MPNs: 36037240, ILCE-5000L/B and ILCE-5000L/W
4.0 from 1 review

See the Best Mirrorless Cameras in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Great little camera

I spent a month reading every review I could find on this class of compact mirrorless cameras, before going for the Sony. And I've been very glad I did.

PROS
• Great all round photo quality - not just for this class, but in general
• Several auto modes will take photos the vast majority of people will be happy with
• Very compact
• Stabiliser in the lens
• Interchangeable lenses
• Not cheap, but within most people's budget
• Good battery life
• Easy and straightforward to use
• Great auto focus - just half press photo button and it almost always works flawlessly
• Some very cool style modes - retro, sepia, single color highlighted, macro and more
• RAW and JPG image formats
• Attractive in silver - the color I bought
• You can buy retro-looking aftermarket tan cases for it
• Sony program for managing photos makes it very easy to transfer images with one click.

CONS
• Panorama mode a bit twitchy - seems to cancel the photo about 33% of the time.
• Body looks like metal but is plastic - this keeps it light but some purists may want a metal frame.
• No touch screen on the digital display - I don't mind this but some people might.
• Digital display only folds up and down - no other rotations.
• No traditional viewfinder - I thought this might be a problem but it didn't bother me.
• Large files like video can take a while to download.
• Video footage doesn't look as good as photos - at least on auto mode.

This seems like a lot of Cons, but I've tried to be as nit-picky as possible.
I took this camera on a very rugged camping trip including about 8 hours of constant, heavy offroad bouncing around, and at one point I realized it was on the floor just taking all the impacts. But it worked fine then and has continued to do so, taking beautiful photos with ease.

Very happy with this purchase and would recommend highly.