, and you give your dog a dose on the 17th, make next months dose the 17th of the month. Hope this helps!

MarkMelbourne

I wonder what Natalie bases that answer on? I'd be asking my vet first. Suggestion: as you open the pacjw

Rhonda

Rhondaasked

Sentinel Spectrum Yellow (Medium Dog)

Gave my dog freedom 45. It didnt seem to work. Got his sentinel refilled. When am I able to use it? He is a yorkie kid weighs 12.65 pounds.

MarkMelbourne

You should ask your vet rather than relying on possibly incorrect advice sourced from here. It depends on if the active ingredients may interact, when you last treated your dog, how old your dog is, and whether you are trying to deal with worms or fleas.

Natalie

I would ring the Vet Nurse at your regular Veterinary Clinic and ask, and I am certain that they will be happy to correctly and safely advise you. Sometimes ingredients should not be combined if you have recently dosed your dog, so please ask a Professional rather than risk your dog's health by taking a lay-persons help. Best of luck with your little Yorkie! :) Cheers NatNat

GeeBee8190

GeeBee8190asked

Sentinel Spectrum Green (Small Dog)

Does it prevent ticks as well?

Barb

Barbasked

Does giving your dog a bath affect the effectiveness of sentinel?

Mike
Mike

I can't say for certain, since I've never heard of that possibility. My uneducated guess is that baths would have no effect.

DofQ
DofQ

I doubt it very much. There is nothing in the instructions to suggest that wetting or bathing your dog would have any impact. A vet would know for sure.

Natalie

No absolutely not. As Sentinel Spectrum is an internal wormer and flea killer bathing your dog will have no effect whatsoever, as it states clearly on the Instructions.

T123

T123asked

Sentinel Spectrum Yellow (Medium Dog)

Hi, my dog has eaten the chew but approx 12 hours later has vomitted. Does this mean that the treatment is ineffective? Should we give him another chew?
He used to have advocate liquid on his back, although this would affect his mood and make him very withdrawn and somewhat depressed.
Any ideas?

Kim
Kim

Hi, i would suggest calling the vet and asking them, my dog had a bad skin reaction to sentinal (not sure thats correct spelling) its taken a month for her to be clear of all irritations

cindy
cindy

stop the chews and see your vet

KITKAT

Get rid of this junk! I gave it to my 2 year old beautiful female chihuahua and it killed her. I am very upset about it. I want my baby back. She was healthy till I gave her this poison. Let your vet know! Stand Firm!

Donna B

Donna Basked

Does sentinel spectrum kill the fleas or just prevent the eggs from hatching? Vs Trifexis I think Trifexis will kill and prevent but Sentinel does not kill only prevents hatching is this correct? I need to know ASAP will have to buy one or the other tomorrow when my dogs get checked.

T137652  Deb
T137652 Deb

Not sure have not used this product since giving it to my dog who then had a massive seizure

KITKAT

Both of these products will kill your pets. Do your research!

bretann

bretannasked

Is there a better alternative than Sentinel Spectrum as my dog wont accept it. Even cut up fine in her food does'nt work as once she smells it she leaves her food
Ive read other reviews on flea/heartworm treatments and some have alarming side effects

T137652  Deb
T137652 Deb

Try to ask your vet what they recommend and i also find it helpful if you coat it in peanut paste

Jane R
Jane R

I have a dog that will not take these chews unless I make a small ball of butter with the chew inside then she wolfs it down.

Goldenmum
Goldenmum

Nexguard works much better and my 2 dogs don't hesitate when eating them.

chrisasked

Given my little dog sentinal flea and worm treatment 5 days ago still can see fleas. I don't think it's working! Can I give another flea treatment to my little dog without harming him like comfortis?

Kristen Heaslip
Kristen Heaslip

Hi, i wouldnt give your dog anymore oral flea treatment if she has already had the Sentinel tablet. The tabs actually kill eggs and therefore stop future fleas from hatching. You might just have to give your dog a good bath with flea shampoo to kill the existing adult fleas. Once gone hopefully all should be good for you. Goodluck.

Kathy
Kathy

I agree with Kristen. I would bath your dog to remove existing fleas. I bath my girls in teatree shampoo for dogs . Its available at Coles. It works well. Good luck.

chris

Have washed him in flea wash .

beth martinez

beth martinezasked

Does my dog need to be heartworm tested before i start him on Sentinel, and how about ticks? I have fleas and ticks?!!

Azale
Azale

Yes, your vet will have to test your dog for heartworms prior to getting sentinel as it is dangerous for your dog to take sentinel if it is heartworm positive. Sentinel will control fleas by preventing the eggs from hatching, but it does nothing for ticks. You would have to use a separate product like frontline to prevent ticks. :( You might also ask your vet about Revolution, it's topical and applied monthly if I remember correctly. I believe it prevents heartworms and also prevents fleas and ticks.

sarah boyd
sarah boyd

Frontline seems to be losing its effectiveness.
Try Vectra.

Mary Rogers

Mary Rogersasked

Can this cause vomitting on small dogs?

Heather F

I have only german shepherds. But my sister-in-law had a small dog and it didn't cause vomiting with Karma.

Still Hungry

I am unsure, perhaps check with your local vet first.

pam

I have a teacup maltese and have just started Spectrum. It gives her the runs the next day but other than that ok
The only thing is how poisonous is it? Is there any natural products for heart worm fleas etc?
Would appreciate feed back.

Mark Mad

Mark Madasked

Can I give my dog capstar if he's already on Sentinel spectrum?

Yes you can.

Charlotte Hughed

Charlotte Hughedasked

Vet gave Sentinel for our dog to kill the baby heart worms, in 3 months will give treatment to kill adult and youth heart worms. My dog is one day out from the first phase , and today doesn't have any energy. Unable to hold urine, laying down all the time, doesn't have the energy to go to feed and water bowls. Do we need to call bet, or will he start to feel better as days hp?

Robert Holt
Robert Holt

Hi Charlotte, I thought Sentinel was used for prevention, not cure of an existing problem. My dog has never had any adverse reactions and he is over 2 years old. As a matter of fact, he had his monthly tablet today, shaved finely in yoghurt. There is no way he will eat the tablet on his own. I would take the dog back to the Vet as soon as possible.

mark

you need to take your dog back to the vet straight away.my dog has been on sentinel for a while and i have never had a problem with her getting sick.

pamasked

Hi my son has put his dog on sentinel it could have been a coincidence but she developed severe itching redness from scratching in patches and had to go on antibiotics and cream and medicated wash got that cleared up and he gave her next dose 10 days ago and the scratching is back could the dog be allergic to this product ? Thanks for any ideas pam

mark

i use it on my dog and i have never had a problem.i use advance to kill the fleas and sentinel for worms and flea cycle control.and i do it every month and my dog has never had any problems ever.the best thing to do is ask your vet.because i find that very strange because i know other people that use the product and they all say it works great.

pam

thankyou will check with vet could be anything she is still on it so will see how it goes

Get an answer from our members and Elanco representatives